COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Other Talk "Otterville"

COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Old 05-14-20, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 448 Likes on 328 Posts
Re: COVID-19 NON-POLITICAL Thread

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Of course it was brought back to the home. Again, staying at home didn't do shit. Where did it come from? Nobody knows. How was it introduced...nobody knows. Maybe the death could have been avoided if the person was out in the public, keeping up with social interactions rather than being reclusive...where nobody is being monitored.

At this point, anything could reduce risk. A mask is just a convenient answer where no answers are to be found...or admitted.

You say wearing masks isn't being peddled as saving lives, but it sure is being conveyed that way. A lot of money is being spent on perception solutions.

A big issue right now is acute individuals staying at home, for fear of getting the virus when they have other more serious issues their doc needs to address. Most docs these days don't do anything for the patient if the patient doesn't speak up. Sad but realistic thanks to an overloaded healthcare system and with this "pandemic"...only makes it worse.

Expect studies showing basic masks having little to no effect in the coming months.
Over the years I have defended some of your rants DVDP ... but this is possibly the most obtuse thing I have heard from anybody other than [POLITICS CENSORED].

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Most contagion has occurred indoors.
https://www.erinbromage.com/post/the...hem-avoid-them

Of course it has. We spend most of our lifetime indoors.

https://snowbrains.com/brain-post-mu...pend-outdoors/
According to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the average American spends 93% of their life indoors. 87% of their life is indoors, then another 6% of their life in automobiles. Thatís only 7% of your entire life outdoors. Thatís only only one half of one day per week outdoors. Ouch.

The virus doesnít spontaneously generate inside though. That is not the problem.

OR maybe it does and that is The Governmentís plan ... if they force us all to lose our homes, we will have to spend all our time sleeping outside and we will all be cured!

Well letís flip the script. Maybe these businesses that are on the brink arenít needed. Maybe they were being run poorly and the reasons they are on the brink could be called ďpreexisting conditionsĒ. If your business was so fragile that a couple months of shutting down bankrupts you maybe you shouldnít survive. Maybe we have way too many restaurants. All that choice was an excessive luxury. High end steakhouse. How can you justify $75 for a choice steak when I can buy 3 pounds of prime at Costco for $35? Maybe we donít need charming boutiques run as a hobby by the wives of wealthy men. Maybe we donít need gyms when exercising can be done for free, by yourself, by watching YouTube videos.
I think this is something that we will see happen. Places that are pushing to open up are going to find out just where they fall in peopleís priorities, especially if the economic downturn is longer lasting. As has been said on here many times by many people, ďIs it worth it to be open?Ē

The other part of this I agree with and I caught hell for it. The shutdown may have been the straw that broke the camelís back, but it isnít what put you out of business. Not having any kind of a crisis management plan or emergency savings is what put most business owners in this position. Awhile back I did a series of Chamber of Commerce presentations on crisis management planning for businesses. It is terrifying how many business owners have absolutely NO contingency plans. It doesnít take a pandemic to shut you down for three months.

Following a localized natural disaster - a relatively short term event with a potentially extended recovery period - it is estimated between 40 to 60% of small businesses do not reopen. If a small business cannot reopen within 5 days after the disaster, the failure rate within a year is as high as 90%.

Yet small businesses spend virtually NO time on emergency planning. Why? Over the course of my presentations the top two answers were ďIt isnít worth my timeĒ and ďIt would mean I would have to think about failure.Ē

No, I wouldnít expect a business to have the foresight for this ... but too many have spent too much time deliberately ignoring much smaller and equally debilitating possibilities.

The following users liked this post:
tanman (05-14-20)
Old 05-14-20, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 363 Likes on 236 Posts

Most businesses focus contingency planning on stuff they can utilize insurance for. Place catches on fire, earthquake, flood.. but no insurance is covering this. I think it's crazy to think they should have assumed something like this would happen and have created a plan for it. That's just completely unrealistic. Planning/saving for this sort of thing would have had to have started years ago and there's nobody who could reasonably expected something like this was even likely to happen - especially on this scale.
The following 3 users liked this post by General Zod:
DJariya (05-14-20), Franchot (05-15-20), mspmms (05-15-20)
Old 05-14-20, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 395 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaymole View Post
This virus is going to make me rethink drinking water spit out by rock stars at concerts...which is sad as it is so refreshing.
I read yesterday that the venues that do open for live performances will be disallowing mosh pits and crowd surfing for now. What a relief. If I were to try to crowd surf, my co-attendants better have eaten their fuckin' Wheaties.
Old 05-14-20, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

If individuals are expected to have a 3-6 month emergency fund in case of unexpected situations like this, why donít businesses?
The following 3 users liked this post by Hadrian7:
cultshock (05-15-20), Mabuse (05-15-20), Michael Corvin (05-14-20)
Old 05-14-20, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 457 Likes on 326 Posts

^ That's what I'm getting at. I'm not saying anyone should have seen a pandemic coming. I'm saying you plan in case something happens.

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Even if you had say $100K saved. You would probably burn through that money in less than 2 months.
And 2 months would still be a better situation than he's apparently in now.
Abob Teff (05-15-20)
Old 05-14-20, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 96 Likes on 64 Posts

It's very easy to criticize someone's financial situation when you are not in that situation. I'm a Dave Ramsey guy, I have my emergency fund, no debt (other than my mortgage) and I'm disgusted by these last few days of comments. This was not a downturn in the economy, this was government forced closure... big difference imo. Take a look in the mirror and consider having a little more grace.
The following 4 users liked this post by Artman:
DJariya (05-14-20), Franchot (05-15-20), General Zod (05-14-20), mspmms (05-14-20)
Old 05-14-20, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 457 Likes on 326 Posts

I'm talking in a general sense (all restaurants protecting themselves from uncertainties). I've got nothing against a guy or a restaurant I've never heard of, he was just the jumping off board for a discussion.
Old 05-14-20, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,181 Likes on 877 Posts

If your kid wants to come to Los Angeles and go to USC, I hope you're saving. USC raises their tuition by 3.5% whether they hold classes online or not due to the pandemic.

USC tuition with the price hike is $59,260 per year.

https://www.dailynews.com/2020/05/14...till-doing-it/

Child of a DVD Talker: Dad, I want to go to LA and go to USC

DVD Talk Dad: Fuck you, you little shit, you're staying home and going to a JC for general ed and staying local and getting a job.

Last edited by DJariya; 05-14-20 at 11:23 PM.
Mabuse (05-15-20)
Old 05-14-20, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,181 Likes on 877 Posts

https://abc7.com/6183611/?ex_cid=TA_...-jW2ry21kLv1yo

Carnival Cruises announces massive layoffs and furloughs due to the pandemic.

Carnival Corp., the world's largest cruise company, announced on Thursday it will lay off hundreds of employees in California and other states due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The company has a major subsidiary, Princess Cruises, that is headquartered in Santa Clarita.

The majority of affected employees in the U.S. will be in Florida, California and Washington state, Carnival Corp. said in an email. The company is eliminating 820 positions and furloughing 537 employees for up to six months in Florida out of a workforce of about 3,000 employees.

Carnival did not disclose how many of those layoffs would be in California or how its corporate subsidiaries would be affected.

Old 05-14-20, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Most businesses focus contingency planning on stuff they can utilize insurance for. Place catches on fire, earthquake, flood.. but no insurance is covering this. I think it's crazy to think they should have assumed something like this would happen and have created a plan for it. That's just completely unrealistic. Planning/saving for this sort of thing would have had to have started years ago and there's nobody who could reasonably expected something like this was even likely to happen - especially on this scale.
Having insurance is not emergency planning. That was also a very common misperception at the Chambers I spoke to.

Emergency planning goes beyond having savings. That is just one strategy. It is not an easy one to accomplish.

Emergency planning is having contingencies ... what do you do if a car drives through your front lobby and you cannot open for three months because the insurance companies are haggling? Are you an office who can implement a remote-work plan? (I forget who it was, so I apologize, but the fellow DVDTalker who works for a major insurance company that did not have that in their plans is a great example.) Do you have an alternate or second location that you can utilize? Hell, do you have any method to even account for your workers if something happens?

A tornado takes the roof off 75% of your building while it is full of customers ... a contractor hits a gas line but doesnít report it and at 4:30 on a Friday the building next to yours, in the heart of downtown, explodes ... you only have two field workers who know how to run your plant and both are killed while out checking equipment ... a major computer virus is threatening to completely cripple your operations ... Iíve been through all of those firsthand so I can tell you those can happen. What plans do you have? You donít have to identify every little thing that could happen, but you have to have plans on how to react.

I really wish we didnít have to spend our energy on this. I agree that most business owners wouldnít have imagined this happening, but that doesnít leave them blameless. The best thing they can do is learn from this. Clamoring to open and begging to endanger their employees (and themselves) is not the answer. They are still in the same position: no plan. What are you going to do when your ďgrand reopeningĒ turns into the South Korean nightclub scene?

I fully agree the government should be doing more to assist these businesses ... that is where our outrage should be focused. Throwing a drowning man a fish doesnít help him. Yes, I believe the government should be fully incentivizing businesses to be responsible. Throwing everybody to the wolves is not the solution though.
The following 6 users liked this post by Abob Teff:
cultshock (05-15-20), lopper (05-20-20), Michael Corvin (05-15-20), spainlinx0 (05-15-20), tanman (05-14-20), VinVega (05-15-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 05-14-20, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
It's very easy to criticize someone's financial situation when you are not in that situation. I'm a Dave Ramsey guy, I have my emergency fund, no debt (other than my mortgage) and I'm disgusted by these last few days of comments. This was not a downturn in the economy, this was government forced closure... big difference imo. Take a look in the mirror and consider having a little more grace.
... and that is where my comments are being misconstrued, Art. Yes, I think and hope a business owner will learn from this and take emergency planning seriously in the future. To say the government put a business out of business is disingenuous though. As a Dave Ramsey guy, you know you cannot live leveraged to your eyeballs. Yet this is the norm, not the exception. In the mean time, I am not saying they shouldnít be helped. I am saying the governmentís vague notion of assistance to true Main Street small businesses is utterly disgusting and criminal on a moral scale.

One of my favorite local board game stores announced they were on the verge of closing. I went and met with the owner who told me his utilities were forcing him out of business. We walked through the ancient storefront and talked. I asked him a constant barrage of questions about his utilities and what he had done to control them. I gave him information that would have reduced his bills by 40% minimum (likely closer to 50%). Many of the ideas I provided him would have been little to no cost to him (most would have been covered by community programs from the municipality and energy efficiency incentives from the utility) and would have had immediate paybacks.

Six weeks later he closed and posted on social media it was because of the utilities. No, it wasnít. Utilities were a factor, but one he could have done something about. The utility bills didnít force him to close. He did. He used those as the excuse to avoid personal blame/guilt.
spainlinx0 (05-15-20)
Old 05-15-20, 06:20 AM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Abob

Last edited by mspmms; 05-15-20 at 06:54 AM.
Mabuse (05-15-20)
Old 05-15-20, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 834 Likes on 659 Posts

Well, can't say this was unexpected:

Old 05-15-20, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,328 Posts

First Frozen the Musical closes and now this! What a terrible week for Broadway.
Old 05-15-20, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 355 Likes on 260 Posts

Unfortunately so many small businesses were in the same boat as many households, leveraged up to their eyeballs and living month to month. I understand that many businesses operate on extremely small margins and require constant sales just to keep the cash flow going, but having no kind of contingency plans for various emergency situations and no kind of buffer for the slow times is not sustainable if you are trying to be successful. A business is kind of like your baby, and ideally you should have plans in place to be able to take care of it during bad times, at least to the best of your ability.
The following 2 users liked this post by cultshock:
Abob Teff (05-15-20), Michael Corvin (05-15-20)
Old 05-15-20, 11:50 AM
Admin

Received 299 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Unfortunately so many small businesses were in the same boat as many households, leveraged up to their eyeballs and living month to month. I understand that many businesses operate on extremely small margins and require constant sales just to keep the cash flow going, but having no kind of contingency plans for various emergency situations and no kind of buffer for the slow times is not sustainable if you are trying to be successful. A business is kind of like your baby, and ideally you should have plans in place to be able to take care of it during bad times, at least to the best of your ability.
Saving for a rainy day is not really part of our culture anymore sadly. It's not surprising that businesses would manage their finances the same way as most households.
Abob Teff (05-15-20)
Old 05-15-20, 12:21 PM

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
and how would you know if a restaurant is being run poorly because they’re forced to shut down this long? Do you know someone in the business and have you seen their operating costs? Do you really think an independent owner carries a year or longer of savings to protect himself from a freaking viral pandemic? That’s simply not feasible for the vast majority unless the owner is a multi millionaire. And takeout orders are simply not enough to pay your bills.

one restaurant and deli Owner in NYC that I saw impacted by this has been open for 70 years. He was forced to furlough the vast majority of his staff. Does that make him a shitty business owner? But he’s a good dude and is paying their health insurance as long as he can. But not forever. He said in the interview that he needs financial help as he cannot survive too much longer.
Agree with all of this. I used to work in the restaurant business & it takes a hell of a lot of money to just keep these places open & make any kind of profit: I.e., paying the employees; rent; food/supplies; electricity; etc. Even being closed for a relatively short (but unexpected) period of time is enough to get some of these places into the hole.

And, though I hate a lot of sit-down places (as I mentioned in an earlier post), it's terrible that all/most of these restaurants (sit-downs, delis, drive-throughs, etc.) are forced to either close down or curtail their services due to the pandemic. This has resulted in a lot of people becoming unemployed - and, in many cases, working in the restaurant industry was the only job they had ever done. And, this is just one industry that the pandemic has truly fucked.

Last edited by TheDude; 05-15-20 at 01:15 PM.
DJariya (05-15-20)
Old 05-15-20, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
NY announces another month of lockdowns of businesses.

Then this story out of Arizona...where waiters can't except tips...because...you know...cooties on the money...

https://www.azfamily.com/news/contin...4eb9947de.html

These are governments telling business owners to do the dumbest things I've ever heard of, and have no basis in scientific analysis. It's all conjecture, made up crap. Why all this paranoia? That's left to another discussion, but it's just not helping anyone. It's making things worse, it's spreading misinformation, and it's certainly not helping anyone gain stability in these times.
Old 05-15-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Saving for a rainy day is not really part of our culture anymore sadly. It's not surprising that businesses would manage their finances the same way as most households.
That's at least partly because the economy is so driven by spending. The stimulus was put out there mainly to be spent. You're generally looked at as really foolish, as a business or as an individual, if you have large amounts in savings instead of investing (either in your business or in the stock market) because the return is so low on just sitting on money and having liquidity. And forget about it if you're publicly traded, you're basically downgraded if you're saving too much.
Old 05-15-20, 12:56 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
When this shit happened I was fully prepared as far as being a home owner and provider for a family. Full stocked kitchen, tons of toilet paper, paper towels, tons of essentials like first aid, toothpaste, soap, etc.

Why was I prepared? Because Iíve lived in California all my life and itís been explained to us that if we are under 40 we will experience the big one in our lifetimes. An earthquake with a severity that will disrupt supplies and services for 72 hours.

How was I prepared? Iím not a doomsday preper. Iím just a Costco shopper. I keep a steady inventory of stuff, always with that 72 hours number in the back of my head. I didnít have to go to the store for weeks after this started.
Old 05-15-20, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Abob

Yes, but ... they can have my kids ...
Old 05-15-20, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 363 Likes on 236 Posts

When this shit happened I was fully prepared as far as being a home owner and provider for a family. Full stocked kitchen, tons of toilet paper, paper towels, tons of essentials like first aid, toothpaste, soap, etc.

Why was I prepared? Because I’ve lived in California all my life and it’s been explained to us that if we are under 40 we will experience the big one in our lifetimes. An earthquake with a severity that will disrupt supplies and services for 72 hours.

How was I prepared? I’m not a doomsday preper. I’m just a Costco shopper. I keep a steady inventory of stuff, always with that 72 hours number in the back of my head. I didn’t have to go to the store for weeks after this started.
I'm not understanding your point here. Are you saying preparing for an earthquake at your home and surviving for 72 hours after that is the same as a Business with employees, food, payroll, etc, trying to survive for 2+ months during a global pandemic?

I'm not saying businesses should not have expected for something to happen I'm saying there's no WAY they should have expected for something like this to happen for this long and at this scale. Like I said before for normal disaster events you have insurance help with the money and you have plans in place. This is not normal.

One example I can give is I was talking to the owner of the CPK right near our house and this was the day before the stay at home order kicked in and all the restaurants got shut down (we had no idea that was about to happen when we were speaking to him). He said that people were stealing the toilet paper in the bathrooms and he's almost out of toilet paper. If he can't have toilet paper - he can't keep the bathrooms open. If he can't have bathrooms they aren't allowed to stay open. His supplier said they had no more available and all the stores, at that point, had been cleaned out. So I offered to give him some but it turned out he got shut down the next day anyway. But what these places have to deal with and all these possible scenarios and the expectations they'd somehow be expected to plan for all of them is crazy. I'm sure it's super easy to see all these playing out when your sitting in a chair months later Monday morning quarterbacking. But let's try to stay realistic.
DJariya (05-15-20)
Old 05-15-20, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why was I prepared? Because Iíve lived in California all my life and itís been explained to us that if we are under 40 we will experience the big one in our lifetimes. An earthquake with a severity that will disrupt supplies and services for 72 hours.

How was I prepared? Iím not a doomsday preper. Iím just a Costco shopper. I keep a steady inventory of stuff, always with that 72 hours number in the back of my head. I didnít have to go to the store for weeks after this started.
So how many months of food and water did you have stored up? Wait, only weeks? You obviously weren't prepared enough. That's what you're basically saying to businesses that are in trouble because they've been closed for three months. Most if not all could probably go a few weeks, but three months, and then have their intake be cut in half (or worse) once they can reopen?
Old 05-15-20, 01:50 PM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I get the feeling that everyone and I mean EVERYONE* feels like everything is just going to magically resume like a carefree Leonardo DiCaprio whistling down the street (to pre-Covid levels) when a cure is discovered and distributed. Being the cynic that I am, add a bit of sadisim too, I cannot wait for the dominos to fall. Hear me out. The 2008 housing crisis was never allowed to play itself out because the FED chairman Ben Bernanke pumped so much money into the markets to prop up and prevent the "true" crash that we needed to see and grow out of naturally. Instead the banks that were supposed to fail were given a bailout - the stock market that was supposed to fail was given a bailout. Flash forward to 2020 - mark my words - the collapse of the stock market is going to make the Great Depression look like child's play. That "true" correction is going to start to play out when the world starts to re-open. The stock market will go first and take the housing market with it. Yes, a much needed correction, albeit a very drastic one that hopefully everyone is financially prepared for. And, don't think the myth of, well if the stock market preforms bad the housing/real estate market actually does the reverse. Not this time. This time landowners who are being told they can't collect rent on the property that they own are going to start to go bankrupt and be forced into selling land/property. What we are about to witness is the biggest cash/land grab in modern history. The perception of what you thought you owned is going be flipped upside down. Baring any absurd FED bailouts the "correction" is going be jaw dropping.

I'm not giving financial advice but those with manageable 401Ks or retirement accounts might want to think about allocating a good portion to cash and sit it on the sidelines or risk losing even more because a true recovery or "going back to normal" is going to take at minimum a decade-plus. And that's just getting back to serviceable levels. I'm not kidding when I say this, the world you knew as recently as January is not coming back. Close your eyes and imagine your local Main Street as a dusty western town but just with a McDonald's and Taco Bell on the corner.

*people in LA specifically that I encounter out in the wild

**mods although this post may be construed as partially political - it's not - and I feel more eyeballs will see this here than in the political thread and hopefully give the people a heads-up into getting their financial ducks in a row.
Old 05-15-20, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

Then this story out of Arizona...where waiters can't except tips...because...you know...cooties on the money...

https://www.azfamily.com/news/contin...4eb9947de.html

These are governments telling business owners to do the dumbest things I've ever heard of, and have no basis in scientific analysis. It's all conjecture, made up crap. Why all this paranoia? That's left to another discussion, but it's just not helping anyone. It's making things worse, it's spreading misinformation, and it's certainly not helping anyone gain stability in these times.
Except that isn't what the story said at all ...

The employer announced a policy that servers would not get the tips customers provided in ANY form. It had nothing to do with payment method or any COVID-19 required precaution. The employer was trying to keep the actual tips (knowing they are larger than normal) and paying the servers "the average of the tips they earned" pre-COVID.

This is a desperate or greedy business owner, not a government conspiracy.

But Wednesday, they called a meeting with the staff to announce a new tipping policy. Horn provided Arizona's Family with a handout given to Tap House Kitchen staff at the meeting, which detailed the new tipping policy as the restaurant reopened the dining room to customers. According to the handout, servers, bussers and bartenders wouldn't be able to keep the tips they got from customers.

"They're literally what we survive on. Like, we get a paycheck every two weeks that is so much below minimum wage, like it doesn't even cover a bill," Horn said.

Instead, staff would be paid the average of their tips that they earned prior to the restaurant shutting down due to COVID-19, and it would be on their paychecks. Several employees who worked at Tap House Kitchen told Arizona's Family that the policy had already been going on for staff who'd been operating curbside pickup service during the pandemic.

Horn says she thought the policy was unfair because many customers have been trying to give waitstaff larger-than-normal tips because of all the financial hardships caused by the coronavirus.

When Horn spoke up in the meeting, the owners reversed course on the new tipping policy. But Horn says hours later she got a text from co-owner Nic Ferrantello telling her that she'd been fired.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.