Reload this Page >

Do you take supplements?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Do you take supplements?

Old 03-19-20, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Do you take supplements?

I take a lot since my bypass. I feel like they really help. What do you guys take?

New Chapter whole mega fish oil (2)
Weider artery health (1)
Whole Food Multivitamin plus (3)
Smarter Nutrition Curcumin (2)- I was taking another brand that had black pepper and it was ripping my stomach apart so this uses black cumin seed oil instead
Evolved Organics tart cherry extract (1)
Red Mountain liver support (2) I have NAFL
Angry Supplements apple cider vinegar (2)

Im actually gonna be dropping the multivitamin in favor of a liquid one.

Old 03-19-20, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Do you take supplements?

We each take a tablet of Vitamin-D daily here in Alaska. Our blood showed a very bad Vitamin-D deficiency before this, now we are good. Other than that - we eat healthy.
Old 03-19-20, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by danwiz View Post
We each take a tablet of Vitamin-D daily here in Alaska. Our blood showed a very bad Vitamin-D deficiency before this, now we are good. Other than that - we eat healthy.
Same; although not quite as north.
Old 03-19-20, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Old Lady Multivitamin (Women's Over 55 one-a-day)
Biotin (hair, skin, and nails)
Probiotic
Colace to keep everything, ahem, moving below decks

This is in addition to five prescription and two OTC allergy meds I take daily.
Old 03-19-20, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

That "Men's All-in-One" from Costco, as well as Vitamin D since I don't get out much.
Old 03-19-20, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yes, Iím really trying to watch my diet. I donít really think I took it serious or I did for awhile after my surgery but then I kind of drifted off. Since January, Iíve lost 12 lbs and Iíve pretty much cut out all fast food and assorted junk.
Old 03-19-20, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I take a men’s all in one. I’ve been considering taking fish oil since my triglycerides are through the roof.
Old 03-19-20, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

None they turn my pee dark yellow...
Old 03-19-20, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I take a men's multi, 2000 IU Vitamin D, 500mg Vitamin C, Biotin, probiotic and then elderberry as needed if cold or flu symptoms show up.
Old 03-19-20, 03:14 PM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 53 Likes on 27 Posts

I take a multivitamin and I've started taking Magnesium when I had an eye twitch that just wouldn't stop. It really helped. Magnesium is good for nerve function and that seemed to do the trick.
Old 03-19-20, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Vitamin D - Every person living above the Sun Belt should be taking it, especially during the winter months.

Curcumin - Excellent anti-inflammatory with a variety of health benefits.

ZMA - Every man alive should be on this patented combination of Zinc and Magnesium. Most appreciable benefits I've ever received from an over-the-counter supplement. Anyone that regularly exercises needs this fairly cheap supplement.

Creatine - Benefits go beyond mere mass building. 75-year-olds can take this and improve several health parameters.

Omega-3 fatty acids, especially DHA - Typical Western diet is deficient in Omega 3s unless you live off fish.

I take other things that wouldn't be applicable to all phenotypes like L-Carnitine. The stuff above should be incorporated into most people's daily living.

Most multi-vitamins are manufactured garbage, unfortunately. Absorption is an issue for many oral supplements. Curcumin above is poorly absorbed unless packed with certain other ingredients.
The following users liked this post:
PileOfFudge (03-21-20)
Old 03-19-20, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Curcumin needs black pepper to help with absorption but the supp I used to take with the black pepper was killing me.
I take this now it uses cumin seed oil.

The following users liked this post:
PileOfFudge (03-21-20)
Old 03-19-20, 05:42 PM
Political Exile

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I take the Target brand of Flintstones chewable complete with Iron. I need the B-12 because I'm a vegetarian. And I need the iron because I gave blood five times last year.
Old 03-19-20, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Vitamin D - Every person living above the Sun Belt should be taking it, especially during the winter months.

ZMA - Every man alive should be on this patented combination of Zinc and Magnesium. Most appreciable benefits I've ever received from an over-the-counter supplement. Anyone that regularly exercises needs this fairly cheap supplement.

Creatine - Benefits go beyond mere mass building. 75-year-olds can take this and improve several health parameters.

Omega-3 fatty acids, especially DHA - Typical Western diet is deficient in Omega 3s unless you live off fish.

I take other things that wouldn't be applicable to all phenotypes like L-Carnitine. The stuff above should be incorporated into most people's daily living.

Most multi-vitamins are manufactured garbage, unfortunately. Absorption is an issue for many oral supplements. Curcumin above is poorly absorbed unless packed with certain other ingredients.
I agree with you. But, I've got a question. Please tell us honestly how much all of the above costs you on a monthly basis. At least those supplements that you recommend that everyone should be taking? $300 per month? $500 per month? Less? Where do you get your supplies? Obviously the cost is NOT insignificant.

Probably I should be taking Vitamin D for sure, as I don't like the sun... Only one I take is one of those "garbage" multisupplements for men from Target. How can it hurt? Why is it "manufactured garbage?"
Old 03-19-20, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vitamin D3 - 2000 IU daily. Just got off 60000 IU weekly that was prescribed (had a liver transplant in November so had the need)

Magnesium Oxide - 800mg daily

Aspirin - one a day, prescribed

4 other meds prescribed due to said transplant. Two of which, Prograf and Myfortic, I get to take for the rest of my life.

I miss 2018 and before, I took two GNC Mega Men vitamins in the morning and went about my day. No need for a pillbox!
Old 03-19-20, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I started having vitamin D and B12 issues when I lived in Alaska. Hair falling out, balance so bad I couldn't close my eyes in the shower without hugging the wall, leg pain so bad it kept me up. I thought I had some sort of terminal disease, but it was just vitamin deficiencies.
Old 03-19-20, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

- caffeine pills

(Need to stop this crap someday).
Old 03-19-20, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I tried to manage/"cure" my stomach problems and my prostate problems with prescription meds and supplements. I stopped. Worthless in my case. All I needed was a massage toy and weed.

But hey, if you're training to be and/or are a pro athlete, then supplement away.
Old 03-19-20, 09:02 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I take several different vitamins/minerals/herbal supplements twice daily because I honestly feel like they do me good. I know that I ran out of Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM once (only once), and my shoulder pain returned with a vengeance. Took a little bit back on the G/C/M for the pain to recede but it did, and stayed gone. Lesson learned.
Old 03-19-20, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Not every day,but about once a week. Warning do not drink when having Mexican food.
I add it to juice or water.
I'll add some more latter on.
Old 03-20-20, 06:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Have to hand it to you (thumbs up) that post is the definition of "hollow".
Received 124 Likes on 89 Posts

I just had my daily dose.

Old 03-20-20, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post

I wanted to look into the magnesium/zinc. Do you have a specific brand/product name you use?
Old 03-20-20, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm really sorry, but a lot of what I'm reading just looks and sounds like snake oil being peddled by a GNC franchisee.

I had bariatric surgery 4+ years ago. The supplements I take are medically necessary because I eat hardly any food, yet my body still needs vitamins and minerals so I don't develop rickets or scurvy or any shit like that. I have blood drawn, my surgeon and dietician review the results, and adjust my supplements as necessary. Right now, it's a chewable multivitamin, plus B1, B12, C, D3, K2 MK7, Calcium and Iron in some combination of daily and weekly amounts. The only "recommended, but not required" supplement I take is a probiotic to help my gut flora and to avoid B deficiency.
Old 03-20-20, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
I take the Target brand of Flintstones chewable complete with Iron. I need the B-12 because I'm a vegetarian. And I need the iron because I gave blood five times last year.
What form are you taking the B12 in?
Old 03-20-20, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess there’s really no definitive way to tell what helps and what doesnt. I feel better after I take my cocktail so until otherwise (or my next labs) I’m gonna keep trying. 😀

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.