DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Can we please get rid of this already (aka don't forget to "spring ahead" this weekend) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/649993-can-we-please-get-rid-already-aka-dont-forget-spring-ahead-weekend.html)

nemein 03-04-20 07:53 AM

Can we please get rid of this already (aka don't forget to "spring ahead" this weekend)

-ohbfrank-

It's that time of the year again where we have to reset all our clocks (the most onerous one being the biological one) due to some silly idea from the 1800s made into permanent law in the 60s.

Bluelitespecial 03-04-20 07:55 AM

Re: Can we please get rid of this already (aka don't forget to "spring ahead" this weekend)

I think its fine and I look forward to it this weekend.

Dan 03-04-20 07:58 AM

Re: Can we please get rid of this already (aka don't forget to "spring ahead" this weekend)

*saving

Noonan 03-04-20 08:00 AM

Finally, I'll have some sun when I leave work! :banana:

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...daf5db36fd.jpg

Bacon 03-04-20 08:04 AM

Remember you’ll lose an hour of rain when you spring forward

Bacon 03-04-20 08:05 AM

Make it permanent
this getting dark at 5 in the winter sucks
yeah I know the whole but the kids will be waiting for the school bus in the dark BS

GoldenJCJ 03-04-20 08:12 AM

^ Screw the kids! I want my hour of daylight in the evening!

nemein 03-04-20 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dan (Post 13697722)
*saving

Um... that's the way I always recall it being pronounced.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst...ings-time.html

The term “Daylight Savings Time” is very commonly used, especially in Australia, Canada, and the United States. It's likely that the incorrect term “savings” entered the popular vocabulary because it's so often used in everyday contexts, like “savings account.”
So I guess technically incorrect, but in common usage. That's a different topic though ;)

VinVega 03-04-20 08:21 AM

I'd prefer if we went to Daylight Savings Time all year. Standard Time is for suckers.

Dan 03-04-20 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by nemein (Post 13697732)
Um... that's the way I always recall it being pronounced.

https://www.timeanddate.com/time/dst...ings-time.html

So I guess technically incorrect, but in common usage. That's a different topic though ;)

Yeah, I've heard and said savings for 30-ish years. It was only in the last 5-10 years when I realized it was technically wrong, but so common that it's unavoidable. Kind of like folks pronouncing GIF with a hard G; they're wrong, but they're the 'majority', so we have to put up with their dumb arguments. ;)

Mrs. Danger 03-04-20 08:36 AM

Where's the "I don't really care" option? The poll is incomplete.

emanon 03-04-20 09:16 AM

I don't care which way they decide to go, I just think we need to do it as a nation. Right now, IL is considering (or decided to - I haven't stayed on to of it) switching over t no longer observing DST. That's great and all, until I want to drive a half hour north to WI, and have it be a different time...but for only half of the year. How am I supposed to remember when the bars open/close?

So yeah. Keep it. abolish it. Hell, change 12PM to 12AM - half the people can't seem to keep that straight already, anyway. But do it from coast to coast, not in select states.

Eddie W 03-04-20 10:19 AM

I don't know why everyone gets in such a snit about this twice a year. After all, it's not like the sun rises & sets at the same time all year. This is just the best solution to make sure daybreak isn't at 9:00 am in the bleakest darkest days of winter. And it's not like you'll be frolicking in sunlight in the winter evenings anyway. Without adjustment where I live, it will just get dark at 6:20 instead of 5:20 in Dec/Jan. Big whoop.

Groucho 03-04-20 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13697735)
I'd prefer if we went to Daylight Savings Time all year. Standard Time is for suckers.

This is what Utah is probably going to do.

E Unit 03-04-20 10:30 AM

I vote Twikoff (we still doing that in polls?)

I hate Daylight Savings Time. That shit needs to go. If Sanders wants my vote, he'll need to make this is platform - abolish DST.

Vibiana 03-04-20 10:31 AM

just leave it on standard time all year would be my vote.

Nick Danger 03-04-20 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 13697819)
This is what Utah is probably going to do.

You're changing from Mountain Time to Arizona time?

Groucho 03-04-20 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger (Post 13697837)
You're changing from Mountain Time to Arizona time?

Just the opposite. Arizona is on Mountain Standard Time year round, Utah will probably be on Mountain Daylight Time year round.

Nick Danger 03-04-20 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 13697838)
Just the opposite. Arizona is on Mountain Standard Time year round, Utah will probably be on Mountain Daylight Time year round.

So the Four Corner states will have three different time zones! :lol:

Jaymole 03-04-20 10:43 AM

I always get mixed up whether to move the clock backwards or forward as I am always springing back in fear of the littlest things and always falling forward due to people constantly pushing me from behind.

Kevin Phillips 03-04-20 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by nemein (Post 13697717)
-ohbfrank-

It's that time of the year again where we have to reset all our clocks (the most onerous one being the biological one) due to some silly idea from the 1800s made into permanent law in the 60s.

It's that time of the year when we have to listen to all of the whiners complaining about changing their clocks. You could always join the 21st century and have clocks that automatically update for DST. :D2:

BobO'Link 03-04-20 10:45 AM

I absolutely detest the time change. Pick one and leave it alone!

I *did* experience year 'round DST (January 6, 1974 until April 27, 1975) when the nation experimented with the supposed "energy saving" aspect due to the energy crisis (and you don't ever save any energy - what you "save" in the evening is "spent" in the early morning hours). It was odd not getting "light" until around 8:30am or so but I was a college student and didn't really care. Those who screamed about kids waiting for school buses in the dark have obviously never lived anywhere that there are kids in the country riding buses. Lots of kids in my area are waiting on a bus in the dark much of the school year due to the time they have to get on one (one passes my house every morning around 6:30).

I've said for years that if an employer came in one Monday and announced "For the next 8 months we're going to open at 7am and close at 4pm so I can get in more time on the golf course/lake/fishing/etc." most of the employees would be up in arms yet we roll over to get our bellies rubbed when "the government" does it.

milo bloom 03-04-20 10:54 AM

Pick one or the other and leave it be.

And I also used to get on the bus in the dark for a 2 hour ride when I lived in KY. My kid in the suburbs will be just fine.

Bronkster 03-04-20 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by VinVega (Post 13697735)

Yes! Standard Time is only around four months anyway.

mndtrp 03-04-20 11:01 AM

I don't really care about the time change itself, as it's not that big of a deal. DST is far preferable to me than standard time.