Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

A Wal-Mart in Dallas, Georgia, is offering low cost health care

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-19-19, 01:40 PM
Political Exile

Please remember that it was Wal-Mart that was the first one to sell generic prescription drugs for $4 quite a few years ago in all of its pharmacies across the country. Lots of other major pharmacy chains later copied the $4 price.

Now this one Wal-Mart in Dallas, Georgia, will be offering low cost health care. I hope this succeeds, and gets copied in every Wal-Mart in the country.
https://mises.org/wire/walmarts-healthcare-experiment-has-begun-it-may-be-game-changer?utm_source=Mises+Institute+Subscriptions&utm_campaign=5fe05abb3d-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_9_21_2018_9_59_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_8b52b2e1c0-5fe05abb3d-228091697

Walmart's Healthcare Experiment Has Begun, It May Be A Game Changer

September 17, 2019

I live in exactly the right location to see the outcome of a grand experiment. The pilot Walmart Supercenter is located in Dallas, Georgia. So am I.

On Friday the 13th, the CEO of Walmart cut the ribbon at the grand opening. Sadly, I only learned about this grand opening on the morning of September 14. There had been no publicity while the store was being remodeled over the last 12 months. So, what you are about to read is based on original research conducted on the cheap on the afternoon of September 14.

I live in a subdivision that is close to a state highway. The subdivision is surrounded by trees. It is quiet. We cannot hear the traffic. But the highway is centrally located … now more than ever.

My house is about 60 seconds from the highway. When I pull out of the subdivision, I can turn either right or left.

If I turn to the right and drive approximately 1.7 miles, I arrive at the Walmart Supercenter.I walked into this Supercenter through a new wing: Walmart Health. There, I found a health care delivery system that is far more comprehensive than the standard walk-in clinics that have sprung up in America's mini-malls. Here is what is available.

• Primary care
  • Dental
  • Counseling
  • Labs & x-rays
  • Health screening
  • Optometry
  • Hearing
  • Fitness & nutrition
  • Health insurance education & enrollment
I have seen it. I am impressed.

Here is Walmart's press release.
The Walmart Health center will offer low, transparent pricing for key health services to provide great care at a great value, regardless of insurance coverage. Customers will be notified on the estimated cost of their visit when they book their appointment.

The Walmart Health center will be operated by qualified medical professionals, including physicians, nurse practitioners, dentists, behavioral health providers, and optometrists. Walmart Care Hosts and Community Health Workers onsite will help customers navigate their visit, understand resources and be a familiar presence for regular visits.

Working in partnership with wellness organizations, the Health Center will offer specialized community health resources, online education, and in-center workshops to educate the community about preventive health and wellness. You know what a service is going to cost before you sign in.

Last edited by grundle; 09-19-19 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-19-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: A Wal-Mart in Dallas, Georgia, is offering low cost health care

CostCo has had eye exams for a while.
Old 09-19-19, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I certainly hope that it succeeds. I'm tired of paying $500 per month for health insurance, and getting nothing out of it except frustration, and a lighter wallet. Not even peace of mind, because I don't know whether next year, the price will suddenly jump to $1000 per month, or even higher. Fuck Blue Cross.
Old 09-19-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

So when Obamacare was being shopped around everyone said that it was great because health care didn't belong in the private sector because they'd just charge high prices to appeal to stock holders but now that it is being offered in the private sector cheaply - it's a good idea? Make up your minds people!
Old 09-19-19, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
So when Obamacare was being shopped around everyone said that it was great because health care didn't belong in the private sector because they'd just charge high prices to appeal to stock holders but now that it is being offered in the private sector cheaply - it's a good idea? Make up your minds people!
You might notice that the Walmart Health is not offering surgery or chemotherapy (for example).

More to the point, Obamacare has nothing to do with the public or private DELIVERY of health care, it is about access to INSURANCE to cover the cost of health care.

Even if a person advocates for a government as single-payer health care system, they would also recognize that as long as we have a system based on private insurance coverage, we need low cost private insurance options.

Old 09-19-19, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

C’mon, Zod’s not dumb. He just posted... that.
Old 09-19-19, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Do they have coverage for a patient when shot by a walmart gun that puts them near death/handicap?
Old 09-20-19, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Do they have coverage for a patient when shot by a walmart gun that puts them near death/handicap?
No, But I hear there whole sale club Sam's Club will be offering Kidney Transplants half price.
Old 09-20-19, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

While I’m still for single payer, this is an area where savings could happen and I’ve talked about before.

Traditionally, your Dr office was cheaper than the ER. And the corner “doc-in-the-box” (Urgent Care) was cheaper than your Dr office. And getting a flu shot at CVS was cheapest yet.,

An ER has to be staffed and set up for heart attack, car accidents and shootings. So when someone goes there for the flu, it outrageously expensive.

The problem of course, is people go to the ER for the flu because they are open 24hours a day. And they can’t afford to miss work or have other health insurance/care.

20 years ago I dropped my optical insurance, it was cheaper to go to the Dr in Walmart. About 10 years ago he opened his own practice. I still go there. No insurance.

I, not seeing where this is actually insurance. Just offering some care at cheaper rate. Which is fine. And good.

Its still past time we just go to single payer.
Old 09-20-19, 01:08 PM

There is already a robust health care discussion thread in Politics, where the discussion should occur anyway. Locking.