COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 03-22-20, 02:05 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 581 Likes on 417 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
That's a great site. Another way to waste time during this WFH period

We have to be careful in how we interpret data. For example Germany is taking only 2 days to double their deaths while the US takes 3 days, so from that point of view Germany is worse. But Germany has about 80 deaths while the US has 350, and by most measures the US is currently in a worse situation.
True. Total population and population density also play a factor. All of this data can be used to paint an outline of the picture, but I expect we'll start filling in the gaps when more and more info is available.

Also, do you know how to get historical data? I am not interested in comparing the US today to China today but the US today to China a month ago, or Italy 2 weeks ago in order to account for differences in outbreak timing. I think that gives a better perspective of the problem than taking a single snapshot based on this week only.
This graph is kind of what you're after. It's the cumulative total in each country. Day 0 on the graph is when each country confirmed 100 cases (not deaths).
15 days in, cumulative only, US was only behind China.

Old 03-22-20, 03:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
True. Total population and population density also play a factor. All of this data can be used to paint an outline of the picture, but I expect we'll start filling in the gaps when more and more info is available.

This graph is kind of what you're after. It's the cumulative total in each country. Day 0 on the graph is when each country confirmed 100 cases (not deaths).
What would really help that graph would be to use cases PER CAPITA as a percentage of the population. Of course we are going to pass Italy and less populated countries like that, we've got more people, but, per capita, how many cases are there? The total number infected is useful information, for sure, but the percentage of the population infected would be even more useful.
Old 03-22-20, 03:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
I really just wanted a Coronavirus thread where we could talk about how it’s affecting our lives and our family and friends without the politics involved. Then this went all to hell. Guess we can’t have nice things.
I'm working from home (as soon as I can get all the work programs to load up on the work computer). My wife is off work (library - closed). My daughter was supposed to have online classes for college, but they cancelled the meeting for the teachers to go over the technical side of how to do that, so the end of her semester is in question.

A lot of the non-essential businesses are closed around here, but some that are kind of semi-essential are still open. Traffic is almost the same as usual (except on the freeways, where it is smooth sailing in areas where there is usually heavy, slow traffic). The total number of cars on the freeway is a little surprising, but the local traffic is VERY surprising.
Old 03-22-20, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts

Several states now have drive-through Coronavirus testing sites in operation.

https://www.tomsguide.com/news/drive...-in-your-state

Currently, the closest one to me is still quite a distance away.

https://www.ocregister.com/2020/03/2...amond-stadium/

In coordination with the county, Riverside University Health System Public Health and Lake Elsinore, the drive-up testing began on Saturday at Diamond Stadium and will run through at least Sunday, from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Testing will only be available to those who have symptoms and then they must call 1-800-945-6171 to schedule an appointment before showing up.
As more of these locations become available, I can see some people having a different dilemma after getting tested. (Currently, it appears you need to have symptoms or have your doctor approve the test for you.)

1) You get tested and the test comes back as positive for the virus. You self-quarantine for 14 days (or longer) and seek medical care if your condition worsens.

2) You get tested and the test comes back as negative for the virus. Would you still self-quarantine yourself, knowing that you are clear of the virus? Going back into the public for shopping would put you at risk of picking up the virus from someone else carrying or spreading the virus.
Old 03-22-20, 08:31 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Received 117 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Thanks. That's the graph I was looking for, but not the graph I "wanted:" It confirms what some simulation analyses have been saying for a few weeks:
1. We were where Wuhan was when they implemented their lock-down while we were still doing little.

2 With every day of inaction the problem grows a lot (graph is on a lot scale). Just as China started bending the curve in a good way, we even turned slightly up, I hope because we measured more and not because the problem got even worse.

Old 03-22-20, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Thanks. That's the graph I was looking for, but not the graph I "wanted:" It confirms what some simulation analyses have been saying for a few weeks:
1. We were where Wuhan was when they implemented their lock-down while we were still doing little.

2 With every day of inaction the problem grows a lot (graph is on a lot scale). Just as China started bending the curve in a good way, we even turned slightly up, I hope because we measured more and not because the problem got even worse.
Go to the worldmeters/coronavirus site, then click on the country you're interested in. Then scroll down to the graphs where they will show the daily and cumulative totals for each day going back to when the cases started there. Just mouse over the curve to see what the daily numbers are.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/#countries
Old 03-22-20, 08:45 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by B5Erik View Post
A lot of the non-essential businesses are closed around here, but some that are kind of semi-essential are still open. Traffic is almost the same as usual (except on the freeways, where it is smooth sailing in areas where there is usually heavy, slow traffic). The total number of cars on the freeway is a little surprising, but the local traffic is VERY surprising.
Not sure what you meant by semi-essential. People don't get to decide for themselves what is essential or not. The county or state spells out what is allowed and what is not. There is no semi.

Whether they comply is a different matter. I hope it's only because people needed a bit of time to prepare for the shut down. They needed to retrieve some stuff from the office or needed time to idle equipment. etc. I hope we do this right and get it over with, instead of doing a lousy job and get little and drag this out for months..
Old 03-22-20, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 851 Likes on 672 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
So prior to the outbreak and insanity, I booked a 4 day, 3 night trip to Hawaii in late May.

So obviously when things transpired for the worse and we're now having the stay at home quarantine here in So. Cal, I cancelled the trip.

I managed to cancel the 2 flights just fine. I can use the tickets for a future trip.

I cancelled a free 1 night hotel stay that I used miles for with no issues.

Now here's where I run into trouble. I was going to change hotels after that free 1 night stay and stay at a different hotel. I paid for 2 nights. One out of pocket and One with a gift card a friend gave me with Hotels.com. The reservation was non-refundable. So I was worried that I might have to eat that cost when cancelling. I have not cancelled yet.

Now today, the Governor of Hawaii gave a directive that all travelers to Hawaii must be put into a 14 day quarantine in your hotels. Otherwise you will be fined and jailed

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...rus-in-hawaii/

He didn't give an "End Date" Now that's enough to already cancel this hotel reservation.

Hotels.com says to not contact them until your trip is closer because they are getting slammed with calls. They say they will alert the traveler with an e-mail and potential cancel and refund options when it gets closer.

I decided to e-mail the hotel and ask what my options are. Basically told them I couldn't stay there anyways due to the Governor's order. I'm hoping for a refund or at worst an option to push my stay for a future date. I hope they don't refuse.

Any thoughts? Should I just wait until Hotels.com sends that e-mail? I cannot get through to them via chat or phone. It's still over 50+ days away, so I'm not nervous yet.
First off, how did you cancel the flight? Did you have insurance, or were they pretty accomodating?

It'll be interesting to see what Hotels.com does for you. I'm sure cancellations after Thursday (when the 14 day quarantine goes into affect) are going to be numerous (which is by design.) However, if for some reason you did have to go, you'd still need a hotel room because that's where you're supposed to be quarantined. They should let you off the hook, though.
Old 03-22-20, 08:57 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Franchot View Post
2) You get tested and the test comes back as negative for the virus. Would you still self-quarantine yourself, knowing that you are clear of the virus? Going back into the public for shopping would put you at risk of picking up the virus from someone else carrying or spreading the virus.
If they follow the protocol strictly, if someone tests positive, they need to self-quarantine (unless ill enough for hospital care), and they need two negative tests on two days to be considered recovered and ready to go back to the public.

But if their first and only test is negative, there is no need to quarantine or do anything unusual. Sure there is always the risk of infection and spread, but that is no different than for anyone else. Use the usual precautions and follow any lock-down order, but nothing more.
Old 03-22-20, 10:51 AM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Gotta love pieces of trash like this. This piece of human garbage bought out all the paper towels, toilet paper and napkins from a Dollar Tree Store today.

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/...915048961?s=20
Possible this video just might be "staged". Dollar Tree has a corporate policy limit.

Old 03-22-20, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,256 Likes on 929 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
First off, how did you cancel the flight? Did you have insurance, or were they pretty accomodating?

It'll be interesting to see what Hotels.com does for you. I'm sure cancellations after Thursday (when the 14 day quarantine goes into affect) are going to be numerous (which is by design.) However, if for some reason you did have to go, you'd still need a hotel room because that's where you're supposed to be quarantined. They should let you off the hook, though.
American Airlines is allowing people to cancel and use the ticket value for a future trip even if the ticket is non refundable, which this one was. I booked my ticket in 2 portions. Flight from LA was “free” with miles. I only paid $5 in taxes for that ticket. Flight from Honolulu I paid out of pocket. The ticket was only $129.
Old 03-22-20, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 99 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
I really just wanted a Coronavirus thread where we could talk about how it’s affecting our lives and our family and friends without the politics involved. Then this went all to hell. Guess we can’t have nice things.
Game Dev, been working from home since the 6th. Ended up taking our work machines home so it's pretty much just like being at the office (I even took my mouse since I'm so used to it) Currently live near where I grew up so thankfully, friends and family are all pretty close by. My folks are in their mid 60's, retired, I checked in on them last wk. I'm single so about the only interactions I've had are a handful of trips to the store. I'll probably swing by the Starbucks drive thru this morning - funny how this makes you think of the small things like that more than you used to.

Took my folks out to Lambeau for a game a couple yrs back, had a wonderful time in Wisconsin, we definitely felt the 'mid-western nice' all around.
Old 03-22-20, 11:23 AM

Received 1,766 Likes on 1,218 Posts

Gotta love pieces of trash like this. This piece of human garbage bought out all the paper towels, toilet paper and napkins from a Dollar Tree Store today.

https://twitter.com/briantylercohen/...915048961?s=20
That is trash, but the woman recording isn’t much better IMO. She sounds smug as fuck and would revel ruining someone’s life with mob mentality and wanting it going viral. I’m sick of that.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (03-22-20)
Old 03-22-20, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 341 Likes on 199 Posts

A friend posted this on Facebook. It's the experience of someone who had COVID.

Update on my friend who was admitted to the hospital a few days back. She tested positive for COVID and was just released.

Please read this entire post and feel free to share.

She has asked that I not share her identity.

This. Is. Serious.

——

I am writing this now while it’s fresh because I feel like there may be important info to share. I have been in the hospital for the past few days being treated for COVID-19. I’ve been reluctant to “go public” about what has been going on with me until I kind of knew what I was dealing with, but I feel like it’s important for people to hear the story from “the inside,” so here goes a long post.

In this post, I am relaying medical info that was provided to me for your education so that you can be aware of issues, but don’t do anything or take what I say as medical advice - talk to your Doctor.

Symptoms:

- started with extreme full body ache. I have autoimmune arthritis so I experience full body pain daily, but nothing like this.
-Horrific finger pain.
- Sore throat
- exhaustion - I was too tired to lay in bed and lift up my phone.
- vomiting/nausea
- fever - generally around 100.5, sometimes got up to almost 102

The doctors said my presentation was very typical. It started with flu like symptoms and it wasn’t until later that the respiratory distress kicked in. When it did kick in it came quickly. I took a bath to try to relieve the pain, and when I got out I literally couldn’t breath. Walking 5 feet sent me into a fit of weird shallow coughing.

Escalation:

I first tried to home medicate with 3 nebulizers, and my wonderful doc from National Jewish told me to start taking prednisone (this was a tricky decision, as I will talk more about later). Within an hour it became clear that I needed to go to the hospital and National Jewish called St Joe’s in Denver to let them know I was coming. Please note: I discuss this further down but in case you stop reading, if you suspect you have COVID DO NOT USE A NEBULIZER.

Hospital:

Entry to Triage

When I got to the hospital, the entrance to the ER was cordoned off and three nurses in biological gear were standing there ready to take temps. I had a temp. They also asked me a) had I been out of the country in the past 3 weeks (yes); and b) had I been in contact with anyone who was positive (no idea). I passed go and went into the ER for admissions. My breathing was so bad I couldn’t answer their questions, and by the time they had me in triage I was in severe distress (their words). My pulse rate was 156, and I was sweating so badly they couldn’t get the IV tape to stick.

The ER

My memory of the ER is a bit foggy. I was put in a negative pressure room that had a piece of paper with a big black “C” for COVID on my ER door. Everyone who came in and out had to be in full biological gear. There is a lot of rigamarole for them to come in and out, and it takes time to do that, which I’ll address more later.

They asked a ton of questions I couldn’t answer (because I couldn’t speak) but I swear to you each of those people were angels. They gave me the COVID test and ran it for a full respiratory panel. All other respiratory viruses besides COVID came back negative. There was a nurse named Steph who I just want to hug (although I’m certain she doesn’t want to hug me). If anyone knows her let me know.

At one point they gave me a med that sent me into anaphylaxis. We think it was one of the antibiotics they gave me. Not their fault - I have never had a med do that. One of the nurses said that my body just may be in full meltdown. When I went into anaphylaxis, it took them a while to get back in my room, due to the rigamarole. That was scary. They stayed on the phone with me as they were getting dressed to let me know they were on their way, which was huge.

They told me a couple of important things in the ER:

1. They cannot give COVID patients who have asthma nebulizers in the hospital, and you should absolutely not use nebulizers at home if you live with other people if you have COVID symptoms. That is because the air you breathe out as you’re using the nebulizer forms with the nebulizer solution (they say it creates a type of aerosol) and the combined COVID-laden molecules hang in the air far longer than regular “air germs” - like days longer. It effectively becomes a biological weapon.

2. Because my asthma was in distress, and as a result of the above, they ordered an albuterol inhaler for me to use. But guess what? The hospital was out of inhalers. Yes, they had a small stockpile for truly emergent cases like mine, and I eventually got one, but for a while we were digging around in my backpack to see if I brought one with me (I had not - I had only brought Symbicort, which I was not allowed to use because it has a steroid, discussed below). (Friends, if you have asthma, please make sure your albuterol inhaler scripts are filled, and get spacers if you don’t have them to make sure you’re getting full utilization of the medicine.)

3. Steroids and COVID are a bad combination. Steroids make COVID worse, but of course they make asthma better. That is why it was a tough call for National Jewish to put me on Prednisone. The doctors at St Joe’s decided to discontinue my Prednisone, but then the whole anaphylaxis thing happened and I was given a pile of drugs, including solumedrol, which is the Queen of steroids, to counteract it. So there was that. Not ideal.

Admission

4. It took a few hours for my hospital room to be ready. I was placed in the intermediate ward which they’ve set up as one of the two COVID areas. The other is the Orthopedic Ward, which they’ve also set up for COVID since there are no more surgeries. The Intermediate Ward is where they’re putting the sicker of the COVID patients at St Joe’s. I was put in a huge quarantined room with my own bathroom and an office window where people could sit and observe me without going in. No sliding glass doors for me - a real door. With a fully adjustable bed that had air pockets that move every once in a while to prevent bed sores, and a nice TV. And a couch and lazy boy chair. This is where my experience will differ vastly from others in a few months time.

5. Once admitted they put me on oxygen (I never needed a ventilator) and I fell right to sleep thanks to some other meds they kindly gave me. The doctors the next day confirmed I had no striations or pneumonia, and told me that although he knew I felt terrible, I had a relatively mild case of COVID. I asked if that meant that I would be immune to COVID. He said yes, until it mutates. Not totally reassuring.

6. Even without the pneumonia, I will tell you that a ‘mild” case of COVID is terrible. And this is coming from a chick who gets sick a lot and has a high tolerance for discomfort. Moving - sitting up, typing on the phone, even holding the phone up, is hard. Walking 5 feet to the bathroom is exhausting, hard, and painful, and sends me into coughing fits and makes my lungs feel pressurized. It is slightly different from asthma. The shallow breathing occurs especially when I try to move, and happens because any deeper breaths result in coughing fits. I took a shower and could barely get back to my bed afterwards. Oxygen helps a lot, and without it I am uncomfortable even not moving. The reason for this lung pain is that COVID causes massive inflammation.

7. The first day of hospitalization they had to have me do a medical power of attorney. The nurse served as the witness on the other side of the window, and signed it on my behalf because they couldn’t bring the document into the room for me to sign (the document wouldn’t be able to leave the room because it would have been infected). Does this scream for a handy online app that quarantined patients can use that syncs with online notaries, witnesses, and permits e-signature? Yes it does. Hello legal innovation.

Learnings

I have a couple of learnings that may be helpful to share, so here it goes.

1. As stated above, be aware of the nebulizer issue if you have asthma and have COVID symptoms.

2. If you have asthma, and you have COVID, steroids are out as well.

3. The above two points mean that the only thing you can use is an albuterol inhaler. They won’t even let me use my Symbicort because it has steroids. For a die hard asthmatic like me, that reality - no steroids and no nebulizer - is terrifying.

4. To beat a dead horse on the three points above, if you have symptoms, ask your doc what inhalers you can and cannot use, (and make sure they are aware of the problem with steroids and COVID!!).

5. Testing at this point is useless. They have a 70% failure rate and the results do not matter. Beyond the failure rate, nothing is clear. In the past week, the CDC has refined how the tests are supposed to be taken, so if you even got one a week ago it may not be relevant. If you are sick enough to be in the hospital, you’ll know it, and based on your symptoms, the docs will know you have COVID. And if you aren’t sick enough to be in the hospital, there’s literally no point for you to get tested. Why is this? Because you should be staying in your house and not out and about cross-contaminating with other people, and under those circumstances it shouldn’t matter if you have COVID. It simply doesn’t matter until you get sick enough to be in the hospital because there is no vaccine. Assume you’ve been exposed.

6. If you do have to go to the ER, follow ER guidance for that, but bring your albuterol inhaler with you if you’re asthmatic.

7. The nurses, doctors, everyone here are dealing with a fast changing environment. They are getting new directives every day, and as wonderful and calm as they are, you can feel their stress. Give them grace and protect them (discussed in more detail below).

8. If you end up on the ER or are admitted:

- whomever takes you to the hospital won’t be able to stay. They won’t be able to stay in the waiting room and they certainly can’t come back with you.

- be cognizant of how much time it takes for your nurses and docs to dress up and down just to come in your room, and that increasingly will be precious time. That means learn how to unhook yourself from your various cords and to carry your IV with you so you can go to the bathroom without calling an attendant. The nurses will teach you and will be grateful. It means asking for all of the things that you need at once while they’re in there, even learning how to turn your oxygen up and down (which I did). Anything you can do to minimize those dress-ups and dress-downs is time they can spend with other patients, and at the very least, means less exposure for them.

- notwithstanding the above, get your needs met. They may start to miss your meds (mine did when they got busy with some other patients) and as wonderful as they are, they’re learning all sorts of new protocols in a high stress environment. And they’re rightfully scared. You’re the only one there to advocate for you since you’re in quarantine, so do it.

- always put your mask on when they start to enter the room. If you have to cough, cough away from them even if you have a mask on. And when you’re alone in the room, still cough in your elbow - it prevents the air molecules from floating around in the room and mitigates exposure to our beloved health care workers.

- hang in there. It is depressing to be in full isolation, and it’s scary when the reality of things like the scarcity of masks and meds is right in front of you.

9. Finally, every nurse and doctor I talked to is very convinced that we haven’t by a long shot come to the worst of this situation, and that in a month or two our hospitals will look like Italy. My hospital stay will look like that ocean front suite in Maui that I am supposed to be in right now. That isn’t a scare tactic, it is the reality of what our health care workers are saying and feeling. You can tell they understand the gravity of being the front line. Please please please take this seriously and stay put for now.
Old 03-22-20, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 396 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Fuck, that's scary. I have asthma so the idea of getting sick and going through all that is terrifying to me.
Old 03-22-20, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 471 Likes on 344 Posts

Oh yeah, and I have spent the last three days trying to convince my mother that she does not have COVID-19. She came down with the flu a few nights ago (all gastro-intestinal issues) and has been claiming she needed to be tested. She is older, a home healthcare RN, and does have lots of underlying health concerns that would put her in a risky place. This morning she is finally feeling better and has said "I guess that wasn't it."
Old 03-22-20, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post

Re: Hawaii's hotel quarantine -- How is that going to work? Who is paying for the 14 days? (It may be worth it for me to fly to Hawaii ...)

Not sure if you quite get it. But, if you have an upcoming say 7 day trip to Hawaii planned, your trip is screwed. You will be stuck in your hotel all 7 days and then have to leave. So there's no point in going.

If you had say a 1 month trip planned (unlikely for most), then at least you have 16 days left.

No one in the State is paying for it. The Governor in Hawaii is doing this to highly discourage travel there right now so their COVID-19 numbers don't go up.
Old 03-22-20, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
Pretty much what your friend said is what's going on (I'm sure it was a hellish experience and glad she is doing ok). I just don't agree with #9 but that's probably due to what they are seeing in their localized area. Our healthcare workers have a different perspective on it (we deal with flu with the elderly all the time and this isn't too much different). We're focusing on isolation and how many are actually dying.

The US as a whole, is not going to become Italy. Maybe parts of NY and large cities in LA, but other than that, I really don't think our populations are identical.

Isolation is the most important factor and if the US cannot do this, then we're in trouble.

Side note. Don't worry about special soap for washing hands--had a few friends continue to text on not getting that "anti-B" soap, etc. ANY soap will work. Do it frequently, even when walking around the house in isolation. If you have a dishwasher...run hot water cycles with your dishes and utensils in it (don't use soap to save it for possibly using it on your hands later).

Also, take frequent showers. Wash clothes in warm/hot water cycles (again avoiding using soap until you have a larger load as you don't want to run out). If you are in isolation, wear limited sets of clothes. Don't wear a lot. Just use the same clothes and wash them over and over. Using more clothes just means more possibilities of having the virus being where it shouldn't. Keep unused clothes away from the open air and from cross-contamination of the clothes you normally wear. If in doubt, wash them with soap, and put them away to wear at a later date.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 03-22-20 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 471 Likes on 344 Posts

Not sure if you quite get it. But, if you have an upcoming say 7 day trip to Hawaii planned, your trip is screwed. You will be stuck in your hotel all 7 days and then have to leave. So there's no point in going.

If you had say a 1 month trip planned (unlikely for most), then at least you have 16 days left.

No one in the State is paying for it. The Governor in Hawaii is doing this to highly discourage travel there right now so their COVID-19 numbers don't go up.
No, I don't fully get it, but it was serious question with a twist of wry humor. I don't really plan on going, but I am curous about the logistics. Literally, if I had a seven day trip booked I wouldn't be able to leave, who is on the hook for the remainder?

And yes ... I do think banning air travel (or severely limiting it) is prudent. No, airlines don't need a bailout. They can rough this out like the rest of us. Sorry if that is treading into politics.
Old 03-22-20, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

From what I've seen, all airlines should have been grounded at least a week ago. This isn't going to help the community spread problem. The airlines are the biggest bunch of apathetic pieces of shit I've ever seen. Right now, they're holding their employees as hostages, telling the US government if they don't get a bailout, they'll fire a large portion of their workforce (not layoffs...I mean being told to take a hike).
Old 03-22-20, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
No, I don't fully get it, but it was serious question with a twist of wry humor. I don't really plan on going, but I am curous about the logistics. Literally, if I had a seven day trip booked I wouldn't be able to leave, who is on the hook for the remainder?

And yes ... I do think banning air travel (or severely limiting it) is prudent. No, airlines don't need a bailout. They can rough this out like the rest of us. Sorry if that is treading into politics.
It's a 14 day quarantine, but I don't think it means your stuck on the island 14 days even though your trip is for 7. It means your stuck in your hotel and then when your 7 day trip is over, it's straight to the airport.

That's why I don't think anyone in their right mind would even consider a trip to Hawaii right now. This directive is effective as of today. So if you planned a 7 day trip months ago and it's starting tomorrow, you need to cancel ASAP.

I'm sure the airlines would contact people about this and say it's best to cancel Hawaii right now due to this new directive.

If you're a permanent resident of Hawaii and are coming home from a trip to the mainland, you'll be stuck in your home for 14 days. This doesn't just apply to tourists.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-22-20 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished Dept.

I heard that my brother in Manhattan is broke since his work dried up because of the crisis. (He's the one who was homeless but found a place to stay, although he could lose that at any time.) I found this out after I'd last been in Manhattan (on Monday) when I could easily have met him and given him cash. So I figured out a way to help him. I asked one of my siblings who's in touch with him (I'm not--by choice) if he could receive a gift card from Whole Foods on his phone via text or email so he won't starve. She checked and he said yes to text. I ordered such a card designated for my brother via the Whole Foods website and then went about my business. Nine hours later I checked my email only to learn my credit card order had been rejected. Why? I called Whole Foods and then I had to call my credit card. They'd blocked what they thought was a suspicious transfer. I unblocked it and had to order the card again. The order went through but now it was TWO gift cards of $200 each being sent to him. Don't know how that happened, but I didn't want to cancel anything again, or the credit card company would find THAT suspicious. This morning I heard from another brother that the homeless brother is "not happy" about receiving anything on his phone. This after telling my sister the opposite. I don't care what he's happy or "not happy" about, did he get the friggin' card or not?! My sister is checking as of two hours ago. No word yet.

UPDATE: He successfully received the card(s) and will start using one tomorrow. Whether he actually uses it is not up to me. Whether there's any food left at Whole Foods in Manhattan is another matter.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 03-22-20 at 04:20 PM.
Old 03-22-20, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure what you meant by semi-essential. People don't get to decide for themselves what is essential or not. The county or state spells out what is allowed and what is not. There is no semi.
That's not entirely true.

Verizon's store is closed while Best Buy is open. Essential? Non-Essential? The STATE guidelines under this order don't really fit. Is it essential to buy a new TV or computer? No. A new refrigerator if yours breaks? Absolutely.

How about auto body shops? A car doesn't have to look pretty to be drivable! (And I bring that one up because I've got a car being fixed, so that one I'm very familiar with.)

The state guidelines are limited and leave a bunch of stuff in the middle. Local guidelines in some cases are far more specific.
Old 03-22-20, 03:21 PM

Received 143 Likes on 99 Posts

Ohio is shutting down.
Old 03-22-20, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 478 Likes on 341 Posts

I work at a sign shop so I'm finding this "essential" thing curious myself. We've been busier than ever the last few days with restaurants, Realtors and more ordering all kinds of Covid related signage. Is that essential? Maybe, maybe not. I have no idea.

My boss is taking proactive measures to keep us going as long as possible by switching to a 4 day week. This allows him to build an extra cash cushion during all this. I thought that was a solid plan. He also said he would cut hours before employees to put everyone at ease about losing jobs.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.