Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What activities do you refuse to do by youself?

Old 09-12-19, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What activities do you refuse to do by youself?

Do you refuse to go to the movies by yourself? Do you hate going to restaurants and eating alone? What about traveling alone? Me personally I have no issues being a loner. I go to the movies alone all the time, I go to restaurants by myself. But the one thing I cant do by myself is go to an amusement park alone. I am considering going to Universal Orlando alone for Halloween Horror nights, but something about doing that makes me feel somewhat pathetic.
Old 09-12-19, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: What activities do you refuse to do by youself?

I hate doing anything alone except for masturbation.

I am bipolar and have really bad anxiety issues. Plus I don't drive so unless someone goes to a movie, concert or out to eat with me I stay home, which is fine by me as I like to limit my contact with other humans as much as possible.

Probably not the answers you were hoping for.
Old 09-12-19, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a friend who prefers to go to amusement parks by himself. He gets a fast pass thing and just hops on rides all day. I would say that's my only advice: get the fast pass so that you're not waiting in line. That's really the only part where it sucks to not have company.
Old 09-12-19, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Being single most of my life (Happily married now) I never had a problem doing things by myself. I couldn't begin to tell you how many dinners, movies, etc. I have done alone. My Sister In Law (who is single for a good reason) refuses to go out and do anything without someone with her.
Old 09-12-19, 10:08 AM

Pretty much everyone finds it odd that I go to the movies, dinner, concerts, and even amusement parks by myself. I traveled alot in the Navy and many times I didn't go with anyone. So on the weekends it was either sit at the hotel and do nothing or go out. I'm huge into metal music and no one has ever gone to a concert with me. Am I supposed to never go to a concert? I don't understand peoples fear of doing something alone (other than anxiety or something similar). Almost every time I go somewhere alone I end up striking up a conversation with folks around me.
Old 09-12-19, 10:10 AM

I often prefer to do things alone. Then you don't have someone tugging at you ("Let's GO") if they're bored, or conversely you can walk out right in the middle of something if you're not enjoying it or just don't feel it.

That said, I enjoy live theater, and I always prefer to bring someone along to that.
Old 09-12-19, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

due to my last job having me travel for business extnesively and solo I have no issue doing most things alone, movie, dinner etc I have gone to a couple of concerts by myself but not since I was married and about the only thing that would be uncomfortable / not enjoyable would be going to a amusement park like disney or six flags. Dont enjoy those enough to go solo.... and would feel kind of odd to me.
Old 09-12-19, 10:38 AM

I sometimes go to movies by myself especially when it is a spur of the moment decision to go and it would be too much of a hassle to plan it with someone else. My wife doesn't like going to movies much because her she can't stop talking for that long a period and she can't seem to not check facebook on her phone at least ever 3-5 minutes, so she'll get withdrawal symptoms. So it's usually easier to go by myself than with her especially since she doesn't like the movies I want to see.

I feel weird about going to some restaurants alone. I don't mind going to fast food or the local Italian pizzaria by my self, but it would feel weird for me to go to a sit down restaurant where they serve your food like the Olive Garden, TGIF's, Outback Steakhouse, etc.
Old 09-12-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Blind dates.
Old 09-12-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, sit-down restaurants are awkward by myself. Other than that, I enjoy the solitude on occasions. Have done concerts and sporting events alone and while they're more fun with a friend, I can get by just fine.
Old 09-12-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't mind going to dinner by myself, though I doubt I'd spring for a fancy restaurant or anything.

I do feel weird about going to the theater by myself, but I'm perfectly fine watching something at home by myself. I just don't see a reason to go spend the money to go see a movie if it's not a social event, I guess.

When I got married, and even moreso when I had kids, I do feel like doing things alone is a bit selfish, so I don't like marathon RPGs like I used to, at least not until they're sleeping. I know others who just go to their office or gameroom or whatever and spend hours there while the family does other stuff but I dunno, it just feels weird. But not too weird, because the one exception I have is sports, because it's so much more enjoyable live.
Old 09-12-19, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Going to restaurants I always just sit at the bar and I have never had a problem going to movies alone. Traveling alone kind of scares me.
Old 09-12-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by beavis69 View Post
I'm huge into metal music and no one has ever gone to a concert with me. Am I supposed to never go to a concert? I don't understand peoples fear of doing something alone (other than anxiety or something similar). Almost every time I go somewhere alone I end up striking up a conversation with folks around me.
That's me too. If it's a more melodic metal band, I can usually find someone to go with me (although I might have to pay for their ticket), but for extreme metal bands, I'm on my own that's for sure. It's no biggie, before/between acts, I just make small talk with the people near me, after all, we have at least one thing in common. And the rest of the time, I'm just enjoying the concert, you don't need to be with someone for that part (same with watching movies). I'm not a big fan of eating in a nice restaurant by myself though, I've only done that a couple times on business trips, it felt kinda weird.
Old 09-12-19, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Maybe having grown up an only child helps, but I have no issues with going to a restaurant/movie/state fair/museum by myself. A little peace is a precious thing. My wife and I even do separate activities where our interests don't align: I go to the range or do the shopping while she gardens or takes photos of the aurora.
Old 09-12-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
My wife and I even do separate activities where our interests don't align: I go to the range or do the shopping while she gardens or takes photos of the aurora.
Oh yeah, my wife and I do this all the time, I never understood those couples that need to do everything together, we certainly don't. I'm not an only child, but I definitely need my space to have alone time, I'm comfortable with my own company and need that sometimes. Aaaand then the kids come home from school and it's all over.
Old 09-12-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I won't do Karaoke alone.
Old 09-12-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I probably wouldnít go to a nicer sit down restaurant alone. Never have and would feel a bit awkward about it I think. However I will go to fast food places alone sometimes if itís just going to be quick. I go to movies alone more than I used to. I prefer having someone to go with, but if I want to see something and canít find anyone to go with Iíll go on my own. Havenít really traveled alone and I donít think Iíd really want to.
Old 09-12-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was single until my late 30s, so I'm comfortable doing anything alone. Seeing someone who needs another person to go to the movies with them is kind of like seeing women who look for volunteers to go to the restroom with them.
Old 09-12-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hiking. I know a lot of folks that do solo hiking, but I just can't. Just in case something ever happens. Same with kayaking. My uncle died while paddle boarding by himself. We'll never know if he'd still be alive if there was someone with him.
Old 09-12-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I travel alone all the time when I go on vacation overseas.

I also have zero problem going to the movies alone. Once my friends got married and had kids, it became next to impossible to coordinate schedules to get together.

Also, got really no issue dining alone.

I do admit, going to a concert alone is a little awkward.
Old 09-12-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
Hiking. I know a lot of folks that do solo hiking, but I just can't. Just in case something ever happens. Same with kayaking. My uncle died while paddle boarding by himself. We'll never know if he'd still be alive if there was someone with him.
To Whom It May Concern,

DVD P will get all my movies if I tumble down a cliff or just do something stupid.

____________________________ Signed devilshalo

----

Just print, sign, and fax your copy to me, buddy!
Old 09-12-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dvd polizei View Post
to whom it may concern,

just print, sign, and fax your copy to me, buddy!
Old 09-12-19, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I travel for work a lot and am usually alone when I do. I must admit that I enjoy this alone time immensely, to include dining out alone. I just read on my phone and, when appropriate, sit at the bar. At home, I rarely do any "night time" (dining out, shows, movies, etc.) activities alone. My wife and I do tend to do a lot of solo activities during the day, however, although one of us will have to have our toddler in tow now.
Old 09-12-19, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
I feel weird about going to some restaurants alone. I don't mind going to fast food or the local Italian pizzaria by my self, but it would feel weird for me to go to a sit down restaurant where they serve your food like the Olive Garden, TGIF's, Outback Steakhouse, etc.
I went to Paris by myself after a vacation with the gf. We had spent time in the Carpathian mountains and I saw her off at the airport, but I still had a couple of days so on my way back, I thought I'd drop by Paris to see the city and do Disneyland.

While touring the city, I told myself, the first upscale place I saw that looked interesting, I'd stop and eat there. So I found this place: Restaurant Cleo

I sat by myself, in shorts and a polo with my backpack and a visor. Impeccable place. Staff was all in suits. And this tourist that sat down to eat a 4 course, Ä100 dinner. C'est la vie.
Old 09-12-19, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by devilshalo View Post
I used to do this when I was single. The secret is to make sure at least one person knows where you are planning to go and when you will get back. For me that was one of my friends and coworkers. I gave him a map of the section of trail and said if I'm not in Monday have them look for me here. Its when people do solo trips and tell nobody that they get in trouble as well as when you go off the marked trail. Easy peasey

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.