Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Dilemma: Thief at the Workplace Puts all Jobs at Risk... What Would You Do ?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Dilemma: Thief at the Workplace Puts all Jobs at Risk... What Would You Do ?

Old 10-01-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts
Re: Dilemma: Thief at the Workplace Puts all Jobs at Risk... What Would You Do ?

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Why stop there? Take it up the chain to the board of trustees!
By golly, he should!
Old 10-01-19, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 573 Likes on 445 Posts
Re: Dilemma: Thief at the Workplace Puts all Jobs at Risk... What Would You Do ?

Mods, can we be sure to merge this with the eventual thread "I was fired from my last job for thefts I wasn't guilty of, should I mention it at job interviews?"
Old 10-01-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
I appreciate all the feedback, but I think this is the only solution. I know if I was to report him it would be the type of situation where it would be my word against his & know for a fact my co-workers would never get involved whether they are aware or not. I am also sure I'd be sided against.
All of you deserve to be fired.
Old 10-01-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 547 Likes on 340 Posts

OP: Every time I use a hammer I hit my thumb. What can be done?

Answer: Wear gloves
Answer: Keep hitting your thumb

OP: Well looks like keep hitting my thumb is my best option but I really appreciate everyone's input!
Old 10-01-19, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't know how or why you guys are turning this around on me. I have almost 10 years on the job, top seniority on my crew & just one under me on day shift. My record is clean & I've never stolen a thing. This is a Civil Service job, firing the entire crew based on suspicion with no proof would never happen.
I'm not protecting him, I'm protecting myself. I'd be taking a huge chance reporting him being that he's very well liked & trusted, not that I'm not but I keep to myself & it would be my word against his. I know I said I don't believe in throwing a co-worker under the bus but he's ruining our reputations & his actions are extremely selfish. You guys are right though. I came here for advice & if everyone believes I should report him then I have to decide to who. My boss, the Head Custodian is out. The two of them are very tight & I'm not one of the "favorites". I suppose it would be between the Principal or Director of Facilities.
You're only protecting him by staying silent. And when he gets caught it will STILL be his word against yours only you (and the truth) won't be looking so good after it's found out that you kept silent and allowed his felonies to continue, will you? Guarantee you that you will regret protecting this POS once the heat is on! How do you see this playing out with your plan? Do you really think he's just going to accept being caught and not do anything/everything to save his skin by deflecting and blaming someone else?

Regardless of what you end up doing, please provide further updates to the thread on how things play out. You may end up having more spare time on your hands than you planned for.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 10-01-19 at 03:40 PM.
Old 10-01-19, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 472 Likes on 378 Posts

Alright, let's turn a different tack. Surreptitiously find out / obtain his Ebay name, give it to us, and let the power of Otter take over. We'll have him in jail faster than you can say: douchbag asshole.

Seriously, the risk associated with turning him in is very low compared with your remaining complicit and doing nothing. This guy is just as bad as a teacher having sex with his or her students. He's in a civil service job, a position of trust, and is flagrantly and willfully abusing that power. Don't they run background checks / psych profiles on janitors these days? What other shady shit is he up to that you don't even know about? He's giving you and your crew a terrible reputation. You'll all be looked upon with suspicion, even if he's turned in. So, in a way, your job has already been irrevocably sullied. Believe me, teachers and school types once wronged, are a hard lot to forgive and forget (reference to my point about a civil service job and honesty).

This is a rare case of total agreement on this... Do the right thing and find someone -- from HR, the superintendent, an obusman, *anybody* in a position of power to get his ass canned and serving jail time.
Old 10-01-19, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 250 Likes on 147 Posts

If you don’t feel you can go to your boss, then anonymously report the guy to your boss’s boss and maybe explain why you jumped a step in the chain. That’s what I’d do, at least. Might even get both of them fired, leading to a promotion!
Old 10-01-19, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Well. If we are done here, I’m taking my pants back off and heading to the nurse’s office.
Old 10-01-19, 10:06 PM
Admin

Received 345 Likes on 221 Posts

It's hard doing the right thing. That's why there is so much corruption in the world. The right thing would be to report the thief obviously. Every times he steals something, it reflects on the OP. The workers there think all the custodians are dirty at this point.
Old 10-01-19, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Kinda frustrated that even with all of the well-explained good advice dispensed, the OP has apparently decided that doing nothing and waiting for the eventual shit-show of your boss's arrest with no "CYA" is the only option worth considering.
Yep, a very frustrating response. Habitual criminals do not give one shit about your well-being, family, job, career, etc. If you don't act fast, you could find yourself in very deep trouble.
Old 10-02-19, 12:28 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

Maybe someone already said this, but could you request a transfer to a different custodial crew at a different school?
Old 10-02-19, 01:01 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 316 Likes on 194 Posts

Kill him.
Old 10-02-19, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandoman View Post
Kill him.
We all heard the wise words of the attorney.
Old 10-02-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,242 Likes on 891 Posts

JZ1276's in a really bad place.

And I agree with Mabuse (gah!) that it might be time to look for a new job.

If the thief and the supervisor are chummy, then it puts everyone else in a really difficult position. From my experiences, when there's a situation where a boss plays favorites like that, the boss also has a shitlist. And the boss is going to go the mat for his friends and throw the people on his shitlist under the bus.

A lot of this depends on your work environment, but going over the supervisor's head might be a bad move. Most workplaces have a chain of command, and it's expected to be followed (either formally or informally), so going directly to the principal might cause its own set of problems. Again, a lot of it depends on the kind of enviroment that has been cultivated in your workplace. The principal might be a fair-minded person who will deal with the thief. Or he might be a dick who runs to your supervisor and tells him what an asshole your are for coming directly to him with these accusations against another employee. And if the thief does get fired, then you're still going to be working with the supervisor whose best friend you just got fired.

But if this whole situation ends badly, the OP might find himself in a situation where he gets fired, and the school won't give him a good reference, which will make it difficult to find new employment.

On paper, reporting the thief seems like the right thing to do, but you're also dealing with people who are kinds of their own little hills and have their lists of friends and enemies, and it becomes a minefield to navigate.
Old 10-02-19, 05:09 PM

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I appreciate all the feedback, but I think this is the only solution. .
No, looking the other way is definitely NOT the only solution--in fact, it is the worst option of all. But it is the easiest, and requires the least courage.

The correct solution: Leave a camera hidden in the kitchen area, until it captures your co-worker stealing something. Then mail the footage ANONYMOUSLY to the principal. They will never know who videotaped him. You therefore cannot be harmed by any retribution. And the correct person will be clearly identified on video as the thief, and removed. This also completely solves the "boss's favorite" problem.

Yes, you DO need to take this proactive action, because it is the right thing to do. You do have a moral obligation to do this, because you have knowledge of the thieving, and innocent people are getting hurt. This solution protects you, while still doing the right thing. There is no excuse for anything less.

Last edited by Movie Watcher; 10-02-19 at 05:41 PM.
Old 10-02-19, 06:08 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

You don’t need a new job, just a transfer. Ask to work at a different school. There must be more schools in the district. Make up some excuse. “I need a change of scenery.”
Old 10-02-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 472 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
JZ1276's in a really bad place.

And I agree with Mabuse (gah!) that it might be time to look for a new job.

If the thief and the supervisor are chummy, then it puts everyone else in a really difficult position. From my experiences, when there's a situation where a boss plays favorites like that, the boss also has a shitlist. And the boss is going to go the mat for his friends and throw the people on his shitlist under the bus.

A lot of this depends on your work environment, but going over the supervisor's head might be a bad move. Most workplaces have a chain of command, and it's expected to be followed (either formally or informally), so going directly to the principal might cause its own set of problems. Again, a lot of it depends on the kind of enviroment that has been cultivated in your workplace. The principal might be a fair-minded person who will deal with the thief. Or he might be a dick who runs to your supervisor and tells him what an asshole your are for coming directly to him with these accusations against another employee. And if the thief does get fired, then you're still going to be working with the supervisor whose best friend you just got fired.

But if this whole situation ends badly, the OP might find himself in a situation where he gets fired, and the school won't give him a good reference, which will make it difficult to find new employment.

On paper, reporting the thief seems like the right thing to do, but you're also dealing with people who are kinds of their own little hills and have their lists of friends and enemies, and it becomes a minefield to navigate.
I agree with you, *if* the OP openly identifies himself as the person reporting the thefts. But, if he tries to keep things anonymous, his chances of being "reverse" ratted by his boss are probably lower, since the whole idea is to keep the whistleblowing as anonymous as possible. This probably won't end well, but perhaps the chances are better at getting the ball rolling in the process of getting that asshole fired without naming names. It's the OPs job now to get the ball in someone else's court (a teacher(s) installing webcams in their classrooms, the principal, the superintentent, etc). If that still doesn't work, or there's obvious graft between the higher-ups, the it's time to look for a new job or transfer.
Old 10-02-19, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I put in for a transfer today. This should be my last week here. By Monday I'll be working in one of the other buildings from now on
Old 10-02-19, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 663 Likes on 454 Posts

I was hoping my achille's-slashing plan would work.

Or Bando's far more crude, simplistic kill plan.

Nonetheless, at least the problem is solved for you.
Old 10-02-19, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 611 Likes on 442 Posts

I put in for a transfer today. This should be my last week here. By Monday I'll be working in one of the other buildings from now on
Awesome. Hope things work out better. But we still need to get the asshat nabbed.

I can see it now: the thief stops stealing the day you leave and tells everyone "See, the stealing stopped right after [JZ] left."
Old 10-02-19, 10:24 PM

Received 899 Likes on 521 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Maybe someone already said this, but could you request a transfer to a different custodial crew at a different school?
Wait, Mabuse won?!
Old 10-02-19, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Awesome. Hope things work out better. But we still need to get the asshat nabbed.

I can see it now: the thief stops stealing the day you leave and tells everyone "See, the stealing stopped right after [JZ] left."
If the thief is smart he'd do just that and let the heat die down for a while until he can start blaming the inevitable new guy on the crew.
Old 10-02-19, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
We all heard the wise words of the attorney.
Hes just trying to drum up some business.
Old 10-02-19, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 10-02-19, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

I could t read that giant block of letters.
I'm sorry.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.