COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-23-20, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,035 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
The Olympics will be postponed.

https://twitter.com/cbrennansports/s...301328391?s=20

Article says the games will likely be pushed back to 2021.
Yeah, they had to. Even if it's totally gone by June 1 , there still would be the issues of athletes out of proper conditioning and all the qualifying events that wouldn't have been done in time. Total bummer, but there realistically wasn't another option (besides cancelling, which would have been way worse).
Old 03-23-20, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,161 Likes on 865 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Yeah, they had to. Even if it's totally gone by June 1 , there still would be the issues of athletes out of proper conditioning and all the qualifying events that wouldn't have been done in time. Total bummer, but there realistically wasn't another option (besides cancelling, which would have been way worse).
Yeah there simply won't be enough time to hold Olympic trials and get the athletes ready. They can't hold the games in the Fall due to many conflicts with pro leagues.

Holding it back to 2021 seems best and allows everyone to get their bearings straight.

But, Tokyo is going to take a massive hit on the 2020 marketing and merchandise.
Old 03-23-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 71 Likes on 53 Posts

Maryland Governor Hogan has ordered all non-essential businesses to close, starting at 5pm today. I was a little surprised, I was expecting a "shelter-in-place" order.
The following users liked this post:
Trevor (03-24-20)
Old 03-23-20, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 235 Likes on 144 Posts

Here's what my cousin, who works for ConEd in NYC shared in our family group chat today:

"So it's getting pretty crazy here in the city. The hospitals are putting up huge tents in the street and parking lots just for Corona patients. We aren't even putting meters in. Just running electric from manholes to tents. Brooklyn Maimonidis took an entire block. 10th Ave from corner to corner closed and a huge tent put up. Coney Island hospital is in the parking lot of the Cyclones stadium. Those are the ones done already."
Old 03-23-20, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 438 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
If that's true, I see there being a "Hostel" type scenario among the rich. How many people can we "accidentally" kill and get away with a pithy settlement? I'll spin the wheel with a malfunctioning elevator VIRUS.
Fixed. Now you all have your answer.
Old 03-23-20, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 406 Likes on 288 Posts

Distributed computing, i.e. if you have a computer or a cell phone, you can help:

400,000 new people have joined [email protected]'s fight against COVID-19

The quest to thwart the virus has strong help from distributed computing.

https://www.engadget.com/2020/03/23/...&utm_source=dl

https://foldingathome.org/
Old 03-23-20, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Distributed computing, i.e. if you have a computer or a cell phone, you can help:

I keep forgetting to do this. I tried to find a meme generator to stick a geforce card in Gimli's hand for a "you have my Geforce!" meme but no luck.

Will try to do this tonight when I log off the work laptop and swap back to my PC.
Old 03-23-20, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 212 Likes on 149 Posts

Talking to a lot of our clients and vendors... the fear of shutdown and going out of business is far, FAR greater than the fear of the virus, both contracting it and spreading it. The business aspect feels more tangible/real to them. And I'm sure the virus will be more tangible soon, but I'm worried that it won't be soon enough.
Some are trying to balance working while staying safe, but it's a weird tightrope.
Old 03-23-20, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 86 Likes on 73 Posts

They canceled my heart test for next week. I won't lose sleep over it.

I asked if I could do a doctor's apt over the phone (w/Medicare) w/o Skype and they couldn't give me a direct answer.

Michigan is shutting down tonight at midnight(except for essential stuff).
Old 03-23-20, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Governor Pritzker in Illinois' press conference today: 1,300+ cases in Illinois, 12 deaths.

The Governor reported he spoke to two venitlator manfacturers today about procuring ventilators for hospitals.
  • The first one told him IF he could get any, he is competing against FEMA to get them. Yes, he is competing against the same federal government who is not helping.
  • The second one told him he should place as large of an order as he possibly can because he is comepting against FOREIGN COUNTRIES for the ventilators they are making.

I'll post the rest in the political thread.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 03-23-20 at 03:26 PM.
Old 03-23-20, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post

Hate to be cynical but...it's a nice gesture, but pointless in saving lives. I guess it makes some people feel good while they're bunkered at home. The delay is not the computing..it's the standard operating procedures that generally need to happen when a new vaccine is found. If it's one used already, that's a little better, but still needs testing.

Make darn sure your pc can handle [email protected] This probably isn't the best time for a pc to breakdown and having to get parts for it.

What we need to really ask ourselves is...can we forego all testing for safety, and immediately use whatever we got...if the number of people it can save is higher than the number that could die from taking it.
Old 03-23-20, 03:33 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

One more week of this shutdown in Los Angeles will absolutely destroy the restaurant industry here. Unless there is some sort of Federal and Local tax amnesty for the remainder of the year, top to bottom for all sales (alcohol included) including payroll, vendor, etc.. The mom and pop restaurants that you love including some chains, like Denny's and I-Hop will not be able to reopen without a massive bailout. The chains that will survive are the obvious ones like Starbucks, McDonalds, Jack in the Box, IN-n-Out and the like that already have drive-thru windows. The chains that are trying to survive, for example, Buffalo Wild Wings are doing a fraction of their business, this is very bad especially when a majority of their sales/profit comes from alcohol.

I'm calling it now, sadly 50% of the restaurants you know and love will cease to exist when this is all over. Here's the biggest idiocy of all of this, people are still going through drive-thru's/markets/Costco/etc and people are still exchanging money, all of a sudden currency is immune to transferring COVID-19? Don't believe the hype people! What a scam.
Old 03-23-20, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Governor Pritzker in Illinois' press conference today: 1,300+ cases in Illinois, 12 deaths.

The Governor reported he spoke to two venitlator manfacturers today about procuring ventilators for hospitals.
  • The first one told him IF he could get any, he is competing against FEMA to get them. Yes, he is competing against the same federal government who is not helping.
  • The second one told him he should place as large of an order as he possibly can because he is comepting against FOREIGN COUNTRIES for the ventilators they are making.

I'll post the rest in the political thread.
There’s no way that death count is accurate. My fiancée’s aunt is a respiratory therapist on the front lines of a smaller south suburban hospital and she has seen 3 deaths from this already. My guess is they haven’t been confirmed Covid-19 but she has been in this for decades and called this virus “ugly”. And by the way last week when she skeptical of how bad it could get.

Not trying to be gloom and doom. I just don’t think the numbers accurately tell the story of what’s actually happening in some places. I very much doubt she has 25% of the state’s cases there - it’s not even Cook county.
Old 03-23-20, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post
One more week of this shutdown in Los Angeles will absolutely destroy the restaurant industry here. Unless there is some sort of Federal and Local tax amnesty for the remainder of the year, top to bottom for all sales (alcohol included) including payroll, vendor, etc.. The mom and pop restaurants that you love including some chains, like Denny's and I-Hop will not be able to reopen without a massive bailout. The chains that will survive are the obvious ones like Starbucks, McDonalds, Jack in the Box, IN-n-Out and the like that already have drive-thru windows. The chains that are trying to survive, for example, Buffalo Wild Wings are doing a fraction of their business, this is very bad especially when a majority of their sales/profit comes from alcohol.

I'm calling it now, sadly 50% of the restaurants you know and love will cease to exist when this is all over. Here's the biggest idiocy of all of this, people are still going through drive-thru's/markets/Costco/etc and people are still exchanging money, all of a sudden currency is immune to transferring COVID-19? Don't believe the hype people! What a scam.
The scam is California not putting a temporary halt to all billing when it comes to real estate and property for businesses. Should be a 3-month waiver for EVERYONE. Make it up later. PG&E just got away with 80+ manslaughter counts, so I'm not sure why CA can't do something in the business sector to help people. It's not that difficult. But they're dragging their ass. Like most cities in the country who don't want to pay anything and are just sitting on their thumbs, waiting for Big Sam to send them a fat check. That's just wrong. The money will be coming too late.
Old 03-23-20, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 420 Likes on 333 Posts

50% seems low.

Exchanging money doesn't worry me as much - fomites are secondary for this disease, these kind of viruses usually die pretty quickly on cotton/linen (20 minute-ish), and I wash my hands after handling it even in healthy situations.

It's having to be around other shoppers, the cashier or person bringing the food to your car that concerns me with all that.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-23-20 at 03:49 PM.
Old 03-23-20, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
There’s no way that death count is accurate. My fiancée’s aunt is a respiratory therapist on the front lines of a smaller south suburban hospital and she has seen 3 deaths from this already. My guess is they haven’t been confirmed Covid-19 but she has been in this for decades and called this virus “ugly”. And by the way last week when she skeptical of how bad it could get.

Not trying to be gloom and doom. I just don’t think the numbers accurately tell the story of what’s actually happening in some places. I very much doubt she has 25% of the state’s cases there - it’s not even Cook county.
But how many from actual flu, though. The flu kills around 80K a year in the US. That's like 6,500 a month. Look up Illinois for flu averages. Seeing people die at hospitals isn't something new.

Also, here's a reality on flu vaccines. The CDC reported they were 45% successful in the last flu season:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/...cid=mm6907a1_w

Old 03-23-20, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 830 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by hal9000 View Post

What is the hype and what is the scam here?
Old 03-23-20, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
But how many from actual flu, though. The flu kills around 80K a year in the US. That's like 6,500 a month. Look up Illinois for flu averages. Seeing people die at hospitals isn't something new.

Also, here's a reality on flu vaccines. The CDC reported they were 45% successful in the last flu season:

Flu vaccine is hit or miss because they predict what the strain will be that year and find its closest relative -- but we usually have some defenses toward it and those that get vaccinated usually have symptoms of far lesser severity, despite still testing positive for Flu. On average, flu kills about 37,500 in the us, no clue where you got 80k from.

COVID-19 is still warming up, hopefully the Summer nukes it like generally happens with the Flu, but it does appear to be ramping up - ie: It took about four weeks for the US death count to go from < 5 to 100, which was last Tuesday. We're now hitting 100+ deaths a day. That'll likely hold for a couple days before jumping again.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-23-20 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-23-20, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post

You make an interesting point I had not considered ... deaths who had not been tested or had not received positive test results ...

(Note: I had put 1,300+ as that was an estimate provided ... I guess it is actually just a snip under 1,300).

Anyway, here is the current snapshot from the Illinois Department of Public Health.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) | IDPH
Old 03-23-20, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

Oh I'm sure a lot of flu cases are her regular patients. My understanding is Covid-19 creates a distinctive look on patients' film and I would assume this is what she saw for these patients.

Given the bad match on this year's flu vaccine at least our current shelter in place should be helping to knock a lot of those cases down.
Old 03-23-20, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 154 Likes on 83 Posts

I don't know if there's any correlation or if it's totally coincidental but I noticed that I'm not receiving nearly as many scam or robocalls. The phone usually goes off 8 to 10 times a day, but now ... many one? I don't get it, but I ain't gonna knock it!
Old 03-23-20, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 103 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
I don't know if there's any correlation or if it's totally coincidental but I noticed that I'm not receiving nearly as many scam or robocalls. The phone usually goes off 8 to 10 times a day, but now ... many one? I don't get it, but I ain't gonna knock it!
That's weird. I would think robocall scamming is an ideal work from home job.
Old 03-23-20, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Italy looks like it might be stablilzing a bit. Fewer new cases and fewer deaths in the last few days (6550 new cases Saturday, 5560 yesterday, 4800 today in cases, and 793 deaths on Saturday, 651 deaths on Sunday, and looking like around 601 deaths on Monday). Too small of a sample really but it's better than the alternative.
Old 03-23-20, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,035 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Originally Posted by tasha99 View Post
That's weird. I would think robocall scamming is an ideal work from home job.
It probably requires a bank of phones and networked computers. It probably can't be a work from home job without major restructuring.
Old 03-23-20, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 830 Likes on 655 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
It probably requires a bank of phones and networked computers. It probably can't be a work from home job without major restructuring.
I also would've thought it was mainly in foreign countries.

Which makes me wonder, for example, is India in the clear on this (with their population density) or are they just being opaque?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.