Other Talk "Otterville"

Halloween 2019

Old 10-31-19, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 156 Likes on 94 Posts
Halloween 2019

I live in Maryland. Halloween in my neighborhood kicked off early tonight, and it is a LOT busier that normal. Everyone is trying to get their trick'or'treating in before the weather goes bad. It is unusually warm for this time of year (around 73F), humid and windy out right now. Forecast is for rain to start around 8pm, and there is a tornado watch.
Old 10-31-19, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

Received 506 Likes on 399 Posts
Re: Halloween 2019

Weíre dipping down into freezing temps tonight, so everyone is out doing the same. I get the candy handout duty this year. Wife is toting the kids through the neighborhood. Hereís the calm before the storm - and the kids pumpkin work. We somehow ended up with a buttload of them this year.

Old 10-31-19, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 532 Likes on 378 Posts

I am bummed ... Halloween is my favorite. Been so busy I didn’t get decorations out this year. I was going to get them out today and set up my projector and screen to run some old Universal monster movies (my daughter and I sit out in the driveway so kids don’t have to climb the steps on our porch). We hand out microwave popcorn and hot chocolate every year.

We got an inch of snow last night (after a day of rain) and it is currently 25 degrees out. High today was 32. I didn’t even go pick up the popcorn and hot chocolate to hand out.

Tomorrow it will get up to 50, but did our village postpone trick or treating like most around here? Hell no.

Worst ... Halloween ... ever ...

Last edited by Abob Teff; 11-01-19 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-01-19, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 372 Likes on 273 Posts

That sucks man sorry.

I would have easily taken some of that cold off of your hands. It was 85 here and so humid. Had a super busy one this year. 7 yo dressed as Unikitty and the baby went as Donald. Had to finish her diorama of the Tundra (Thanks teach for making due the day after Halloween) carve a pumpkin, did Pikachu and I think a pretty good job considering I did it in about 20 mins. Take pictures, To'T, go back home pass out candy for a bit then go to work.
Old 11-01-19, 07:35 AM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
I am bummed ... Halloween is my favorite. Been so busy I didnít get decorations out this year. I was going to get them out today and set up my projector and screen to run some old Universal monster movies (my daughter and I sit out in the driveway so kids donít have to climb the steps on our porch). We hand out microwave popcorn and hot chocolate every year.

We got an inch of snow last night (after a day of rain) and it is currently 25 degrees out. High today was 32. I didnít even go pick up the popcorn and not chocolate to hand out.

Tomorrow it will get up to 50, but did our village postpone trick or treating like most around here? Hell no.

Worst ... Halloween ... ever ...
Similar weather in Indy - cold with rain all day and then light snow .
Spoiler:

global warming
Old 11-01-19, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 156 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin Phillips View Post
I live in Maryland. Halloween in my neighborhood kicked off early tonight, and it is a LOT busier that normal. Everyone is trying to get their trick'or'treating in before the weather goes bad. It is unusually warm for this time of year (around 73F), humid and windy out right now. Forecast is for rain to start around 8pm, and there is a tornado watch.
Had lots of kids stop at the house, mostly between 6:30 and 7pm. A few stragglers, mostly young teens, after 7pm. As expected, by 8pm, the wind really started picking up, and we had high winds and lots of rain overnight. Surveying the damage this morning, some of the Halloween decorations got blown down. We had a set of those cheap Styrofoam gravestones, and one is missing. I'm surprised we didn't lose all of them considering how strong the winds were and lightweight the decorations are. I am never getting that cotton fake spiderweb again because it is impossible to clean it all off the trees and shrubs.
Old 11-01-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,125 Likes on 761 Posts

Lots of trick or treaters in my neighborhood this year. Weíve been here 5 years and this seemed like the busiest year so far. It was cold, temps dropped to low 30s by the time trick or treating started but there were lots of people out, a lot of houses decorated, even a garage-turned-haunted house. I took the kids out for about an hour and a half and then back to let them calm down before bed.

It was cold but I guess kids in my hood arenít pussies.
Old 11-01-19, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 339 Likes on 246 Posts

Tons of kids for us last night. I really enjoy Halloween now that we have a house. I get to be the "cool house" that gives out the good shit. I had a mix that was nothing but PB Cups and Kit Kat and was giving out as many as I could grab to each kid. Had to amount to more than a full candy bar each.

One kid mentioned that he loved Kit Kat and asked if he could have one; I picked out 8-10 and dumped them all in his bag. The look on his face was priceless. Went through at least 500 pieces all together.
Old 11-01-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 184 Likes on 134 Posts

Zero kids at my house. ZERO!

Damn church "trunk or treating" and destination neighborhoods have killed trick-or-treating in my area.

It really sucks.
Old 11-01-19, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

It was cold and rainy in my area, so we didn't have anywhere near the numbers as past years. We have many bags of leftover candy. It was a big dud, which is a shame because I enjoy seeing all of the different costumes. I've never been very creative about it myself, so I really appreciate those that go all out with their costumes.
Old 11-01-19, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

We had a bunch of kids, but by about 8 they were thinning out and I was tired of it. So the last two kids got the candy poured into their buckets (they were pretty thrilled) and I made it through Halloween without eating a single piece of candy! (A Halloween miracle right there).
Old 11-01-19, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 410 Posts

When I got this house, I bought bags of candy and looked forward to Halloween. After a few years, I realized that I was having to eat almost all of the candy myself. The last straw was the year I got about two trick or treaters. So I quit buying candy and I turn off the outside lights.

A friend of mine showed me her outfit for a Saturday night Halloween party. She wore a dangerously short schoolgirl skirt and a blouse that displayed lots of breast. Looking at it made me happy.
Old 11-01-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 504 Likes on 353 Posts

It was cold and it had snowed the day before, so I figured it would be slow.

This morning checked out the 50% candy sales and there were still a shit-ton.
Old 11-01-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 483 Likes on 347 Posts

I wasn't home but the Montreal mayor tried to postpone Halloween because of bad weather. It didn't work:

Trick-or-treaters ignore Montreal mayor's call to delay the candy haul

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/trick-...haul-1.4665581
Old 11-01-19, 12:39 PM

Received 680 Likes on 407 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
Zero kids at my house. ZERO!

Damn church "trunk or treating" and destination neighborhoods have killed trick-or-treating in my area.

It really sucks.
If they're doing it on Halloween, I agree, that's absurd. We held our over the weekend.

The kids and I drove around the nieghborhood to adult friends' homes for candy and to say hi, came home for a pizza break with my spouse, then walked our block and the next block. The kids could've got a lot more if they'd listened to me and we'd just done the street two blocks over, where every porch light was on and most houses went all out on decorations. But they wanted to go to their school friends' houses on our two blocks. They couldn't comprehend that their friends wouldn't be home. They're young, oh well.

Our block has younger families on our side of the street, older folks on the other, and they don't give out candy. We're also on an L-intersection so it's a quiet block. All that adds up to fewer trick-or-treaters at our home. Bummed, but that's fine. At the end of the night, past 8:00pm, we got one more pair of tweens and my spouse held out the bowl and said, "Take as much as you want." These two boys took four or five fistfuls apiece, their faces filled with delight. You've gotta love that.
Old 11-01-19, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

We had friends and friends of our kids over for pizza before trick or treating last night. We ended up going about 2 miles through the neighborhood with our group of 11 kids and 10 adults. kids trick or treating while the adults waited on the sidewalk and drank beer/wine. A good time was had by all.
Old 11-01-19, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 184 Likes on 103 Posts

My son, 13, was caught on a neighbor's Ring camera dumping a bowl of candy left on a porch in his and his friend's bag. The video was pretty funny to watch, but I still need to discipline him somehow for being such a dip shit. (Hello, we own a doorbell camera, too. He should've looked first!)
Old 11-01-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 240 Likes on 169 Posts

I usually have a TON of trick or treaters, and this year was no different.

I haven't been home Holloween night for a few years, and I thought I wouldn't be this year as well, but when I realized I would be, I stopped at Target to buy some candy - I bought extra TWO bags of 150 pieces of candy - one chocolate-based candy (Snickers, Reese, etc), and one sugar-based candy (gummies, nerds, etc).

So with 300 pieces of candy, of which I handed out one per kid... I fucking RAN OUT at 7:15, and had to turn out my lights! (which was about time, as I needed to hit the bathroom, and for 2 hours it was a steady stream of people at the door) So that was 300 trick or treaters at least, because I'm sure there would've been plenty more after 7:15 - that's insane!

I guess I live in the perfect neighborhood for it - flat, houses close together, no hills, no stairs/steps, well lit, lots of parking, no real traffic, away from major streets, and so on. So we get a lot of non-locals come to our neighborhood. And I knew it'd be a lot, it always is, I just didn't know it would be so many.

BTW, there were a handful of adult/parents with no costumes trick/treating as well, which I found to be pretty fucking weird. Just buy some candy, you mooch!
Old 11-01-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Rain and heavy winds all evening. Driving back from the grocery store at 7pm, didn't see a single kid on the street. Then at 9 o'clock in the middle of watching a horror movie, the power went out in the whole area. Power was off until 1 in the morning.

Yeah, pretty much a throw away Halloween.
Old 11-01-19, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 532 Likes on 378 Posts

My little “caged” jack-o-lanterns ...
Old 11-01-19, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So a couple nurses in a hospital in the area made costumes for some of the NICU babies.

I don't know if this link will work. (Facebook is so annoying sometimes)

WTF why is it hiding the link? I can't even remove the hyperlink.

Well here's one picture I had to upload.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...f981ebd78b.jpg

Last edited by tanman; 11-01-19 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-02-19, 12:27 AM
Suspended

Location: Indianapolis, IN. Welcome back my friends to the show that never ends. We're so glad you could attend. Come inside! Come inside!
Received 551 Likes on 380 Posts

This is from last year but an example of "humorous" Halloween decorating:

Old 11-02-19, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Iíve had probably 3 trick or treaters come to my house in the 20 years Iíve lived in this location
Of course I keep the lights off. Plus the city park is close by and they do a big thing there which the kids seem to love. Plus it was unusually cold for Halloween.
Old 11-03-19, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 119 Likes on 86 Posts

This has been a brutal Halloween for 2019. First in the East a horrible storm killed 2 people. Holy shit the trees swinging back and forth I thought I was experiencing a tornado! On on top of that they were playing Dracula on TV and it all felt too creepy.

I still can't believe there are sick fucks out there that put blades inside candies as well as poison for trick or treating. What sick fucks we have on this planet.
Old 11-03-19, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does that really still happen? I remember a big scare in the 80's and hospitals were letting kids xray their candies to make sure they were safe or something like that. I thought it was mainly all made up. A few years ago the local news reported on a lady that said her candy had a piece of metal in it but it later came out she made it up.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.