DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Stock Market Meltdown (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/650047-stock-market-meltdown.html)

sinned 03-12-20 01:33 PM

Stock Market Meltdown

Anyone following the stock market? Haven't seen anything like this in my life, so far 1000+ movements every day of the week. My 401k is down 40% so far. Hope it gets better soon.

VinVega 03-12-20 01:36 PM

Re: Stock Market Meltdown

We were talking about it in the Trump Thread in Politics. I'm ok talking about it here as long as politics don't get pulled into it. Keep it on a financial topic only please.

General Zod 03-12-20 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13702606)
I'm ok talking about it here as long as politics don't get pulled into it. Keep it on a financial topic only please.

:lol:

You've got the best sense of humor.

VinVega 03-12-20 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod (Post 13702607)
:lol:

You've got the best sense of humor.

I'm hopeful. If not, we can roll it into the Trump thread, or just move it to Politics.

VinVega 03-12-20 01:46 PM

Anyway, my 401K was down 10% before I stopped looking at it. The panic is driving it WAY below where it should be. It's going to come back. If you cash out at this point, you just locked in your losses.

Dan 03-12-20 01:48 PM

I'm not a stocks guy but I own stocks in two companies.
one has dropped 50% in the last week or so.
The other is now basically a penny stock.
Damn.

kefrank 03-12-20 01:49 PM

Yeah, the first rule of managing investments is you have to be proactive, not reactionary. If you only react, you end up selling low and buying high, so there's not much sense in trying to do something now.

At this point, I'm just not even looking at my 401k. Either the world is going to implode or stocks will eventually rebound. Either way, one of those two things will happen well before I need to retire.

General Zod 03-12-20 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13702616)
Anyway, my 401K was down 10% before I stopped looking at it. The panic is driving it WAY below where it should be. It's going to come back. If you cash out at this point, you just locked in your losses.

Yeah I did the same thing. Looked at it last week and decided I wasn't going to look again. I've got lots of other investments as well that are in stocks but my portfolios are all on the "low risk" end since I never trust the market. Having said that I'm obviously still taking a hit there but I'm only losing 1% when the market drops 5% (on average). Still.. it's hurting.

VinVega 03-12-20 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod (Post 13702621)
Yeah I did the same thing. Looked at it last week and decided I wasn't going to look again. I've got lots of other investments as well that are in stocks but my portfolios are all on the "low risk" end since I never trust the market. Having said that I'm obviously still taking a hit there but I'm only losing 1% when the market drops 5% (on average). Still.. it's hurting.

How far are you from retirement Zod?

X 03-12-20 01:59 PM

This is a great opportunity to put new money or convert traditional IRA money into a Roth IRA, buy cheap stocks and wait.

General Zod 03-12-20 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13702624)
How far are you from retirement Zod?

Well I'm but a young pup of just 50 so I could keep going for another 10 years or so. But my wife is 8 year older than I am and she's ready to retire now. We want to travel while we still can so I was probably going to jump out in 5-6 years since we have a nice nest egg aside from the 401k but this may put a delay in some of that. Even if the market drops another 30% I'm still confident it'll recover before it would impact me too much. I hope.

DVD Polizei 03-12-20 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by sinned (Post 13702605)
Anyone following the stock market? Haven't seen anything like this in my life, so far 1000+ movements every day of the week. My 401k is down 40% so far. Hope it gets better soon.

Just leave it where it is. It'll rebound quickly like everything else in the last 4 years.

DVD Polizei 03-12-20 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13702616)

I don't agree with you on virtually everything, but this, I agree 100%.

DVD Josh 03-12-20 02:07 PM

I'm still buying, because what Vin says is right - people are panic selling. Buying stocks on the day of the crash is always a good way to make money long term.

I am 25+ years to retirement. I am not worried about what is happening today.

VinVega 03-12-20 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod (Post 13702634)
Well I'm but a young pup of just 50 so I could keep going for another 10 years or so. But my wife is 8 year older than I am and she's ready to retire now. We want to travel while we still can so I was probably going to jump out in 5-6 years since we have a nice nest egg aside from the 401k but this may put a delay in some of that. Even if the market drops another 30% I'm still confident it'll recover before it would impact me too much. I hope.

Yeah, that's a pretty tight window. Makes sense that you're more conservative. I can't see myself retiring before 65, so that means 20 more years for me in the market. At least I'm buying cheap stocks right now. I might up my contribution level if nothing else. Probably take a double check on my ratio of stocks to safer investments once things stabilize.

b2net 03-12-20 02:30 PM

I am down equal to my contributions for the last 8 years. While that initially sounds terrible, I am not counting my employer's matching or any gains. Just a quick calculation of what is lost divided by approximately what I annually contributed.
​​​​​

DVD Polizei 03-12-20 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 13702640)
I'm still buying, because what Vin says is right - people are panic selling. Buying stocks on the day of the crash is always a good way to make money long term.

Yeah, what's gonna happen is the portfolio managers will be buying those dumped stocks which will later, maybe in as little as 6 months, increase in value several times over. I'd even say by the end of this year, you won't even notice a loss, and will probably make another 10% on top of it.

Also, the stock market and futures have another issue. Russia and OPEC. They're currently fighting over oil which is also making anything related to oil (like plastics, like China!), getting hit as these guys battle it out and see who blinks first.

VinVega 03-12-20 02:39 PM

It's times like these that test your nerve as an investor. We're not day traders for the most part, we're in for the long haul. Times like these require courage. I know it sounds hokey, but it's true. Look at this thing over the last 100 years, it will eventually come back.

funkyryno 03-12-20 02:47 PM

I just wish I had a nice wad of cash for some bargain shopping. Oh well, I'll just ride it out like I did in 2008-10.

Groucho 03-12-20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh (Post 13702640)

This is my exact philosophy.

Goat3001 03-12-20 02:52 PM

I am a day trader (or at least that's my side profession) and that's what I'm least worry about. If you exercise patience as a trader then you can make big money on these massive moves even when the market is getting crushed. I've made a profit the last two weeks.

My regular portfolio is taking a massive beating though. Down over $200k since the top of the market just a few weeks ago. Zero panic for me though. If you're in it for the long haul then you're in it for the long haul.

If we're able to figure this all out and contain the virus, then I expect a big turnaround come next earning season where it'll show that this was a big overreaction by the market.

If we're not able to figure it out and people start dying at an alarming rate in the US then... hold on to your butts. This will last years.

eXcentris 03-12-20 03:02 PM

As I said elsewhere, I sold my entire RRSP (401k) on Feb 27th, a couple hours before orange dufus gave his 1st corona virus press conf. And every morning since, I've been patting myself on the back. I'm 60, retired, and I have no company pension. I lose that money, I have to find a job, at least part time, again. I haven't touched the 1/3 of my investments outside my RRSP, but I've managed to protect the other 2/3 of my capital. At my age, that's more important than possible future gains.

cultshock 03-12-20 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by kefrank (Post 13702619)
At this point, I'm just not even looking at my 401k. Either the world is going to implode or stocks will eventually rebound. Either way, one of those two things will happen well before I need to retire.

That's the way I'm thinking about it. It will either be ok by the time I retire in around 20 years, or the house of cards will all come crashing down, in which case we're screwed anyway. With my luck, it will recover and then a year before I retire something similarly bad will happen and I'll lose a ton. :lol:

Nick Danger 03-12-20 03:05 PM

I started accumulating cash in 2017 in expectation of this day. But the second half of 2019 was expensive, and I spent it. :(

eXcentris 03-12-20 03:07 PM

You young whippersnappers have plenty of time to recover. ;)