Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Those UFO videos are real, the Navy says

Old 09-20-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Those UFO videos are real, the Navy says

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...op-saying-ufo/

How come you guys aren't talking about this?
Also do you believe in smart alien life? and if so do you think they have come visit us?
Old 09-20-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Those UFO videos are real, the Navy says

Videos are real. Them being aliens are not positively real.
Old 09-20-19, 11:12 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Videos are real. There are no aliens.
Old 09-20-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Videos are real. Them being aliens are not positively real.
Right. I've heard rumblings along the lines of "Navy confirms aliens visited us" - no they didn't. They confirmed that they can't figure out what those objects are which in itself is intriguing.

Do I believe in smart alien life? Absolutely. Considering all we know about the universe it's crazy to think there isn't smart alien life out there somewhere.

Do I think they've come to visit us? Probably not. Either they don't have the technology to do so, don't know we exist or don't care about our existence. If there is a being out there that has mastered space travel, my guess is that they wouldn't care enough about us to visit us.
Old 09-20-19, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Do I believe in smart alien life? Absolutely. Considering all we know about the universe it's crazy to think there isn't smart alien life out there somewhere.
There's not much of that on Earth, so it would be nice to think that there is somewhere out there.

Old 09-20-19, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I absolutely believe we've been scouted and put into an exclusionary zone due to the fact that we're barely sentient trashbags. If the things in the videos are extraterrestrial in origin, they're likely scouts or poachers that shouldn't be here. I have no doubt we're a "no contact" species for at least a few more centuries (if we make it that long).
Old 09-20-19, 05:36 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I absolutely believe we've been scouted and put into an exclusionary zone due to the fact that we're barely sentient trashbags. If the things in the videos are extraterrestrial in origin, they're likely scouts or poachers that shouldn't be here. I have no doubt we're a "no contact" species for at least a few more centuries (if we make it that long).

Old 09-20-19, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
Right. I've heard rumblings along the lines of "Navy confirms aliens visited us" - no they didn't. They confirmed that they can't figure out what those objects are which in itself is intriguing.
An anomaly that defies gravity, that bursts into warp speed and can stop abruptly...then fly off again is intriguing?!?

Baffling is the world you should have used.
Old 09-20-19, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
I absolutely believe we've been scouted and put into an exclusionary zone due to the fact that we're barely sentient trashbags.
Maybe aliens logged onto here and were promptly banned.
Old 09-20-19, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Extraterrestrials from multiple planets have been visiting us for millennia and monitoring us. Our governments have made contact with them, at least the U.S. government has. They just won't tell us. Nor will the media. Some of these aliens are interested in helping us. Others aren't. I'm not sure why any of you would doubt this. What is it about your narrow worldview that prevents you from accepting the truth? Humans astound me with their hubris and narcissism. They think they're gods and can't imagine a force more powerful than them. I will report this thread back to my home planet. That is all.
Old 09-20-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

IBTPL!

(In before the planetary lock)
Old 09-21-19, 12:26 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
Extraterrestrials from multiple planets have been visiting us for millennia and monitoring us. Our governments have made contact with them, at least the U.S. government has. They just won't tell us. Nor will the media. Some of these aliens are interested in helping us. Others aren't. I'm not sure why any of you would doubt this.
I'll believe it as soon as I am shown proof.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
What is it about your narrow worldview that prevents you from accepting the truth? Humans astound me with their hubris and narcissism. They think they're gods and can't imagine a force more powerful than them. I will report this thread back to my home planet. That is all.
Again, I'll accept it as soon as I see proof.
Old 09-21-19, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The mind is a funny thing. Reality is subjective. UFOs are as "real" as the Big Bang itself. Just a theory. We'll never know for sure. I happen to personally believe the odds are infinitesmal, but they are positive at some obscenely low level. My consideration is based on the incomprehensible vastness of outer space itself, and the time and energy required make the process of our "discovery" by alien beings on the order of atto percentage levels (decimal followed by 18 zeros) percent.
Old 09-21-19, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

UFO
U. F. O.
Unidentified
Flying
Object

"Hey, what's that thing flying along there?"
"I don't know."

Bingo, it's a UFO

It could be a previously undocumented atmospheric phenomenon. (we're still finding those)
It could be an experimental aircraft
It could be an electromagnetic anomaly.

A spaceship from another planet is the LEAST likely thing it could be.

Not that I think Humans are all there is. I just imagine, if an intelligent species cruised by our planet, they would observe from space, take notes, including "idiots", and move along. There would be no reason for them to make random appearances within the atmosphere.
Old 09-21-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
I'll believe it as soon as I am shown proof.

Again, I'll accept it as soon as I see proof.

No one will "show" you the proof because they don't want you to know. Those who truly want proof must seek it out for themselves.
Old 09-21-19, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Kinda like those who want to see proof of God...will have to "find him"?

One of the top reasons any alien species would come here is for entertainment. I highly doubt they would want us to leave our own solar system, given our awesome history of violence over the last several thousands of years.

Humans are the Cosmic Joke of the Universe.

I'd like to think some ET feels sorry for us and wants to help us meliorate, but I'm rather hesitant to believe it unless I see blatant and unconditional proof this is the case. The fact that aliens have been rather silent for oh, I don't know, several thousand years, makes me think they don't really want us to go anywhere and just want to observe us.
Old 09-21-19, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Klaatu barada nikto.
Old 09-22-19, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Is this the first time that a government agency has admitted to UFOs?

I personally think UFOs are real. Too many credible witnesses like these fighter pilots and astronauts who are pretty unshakable, intelligent individuals with nothing to gain and a lot to lose to claiming that they saw something strange in the sky.

No little green men is an entirely different thing. Who knows what these UFOs are but if they really were aliens from another planet why are they hiding? And if they are hiding why are they hiding so terribly with objects that emit light and move strangely?

Nah..the truth is probably even more frightening and depressing. There is intelligent life out there in space but through the vast distance between worlds no civilization will likely encounter any other civilization.
Old 09-22-19, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Kinda like those who want to see proof of God...will have to "find him"?

One of the top reasons any alien species would come here is for entertainment. I highly doubt they would want us to leave our own solar system, given our awesome history of violence over the last several thousands of years.

Humans are the Cosmic Joke of the Universe.

I'd like to think some ET feels sorry for us and wants to help us meliorate, but I'm rather hesitant to believe it unless I see blatant and unconditional proof this is the case. The fact that aliens have been rather silent for oh, I don't know, several thousand years, makes me think they don't really want us to go anywhere and just want to observe us.
Exactly.

Old 09-22-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I saw a UFO
Spoiler:

at Winterland in San Franciso
Old 09-22-19, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

^ Is that you, Eddie Trunk?