Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Dilemma: Thief at the Workplace Puts all Jobs at Risk... What Would You Do ?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Dilemma: Thief at the Workplace Puts all Jobs at Risk... What Would You Do ?

Old 09-30-19, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Dilemma: Thief at the Workplace Puts all Jobs at Risk... What Would You Do ?

Since you refuse to do what's right, you now have two options: find employment elsewhere, or wait 'til he gets caught and tries to shift as much blame as he can onto you. The fact that your relationship soured and the other janitors are willing to give him rides means you're the first one he'll point to to save himself.

You're protecting a piece of shit, and putting yourself at risk. I don't want to sound like too much of an asshole, but you deserve whatever happens from here on out.
Old 09-30-19, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts
Re: Dilemma: Thief at the Workplace Puts all Jobs at Risk... What Would You Do ?

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Actually, I think custodian sounds better than janitor, the latter makes me think of clogged up toilets. What term would you suggest be used?
Rat ... as in he needs to be a rat.

OR

The Artist Formerly Known As A Custodian
Old 09-30-19, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 521 Likes on 245 Posts

I am sure that the first job interview you have after the entire crew is shitcanned will go just great, especially when you tell them what a team player you are.
Old 09-30-19, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 647 Likes on 503 Posts

Isn't the OP the one who posted a thread about his co-worker taking naps during his shift in his underwear or some shit months ago?
Old 09-30-19, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Hi, you must be new here. Welcome to the DVD Talk advice column, where people ask for advice and then don't take the advice offered!
Originally Posted by William Fuld View Post
Look the other way.
This is the advice I am choosing to take. I'm not ignoring anyone's advice and have already stated I appreciate all the feedback.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Excuse me, but is "custodian" the politically correct term being used these days for janitors? I don't think I've ever come across anyone using custodian before.
Custodian/Janitor; it's all the same to me. Some of them actually get offended if they are referred to as janitors lol.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Isn't the OP the one who posted a thread about his co-worker taking naps during his shift in his underwear or some shit months ago?
YES! That was last summer lol. Guy was taking a nap in his underwear in the Nurse's office! That was over a year ago & you remember that ?!

Old 10-01-19, 12:14 AM

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad I could be of help!
Old 10-01-19, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Real tight ship you guys are running. At this point, perhaps a house cleaning wouldn't be the worst outcome.
Old 10-01-19, 02:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I say ignore it. You all are going to get fired for this. It’s inevitable. So in the mean time steal as much as you can. Don’t forget the copper wire.
Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Real tight ship you guys are running. At this point, perhaps a house cleaning wouldn't be the worst outcome.
Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I am sure that the first job interview you have after the entire crew is shitcanned will go just great, especially when you tell them what a team player you are.
Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
Since you refuse to do what's right, you now have two options: find employment elsewhere, or wait 'til he gets caught and tries to shift as much blame as he can onto you. The fact that your relationship soured and the other janitors are willing to give him rides means you're the first one he'll point to to save himself.
You're protecting a piece of shit, and putting yourself at risk. I don't want to sound like too much of an asshole, but you deserve whatever happens from here on out.
I don't know how or why you guys are turning this around on me. I have almost 10 years on the job, top seniority on my crew & just one under me on day shift. My record is clean & I've never stolen a thing. This is a Civil Service job, firing the entire crew based on suspicion with no proof would never happen.
I'm not protecting him, I'm protecting myself. I'd be taking a huge chance reporting him being that he's very well liked & trusted, not that I'm not but I keep to myself & it would be my word against his. I know I said I don't believe in throwing a co-worker under the bus but he's ruining our reputations & his actions are extremely selfish. You guys are right though. I came here for advice & if everyone believes I should report him then I have to decide to who. My boss, the Head Custodian is out. The two of them are very tight & I'm not one of the "favorites". I suppose it would be between the Principal or Director of Facilities.
Old 10-01-19, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

So WHEN he gets caught, he will either blame you or let everyone know that you knew and/or possibly helped. You will lose that 10 year civil service job and possibly face criminal charges. Good thinking of doing nothing, good thing EVERYONE in this thread beside Fuld told you to do the exact opposite. Let us know how Rykers really is outside of movies/tv shows.
Old 10-01-19, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

I would be cautious about trying to catch him with spy cams or video recording. While videotaping on public property is legal most of the time there are some exceptions. Public schools are often an exceptions and you would want to be 100% sure of the laws before doing anything like that. If your supervisor promoted him over you and everyone else who had more experience and seniority, I would not trust going to him either. I would go to the principle or to someone on the school board of the district.
Old 10-01-19, 08:40 AM

Received 2,592 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Is this the same co-worker who was caught napping with their pants off in the nurse's office????

What fucking school is this? Wow.
Old 10-01-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

If this was some retail job than looking the other way would be stupid but acceptable. This being an elementary school makes you just as much of a scum bag as the person stealing. The thief has no morals you by asking this question show you have morals you are just too chicken shit to follow them.
Old 10-01-19, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I would suggest looking up your state's laws on failure to report felony theft. In many states you could be facing prison time.
Old 10-01-19, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Is this the same co-worker who was caught napping with their pants off in the nurse's office????

What fucking school is this? Wow.
I don't know but it sounds like a Danny McBride show waiting to happen...

As for the OP you have everything to lose by not talking to your boss's boss. You approached the co worker confronted him and he is still stealing. It sounds like its up to a capital crime as its over 1K or whatever the threshold might be. He is not only stealing from the school he is robbing the taxpaying people that pay your salary and taking food away from the kids. That might be normal in the mcTrump administration but its not in my world. You are now as complicit as anyone in the current administration supporting trump and look at where a lot of his cabinet members are now or are headed. Get ahead of it be a whistle blower - do it anonymously if you want have a frined call from a payphone and tell the boss's boss if you are worried about blow-back but you really need to do something.
Old 10-01-19, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
I'm not protecting him, I'm protecting myself.
Simply ignoring it is not protecting yourself. You better have a plan for when it comes to light that you knew about it and didn't do a thing. 10 years on the job without an incident doesn't protect you.

Old 10-01-19, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 545 Likes on 339 Posts

I don't know how or why you guys are turning this around on me.
Because, by ignoring it, you are just allowing it continue and you are going to just get yourself into more trouble both legally and financially.

Old 10-01-19, 10:56 AM

I came here for advice & if everyone believes I should report him then I have to decide to who. My boss, the Head Custodian is out. The two of them are very tight & I'm not one of the "favorites". I suppose it would be between the Principal or Director of Facilities.
I would go to the principal as they are removed from the whole facilities/custodial chain. And I would do it anonymously.
Old 10-01-19, 11:02 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
I would go to the principal as they are removed from the whole facilities/custodial chain. And I would do it anonymously.
100% this. All you have to do is say you, an anonymous person, were driving by and saw someone loading large garbage bags from the school into a car with license plate XYZ-123, and thought it looked suspicious.
Old 10-01-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
100% this. All you have to do is say you, an anonymous person, were driving by and saw someone loading large garbage bags from the school into a car with license plate XYZ-123, and thought it looked suspicious.
And suppose the Principal is getting a take from all this property theft.

The person you want to talk is the school district superintendent.
Old 10-01-19, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
And suppose some people say cucumbers taste better pickled.

Last edited by dex14; 10-01-19 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-01-19, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

Received 299 Likes on 209 Posts

Is there not some Human Resources or Security contact in the school system? That's where this should be reported.

Last edited by The Cow; 10-01-19 at 02:59 PM.
Old 10-01-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 45 Likes on 30 Posts

If only there were an entity that you could report crimes to that wasn't associated with your employer. It would have to be an independent agency that investigates and prosecutes criminals. One that both protects and serves...
Old 10-01-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

If your job is Civil Service, there should be a whistle blower program that would protect you and keep you anonymous.
Old 10-01-19, 12:31 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

The person you want to talk is the school district superintendent.
Why stop there? Take it up the chain to the board of trustees!
Old 10-01-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 150 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by quatermass View Post
if only there were an entity that you could report crimes to that wasn't associated with your employer. It would have to be an independent agency that investigates and prosecutes criminals. One that both protects and serves...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.