Reload this Page >

Question about Joe Rogan...

Other Talk "Otterville"

Question about Joe Rogan...

Old 02-12-20, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts
Re: Question about Joe Rogan...

He has gotten the alt-right label for talking to Jordan Peterson and Alex Jones. I wish he could get Tom Lykis and Coach Mike Leach on his show.
Old 02-12-20, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
He has gotten the alt-right label for talking to Jordan Peterson and Alex Jones. I wish he could get Tom Lykis and Coach Mike Leach on his show.
Jordan Peterson isn't alt-right and is also mislabeled as such. It's like the people making these labels either have no idea what the labels mean or they are so far left that anyone to the right of Che Guevara is alt-right or far right in their minds.
Old 02-12-20, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Believe me I know Jordan Peterson isn’t Alt right.
Old 02-12-20, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 189 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Believe me I know Jordan Peterson isn’t Alt right.
But he sure is loved by the alt-right. Misogyny and racism play really well there.
Old 02-13-20, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

He's also a hunter and has been on a few episodes of the Meat Eater series with Steve Rinella. I've checked out of few of his podcasts and he can be thoughtfully opinionated. Also watched a couple of his Netflix stand-up specials and laughed quite a bit.
Old 02-14-20, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Draven View Post
But he sure is loved by the alt-right. Misogyny and racism play really well there.
What a BS article. In reality, the actual alt-right despites Jordan Peterson.

If you have about an hour to spend, this breaks down how completely wrong the claim is that the actual alt-right likes Jordan Peterson

Edit: Here's an article about how Jordan Peterson is smeared in one of these false articles:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...-of-jew-hatred

Last edited by dhmac; 02-14-20 at 01:28 PM.
Old 02-14-20, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 189 Likes on 112 Posts

Yeah, the last thing I'm going to do with my life is give an hour of it to anything involving Jordan Fucking Peterson
The following 6 users liked this post by Draven:
AGuyNamedMike (05-20-20), Dan (02-14-20), majorjoe23 (02-14-20), Nesbit (05-20-20), Noonan (02-14-20), Trevor (02-14-20) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-14-20, 12:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

yeah, this isn't a Peterson thread (but of course he gets brought up...), and I feel sympathy for the guy with some of the shit he's had to deal with (wife's cancer, which he says led to him getting addicted to pills), but he's also the dumbass who promoted an all-meat diet and gave himself brain damage because he went to Russia to be put in a medically-induced coma as a cheat code to skip over withdrawals from benzodiazepine, which doctors in the US and Canada explicitly refused to do because of how dangerous and dumb it is.
Old 02-14-20, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
yeah, this isn't a Peterson thread (but of course he gets brought up...), and I feel sympathy for the guy with some of the shit he's had to deal with (wife's cancer, which he says led to him getting addicted to pills), but he's also the dumbass who promoted an all-meat diet
Jordan Peterson actually doesn't promote the all-meat Carnivore diet even though he's on in (due to his daughter, Mikhaila Peterson, who does promote the diet). In one of his interviews on Joe Rogan, Jordan Peterson called the diet boring and said he doesn't recommend going on it despite certain health improvements he's seen (he even warned that, once on it, going off the diet at all will cause a person to feel extremely ill for days). And the Carnivore diet is just one of many ketogenic diets that are popular now to achieve a state called "Ketosis" and that do help people with certain medical conditions (for example, epilepsy). The only reason Mikhalia Peterson is on it is due to some medical condition she has (I'm not sure why she got her dad on it too).

And the Carnivore diet is on-topic because now Joe Rogan is on it. Here's a clip from a recent show in which he talks about the first month of being on the ketogenic Carnivore diet.

Last edited by dhmac; 02-14-20 at 02:35 PM.
Old 02-14-20, 02:22 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
The only reason Mikhalia Peterson is on it is due to some medical condition she has (I'm not sure why she got her dad on it too).
Because they're both grifters, and they want you to excuse their grift, which you're doing very well.

Funny that you ignored the part about him giving himself brain damage for trying to bypass the detox process for benzos, though.

edit: and I know what a keto diet is, thanks. The Petersons' meat-only diet is a subset of that, sure, kind of like Operatic Prairie Death Math Metal could be a subset of metal, but it doesn't make it any more legitimate or recommended by non-quack doctors*.

*note: 0 out of 0 doctors recommend Operatic Prairie Death Math Metal. It's bad for your lungs.
Old 02-14-20, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Because they're both grifters, and they want you to excuse their grift, which you're doing very well.

Funny that you ignored the part about him giving himself brain damage for trying to bypass the detox process for benzos, though.

edit: and I know what a keto diet is, thanks. The Petersons' meat-only diet is a subset of that, sure, kind of like Operatic Prairie Death Math Metal could be a subset of metal, but it doesn't make it any more legitimate or recommended by non-quack doctors*.

*note: 0 out of 0 doctors recommend Operatic Prairie Death Math Metal. It's bad for your lungs.
I skipped the detox part because I don't know much about it and I try to avoid talking about things I don't know much about, which doesn't seem to stop you.
Old 02-14-20, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

Stupid fad diets, people are always trying to find an easy way out.

Hmm, wonder what Operatic Prairie Death Math Metal would sound like? I've heard operatic stuff with metal, and I know what death metal and mathcore sound like, but there's no "Prairie metal", I'm starting to think that you made that up!

Old 02-14-20, 02:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I try to avoid talking about things I don't know much about
based on your defense of Peterson these two pseudoscience grifters Ok then.

which doesn't seem to stop you.
DAMN. Nice burn.

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I'm starting to think that you made that up!
Shh! Don't tell!
Old 02-16-20, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Stupid fad diets, people are always trying to find an easy way out.
I remember when the Ketogenic diet was called the Atkins diet (huge in the '90s) or just the low carb diet, and when the Carnivore diet was just called the no carbs diet. These diets have been around for decades in slightly different forms with the same basic idea of eating proteins and fats but limiting or completely avoiding carbohydrates.

I think the only thing really faddish about this is the name of the diet changes every time that they come back again in popularity.
Old 02-16-20, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 245 Likes on 190 Posts

It’s called “marketing”.

Peloton is the new Tae-Bo.
Old 02-23-20, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I found this video to be very good with Joe and a guy named Eddie Bravo discussing family values while getting high.
Old 05-19-20, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Joe Rogan’s Podcast Lands Exclusive Spotify Deal
https://deadline.com/2020/05/joe-rog...al-1202939007/

Old 05-20-20, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Match View Post
I don't see how that is exciting news for listeners like me who just watch the show on youtube for free.
Old 05-20-20, 06:46 AM

Received 132 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
I don't see how that is exciting news for listeners like me who just watch the show on youtube for free.
It's still free. He's just getting a better deal from Spotify. And I guess Spotify is moving into videos
Old 05-20-20, 07:49 AM

Received 121 Likes on 73 Posts

Rogan is a hard guy to get a read on. I’ve ultimately decided that he’s like the D&D alignment Chaotic Neutral. He doesn’t fit any political box, his views are way too paradoxical for that. And something that doesn’t help is what somewhat else described as “childlike wonder.” He’s willing to go all in on discussing and contemplating the possibility of the craziest of topics, and nothing is too controversial. But then the next week he may show that same wonder towards a view that is in complete conflict with what he APPEARED to be open to in a previous show. I don’t know how much of that is acting, and how much is genuine inquisitiveness.
But I’ve decided that I tend to like him more than dislike him, and it’s mostly because of the fact he’s not close-minded, he’s willing to take thought experiments to extremes. And while some of it is batshit insanity imho, it can also provide a platform to people that actually have something compelling to say. Graham Hancock is a perfect example of this. He’s the laughing stock of the archaeology world, but he has intriguing ideas, many of which have actually seen some recent vindication. And people like Rogan are the only people that give him an opportunity to share his ideas with a large audience.
I get the legitimate reason why many don’t like him, but I personally like that he seems to be one of the few people out there that’s honestly willing to listen to something that opposes his personal views with an open mind.
The following users liked this post:
Ash Ketchum (05-21-20)
Old 05-20-20, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Yup, all that.
Old 05-20-20, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32 View Post
Looks like at the end of the year, the entire podcast, including video, will only be on Spotify. I'm fine with that as long as I can watch the podcast on the Spotify app on my Roku. The only other video I remember seeing on Spotify was a Metallica series a few years back, but if I recall, it was only watchable on portable devices, which I thought was pretty dumb for a video. Hope that won't be the case this time.

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Rogan is a hard guy to get a read on. Iíve ultimately decided that heís like the D&D alignment Chaotic Neutral. He doesnít fit any political box, his views are way too paradoxical for that. And something that doesnít help is what somewhat else described as ďchildlike wonder.Ē Heís willing to go all in on discussing and contemplating the possibility of the craziest of topics, and nothing is too controversial. But then the next week he may show that same wonder towards a view that is in complete conflict with what he APPEARED to be open to in a previous show. I donít know how much of that is acting, and how much is genuine inquisitiveness.
But Iíve decided that I tend to like him more than dislike him, and itís mostly because of the fact heís not close-minded, heís willing to take thought experiments to extremes. And while some of it is batshit insanity imho, it can also provide a platform to people that actually have something compelling to say. Graham Hancock is a perfect example of this. Heís the laughing stock of the archaeology world, but he has intriguing ideas, many of which have actually seen some recent vindication. And people like Rogan are the only people that give him an opportunity to share his ideas with a large audience.
I get the legitimate reason why many donít like him, but I personally like that he seems to be one of the few people out there thatís honestly willing to listen to something that opposes his personal views with an open mind.
Joe is a complex individual, I can't get a read on him either. I'm usually not on board with his wilder theories, but he appears to quite intelligent and has genuine intellectual curiosity, and often asks his guests very good questions. I don't watch every episode, but I have seen a lot of them.
Old 05-20-20, 11:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Who would have guessed that Joe Rogan would become the most famous/richest person from NewsRadio?
Old 05-20-20, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JackoOnHisBacko View Post
Who would have guessed that Joe Rogan would become the most famous/richest person from NewsRadio?
Yeah really! But it should have been Phil.
The following 4 users liked this post by cultshock:
Fist of Doom Jr (05-20-20), JackoOnHisBacko (05-20-20), Nesbit (05-20-20), Trevor (05-20-20)
Old 05-20-20, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

...avoid talking about things I don't know much about...
If only Facebook conspiracy theorists, political podcasters & Youtubers, TV newstainment talking heads, and POTUS would adopt a similar philosophy...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.