COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 05-29-20, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-salons-reopen

Restaurants for dining, barbershops and salons are now allowed to re-open today in Los Angeles county.

Old 05-29-20, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I know the government wanted to remove liability, but to my knowledge they haven't done anything legally. So my question is, are stores/gyms/churches/theme parks at risk of lawsuits if they open up and someone (an employee) gets the virus? I guess it would be hard to prove where you got it from, but for people like the barber that was infected, for instance..
It seems inevitable that most States will pass some sort of legislation. But its also important to know that places aren't strictly liable for this kind of stuff. You still need to prove negligence (for most cases). If a place takes precautions and you still get sick, it may not be at fault. You can't prevent everything. And as you mentioned, there's also the issue of proving your got coronavirus from any specific location, which is also difficult. Doesn't mean people won't try. But I think it'll be hard.

Employees, on the other hand, have much stronger protection via Worker's Comp laws in most places.
Old 05-29-20, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 136 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post
I don't see why there would be sued. Everyone knows about this risks and needs to take accountability for their own actions.
The scenario described sounds more like employers and inadequate safety measures. Unless by "take accountability for their own actions", you mean employees should either quit their jobs or grin-and-bear-it. But it does seem like it'd be basically impossible to prove unless, as mentioned, a bunch of your other coworkers were to contract it too around the same time.

I have no doubt there'll be lawsuits -- there are always lawsuits! -- but I'm skeptical many/any of them will go anywhere.
Old 05-29-20, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Jericho View Post
Bad news is that gyms seem like a place ripe for spreading this disease. And l'm not sure there is anything gyms can really do. A confined air space full of people breathing hard where you often stay extended periods of time? You can screen people, you can space them out, and you can clean. But what you really need is great air circulation. Maybe the good news is that many gym goers are in decent health already?
I think just abiding by the rules and cleaning up after yourself is what I think gives me piece of mind at the moment. Being at the gym and working towards better health is the best medicine to keep from transmitting the virus.
Old 05-29-20, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 484 Likes on 289 Posts

24 Hour Fitness still has a ways to go it seems....

Old 05-29-20, 02:47 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
24 Hour Fitness still has a ways to go it seems....
The latest new thing for Covid-19 disinfection is electrostatic spraying, which is a way to charge the spray droplets so they cover targets better (normally electrically grounded -- it's like car painting). It's not a new thing but it's being used more for Covid-19 since it's faster, more complete and disinfection demand is higher. Many airlines and gyms are using it.

I think best and safest time to use a gym is probably right after they open because I hope everything was newly disinfected from the previous day.

Old 05-29-20, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial;[url=tel:13749361
13749361[/url]]Being at the gym and working towards better health is the best medicine to keep from transmitting the virus.
Does working out also prevent transmission of other illnesses, or just this one?
The following users liked this post:
tanman (05-29-20)
Old 05-29-20, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Howiefan View Post
I don't see why there would be sued. Everyone knows about this risks and needs to take accountability for their own actions. But this is America...
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
The scenario described sounds more like employers and inadequate safety measures. Unless by "take accountability for their own actions", you mean employees should either quit their jobs or grin-and-bear-it. But it does seem like it'd be basically impossible to prove unless, as mentioned, a bunch of your other coworkers were to contract it too around the same time.
^That ... it isn't really customers businesses are worried about, it is their employees. As if not providing sick time or paid time off for employees who get sick from the virus wasn't crappy enough, you are also talking about releasing them from the liability of potential long-term health benefits, possible worker's comp claims, unemployment benefits, or even survivors' benefits in worst-case scenarios. The mere fact that businesses and the government are even having that conversation says a lot for the true state of things.

Again, if you provided all the recommended safeguards and did what you could to protect your employees, you wouldn't have to worry about it. But if you want to be a piece-of-shit and milk every last ounce of blood that you can turn into a nickel ...
Old 05-29-20, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
I think best and safest time to use a gym is probably right after they open because I hope everything was newly disinfected from the previous day.
Yep, that's my plan.

Better news, it looks like this week's death count will be about 5.5K, down significantly from last wk, which was around 8.5K.

Last edited by Artman; 05-29-20 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-29-20, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Abob Teff;[url=tel:13749442
13749442[/url]]^That ... it isn't really customers businesses are worried about, it is their employees. As if not providing sick time or paid time off for employees who get sick from the virus wasn't crappy enough, you are also talking about releasing them from the liability of potential long-term health benefits, possible worker's comp claims, unemployment benefits, or even survivors' benefits in worst-case scenarios. The mere fact that businesses and the government are even having that conversation says a lot for the true state of things.

Again, if you provided all the recommended safeguards and did what you could to protect your employees, you wouldn't have to worry about it. But if you want to be a piece-of-shit and milk every last ounce of blood that you can turn into a nickel ...
Yeah, this whole side of things is fairly depressing. I donít want to overstate my knowledge, but in my job, Iím exposed to what a lot of manufacturers are thinking and doing. While some are definitely committed to prioritizing their employeesí well-being, I would say the dominant approach in the industry seems to be Ďwhatís the minimum we are legally required to do to avoid liability.í If Congress removes all liability, a lot of companies are going to put their employees at unnecessary risk.
Old 05-29-20, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Despite our biggest counties in WA still being under lock-down, my townhome complex was nearly emptied out as if it were a regular work day. I could get used to that, it sure was nice and quiet! On the other hand, having just gotten back from a trip to the store... it was packed, men/women/teens with no masks.. The freeway was also packed as I drove over it... despite a lockdown still in place... it looked the closest to a normal day I've seen yet.
Old 05-29-20, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 61 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
They do say what charity--it's GlobalGiving Coronavirus Relief Fund . Would prefer these be made in the US, though.
They do but they don't say how much was donated. It could be a million dollars it could be five dollars. I'm pretty skeptical of all companies jumping on this "We're with you." marketing campaign. And no way these are going to be made in the US. Are there any toys at all that are? Anything requiring any kind of mass produces "art" sculpting/painting etc won't be made in the US. We don't make anything complex here anymore.
Old 05-29-20, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

My barbershop re-opened a couple weeks ago but I waited until today to make sure the crowds calmed down. I surprised my barber by paying for the $18 cut with $40. She was giving me change but I told her it was a "welcome back tip."
The following 6 users liked this post by TomOpus:
Adam Tyner (05-29-20), DJariya (05-30-20), Franchot (05-30-20), Psi (05-29-20), Sonny Corinthos (05-30-20), tanman (05-29-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-30-20, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 116 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
My barbershop re-opened a couple weeks ago but I waited until today to make sure the crowds calmed down. I surprised my barber by paying for the $18 cut with $40. She was giving me change but I told her it was a "welcome back tip."
I did the same thing with my hairstylist and the manicurist who does my nails. Both of them work out of their homes but they still need some income even if they're not paying rent to a business landlord.
Old 05-30-20, 10:36 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

https://elemental.medium.com/coronav...g-2c4032481ab2

interesting read
Old 05-30-20, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

Why go to the gym? Push ups, pull ups, jump rope, jog, maybe find some stairs. Done.
Old 05-30-20, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 176 Likes on 138 Posts

Today I sat down to watch my recorded-from-this-morning CNN ABCs of Coronavirus with my kids. It was preempted by the riots, but I didn't know that so my kids were a bit shocked when it started playing. Takes me back to my days as a kid when my Saturday morning cartoons were preempted by (important) news.
Old 05-30-20, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 81 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
^That ... it isn't really customers businesses are worried about, it is their employees. As if not providing sick time or paid time off for employees who get sick from the virus wasn't crappy enough, you are also talking about releasing them from the liability of potential long-term health benefits, possible worker's comp claims, unemployment benefits, or even survivors' benefits in worst-case scenarios. The mere fact that businesses and the government are even having that conversation says a lot for the true state of things.

Wish more people realized this unfortunate reality. When it comes down to brass tacks, as it does now, businessess don't care about their customers. The employees, being actually PAID by those businessess are only higher concern because they're a greater liability.

I'm through with all their double-talk about "We're with you in this," and instead I cringe at that false platitude. I know it really means "WE want to open up as quickly as possible, so throw caution to the wind and come on in. BUY, BUY, BUY, you contemptible, plebeian fools! We don't care about a few deaths!"
Old 05-30-20, 03:37 PM
Admin

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

Had to take my wife's car into the dealer for busted AC unit this morning. Got stuck in a long line of traffic. It was backed up for 2-3 miles and I couldn't figure out what it was. When we got to the front of the traffic we realized that it was tons of people waiting in line for food from Feeding America at Hillsborough Community College. There are still a lot of people hurting out there. The cars were in the thousands waiting on line.
Old 05-30-20, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know we have a separate thread for this, but my daughter and I were watching the downtown LA riots today. After about an hour she was like "wait a minute, isn't coronavirus still around?"

We will see very shortly what lack of social distancing by large swaths of people are going to do to some neighborhoods. Unfortunately these are going to be largely poor and minority populations who are most at risk...
The following users liked this post:
DJariya (05-30-20)
Old 05-31-20, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 95 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
I know we have a separate thread for this, but my daughter and I were watching the downtown LA riots today. After about an hour she was like "wait a minute, isn't coronavirus still around?"

We will see very shortly what lack of social distancing by large swaths of people are going to do to some neighborhoods. Unfortunately these are going to be largely poor and minority populations who are most at risk...
And when barely anyone gets the virus from all of this social lovin' all over the US...what then.

We're supposed to believe that staying indoors was key to stopping the spread? And all these graphs showing death and devastation...were accurate?

Yeah, that'll fly with people like a 900lb airborne pig sporting ray bans.

Kids, Coronavirus Class has just been DISMISSED for the foreseeable future. There is a trash can right over there to put your masks in. Thank-you.
Old 05-31-20, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

If there is a spike in two weeks, you won't know if it's the protests or early opening-ups.
Old 05-31-20, 10:21 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 76 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
If there is a spike in two weeks, you won't know if it's the protests or early opening-ups.
You may not know but there are other people who "know." In fact they "know" already.

The same people who say that a lock-down doesn't work but protests will increase transmission because too many are congregating.
Old 05-31-20, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
And when barely anyone gets the virus from all of this social lovin' all over the US...what then.

We're supposed to believe that staying indoors was key to stopping the spread? And all these graphs showing death and devastation...were accurate?

Yeah, that'll fly with people like a 900lb airborne pig sporting ray bans.

Kids, Coronavirus Class has just been DISMISSED for the foreseeable future. There is a trash can right over there to put your masks in. Thank-you.
Despite your attitude, I would like nothing more than for coronavirus class to be dismissed as you say. I don't really care who was right and who was wrong if lives are saved and we can go back to normal. Unfortunately I don't think that's the prevalent attitude.
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
tanman (05-31-20), Tom Banjo (05-31-20)
Old 05-31-20, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Iím just curious what bar is mentally set by the shamdemic folks. I mean, weíve got our 7-day average down to 1,000 deaths per day. Thereís a chance warmer weather will have enough impact to drop that a bit further, but realistically, with things opening back up, holding steady seems likely to be the best we can hope for. Thatís a shitload of people. If that many people were dying from just about anything else that didnít exist a year ago, people would be losing their minds. But I guess itís not enough to qualify as significant to some folks. I somehow doubt that anyone acting like a smug asshole about the virus now is somehow going to change their tune if the death rate doubles or triples, but I do wonder if there is a upper ceiling on their indifference.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.