Reload this Page >

Making homemade pizza in advance

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 02-14-20, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you make Chefboyardee pizza in advance to cook later? Will it come out right? I'd rather put it together earlier in the day, stick in fridge, then pop it in at 9-10pm. Should the crust be cooked a little first? Concerned that pre-baking the crust a little will make the crust get done before the cheese is completely cooked in final baking.
Old 02-14-20, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: Making homemade pizza in advance

I don't think I've had one of these since Reagan was president, so I don't know if they're made the same way now, but I sort of recall that the crust dough wasn't like a normal pizza crust, and was kind of sticky and gooey like canned crescent rolls, so I don't know if it would hold up for hours in the fridge without being baked first.

Old 02-14-20, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't use that kind of dough, but buy "Pizza Dough" on Amazon, make the crust, spread it on a pan (with rough flour or corn meal underneath so it won't stick), then freeze it on a flat surface (plastic mat or something). I've put tomato sauce on it ahead of time and froze it, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 02-16-20, 12:04 PM

I've bought those "take and bake" fresh (not frozen) pizzas from a Grocery store and they turn out fine. Not great but fine. I'd try it as I can't see anything really bad happening. Perhaps the crust might rise a bit even in the cold of the refrigerator adding some taste and texture.
Old 02-16-20, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tried it and it worked. One problem, I pre-baked the crust a little and without the sauce, cheese and toppings to weigh it down the center of the crust rose up even with the edge.
Old 02-22-20, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
I've bought those "take and bake" fresh (not frozen) pizzas from a Grocery store and they turn out fine. Not great but fine. I'd try it as I can't see anything really bad happening. Perhaps the crust might rise a bit even in the cold of the refrigerator adding some taste and texture.
Yeah, that seems like an easier option. I just got a 15-incher at my grocery store for five bucks, reduced from the regular $10.

Glad the OPís situation worked out, though
Old 02-22-20, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Can you make Chefboyardee pizza in advance to cook later? Will it come out right? I'd rather put it together earlier in the day, stick in fridge, then pop it in at 9-10pm. Should the crust be cooked a little first? Concerned that pre-baking the crust a little will make the crust get done before the cheese is completely cooked in final baking.
if you have some time to wait, Iíd make legit pizza dough, that can last a couple days refrigerated and will actually be better the longer you let it proof. Itís really simple to do, the main issue is having the space/tools to kneed and roll the dough.