Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dead pool 2020 edition

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...cation-brknews
Old 02-09-20, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 122 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
When these guys show up to court with walkers (and wheelchairs, oxygen tanks, neck braces, etc.) it just makes them look guilty as fuck.

And, yeah, I laughed when I saw the tennis balls, too.

Your honor, when my client was asking actresses to touch his balls, he was simply asking them to help lift his walker. This poor, feeble man can barely do that by himself; how could you believe he was sexually virulent enough to molest starlets? He needed their help to get to the casting couch ... I mean, couch, to rest.
Old 02-12-20, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Looking at this thread for the first time today, I'm surprised Alex Trebek isn't #1 or #2 on everyone's list. He's pushing 80 years old and has late diagnosed stage IV pancreatic cancer, one of the worst types of cancer to have (it's same type as what Steve Jobs had), which has a 1 year survival rate of only 25% (and, when diagnosed late as in his case, the 5 year survival rate is just 5%) so the odds of him making through this year are sadly low.

Old 02-21-20, 03:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

He was not only the president but a client

Sy Sperling, the founder of Hair Club for Men, died Wednesday after a lengthy illness in Boca Raton, Florida, said company vice president Rich Narcisi. Sperling was 78.

Sperling is best known for his TV ads in the 1980s that famously pitched his hair restoration club with the tag line, "I'm not only the Hair Club president, but I'm also a client."
That first national commercial with Sperling aired in 1982.
"Colleagues, friends, and family recall Mr. Sperling as a visionary with an immense passion for business, innovation and helping others," said a post on the company website."We continue to live by his words 'Live life to the fullest, take chances and risks, and believe in yourself.'"
His TV commercials quickly became a cultural phenomenon with over 10,000 telephone calls received by the Hair Club in the first month it aired, according to the company.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/20/us/sy...ies/index.html

Old 02-26-20, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Author and adventurer Clive Cussler died Monday at the age of 88. I don't think anyone had him on their list.

Never read any of his books, but Sahara is a guilty pleasure of mine.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/26/b...sler-dead.html
Old 02-26-20, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

^ I’ve yet to read any of his books. I started to read one of his Dirk Pitt novels but the name “Dirk Pitt” was so annoyingly stupid that I couldn’t focus on anything other than that name.
Old 02-27-20, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actor Ben Cooper passed a couple days ago

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...86/ar-BB10qxro
Old 02-27-20, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hosni Mubarak died a couple of days ago. He was on my dead pool list last year and I think the year before as well. Of course, I neglected to play this year. Bastard should have died last year.
Old 02-27-20, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Hosni Mubarak died a couple of days ago. He was on my dead pool list last year and I think the year before as well. Of course, I neglected to play this year. Bastard should have died last year.
EXACTLY the reason I don't take anyone off my list.

And sure enough, one person on my previous list that I took off now has had a reoccurence of cancer. I'm being respectful and not saying who, as they're still alive, and I want them to make a full recovery.
Old 02-29-20, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
EXACTLY the reason I don't take anyone off my list.
Oh, he would have for sure been on my list if I had submitted one this year. Honestly, I would have expected him to meet with an accident or die of an unexplained illness years ago. I'm surprised that el-Sisi let him live this long.
Old 03-09-20, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Max Von Sydow has passed away.

Looks like 3 of us had him on the list.
Old 03-09-20, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

RIP Max Von Sydow. For you youngsters, he had a very long career playing pivotal roles in movies that were accidentally terrific (like The Exorsist) and roles that played-up his freakish height and personage (like the Three-Eyed Raven in GoT). But in the entire universe of actors, there are perhaps only 4 or 5 of those whom you could truly say were always playing themselves.... in that, no matter what role MVS played, he played it exactly the same as every other role he played previously - a character being played by MVS became MVS, and yet was not diminished one iota for that. You always knew what you were getting when you watched him act... you were getting him.

That's why, in an odd way, one can point at ANY role from his vast repertoire and say, "This is what Max was best at". Because he truly was.

And that's also why I will always remember him for playing Brewmeister Smith of Castle Elsinore. Because like ALL of his roles, this was the one he was the best at.
Old 04-06-20, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...s-dies-aged-94

Honor Blackman
Old 04-07-20, 04:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ex-Detroit Tiger Al Kaline has passed away.