Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Dilemma: Thief at the Workplace Puts all Jobs at Risk... What Would You Do ?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Dilemma: Thief at the Workplace Puts all Jobs at Risk... What Would You Do ?

Old 09-29-19, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts
Re: Dilemma: Thief at the Workplace Puts all Jobs at Risk... What Would You Do ?

Originally Posted by JZ1276 View Post
As I also mentioned earlier, this person is one of the boss' "favorites", and I am not, so even if I decided to drop a dime I feel like it would be my word against his and I'd be sided against. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!
How do you really know the boss likes him? What if it's an act on the boss part just because that worker makes his life easier?

You can like someone one day and hate him the next. There could be no real bond there bruh
Old 09-29-19, 10:27 PM

Received 903 Likes on 524 Posts
Re: Dilemma: Thief at the Workplace Puts all Jobs at Risk... What Would You Do ?

You've got to tell what you know. It will only get worse for you if you don't. Good luck.

Last edited by story; 09-29-19 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Can I hijack the thread? I have been solicited to murder someone for money, just wanted to see what y'all think?
Uh .... who is the target? [Looks around nervously]
Old 09-30-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Received 664 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Uh .... who is the target? [Looks around nervously]
Here, lean in a little closer and I'll tell ya!
Old 09-30-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 172 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Keep your job. Be the whistleblower. Put an anonymous note, with enough pertinent facts, dates, and times, and items mentioned that the pricipal will know that it's not a hoax. Why you are protecting your asshole coworker is beyond my comprehension. In the end, you will be better off for having reported him. Do it soon. Your taxdollars and salary are at risk!
This
/thread
Old 09-30-19, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does scanning in/out unlock a door allowing you to enter/exit the building? If so, I would think there would be a log of this guy perpetually leaving the building to take stuff to his car and to corroborate your trash bag story.
Old 09-30-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 574 Likes on 446 Posts

Everyone here has pretty much covered it, but I ask the OP this: If the bosses were to call in the thief to his office and say, "Hey, there's been some thefts here, and we're hearing that JZ1276 is responsible. Know anything about it?", what do you think he'd say?

That should direct you to your course of action.
Old 09-30-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 814 Likes on 548 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. Mantle View Post
Why? This guy doesn't give a shit about your job, so why are you protecting his? And he gives even less of a shit about the students and teachers he's stealing from. Do you think he ever went through a kid's locker and stole from an actual child? You did say elementary school. (Maybe they don't have lockers, but they must have personal stuff stored somewhere.)

This term "rat" is kind of pathetic and disgusting. Why is there a rodent insult (or any insult at all) associated with people who go to the authorities about crimes being committed?

The fucking bullshit "blue wall of silence" is the reason crooked cops get away with so much. The other cops don't want to "rat" on one of their own. They'd rather protect a criminal than do their job.

I don't know what your specific job requirements are, but I'm betting "don't look the other way on crime" is part of it.

But hey, if none of that convinces you, maybe this will: This guy will throw you under the bus in a second. WHEN they catch him, they'll probably offer a lighter sentence if he tells who else was involved. He already TRIED to involve you. OR, they might get him on video stealing, and you watching him steal and doing nothing.

This x1000
Old 09-30-19, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
I'd consider hiding somewhere and grabbing a video of him taking stuff to his car. Then keep it on hand, in the event that this comes out.

Of course, that will still leave you on the hook for not reporting the thief, but as he's a thief, I wouldn't be at all surprised if he would try to blame the thefts on someone else, including you.

Fuck, I hate thieves. This guy sounds like a piece of work.
AFAIK, the majority of items being stolen are from the kitchen, which is located in his section. He is liked by all staff, teachers & especially the boss, as I stated earlier, & this worries me as far as reporting him. As I said in my original post, I don't know if I could bring myself to "rat" on a fellow co-worker.
As far as secretly taking video; I have a job to do. Following him around recording video trying to catch him in the act would suck up a lot of my time, and it would be impossible for him not to catch me doing this.

Originally Posted by OldDude View Post
You tried talking to him. I'd rat his ass out with video proof. The school's solution could be to fire you all and start over or subcontract to 3rd party.
Throw your hat in ring for lead position.
I have tried talking to him, yes. I told him awhile back he steals too much & there's no way it will go unnoticed. I also told him it's even more obvious that it's all being taken from his own section. He shrugged it off. As far as going for lead position, I don't want it. This is why my co-workers & myself didn't put up a fuss when it was given to him after he was just made full time and we all had years seniority on him. The extra responsibilities & work outweighs the small stipend that goes along with being Night Lead.

*Quick example of how much he is liked by our boss. When a position opens for any of the schools in the district, especially the Night Lead position, a posting goes up in all 6 schools so any Custodians who are interested could apply. This entire procedure was bypassed & my boss 'pulled strings' to get him the job.

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
If the teachers are suspicious, they're probably setting up a hidden cam. I know I would. This guy will eventually get caught. Are other custodians aware of his activity? He might bring everyone down with him. You have to figure out a way to CYA without ratting him out.
I was speaking with one of my co-workers from the day shift that mentioned there have been a lot of complaints recently of things missing. Besides the ridiculous amount of food from the kitchen refrigerators/freezers & pantry, I was told $100 went missing from one of the teachers desks. This teachers' classroom is not located in the thieves' section but in my co-worker's section who I've worked with for 8 years & is an honest guy who I am 99% sure would NEVER steal. The suspicion is probably on this guy now, which is not fair.

Originally Posted by Jon2 View Post
Has he been in your vehicle or home? Have a locker at work? He could have left something incriminating... a receipt, slip of paper torn from something he stole, or something small stolen from a teacher/student. Anything, anywhere..
He has been in my car many times. He's been in my house a few times. I used to consider him a friend but the relationship has soured over the past month or so. Like I said, he got the Night Supervisor position over the 4 of us who all had years of seniority at the time, and the ego has gotten out of control so I started keeping my distance. He'd call me every day for a ride to work. He lives 6 miles away & I live 30 seconds walking distance from the building. I made up a story and told him I'm letting a family member use my car while I was working so he'd stop asking. Now he has 2 other co-workers taking turns picking him up. He's never once offered gas money or to buy us lunch, ever.

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
It takes 5 people 8 hours to clean one elementary school?

900 students, 3 floors, appx 25 classrooms per floor, modular section with another 8 classrooms, full size auditorium and gym & 11 full size gang bathrooms. There is also a daily after school program called GYO which is basically a program where the parents pay the district to have their kids babysat by kids in their early 20's. They occupy about 1/2 of the building & are there until 6:30 PM. So yes, it takes 5 of us to to do the job.

*Side note: A couple of weeks ago he called me 30 minutes after our shift ended & actually had the balls to ask me to go back to the school & take the TWO gallons of fkn salad dressing oil he left out that he planned on taking home (stealing) but forgot it in the building. Who the FK needs to steal TWO JUGS of salad oil?? When I told him I wouldn't do it, he didn't speak to me for a week.

Originally Posted by William Fuld View Post
Look the other way.
I appreciate all the feedback, but I think this is the only solution. I know if I was to report him it would be the type of situation where it would be my word against his & know for a fact my co-workers would never get involved whether they are aware or not. I am also sure I'd be sided against.

Last edited by JZ1276; 09-30-19 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 03:35 PM

All the things that make JZ’s nemesis a real asshole. LOL at 2 gallons of salad dressing, I bet he sells it to some restaurant.
This guy is a jerk and a loser, take him down!

No, not by ratting, hide down under a table, real low, in the darkness. When he walks by, whip out a razor real quick and slice his Achille’s Tendon, then slide back into the shadows.
Old 09-30-19, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 615 Likes on 446 Posts

This guy sounds like a real winner. I take it there's no video monitoring in the school. And taking $100 from a teacher, knowing how they spend their own money for the kids, really pisses me off.
Old 09-30-19, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm a little surprised all the victims (teachers, cooks, etc.) haven't placed spycams in their rooms or wherever, attempting to catch this person.

Apparently, years have gone by with this person continuing to do what he does best: steal.

Therefore, the entire school must be ok with this guy, which seems to reflect the OP's opening story.
Old 09-30-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Kinda frustrated that even with all of the well-explained good advice dispensed, the OP has apparently decided that doing nothing and waiting for the eventual shit-show of your boss's arrest with no "CYA" is the only option worth considering. That path is one fraught with peril and landmines. Your boss WILL get caught, and you ALREADY ARE an accomplice to these thefts subject to discipline at work and potential legal jeopardy for your (in)actions.

Don't worry about TPTB not believing you that their golden boy was responsible for these thefts, because they likely won't take your word for it anyway. They will investigate it themselves and likely come to the same determination fairly swiftly. Win-Win for you! You acted on your conscience and did the right thing AND will likely keep your job. If you do nothing and stay silent, then I can guarantee you that you will live to regret it.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 09-30-19 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-30-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I'm a little surprised all the victims (teachers, cooks, etc.) haven't placed spycams in their rooms or wherever, attempting to catch this person.
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
This guy sounds like a real winner. I take it there's no video monitoring in the school. And taking $100 from a teacher, knowing how they spend their own money for the kids, really pisses me off.
I'm not positive on this, but I believe this has never been done because it's illegal to secretly record video in schools.

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
This guy is a jerk and a loser, take him down!
This is a grown man in his mid 40's. He wears his pants like the teenagers do. Purposely sags them down right below his ass cheeks to the point where most of his underwear showing. I'm surprised this has never even been addressed. A few months back I overheard him call one of the students "Fat ass". Granted, a lot of the students are very spoiled, disrespectful and entitled. When they need our attention they will yell out "Hey Custodian" instead of "Excuse me Mr." or "Sir". Regardless, calling a student fat ass is unacceptable. I don't remember what the student said to him to make him insult him but the kid brought his parent in the next day and of course he denied it and the parent scolded the child for lying right there on the spot which made the kid cry.
Old 09-30-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 454 Likes on 391 Posts

Excuse me, but is "custodian" the politically correct term being used these days for janitors? I don't think I've ever come across anyone using custodian before.
Old 09-30-19, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 254 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw View Post
Kinda frustrated that even with all of the well-explained good advice dispensed, the OP has apparently decided that doing nothing and waiting for the eventual shit-show of your boss's arrest with no "CYA" is the only option worth considering.
Hi, you must be new here. Welcome to the DVD Talk advice column, where people ask for advice and then don't take the advice offered!
Old 09-30-19, 05:43 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 740 Likes on 528 Posts

Yeah, remember the guy who asked if he should eat strange fruit from his back yard, and everyone was like, "No, don't eat the poisonous fruit," and he was all, "OK, imma eat me some fruit!"

I'm pretty sure that guy died and his account was taken over by his super hot wife.
Old 09-30-19, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 579 Likes on 409 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Yeah, remember the guy who asked if he should eat strange fruit from his back yard, and everyone was like, "No, don't eat the poisonous fruit," and he was all, "OK, imma eat me some fruit!"

I'm pretty sure that guy died and his account was taken over by his super hot wife.

Huh. There is hope for this place after all.
Old 09-30-19, 06:41 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 164 Likes on 124 Posts

I say ignore it. You all are going to get fired for this. It’s inevitable. So in the mean time steal as much as you can. Don’t forget the copper wire.
Old 09-30-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 210 Likes on 160 Posts

1 year later

Bumping a year later to let everyone know my friend the thief custodian is doing 3yrs behind bars. As for me I got fired and I'm now working at McDonald's as a Janitor. I do have a situation where a guy here is stealing toilet paper and hamburger buns. What should I do? Should I talk to the manager (ratting) or should I ignore it?

Old 09-30-19, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 548 Likes on 341 Posts

Old 09-30-19, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 610 Likes on 430 Posts

@ Sonic
Old 09-30-19, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
Excuse me, but is "custodian" the politically correct term being used these days for janitors? I don't think I've ever come across anyone using custodian before.
Actually, I think custodian sounds better than janitor, the latter makes me think of clogged up toilets. What term would you suggest be used?
Old 09-30-19, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 548 Likes on 341 Posts

Broom Jockey?
Old 09-30-19, 07:32 PM

Mop Jockey is preferred because it's more alliterative. But yes, the term was Custodian, since at least the '70s, at least in the Pacific NW.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.