Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-22-20, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 174 Likes on 136 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
That's not entirely true.

Verizon's store is closed while Best Buy is open. Essential? Non-Essential? The STATE guidelines under this order don't really fit. Is it essential to buy a new TV or computer? No. A new refrigerator if yours breaks? Absolutely.

How about auto body shops? A car doesn't have to look pretty to be drivable! (And I bring that one up because I've got a car being fixed, so that one I'm very familiar with.)

The state guidelines are limited and leave a bunch of stuff in the middle. Local guidelines in some cases are far more specific.
Best Buy at least sells computer and networking equipment that a lot of people have need for right now.
Old 03-22-20, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
A friend posted this on Facebook. It's the experience of someone who had COVID.
I need to clarify that a friend reposted this on Facebook. It wasn't our friend who got sick. I think it was a friend of hers, but I don't know that for certain.
Old 03-22-20, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like we just hit 400 deaths. WA looks to have flattened it's curve (close to the S Korea model) but we had a bad day yesterday with 11 deaths.
Old 03-22-20, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 476 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Best Buy at least sells computer and networking equipment that a lot of people have need for right now.
Got this email yesterday

Order # xxxxx

Decker,

Due to recent events, your selected store has been temporarily closed with a reopening date that has not yet been determined. As a result, your order xxxxxxx will not be available for pickup at our BBY_122-LAS VEGAS II NV store. However, we do have two options for you to get your order on time:

1. Change your order to have it shipped to your home
2. Choose a different store location for pickup

To get started, simply click here to learn how to change your shipping or pickup options.

If these two alternatives aren't convienient, you don't have to take any action. We will automatically cancel your order on or before April 4, 2020. You can reorder at BestBuy.com or visit a Best Buy Store near you.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause and value your continued loyalty to Best Buy.

Sincerely,

Your Best Buy Customer Care Team
Old 03-22-20, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 56 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker;[url=tel:13709772
13709772[/url]]Got this email yesterday

Order # xxxxx

Decker,

Due to recent events, your selected store has been temporarily closed with a reopening date that has not yet been determined. As a result, your order xxxxxxx will not be available for pickup at our BBY_122-LAS VEGAS II NV store. However, we do have two options for you to get your order on time:

1. Change your order to have it shipped to your home
2. Choose a different store location for pickup

To get started, simply click here to learn how to change your shipping or pickup options.

If these two alternatives aren't convienient, you don't have to take any action. We will automatically cancel your order on or before April 4, 2020. You can reorder at BestBuy.com or visit a Best Buy Store near you.

We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause and value your continued loyalty to Best Buy.

Sincerely,

Your Best Buy Customer Care Team
I got one this morning with the process from my store. You pull up and pop your trunk, then show your order confirmation through the driverís window. They put the items in your trunk and thatís that. If you get out of the car, they wonít come out. I have no idea how that would work for larger goods, but maybe those just arenít available for now.
Old 03-22-20, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

As expected, we crossed 100 deaths on Tuesday and we're up to 414 now with 100+ dead today alone. A few more days of lower numbers before it gets really rough to read them.

Not sure why I'm so focused on those, stay healthy out there!

Last edited by RichC2; 03-22-20 at 04:13 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 111 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished Dept.

I heard that my brother in Manhattan is broke since his work dried up because of the crisis. (He's the one who was homeless but found a place to stay, although he could lose that at any time.) I found this out after I'd last been in Manhattan (on Monday) when I could easily have met him and given him cash. So I figured out a way to help him. I asked one of my siblings who's in touch with him (I'm not--by choice) if he could receive a gift card from Whole Foods on his phone via text or email so he won't starve. She checked and he said yes to text. I ordered such a card designated for my brother via the Whole Foods website and then went about my business. Nine hours later I checked my email only to learn my credit card order had been rejected. Why? I called Whole Foods and then I had to call my credit card. They'd blocked what they thought was a suspicious transfer. I unblocked it and had to order the card again. The order went through but now it was TWO gift cards of $200 each being sent to him. Don't know how that happened, but I didn't want to cancel anything again, or the credit card company would find THAT suspicious. This morning I heard from another brother that the homeless brother is "not happy" about receiving anything on his phone. This after telling my sister the opposite. I don't care what he's happy or "not happy" about, did he get the friggin' card or not?! My sister is checking as of two hours ago. No word yet.

UPDATE: He successfully received the card(s) and will start using one tomorrow. Whether he actually uses it is not up to me. Whether there's any food left at Whole Foods in Manhattan is another matter.
You are a good and kind brother, in case nobody else has told you. I have four brothers of my own and your story made me tear up.
Old 03-22-20, 04:01 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
Verizon's store is closed while Best Buy is open. Essential? Non-Essential? The STATE guidelines under this order don't really fit. Is it essential to buy a new TV or computer? No. A new refrigerator if yours breaks? Absolutely.

How about auto body shops? A car doesn't have to look pretty to be drivable! (And I bring that one up because I've got a car being fixed, so that one I'm very familiar with..
You are debating what should be allowed or not allowed. I am not discussing that. The orders list what the State or County wants to let continue, and except for those, they want them to stop.
Old 03-22-20, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Found out my mother's cousin in Italy passed away from the virus yesterday. He was in his mid-70's. I've never met him.

My cousins in different parts of Italy have all said that it's pretty bad where they are.
2 of my aunts there were released from the hospital last week after operations (hip replacement and pace-maker implant) and luckily stayed clear of the virus from what they can tell. They're both separately isolating themselves from their family just in case.

Fun times.
Old 03-22-20, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 122 Likes on 94 Posts

I heard that my brother in Manhattan is broke since his work dried up because of the crisis. (He's the one who was homeless but found a place to stay, although he could lose that at any time.) I found this out after I'd last been in Manhattan (on Monday) when I could easily have met him and given him cash. So I figured out a way to help him. I asked one of my siblings who's in touch with him (I'm not--by choice) if he could receive a gift card from Whole Foods on his phone via text or email so he won't starve.
I hate to sound dickish, but $200 (or even $400) at Whole Foods won't go as far as it would at a Walmart or other chain grocery store like Kroger. From my experience, everything at Whole Foods costs at least twice as much as it does at Walmart.

Of course, I don't know what the shopping situation is like in Manhattan; Whole Foods might be the only place where you could get a gift card. I know they have those little bodegas everywhere which probably don't do gift cards; and I don't know what kind of presence Walmart or other chains have in Manhattan with the premium price on real estate.
Old 03-22-20, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

In terms of chains up there it's pretty much Whole Foods, Target and Trader Joe's. Whole Foods isnt too ridiculously expensive for the basics and they have a hot food bar in case his housing situation goes south. And Trader Joe's NYC is a nightmare even when there isnt a pandemic. There's only one Wegman's and it's in Brooklyn (and it just opened)

I think the nearest Walmart is in Jersey.

Last edited by RichC2; 03-22-20 at 04:49 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 192 Likes on 157 Posts

I went to Walmart and Target today to pick up a few things. Target is mostly cleaned out of food items. Still no TP, tissue and paper towels. I assume they don't get daily deliveries, so they have to suffer through mostly bare shelves.

Walmart amazingly had TP and bottled water. The TP was being handed out as 1 12 roll pack per person. And they had a small supply.
Old 03-22-20, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
You are debating what should be allowed or not allowed. I am not discussing that. The orders list what the State or County wants to let continue, and except for those, they want them to stop.
That's not remotely true. The State listed about 12 different categories, 6 to stay open, 6 to be closed. There are many other categories where they don't specify open or closed. Their specifics are woefully lacking.

Having said that, BEST BUY did an amazing thing. I've got to give them props. They're open, but you can't go in the store. It's pickup only, and they bring it out to your car! Returns are at the front door. Customers are not allowed in the store.

That's brilliant. They're not open to the public, but you can still get products or do returns. I love that.
Old 03-22-20, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Harvey Weinstein has tested positive, so COVID-19 has that going for it.
Old 03-22-20, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Have to hand it to you (thumbs up) that post is the definition of "hollow".
Received 356 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
Harvey Weinstein has tested positive, so COVID-19 has that going for it.
Could someone update his spokesperson?
Old 03-22-20, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Question... so since we were forced by shut down our business by the State due to an "act of God", do we have any sort of protection from not paying rent? Can our rent be legally suspended until this is over?
Like, even if we could go to work, both our clients and suppliers are shut down, so we couldn't even if we wanted to. So I don't see why there wouldn't be protection for this.
Old 03-22-20, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Question... so since we were forced by shut down our business by the State due to an "act of God", do we have any sort of protection from not paying rent? Can our rent be legally suspended until this is over?
Like, even if we could go to work, both our clients and suppliers are shut down, so we couldn't even if we wanted to. So I don't see why there wouldn't be protection for this.
Not speaking from any position of authority, but the only things I have heard of include suspension of collections action (e.g., no evictions, no utility shut offs). I have not heard of anything regarding action for the actual accrual of the debt (e.g., paying the bills).

People are going to mistakenly quit paying things and end up in bigger holes. Unfortunately it seems as if our government is only looking at short-term feel-good smoke and mirrors rather than long-term solutions.
Old 03-22-20, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Not speaking from any position of authority, but the only things I have heard of include suspension of collections action (e.g., no evictions, no utility shut offs). I have not heard of anything regarding action for the actual accrual of the debt (e.g., paying the bills).

People are going to mistakenly quit paying things and end up in bigger holes. Unfortunately it seems as if our government is only looking at short-term feel-good smoke and mirrors rather than long-term solutions.
Newsome at least said in a press conference that they wanted to implement payment plans for back rent but I wasn't sure what form that would take. They were also investigating suspension of commercial evictions as they were unsure they had the legal power over that.
Old 03-22-20, 06:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
There is nothing systematic, nor are any such endeavours being proposed in the legislation currently under negotiations. Some individual entities are potentially forgoing payments, but Congress will need to take legislative action.
Old 03-22-20, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

As we wait for more tests to come online, there is some anecdotal evidence for some people, a sudden loss in taste and/or smell is a sign of contracting the covid19 virus.
https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...yposmia-2020-3
Old 03-22-20, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
Newsome at least said in a press conference that they wanted to implement payment plans for back rent but I wasn't sure what form that would take. They were also investigating suspension of commercial evictions as they were unsure they had the legal power over that.

Here is the issue, and why I say this is VERY short-sited now ... Will the people losing wages right now EVER make those wages up? No. So allowing me to pay you on Tuesday for my cheeseburger today DOES NOT HELP. It only digs people into bigger holes which allows the gaps in society to widen when it is time to pay the piper.
Old 03-22-20, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Here is the issue, and why I say this is VERY short-sited now ... Will the people losing wages right now EVER make those wages up? No. So allowing me to pay you on Tuesday for my cheeseburger today DOES NOT HELP. It only digs people into bigger holes which allows the gaps in society to widen when it is time to pay the piper.
i fully understand that, but I think it's beyond the states power to tell creditors to stop collecting debt altogether. I'm not sure what can be done.

Im watching CNN and I find it funny Charmin is still paying for commercials.

Last edited by fujishig; 03-22-20 at 08:50 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

So, my cousin just recovered from COVID-19. He's front line as he is an RN for St. Joseph's here in Chicago and was treating a patient for flu-like symptoms who ended up being the first community diagnosed case of COVID in IL. The whole staff that was in contact with the patient got tested and unfortunately he was one of the unlucky ones. So he was quarantined in isolation in his basement for two weeks while his wife and three kids, the youngest being 5, were quarantined upstairs, not allowed to leave the house. The only symptoms he had was a runny nose and sore throat, and thankfully the rest of his family showed no symptoms. What angers me so much is that they wouldn't test his family because they "weren't a priority" and kits were so scarce. I'm so happy to say that they've all pulled through and are no longer in quarantine, but this kit shortage bullshit has hit home with me.

He's going back to work next week knowing there is a shortage of PPE, but I pray that he is now immune to the disease for now.
The following 5 users liked this post by rabbit77:
bruceames (03-22-20), Deftones (03-22-20), DJariya (03-22-20), Jaymole (03-23-20), story (03-22-20)
Old 03-22-20, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

UPDATE: He successfully received the card(s) and will start using one tomorrow. Whether he actually uses it is not up to me. Whether there's any food left at Whole Foods in Manhattan is another matter.
$200 / $400 won't go far at Whole Foods, though, it's like $50 or $100 at a "normal" grocery store. In Manhattan, even less.
Old 03-22-20, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 107 Likes on 74 Posts

I'm glad your cousin is ok (and now hopefully immune) but no family should have to deal with this bullshit, especially if a family member is a frontline worker.
The following users liked this post:
rabbit77 (03-22-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.