Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Black Friday 2019: What are you getting; what have you gotten?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Black Friday 2019: What are you getting; what have you gotten?

Old 12-02-19, 05:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Black Friday 2019: What are you getting; what have you gotten?

I did all my shopping online and now both USPS and UPS have rescheduled delivery dates on me. I even decided to use a local UPS store for their delivery thinking they would get stuff dropped earlier in the day than the usual 7 pm, or later, Ground I receive at home. Worked on the first delivery on a Saturday but the second and third schedules are both pushed back to later this week. USPS was expected today but I just checked Informed Delivery (OK, for the third time) and see it's now expected tomorrow.

First world problems I guess but wonder if they are behind this early what will it be like in a couple of weeks. OK, I guess a couple of examples doesn't show a trend.
Old 12-02-19, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 190 Likes on 131 Posts

I caved and got a Flowerpot Vrod from Newvape.

Old 12-04-19, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Old 12-04-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 87 Likes on 69 Posts

I have heard nothing about anyone being killed this year 👍
Old 12-04-19, 06:05 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I picked up two shipments from newegg.com earlier today at a UPS Access Point because I suspected they would deliver earlier in the day. I'm building a sort of "gaming" computer. Normal Ground deliveries to my house are often after 7 pm. When I went in to pick up the two boxes he tells me they "charge $5 per box for storage" I remind him one was delivered less than 30 minutes prior. One good thing about getting older is I'm not afraid of throwing a fit in a store. He ended up telling me "just this time he would wave the charge" Don't worry I'll never be back anyway. He did tell me if I rented a mailbox they wave the charges. I do see that UPS also shows a local CVS and Staples as an "access Point" so may try them in the future over one of those UPS Mailbox places.
Old 12-04-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Buttload of movies and a computer for the kids.
Old 12-04-19, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 91 Likes on 68 Posts

I ended up getting a bunch of PS4 games, a new PS4 controller, and some Blu-ray and 4K movies.

I went to Walmart on Thanksgiving night. I usually work Thanksgiving, but I was off this year and my parents wanted to go shopping. It was pretty insane. I wanted to get the 4K movies that were on sale for $7.96 and two LED HDMI cables. It was easy getting the movies I wanted, but it was hard to get out of the movie section. They should ban people having shopping carts in areas like that. People with carts that were trying to get to the movies were blocking people that had picked their movies out and were leaving.I was almost squished by people with carts multiple times. I had to wade through a mass of people to get to the HDMI cables. I finally made it out of the mob and tried to go check out, but the Walmart employees made me go back through the mob to check out. They had designated ways to enter and exit. I had asked a police officer where to go to check out and he sent me the wrong way.... I finally made it to self checkout. Each self checkout had a Walmart employee working it. I checked out and sat down on a bench while I waited on my parents to finish shopping. My Mom bought a bunch of towels that were on sale for $1.88 each. I ventured out to Target and Best Buy on Saturday morning around 10AM. There weren't many people out shopping then. I've found that Saturday's the best time to go "Black Friday" shopping
Old 12-04-19, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 153 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by rduncan View Post
I picked up two shipments from newegg.com earlier today at a UPS Access Point because I suspected they would deliver earlier in the day. I'm building a sort of "gaming" computer. Normal Ground deliveries to my house are often after 7 pm. When I went in to pick up the two boxes he tells me they "charge $5 per box for storage" I remind him one was delivered less than 30 minutes prior. One good thing about getting older is I'm not afraid of throwing a fit in a store. He ended up telling me "just this time he would wave the charge" Don't worry I'll never be back anyway. He did tell me if I rented a mailbox they wave the charges. I do see that UPS also shows a local CVS and Staples as an "access Point" so may try them in the future over one of those UPS Mailbox places.
That's nuts, Newegg doesn't discount its shipping rates if you select UPS, so why the HELL should you need to pay UPS a ridiculous "storage fee?" I'll never, ever play this game with Newegg, and will from this point on always use home delivery. Thanks for the warning, which really is a public service announcement of Newegg's collusion with UPS. I'll bet Newegg actually gets kickbacks from UPS...
Old 12-05-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 176 Likes on 131 Posts

As usual, I got some movies but this time in 4k

Got some earmuffs to replace the pair I lost. I also lost my remote for my 4k Fire Stick that I had for about a month. So, got another since it was 50% off again.
Old 12-05-19, 11:31 AM
bcd

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Got a few bottles of this for friends for Holiday Gifts!
Old 12-05-19, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 176 Likes on 131 Posts

Why 11 years? Just wait another year for a even dozen. Would that extra year make it taste bad?
Old 12-05-19, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 190 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Why 11 years? Just wait another year for a even dozen. Would that extra year make it taste bad?

Old 11-22-20, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

I'll just bump a old thread or should we start a new thread for 2020?

Besides media. No plans to go out shopping this week.

I plan on buying a heater or two and maybe 4K TV, not really high on my list
Started looking for Newer SUV/Truck just recently.

Bluetooth Mouse, Inphic Rechargeable Wireless Mouse Multi-Device Amazon $10

HP - DeskJet 2725 Wireless All-In-One Instant Ink Ready Inkjet Printer Best Buy $25

Apple Itunes $100 GC + $20 Target GC . $100 @ Target

Two Motorola Moto G7 Power - Unlocked - 32 GB + Tracfone plan . Amaozon rebate deal.
Plan to switch to Red pocket once Tracfone plans expires for everyone in the family.
Old 11-25-20, 05:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 185 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
I have heard nothing about anyone being killed this year 👍
This statement has a whole new meaning this year
Old 11-25-20, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So far:

SanDisk 128 gb SD card $20
Rogue Squadron XBoxOne $17
QNap NAS $230
Kids Scooter $50

Looking out for:

A new computer
Inflatable hot tub $200
Hard drives for the NAS
New iPhones for Verizon but they're being jerks and only giving discounts to new customers
Old 11-25-20, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts

So far I've bought:
(All from Jo-ann's)
-- Lots of cheap flannel for $2.39/yard.
-- Two crafting lamps--one floor lamp and one table lamp. for $40 and $20
-- 10 yards of fusible fleece for $42 (not on sale, but with a 50% off coupon)

Still looking for:
Slippers for my oldest son (hoping Lands End or LL Bean will have a decent sale)
Cat tree
2 Cat window perches
Various cat toys
Old 11-25-20, 06:41 PM

Nothing this year... but tanman, I'd sure like to know where I can get a (quality, fast write) 128gb USB stick for only $20.

I wouldn't accept payment to go out for BF this year. For me, it's a highly dangerous and irresponsible activity this year. Online deals seem lousy. The only moderately decent price seems to be a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB m2 NVMe drive for $249. All the best prices seemed to be *before* BF anyway. No loss.
Old 11-26-20, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Don't NEED anything new or special, therefore will not go shopping - why bother, maybe just to spend some money on something we don't need!
Old 11-26-20, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Needed a new PC for the office, so picked up a Dell OptiPlex 9020-SFF, Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHZ, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD Solid State, DVDRW, Windows 10 Pro 64bit for $250 from Amazon. That'll be it.
Old 11-26-20, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

My wife ordered a couple pairs of sneakers for our son and a shirt for me.

I usually pick up a bunch of movies on Thanksgiving and Black Friday. However, this year it looks like many of the movie sales started a few weeks ago, so I don't see much on sale today that I don't already have.
Old 11-26-20, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

Absolutely nothing and I love it! My Wife usually drags us to Wal-Mart, Target, etc for a day of shopping. With stores closed, we are at home having a nice, relaxing Thanksgiving. I want this to become our annual tradition. With online shopping what it is now, there's no need to get in the mess that has become Black Friday.
Old 11-26-20, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts

A bunch of media - online - just like every year for the past few years. I've not actually gone to stores for "Black Friday" shopping in several years and am much happier for it. If I can't get it online then I don't need it.
Old 11-27-20, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Working tonight (Thanksgiving). Tempted to drive by the stores just out of morbid curiosity to see if people are actually going to black friday shop or not. Really BF shopping as transformed. It used to be all about the deals but now a lot of that you can get online, pretty much all year long, so I know for a lot of people its more like an activity to do with friends and family. More casually. Or at least not like the mass crowds at crazy opening times. Actually one of the few "benefits" to stores opening on Thanksgiving was that all the crazies were out on Tgiving so BF proper was actually pretty chill and I could casually walk in and get the few things (non-doorbuster) that I wanted. But if there's one good thing I hope comes out of this whole pandemic I hope there's more of a focus on family and friends on Tgiving and stores stay closed.
Old 11-27-20, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Nothing this year... but tanman, I'd sure like to know where I can get a (quality, fast write) 128gb USB stick for only $20.

I wouldn't accept payment to go out for BF this year. For me, it's a highly dangerous and irresponsible activity this year. Online deals seem lousy. The only moderately decent price seems to be a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB m2 NVMe drive for $249. All the best prices seemed to be *before* BF anyway. No loss.

How fast is fast?

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...flair_usb.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...lus_128gb.html

There's a bunch of them on sale.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/searc...rch=yes&sts=ma
The following users liked this post:
zyzzle (11-27-20)
Old 11-27-20, 03:38 AM

Good prices, thanks tanman. 256gb for $29 looks great to me.
The following users liked this post:
tanman (11-27-20)

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.