Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Vintage WWII B-17 crashes

Old 10-03-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Vintage WWII B-17 crashes

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...cut/index.html

I’ve actually been on that very plane on a number of occasions. It visits our city once a year. Never flew in it. My wife used to encourage me to take a ride. “You’re so interested in old planes you should go.” And I always said I have a wife and two children. I’m not crazy enough to go for a ride in a 70 year old war machine.

But you could stand in line and walk through the interior which was always fun. Years ago I used to work near the airport and I knew the planes were arriving on a certain Wednesday. I took off for lunch and the planes had just arrived. I was the only person there and I got to spend some time in it all alone. Not being hurried through due to long lines was great.
Old 10-03-19, 12:20 PM
Admin-Thanos

Re: Vintage WWII B-17 crashes

It sucks that people died. It also sucks that another piece of history is lost.
Old 10-03-19, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

• This was not the plane's first crash: In August 1987, the B-17 crashed during an air show in western Pennsylvania, causing injuries but no fatalities.
Not sure which way to go with this ...

If at first you don’t succeed?

OR

Old 10-03-19, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The plane has (had) an interesting history. It was never used in combat. Like most extant examples of WWII planes it was built at the very end of the war and never deployed. It was eventually converted to be remote piloted like a drone and it was flown through atomic bomb test areas to examine the effects of radiation on flight controls. After a couple of those it was allowed to “cool down” for many years. Eventually she was brought into private hands and restored.
Old 10-03-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Should have stayed on the ground. Trying to fly such an old aircraft and not expecting issues is plane stupidity.
Old 10-03-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yes, a sad spectacle, but it was very, very foolish to fly a 75-year-old plane and not expect problems. Perhaps they did, but I doubt the 10 passegers thought much about the very questionable safety aspect. They were all jazzed up at the 'historical significance', they forgot the warning signals that should have been going off in normal peoples' minds.
Old 10-03-19, 03:48 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Should have stayed on the ground. Trying to fly such an old aircraft and not expecting issues is plane stupidity.
That almost flew over my head, but I think you landed your joke with me.
Old 10-04-19, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We have a (one of the only two, airworthy) Lancaster bomber that flies over my place, or close to it, twice a week. It is so cool to watch, and sounds amazing.

They have a very strict maintenance schedule. Of course, there is risk with any vintage aircraft, but there is also risk with current aircraft.

I would absolutely go on a flight on the Lancaster, if it wasn't for the $3600 price tag.

My former neighbour was a rear gunner on Lancaster and Halifax bombers. He passed away, at 96, the week before I took this pic. RIP Bucky!

This is the picture from a few weeks ago:

Old 10-04-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That’s awesome. And yes the sound. As these planes disappear we lose that sound. The sound that many in England would have heard as the planes departed, and then listened for to return. The sound also that millions in the crosshairs would have heard before horrible devastation.

Again, that very plane that crashed this week once flew over my house. It was in formation with two vintage fighters. The sound of those engines in concert with one another was amazing. Imagine that multiplied by tens or hundreds. It must have been daunting, beautiful, and horrifying.
Old 10-04-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nostalgia wanking and all aside...people died.
Old 10-04-19, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Bradley airport is practically in my back yard and it turns out I even knew one of the guys that died. Used to work with him and hadn't seen him in probably 15 years, but he was a friend of a friend, so that sucks.

As far as flying a 75 year old aircraft being foolish, I guess, but this plane's primary function was to more or less fly around the country constantly. And it's not like it hadn't had a tune up in 75 years. The real negligence, if there was in fact any, was in the fact that they were having engine trouble pre-takeoff and still went ahead with the flight. My understanding is that the plane barely even got off the ground before crashing.
Old 10-05-19, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
That almost flew over my head, but I think you landed your joke with me.
I pitched my chair over, and rolled on the floor yaw-yawing.

Old 10-06-19, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
We would have taken a ride a B-17, named Aluminum Overcast, but the tickets were hundreds of dollars each for a thirty minute ride. We later took a ride in a Ford Trimotor from the 1920s. Like the B-17 that crashed, these planes fly every week.