COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 05-19-20, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Why do you say half are you somehow offended by this sign?
It's basically calling mask wearers "fraidy cats" and it practically screams MAGA. I wouldn't shop there (well it's KIA so I wouldn't anyway).
The following users liked this post:
Mabuse (05-19-20)
Old 05-19-20, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,055 Likes on 1,322 Posts

Why do you say half are you somehow offended by this sign?
I am offended. Practicing social distancing isn't a sign of cowardice, it's following the advice of medical experts to help stem the spread of a deadly disease that has killed tens of thousands already. That sign is ignorance and arrogance manifested.
The following 6 users liked this post by Decker:
Adam Tyner (05-19-20), Draven (05-19-20), Jaymole (05-20-20), Mabuse (05-19-20), Rocketsfan (05-21-20), Trevor (05-19-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-19-20, 12:54 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
It's basically calling mask wearers "fraidy cats" and it practically screams MAGA. I wouldn't shop there (well it's KIA so I wouldn't anyway).
I do not see anything about masks on this sign.
Old 05-19-20, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You don't see anything wrong with this sign, because it was made for people like you. Congrats. Buy KIA!
The following 2 users liked this post by joeblow69:
Adam Tyner (05-19-20), Rocketsfan (05-21-20)
Old 05-19-20, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 111 Likes on 54 Posts

Found in a Kia dealership in El Cajon
That sign is nothing more or less than advertising, ‘hey, we’re assholes! If you’re the same kind of asshole, we’re where you should buy a car!’
The following 3 users liked this post by maxfisher:
Adam Tyner (05-19-20), Rocketsfan (05-21-20), Trevor (05-19-20)
Old 05-19-20, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 175 Likes on 98 Posts

True patriots drive KIAs. What a dumb business decision.
Old 05-19-20, 01:20 PM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!

You don't see anything wrong with thishe sign, because it was made for people like you. Congrats. Buy KIA!
Ironically I already own own one, it has been a pretty good car.

Seems that you have wandered out of the political forum area, I might suggest you try posting it there - you may find a much better audience (regardless here is some claps)
Old 05-19-20, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 356 Likes on 262 Posts

I don't see anything about douchebags but it sure screams it.
The following 4 users liked this post by TomOpus:
Adam Tyner (05-19-20), Draven (05-19-20), Mabuse (05-19-20), Trevor (05-19-20)
Old 05-19-20, 01:28 PM

Would you agree that sign very clearly equates appropriate recommended social distancing behavior with fear?
Adam Tyner (05-19-20)
Old 05-19-20, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ironically I already own own one, it has been a pretty good car.

Seems that you have wandered out of the political forum area, I might suggest you try posting it there - you may find a much better audience (regardless here is some claps)
The sign isn't explicitly political ... It's more about the sheer douchebaggery of it. I can't help if it said douchebaggery falls on political lines

The real question is, why go out of your way and load up a sign with that? Isn't there a way to express the same thing, but without coming off as a giant ass?
Adam Tyner (05-19-20)
Old 05-19-20, 01:36 PM
Suspended

The sign isn't explicitly political ... It's more about the sheer douchebaggery of it. I can't help if it said douchebaggery falls on political lines

The real question is, why go out of your way and load up a sign with that? Isn't there a way to express the same thing, but without coming off as a giant ass?
Your posts in this case certainly have been, I will no longer be indulging them and others like them
Old 05-19-20, 01:49 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Would you agree that sign very clearly equates appropriate recommended social distancing behavior with fear?
No, not really and if you are visiting an automobile dealership in order to purchase a car there are many risks associated with what will come with that transaction, if not do not go in the establishment.
Old 05-19-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I'm sure you do trust them, but In this case, even Jeff would know better than to use the wrong footage of a hospital in Europe for one in the US. And Jeff isn't even a news guy.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/cb...lian-hospital/

But hey, they apologized, right? Makes it all better and cuddly? I'm sure there was no intent to convey an out of control pandemic and that hospitals were in dire circumstances...nahhhh, that wouldn't be it. It was just an honest mistake.

Because you know, all hospitals look alike...right?
All that shows from you is ignorance as how video production works. It could be as simple as an intern pushing the wrong button. They apologized. If you want to turn it into some kind of conspiracy, feel free. But that is not what happened.

My guess is that they have hospital file footage saved in a digital archive. When they need b-roll of a hospital, they do a search and pull in what works. That clip could have easily been mislabeled and the person in charge of pulling hospital footage for the story (who is likely pretty low on the totem pole) pulled the wrong stuff. I produce a talk show and we've been doing it for 12 years and we still make mistakes. It happens, especially since you are putting together a ton of content every single day.

You are predisposed to think the worst of the media. But a mislabeled clip is far more likely than a vast conspiracy to dupe the public.

Last edited by Draven; 05-19-20 at 02:44 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Draven:
Adam Tyner (05-19-20), VinVega (05-19-20)
Old 05-19-20, 02:36 PM
Admin

Received 298 Likes on 192 Posts

My hospital just installed an infared camera that can check multiple people's temperature instantly and alerts the system when it spots a fever. It must be what they use at airport international terminals. It's pretty spiffy tech. Glad I don't have to get them to check my temperature with a temporal thermometer any more.
Yeah, but it's still 110 deg outside, so if you walk across the parking lot again, you'll be hot and might have to rest for a bit before going in.
Old 05-19-20, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Yeah, but it's still 110 deg outside, so if you walk across the parking lot again, you'll be hot and might have to rest for a bit before going in.
Yeah not yet. But that did happen with a hand held IR thermometer a couple of weeks ago. If I have to hang out for a couple of minutes in the hallway during the Summer, so be it.
Old 05-19-20, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 354 Likes on 259 Posts

Yeah, why the fuck did wearing a mask or not become a political thing? It never amazes me how many Americans make everything a political statement these days, so fucking divided about every stupid thing. It's tiring.

Oh, and that store has the right to post any sign they want, but any place that posts passive aggressive douchebagesque signs like that will never get my business. Why cut yourself off at the knees just to alienate half your potential customer base in order to appease the asshole ones. Sounds like a completely idiotic business decision. Many business will not survive this pandemic as it is, so why make it harder for yourself? Idiots are willing to sacrifice much needed customers right now just to make a stupid point.
The following 6 users liked this post by cultshock:
Adam Tyner (05-19-20), funkyryno (05-19-20), Jaymole (05-20-20), Rocketsfan (05-21-20), tanman (05-26-20), tasha99 (05-19-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-19-20, 02:54 PM

No, not really and if you are visiting an automobile dealership in order to purchase a car there are many risks associated with what will come with that transaction, if not do not go in the establishment.
I am trying to be as respectful as possible and give you every benefit of the doubt. So I feel the need to tell you, as a front line healthcare worker who comes in contact with 40-50 new people every single work day and does his best to use social distancing to limit the risk of contracting this deadly illness and spreading it to others, that saying "No, not really" isn't good enough.

Please explain to me how you see a sign that says "If you are afraid to get closer than 6 feet to another person, DO NOT ENTER THIS BUSINESS" and not come away with the impression that whoever put it up equates practicing social distancing with cowardice. And, in the context of the whole sign, also a lack of patriotism.

And it's not like it's impossible to operate a car dealership and still practice social distancing

Last edited by Decker; 05-19-20 at 03:00 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Decker:
Adam Tyner (05-19-20), funkyryno (05-19-20)
Old 05-19-20, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 618 Likes on 411 Posts

Please explain to me how you see a sign that says "If you are afraid to get closer than 6 feet to another person, don't come in here" and do not come away with the impression that whoever put it up equates practicing social distancing with cowardice.
...and leading by saying that your social distancing impinges upon their freedom. Their freedom to...what, exactly?
Old 05-19-20, 03:09 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Not only that. They really have no right to bitch. Car dealerships were deemed essential and allowed to stay open even though it’s bullshit.
Old 05-19-20, 03:17 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
...and leading by saying that your social distancing impinges upon their freedom. Their freedom to...what, exactly?
Freedom to be assholes.
Old 05-19-20, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 448 Likes on 320 Posts

The Kia sign is ironic to me. It says "Your freedom doesn't end where your fear begins."

If that's all it said my interpretation would be "your freedom doesn't end because you're afraid to wear a mask."
Old 05-19-20, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Please be advised that this establishment has decided not to follow the State of California's social distancing guidelines".

That's how you would do a sign like that without being an asshole.
Old 05-19-20, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 618 Likes on 411 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
The Kia sign is ironic to me. It says "Your freedom doesn't end where your fear begins."
It looks to me like it says "Our freedom doesn't end where your fear begins", and that one letter makes a whole lotta difference. Other retailers and protesters have adopted that phase, and it sounds as if it's word-for-word -- complete with "If you are afraid to be within 6 feet of another person, do not enter this business!" -- for what this Colorado restaurant posted. They're not mavericks; they're copying/pasting.
Old 05-19-20, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 833 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yeah, why the fuck did wearing a mask or not become a political thing? It never amazes me how many Americans make everything a political statement these days, so fucking divided about every stupid thing. It's tiring.

Oh, and that store has the right to post any sign they want, but any place that posts passive aggressive douchebagesque signs like that will never get my business. Why cut yourself off at the knees just to alienate half your potential customer base in order to appease the asshole ones. Sounds like a completely idiotic business decision. Many business will not survive this pandemic as it is, so why make it harder for yourself? Idiots are willing to sacrifice much needed customers right now just to make a stupid point.
But what if you really, really, really want to buy a Kia? Hahahaha, sorry.
Old 05-19-20, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
It looks to me like it says "Our freedom doesn't end where your fear begins", and that one letter makes a whole lotta difference. Other retailers and protesters have adopted that phase, and it sounds as if it's word-for-word -- complete with "If you are afraid to be within 6 feet of another person, do not enter this business!" -- for what this Colorado restaurant posted. They're not mavericks; they're copying/pasting.
Maybe they are hoping that the state will shut them down for not practicing social distancing, and then they can start up a gofundme and rake in those sweet oppression dollars?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.