Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Can we please get rid of this already (aka don't forget to "spring ahead" this weekend)

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: I ...
think we should eliminate daylight savings time
77.19%
support daylight savings time
22.81%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Can we please get rid of this already (aka don't forget to "spring ahead" this weekend)

Old 03-05-20, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: Can we please get rid of this already (aka don't forget to "spring ahead" this weekend)

Originally Posted by nemein View Post
Thought about it, but I'm still theoretically a moderator around here so need to maintain decorum
Old 03-05-20, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts
Re: Can we please get rid of this already (aka don't forget to "spring ahead" this weekend)

Originally Posted by BobO'Link View Post
It *does not* save energy. Studies in 2008 showed that Americans use more domestic electricity when they practice daylight saving.
Yes, that's my main beef about it; my post above makes this abundantly clear. But, ask the average person, and they'll tell you "Oh! I like DST because it stays light longer, and it saves energy, doesn't it?"

Stupid.
Old 03-05-20, 06:53 PM

It *does not* save energy. Studies in 2008 showed that Americans use more domestic electricity when they practice daylight saving.
Yes, that's my main beef about it; my post above makes this abundantly clear. But, ask the average person, and they'll tell you "Oh! I like DST because it stays light longer, and it saves energy, doesn't it?"

Of course, I should have known the REAL reason for DST mania boils down to business greed. Not good stewardship of the planet. Never, never in America!

Stupid.
Old 03-06-20, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I could've swore in CA we voted to get rid of this daylight saving bullshit a few years ago. And here we are, zero movement. Meanwhile, same election, we voted to get rid of grocery stores giving us free bags, and that was enacted literally the day after the elections!
The following users liked this post:
Alan Smithee (03-08-20)
Old 03-06-20, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
I could've swore in CA we voted to get rid of this daylight saving bullshit a few years ago. And here we are, zero movement. Meanwhile, same election, we voted to get rid of grocery stores giving us free bags, and that was enacted literally the day after the elections!
CA voted to go full time DST. That's not allowed unless the Uniform Time Act is revised or repealed. It allows states to go to ST year round but *not* DST.
Old 03-06-20, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

CA voted to go full time DST. That's not allowed unless the Uniform Time Act is revised or repealed. It allows states to go to ST year round but *not* DST.
Okay, but we've gone through both cycles multiple times. When will it stick? Next Fall? It didn't last one, nor the one before that.
Old 03-06-20, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Stick with standard time 12 months a year

The days will still be longer in the Summer and don't be a greedy pig and have sunlight after 8pm.

More daylight means more time to do work and chores which I don't like.

Remember you’ll lose an hour of rain when you spring forward
It never rains in CA so that will not be a problem
Old 03-06-20, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Okay, but we've gone through both cycles multiple times. When will it stick? Next Fall? It didn't last one, nor the one before that.
The Uniform Time Act is federal law. You can vote 100% every year and go through a thousand cycles but until Congress changes or repeals the act you *can't* "stick" in DST mode.
Old 03-07-20, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While I almost agree, the only thing is that most of the clocks around my house automatically change anyway (iPhone, iPad, clock in kitchen that "listens" to WWWE, desktop computer clock, TiVo DVR, kitchen cable set top box and bedside clock).
Old 03-07-20, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw this earlier today:

"A poll last year by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research found that 7 in 10 Americans preferred not to switch back and forth to mark daylight saving time. But there was no agreement on which time clocks ought to follow."

So... 7 out of 10 Americans apparently want the practice to end. Why are we still doing this stupidity?

I'll answer my own question: Because business lobbies have more pull with congress than the constituents for whom they are *supposed* to be working.
Old 03-07-20, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Love that I never have to deal with it.
BobO'Link (03-07-20)
Old 03-07-20, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I think there was a prop in 2018 to have daylight savings all year which is dumber than changing the clocks for daylight saving times.
Old 03-07-20, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

We would get the same effect by simply changing our schedules.
Old 03-07-20, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

The only clocks I have in the house that don't change themselves are my chiming mantel clock and the digital clock on my kitchen stove. I leave the chiming clock on standard time all year because it's too much of a bitch to change it. I will change the kitchen stove clock before bed tonight.
Old 03-07-20, 07:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 118 Likes on 88 Posts

The above poll to get rid of it won, so I don’t have to sleep an hour less tonight right? Can the admins notify my bosses please?
BobO'Link (03-07-20)
Old 03-07-20, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

I take this twice yearly opportunity to bend the laws of physics, nature, and time to my will for I am American and only I should determine when the sun sets and rises. Bow to me, m-fers!
Old 03-07-20, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
We would get the same effect by simply changing our schedules.
That would confuse and annoy the sheeple... I can hear it now: "What do you mean we go to work at 7am instead of 8am?!?" When you change the clock you still go to work at the same time... that's different.
Old 03-07-20, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While there's movement afoot to get rid of DST, CA plans on keeping it year round. Meanwhile, a bunch of eastern states want to switch to a system that will put them an hour ahead of EST. And there's more brouhaha about time zone changes among some other states as well. It you think moving your clocks ahead or back is bad now, just wait. It's going to be a disaster trying to keep track of what state is in what time zone.

IMO, as an Arizonan, we've doing just fine without DST for a number of years. Let's just get rid of it. It isn't necessary... never was.
Old 03-07-20, 09:07 PM

Received 89 Likes on 67 Posts

Old 03-08-20, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I love this day! As an salaried overnighter I finally get the hour back I "donated" in the fall Plus everyone comes in all mad about the time change but I get to rub it in their faces that I get to work an hour less.
Old 03-08-20, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
IMO, as an Arizonan, we've doing just fine without DST for a number of years. Let's just get rid of it. It isn't necessary... never was.
AZ had the right idea all along. Since it's 120 degrees in the summers, and they know DST consumes more energy, they stick to standard time the year-round. Good for them; so shines a good deed in an insane world.
Old 03-08-20, 05:49 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

I voted to eliminate DST, I think it's stupid to hang on to such an antiquated concept and it's WAY more trouble than it's worth. In Ohio, it was just starting to get light and dark at good times, now it's going to be all fucked up again. Why in the hell would I want it to still be daylight (this summer) at 9pm???
Old 03-08-20, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by kd5 View Post
I voted to eliminate DST, I think it's stupid to hang on to such an antiquated concept and it's WAY more trouble than it's worth. In Ohio, it was just starting to get light and dark at good times, now it's going to be all fucked up again. Why in the hell would I want it to still be daylight (this summer) at 9pm???
Exactly, it's totally fucked-up reasoning.
Old 03-08-20, 05:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd prefer if we went to Daylight Savings Time all year. I'm old and used to waking up in the dark. Let me have later twilight.
Old 03-08-20, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I don't care which time zone stays, just fucking pick one and keep it the whole year round.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.