DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   COVID-19: Survival Mode- tips, hacks, advice for enduring the next...months (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/650070-covid-19-survival-mode-tips-hacks-advice-enduring-next-months.html)

Paul_SD 03-16-20 04:00 AM

COVID-19: Survival Mode- tips, hacks, advice for enduring the next...months

The end-in-sight for the pandemic is the development and release of the final vaccine or the (antibiotics?).
The economic devastation is likely to be a lot longer lasting.

I think people are going to have to get into a "surviving the depression-era" mode in terms of making do with less, and a level of frugality that most aren't ready for considering how fortunate we've been post- WWII.

Figured it would be nice to have a thread where people can share this kind of wisdom, if they have any.

I'll kick it off with a food rec- Dried beans and lentils. high source of protein and a good source of fiber and something that keeps. You can make hearty soups that can be used as a main course. They are also usually more economical dried than in cans, though I guess they would be more sensitive to storage (vermin, etc).

Also- good to invest in large containers of baking soda and vinegar.

TheBigDave 03-16-20 04:33 AM

re: COVID-19: Survival Mode- tips, hacks, advice for enduring the next...months

Buy toilet paper.

TheBigDave 03-16-20 07:20 AM

I just got back from the grocery store. Here's what was completely wiped out:

Chicken - Raw and Frozen
Ground Beef
Raw Sausage (like Brats)
Canned Tuna & Canned Chicken
Hot Dogs
Lunch Meat
Pasta
Pasta Sauce
Gatorade
Pillsbury Biscuits
Cream Cheese
Lactose-free Milk
Eggs
Orange Juice
Carrots
Cough Syrup & Nyquil
Acetaminophen/Tylenol (they still had lots of Ibuprofen/Advil and Naproxen/Aleve)
Paper stuff like Kleenex, Toilet Paper and Paper Towels

The soup was about half empty, but still lots available.
I saw lots of people buying Water Bottles

VinVega 03-16-20 08:21 AM

Contact wholesalers for cooking products. They are going to have a lot to sell because restaurants are not going to be selling it. How can we get that stuff into the hands of consumers? Everyone is going to be trying to cook at home.

dex14 03-16-20 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13705153)
Contact wholesalers for cooking products. They are going to have a lot to sell because restaurants are not going to be selling it. How can we get that stuff into the hands of consumers? Everyone is going to be trying to cook at home.

I wonder why??

Big Dave 03-16-20 08:29 AM

We won't run out of food, but that still doesn't mean we shouldn't do our best to not waste what we already have.
Over the weekend, I went through and organized everything I had by expiration date.
While I'm not strictly going by that, it does help give a sense of order and direction as what to eat day by day.

If you're going a little stir-crazy as well, it may not be bad to doing a bit of Marie Kondo-ing to your home.
Not only will that help you stay busy, but you'll have a bunch of stuff to donate/sell/trash at the end.
I think being in a clean and organized place makes being there just a bit easier.

dex14 03-16-20 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 13705160)
We won't run out of food, but that still doesn't mean we shouldn't do our best to not waste what we already have.
Over the weekend, I went through and organized everything I had by expiration date.
While I'm not strictly going by that, it does help give a sense of order and direction as what to eat day by day.

If you're going a little stir-crazy as well, it may not be bad to doing a bit of Marie Kondo-ing to your home.
Not only will that help you stay busy, but you'll have a bunch of stuff to donate/sell/trash at the end.
I think being in a clean and organized place makes being there just a bit easier.

Whoa whoa whoa, stop the clock... we a "Big Dave" and "The Big Dave"????

First post in two years...you must be going more than a little stir crazy.

VinVega 03-16-20 08:37 AM

His long lost twin.

Vibiana 03-16-20 08:38 AM

When I shopped on Saturday morning, I bought lots of frozen veggies, the kinds I normally avoid because they're expensive. Figured I'd give myself a little treat in addition to getting my veggies. :) I don't buy many kinds of veggies canned--the only ones I can think of are tomatoes for chili or casseroles, some kinds of beans, beets, and creamed corn--and I already had enough of that kind of thing. I also bought several cans of Spaghetti-O's but when SSG Honeylamb got back from National Guard drill last night she stopped by my house (I always fix her supper when she gets home from drill, I'm a good ex, what can I say :D ) she looked longingly at them and I sent all of them home with her. :lol:

I couldn't find any fresh ground turkey in the store I went to, but I did get some frozen. With that I'll make meatloaves, which can be easily divvied up for lunchtime sandwiches and that kind of thing.

Agree with Big Dave on the organizing and culling--a lot of the panic that's happening right now is people wanting to be in control of something, since they can't be in control of whether or when they get the virus or someone they love gets it.. But they can be in control of their supplies or the state of their home.

Big Dave 03-16-20 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13705161)
Whoa whoa whoa, stop the clock... we a "Big Dave" and "The Big Dave"????

Ha, I lurk here pretty regularly, but never post.

Sdallnct 03-16-20 10:52 AM

My Wrangler has 33x12.5” tires and a 2” lift. I’ve always carried hiking boots, couple spare light jackets, blankets, smaller cooler, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, large flashlight and several growlers (that if shit really hit the fan I guess could hold water).

If needed I could throw in a sleeping bag, my travel grill and larger cooler w/food and be in the middle of nowhere when hours!

Oh wait, no WiFi? Screw this “bug out” idea! 😂

Cardsfan111 03-16-20 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 13705161)

Amidst all this chaos, we may see forum activity increase to levels unseen in quite some time.

EinCB 03-16-20 01:41 PM

The primaries are still on for tomorrow. When you go vote, bring your own pen.

Why So Blu? 03-16-20 01:42 PM

If you haven't given intermittent fasting a try, now's the time to start.

I will add that folks should pay their utility bills for the next month in advance. I already paid my phone, electric, gas bills for April, so I should be on the grid for the next month.

VinVega 03-16-20 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111 (Post 13705371)
Amidst all this chaos, we may see forum activity increase to levels unseen in quite some time.

Yes, there are even Sheep Threads.

Paul_SD 03-16-20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? (Post 13705376)
If you haven't given intermittent fasting a try, now's the time to start.

Funny, but I've been rapidly losing my appetite anyway.

I do need to drop a good 25-30 lbs anyway.

E Unit 03-16-20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 13705239)
Ha, I lurk here pretty regularly, but never post.

Let's see how many lurkers start posting, since you know...we're all at home together.

Michael Corvin 03-16-20 08:03 PM

I think we've resigned ourselves to staying home except for work and taking groceries to parents. Might get a little stir crazy a week from now but we have more entertainment in this house than most need.

My wife is a nurse so she's gonna strip when she gets home and toss her clothes in the washer and shower immediately after each shift in an effort to not bring anything home.

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 13705160)

My wife went through both refrigerators over the weekend (mostly for cleaning them) and organized and took stock. Turns out we have a decent amount of frozen shit we can use that was just buried in each fridge. Couple that with the grocery visit (got a hair more than the usual this week) we could be good for a couple weeks.

I've been dieting since Jan. 1, so I'm already eating light and have been intermittent fasting. Two teenagers being home and snacking all day isn't going to be good though. :lol:

One of my daughters just had her first guitar lesson last week, so I told her no time like the present to practice, practice & practice. The music school emailed saying they set up skype lessons for anyone wanting to stay home (but remain open for now).

Opinions wanted: My big dilemma is that I'm in the middle of finishing my basement. I have $500 sitting here ready to drop on insulation. So do I drop the money and have something to keep me busy and maintain my progress, or do I hold the cash for an emergency* until this blows over?

*I have 6 months emergency fund in an account as is.

zyzzle 03-16-20 08:18 PM

^ Keep busy and complete the basement project. It will keep your psyche from going to a darker place.

As to keeping busy at home, now there is time enough at last to enjoy and watch the media that I've had sitting in the unwatched pile.

Also, I plan to make a lot of bean soups and rice dishes to utilize some of that stash of dried goods that I have. Diet modification to less processed foods will do us all a great deal of good. I plan to get creative on utilizing many of the canned goods that I have in storage. Also have had things like powered Ensure stored for awhile that will get used. Plenty of pasta and garden tomatoes on the vine out in the yard garden right now will make for some delicious Italian cuisine in the coming weeks. An excess of fresh lemons and oranges from my trees in the yard will provide plenty of fresh juice and Vitamin C.

Daily walks around the neighborhood will provide needed introspection and fresh air. Not relying on the car for anything will be a comfort to me, not a debility or inconvenience.

Kurt D 03-16-20 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by zyzzle (Post 13705730)
Plenty of pasta and garden tomatoes on the vine out in the yard garden right now will make for some delicious Italian cuisine in the coming weeks. An excess of fresh lemons and oranges from my trees in the yard will provide plenty of fresh juice and Vitamin C.

-eek-
The benefits of living in SoCal! If I had a garden I'm sure I wouldn't be seeing tomatoes until late July or August.

Abob Teff 03-16-20 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13705708)

Opinions wanted: My big dilemma is that I'm in the middle of finishing my basement. I have $500 sitting here ready to drop on insulation. So do I drop the money and have something to keep me busy and maintain my progress, or do I hold the cash for an emergency* until this blows over?

*I have 6 months emergency fund in an account as is.

We had been prepping for a small bathroom remodel and are having the same debate ... Not sitting on 6 months, but we’re OK for the time being.

Abob Teff 03-16-20 08:29 PM

Zyzzle makes a good point ... get out and go for walks! Being home doesn’t mean having to stay indoors.

With no baseball and softball on the horizon, maybe this is the year we finally get a garden put in!

Michael Corvin 03-16-20 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Abob Teff (Post 13705740)
Zyzzle makes a good point ... get out and go for walks! Being home doesn’t mean having to stay indoors.

Yeah my parents wanted to have my family and them go for a walk at the park yesterday. I was game until I saw the weather. It was 35° outside. Yeah, not happening. :lol:

stingermck 03-16-20 08:42 PM

I second the walk as well. Today was my first work from home day. So on my lunch break, took the dogs for a walk. Good to get outside and get some exercise too.

cultshock 03-16-20 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin (Post 13705708)
My wife is a nurse so she's gonna strip when she gets home

:hump: ;)