Reload this Page >

COVID-19: Survival Mode- tips, hacks, advice for enduring the next...months

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

COVID-19: Survival Mode- tips, hacks, advice for enduring the next...months

Old 03-19-20, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
re: COVID-19: Survival Mode- tips, hacks, advice for enduring the next...months

I signed up for Imperfect Foods, with an add on for dairy, meat, and grains (in addition to the produce). I am really doing my best to not leave the house at all. I also made a couple experimental Costco orders--one from business delivery because I didn't realize they had grocery delivery, too. Unfortunately, the foods I most want in my grocery delivery--eggs and fresh green beans--have a low stock warning. Still, some apples and persian cucumbers would be awesome.

I've gone into depression era mode food management. I spent over an hour this morning peeling all the garlic we had from a Costco bag (20+ heads), which I then blended with some oil and salt, and froze flat. I'll move the paste into a ziplock bag this afternoon. The idea of flat garlic paste over chunks is I can break off whatever I need. I had encountered a few bad cloves, and realized I'd better prep it now or risk having all the garlic could go bad. I'm doing that for everything. We ate Korean radish soup yesterday, made from a daikon that was long in the tooth but still good, and leftover broth from when I made twice cooked pork earlier in the week. I used to get teased by my husband for wanting to save every last chicken bone, but not anymore.
Old 03-19-20, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
As the kids are home and most of the restaurants are closed and as ingredients are hard to come by in the empty supermarkets, it seemed to me this would be the PERFECT time to start a trial of Hello Fresh/Blue Apron type service where they send you all the fresh ingredients by mail and have you cook a gourmet meal in your house. I went with Hello Fresh after letting my kids look at both menus for next week. There are plenty of discount coupon codes floating around for first orders.
My first shipment will be coming on Saturday. Will post about the experience this weekend after trying it out.
Our experiences:
Hello Fresh is good, a lot of recipes are very healthy (i.e. lots of vegetables). Sometimes too healthy for the kids.
Blue Apron, my wife ordered and never got her shipment, and they never would issue her a refund. Despite us never ever having a problem with deliveries or thefts here. They're on our blacklist.

She's been doing Home Chef lately which feels a bit cheaper / less healthy but the recipes have been a good balance mostly, and serving sizes that seem pretty realistic even for a couple of hungry teenagers. Sometimes the recipes feel really cheap / overpriced, but most of the time they've been good.

A few of them have had good ideas I'm planning on replicating outside of the box (Asparagus roasted in oven with sun dried tomato pesto was really tasty).
Old 03-19-20, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

for the garlic tip, Tasha.

Garlic is one of the big things on my list if I ever make it out to a grocery store again. I thought I was completely out, but just discovered to old bunches. Most of the cloves were garbage, but a couple were salvageable (though one smelled like my old tennis sneakers from 1979). Didn't yield a lot, but I'm thankful for the meager portions. I was wondering how to save them. I peeled and wrapped them in a moist piece of paper and stuck them in the fridge initially. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to soak 'em in olive oil first, since that's what they'd get cooked with anyway.

I need to remember to stock up on freezer bags now too.
Old 03-19-20, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not into survivalist stuff. Mostly worried about keeping up with bills. They say they won't turn off utilities, yadda yadda - but I'm still going to have to catch up everything afterwards.

I have a small business that I need to keep alive too. Crazy how things can squeeze you so quickly.
Old 03-19-20, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
for the garlic tip, Tasha.

Garlic is one of the big things on my list if I ever make it out to a grocery store again. I thought I was completely out, but just discovered to old bunches. Most of the cloves were garbage, but a couple were salvageable (though one smelled like my old tennis sneakers from 1979). Didn't yield a lot, but I'm thankful for the meager portions. I was wondering how to save them. I peeled and wrapped them in a moist piece of paper and stuck them in the fridge initially. I don't know why it didn't occur to me to soak 'em in olive oil first, since that's what they'd get cooked with anyway.

I need to remember to stock up on freezer bags now too.
I used just a bit of a neutral oil, though olive oil would work--just enough to get my immersion blender to make a paste (like 1/4 cup for 2 cups of cloves--I didn't measure). Just in case anyone gets the idea, do not drop cloves of garlic into oil and let it sit around. There are a lot of botulism myths out there, but raw garlic in an anaerobic environment is one way to get it.
Old 03-19-20, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

no blender so I just chopped it up and mixed a drops of oil with them and then into a bag and into the freezer.

damn. Looks like I'll have to use them soon anyway.
How long will chopped garlic in olive oil last?
Individual peeled cloves will last up to a week in the fridge, and chopped garlic will last no more than a day unless stored covered in olive oil, in which case it will lasttwo, maybe three days.
Old 03-19-20, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

One other thing the store was completely out of was hot dogs and lunch meats. All kinds, all brands. Just a big empty cooler.
Old 03-19-20, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 134 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
One other thing the store was completely out of was hot dogs and lunch meats. All kinds, all brands. Just a big empty cooler.
That's like a staple of my household with all the kids home.
Old 03-20-20, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Nadine took all the hot dogs to make her Overnight Salad.

Old 03-20-20, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ventured out today for drive around. Traffic seemed normal. Grocery store parking lots were packed like on weekend. Saw $1.85/gallon gas at a station. When did that happen?
Old 03-20-20, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts

If you hoarded Instant Ramen Noodles (like me, and apparently a bunch of other people in my town), then this might help!
Ramen Hacks: 30+ Easy Ways to Upgrade Your Instant Noodles
Old 03-20-20, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 96 Likes on 56 Posts

Ventured out today for drive around. Traffic seemed normal. Grocery store parking lots were packed like on weekend. Saw $1.85/gallon gas at a station. When did that happen?
It's been dropping for a while. Below two bucks in places for like a week I think.

Traffic here is almost non-existent. I haven't touched my brake on the highway all week.
Old 03-20-20, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
If you hoarded Instant Ramen Noodles (like me, and apparently a bunch of other people in my town), then this might help!
Ramen Hacks: 30+ Easy Ways to Upgrade Your Instant Noodles
My daughters love Ramen and we came up short on our grocery trip so you sir, suck. :P
Old 03-20-20, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 55 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin View Post
My daughters love Ramen and we came up short on our grocery trip so you sir, suck. :P
I only bought 2 6-packs. It wasn't even something on my radar, but when we were going into the store, we saw people with carts stacked of the 24-pack instant noodle cups, and I was like: OMG RAMEN!!
Old 03-20-20, 10:26 AM
Suspended

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Been doing Ramen hacks like that at home for years. Don't need no apocalypse scenario to get creative on some MSG heavy noodles.
Old 03-20-20, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Costco business delivery arrived. That was so fast! No "hard to find" items except yeast, and that was the one item not in it. We have a modest amount of yeast already, but it's half dead. The good thing about yeast though is that like coronavirus, it grows exponentially. So mostly dead yeast is good enough given extra time.

One purchase I made was extremely stupid and I'm shaking my head at myself. I bought mini-moos, because my daughter likes cream in her coffee and milk is perishable and hard to find. But . . . she won't be visiting.

Here's a good and easy bread recipe. It's the same as the NYT recipe, but not paywalled. https://leitesculinaria.com/99521/re...ad.html#recipe It is so simple and cheap--it just takes planning (more for me with bad yeast). It's not as good as the best French bread, but it's much better than most and has a really short ingredient list (flour, salt, yeast, water).

Old 03-20-20, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts

I just went to the grocery store and aside from the unmanned "wash hands station" at the entrance, it looked like business as usual. They had everything including TP. I asked the cashier and she said the only crazy days were last Thursday/Friday when people were hoarding TP.

I dunno, maybe we're less panicky/survivalist-y than you lot.
Old 03-20-20, 04:14 PM
Suspended

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I just placed an order with PRIME NOW for booze.
Old 03-20-20, 09:51 PM

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Amazon is so backed up right now. If you plan on ordering anything from them, expect to wait an extra week or two.
Old 03-21-20, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone have their own protocols for venturing out and shopping for groceries?

I was going to try to avoid this as long as possible, but the distribution system might take a hit soon so probably not a good idea to expect things to remain in their already constricted state. I know Italy supposedly has kept the grocery stores open, but I don't want to get complacent.

So- are you wearing gloves? A mask? Bringing hand sanitizer or wipes? Do you wipe down the food items as you pick them?
Old 03-21-20, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went to Costco and a liquor store today. No gloves or mask, but I had hand sanitizer to use occasionally. I figured that with all the products and surfaces I'd be touching, there wasn't too much of a point in being super-vigilant throughout the shopping process; more important to not touch my face during.

When I got home, my wife and I put away anything that needed to be refrigerated or frozen.

For the pizza 4-pack and milk 3-pack, I opened the cardboard boxes, she took out their contents, and I threw the boxes in the recycle bin.

For the other cold stuff (bags of vegetables), she wiped down the exteriors with paper towels dampened with rubbing alcohol.

I left everything else (room-temperature snacks, liquor bottles, detergent) in my car to let any potential viruses die off of surfaces over the next 2 or 3 days. Helps that my car is in our garage (away from prying eyes or hands) and that the weather will be relatively cold over that time.

After we got the groceries settled, I kicked off my shoes in the garage, put all my clothes in the washing machine, and took a shower.
Old 03-21-20, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Amazon is so backed up right now. If you plan on ordering anything from them, expect to wait an extra week or two.
I had two items delivered a day earlier than delivery date yesterday.
Old 03-21-20, 06:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Paul_SD View Post
Anyone have their own protocols for venturing out and shopping for groceries?

I was going to try to avoid this as long as possible, but the distribution system might take a hit soon so probably not a good idea to expect things to remain in their already constricted state. I know Italy supposedly has kept the grocery stores open, but I don't want to get complacent.
Two items that you may have to plan around are dairy and bread. Don't know if this is nationwide, bread delivery drivers are union and there are no deliveries on Wednesday or Sunday. They leave extra on Tuesday and Saturday but with the way things are now that may get wiped out faster. All day Wednesday, Sunday, and Thursday/Monday mornings there may be no bread.
Dairy delivery drivers are also union. They were Mon-Fri with no weekend deliveries. Don't know if that still holds.
Old 03-21-20, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

I was wondering why this is in Politics and not Otter.
Old 03-21-20, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Probably a better place for it.

I'm usually in here and rarely venture in there. That's the only reason.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.