DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   Question about Joe Rogan... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/649819-question-about-joe-rogan.html)

Ash Ketchum 02-09-20 09:22 AM

Question about Joe Rogan...

I watch The Joe Rogan Experience on YouTube. He gets a lot of interesting guests from a wide spectrum of political views and subjects. I just watched a two-and-a-half-hour interview he did with Michael Malice and they touch on a huge array of topics from North Korea to strange fish at the bottom of the sea to mixed martial arts to lions fighting water buffaloes to distressed jeans to the cultures of L.A. and Brooklyn. I don’t necessarily endorse Rogan’s interviewing style—he doesn’t act his age, he curses way too much and comes off too much like a stoner for my tastes—but I like the shows and the guests. And he does have a childlike sense of wonder at times that I find appealing, although it's part of the stoner persona. If I had to label him, I would think "stoner libertarian." But he is a smart guy and I find him more intriguing than, say, Bill Maher, although I thought his interview with Maher was excellent, the best I've ever seen of Maher. Still, as YouTube interview shows go, I prefer Dave Rubin and The Rubin Report.

My question is this: What is Joe Rogan most famous for? I’m sure I’ve heard of him before but when I started watching his YouTube show late last year, I couldn’t remember where I knew him from. In Googling him, I found he’d been a regular guest on Howard Stern in the early 2000s, the exact period in which I was a loyal listener of the Stern show, so I must have heard him several times as a guest.

What do you guys know him from? Stand-up comic? Fear Factor? MMA commentator? Something else? What's his reputation?

Just curious.

Thanks.

Here's a link to the show with Michael Malice:

Bluelitespecial 02-09-20 09:30 AM

Re: Question about Joe Rogan...

He's famous as the host of Fear Factor and being a stand up comedian. Also I think he's involved with UFC as a commentator.

Decker 02-09-20 09:31 AM

Fear Factor and UFC host.

But I liked him on Newsradio

joeblow69 02-09-20 10:08 AM

Strongly dislike him, but I honestly couldn't tell you why.

GoldenJCJ 02-09-20 10:21 AM

I was first introduced to Rogan on Newsradio.

Then he became somewhat well known for his stand up , which got a big boost from his beef with Carlos Mencia.

Then his MMA stuff, which I donít really watch but see Rogan on from time to time.

now his podcasts. The dude seems to reinvent himself regularly.

cultshock 02-09-20 10:32 AM

I was introduced to him on Newsradio (love that show!). I never watched Fear Factor or any of his other stuff, other than his stand up comedy once in awhile. I've seen some of his podcasts on Youtube though, if he has a guest on that I'm interested in. Some of those shows have been pretty good IMO.

DVD Polizei 02-09-20 10:33 AM

I don't like his personality on the radio. He swears too much and distracts from the topic. He tends to resort to internet facts to argue a point which diminishes his credibility as he should be using his own arguments and not somebody else's.

TheBigDave 02-09-20 10:42 AM

He had a really good episode last week with political satirist Andrew Doyle (aka Titania McGrath) about the woke/cancel culture.

Osiris3657 02-09-20 12:18 PM

Guess no one watched The Man Show? He took over for a few years with Doug Stanhope after Jimmy Kimmel/Adam Corolla left.

That, Fear Factor host, UFC color commentator (been that for like 20 years), and of course stand up.

Trevor 02-09-20 02:13 PM

I’ve only seen him on Newsradio, those other shows aren’t really in my wheelhouse. Heard one podcast so far, and it was good, but I have too many podcasts already to make his a regular listen.

dhmac 02-09-20 02:34 PM

Yeah, Newsradio and Fear Factor mainly. And that was back when he still had hair which makes clearly recognizing him now a bit tougher.

Paff 02-09-20 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 13685106)
Guess no one watched The Man Show? He took over for a few years with Doug Stanhope after Jimmy Kimmel/Adam Corolla left.

You beat me to it.

Except I only watched a few episodes after they took over. When they did, it suddenly became the misogynistic show everyone had always accused it of being. With Kimmel and Corolla, it was more of a laughing AT typical male behavior, but with Rogan it was decidedly more mean-spirited.

dhmac 02-09-20 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei (Post 13685055)
I don't like his personality on the radio. He swears too much and distracts from the topic. He tends to resort to internet facts to argue a point which diminishes his credibility as he should be using his own arguments and not somebody else's.

What's an "Internet Fact"?

joeblow69 02-09-20 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 13685201)

Pretty sure those are like "dictionary facts" but you get them on the internet.

TomOpus 02-09-20 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 13685201)

If it's on the internet, it must be a fact.

dhmac 02-09-20 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus (Post 13685233)
If it's on the internet, it must be a fact.

Oh, so like a "TV Fact" in if it's on TV, it must be a fact.

But what if I'm watched TV on the Internet - is that an "Internet Fact" or a "TV Fact"?

GoldenJCJ 02-09-20 06:29 PM

I kind of miss the good old days when a fact was a fact and everything else wasnít. :shrug:

TomOpus 02-09-20 06:53 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 13685249)

But what if I'm watched TV on the Internet - is that an "Internet Fact" or a "TV Fact"?

Hey, I'm just the internet messenger.

Abob Teff 02-09-20 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13685142)
Iíve only seen him on Newsradio, those other shows arenít really in my wheelhouse. Heard one podcast so far, and it was good, but I have too many podcasts already to make his a regular listen.

I was going to say exactly that. From clips that I have heard, I might enjoy the podcast (may not agree with it), but I have too much in my regular rotation now.

Noonan 02-10-20 07:42 AM

I'm a big fan of the cast (less so of Joe himself but I don't dislike him). He has people on from all different walks of life and introduces me to new people.

Highly recommend the recent Daryl Davis episode; I had no idea who he was before the show.

Bandoman 02-10-20 08:48 AM

I've only heard a few of his podcasts, and have read about him over the years. Here's my impression:
- 9/11 Truther
- Believes the moon landing was faked (although I heard he might be coming around on this one)
- Has expressed some very anti LGBTQ sentiments over the years
- Extremely talented and bright guy who can make compelling arguments for things that are just plain wrong

dvdjunkie32 02-10-20 09:42 AM

Worst part of his podcast is the seemingly never ending advertisements he does at the beginning. Jericho used to do that on his podcast and thankfully trimmed it or spread it out. Now I just tell Alexa to play Joe Rogan podcast and skip ahead by 5 minutes. It works pretty good. lol

I love the weird topics like UFOs and time travel.

Noonan 02-10-20 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 (Post 13685693)
Worst part of his podcast is the seemingly never ending advertisements he does at the beginning. Jericho used to do that on his podcast and thankfully trimmed it or spread it out. Now I just tell Alexa to play Joe Rogan podcast and skip ahead by 5 minutes. It works pretty good. lol

You can also avoid the ads also if you watch/listen via YT. They never put any of them in the video.

DVD Polizei 02-10-20 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by dhmac (Post 13685249)

I know, it's confusing.

Bluelitespecial 02-10-20 10:32 AM

He frequently drops acid and smokes weed on the show. I liked his interviews with Tulsi Gabbard, but it shocks me he's a Bernie supporter. He tells many stories of hunting and Bernie wants to take away our guns.