Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Mystery vaping/e-cig illness (6 deaths so far)

Old 09-10-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mystery vaping/e-cig illness (6 deaths so far)

Is anyone else getting freaked out by this mystery vaping illness that's killing people?

One by one, doctors rule out infections, viruses, autoimmune diseases, and all likely causes of such symptoms. Theyíre left with just one compelling culprit: vaping.ďThe patients Iíve seen have been healthy, young. All have been males, and otherwise no real medical problems,Ē said Gautam George, an assistant professor of medicine in pulmonary and critical care at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. ďWe donít completely understand what it is about vaping that causes this constellation of symptoms.Ē
Early symptoms of the illness include cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, nausea, vomiting, abdominal pain and fever. It may look like a fast-developing pneumonia and may require artificial respiration.

The CDC and FDA are still investigating and analyzing samples provided by patients to determine a specific link between all patients being treated for a vaping-related illness. While they have pointed out that vitamin E acetate from the cannabis samples is specifically under investigation because nearly all contained the chemical, not all patients have reported using a cannabis product.
It's scared me off vaping, since at least one of these deaths was from THC vaping, not just e-cigs. No one seems to know what's really causing this, so I figured I'm fine abstaining for a while. I was at the weed shop today, and asked the budtender if he had heard any word from the vape cartridge manufacturers about it, and he just said "All our stuff is lab tested, so we don't have an issue with anything we sell". Which is complete bullshit, since they don't even know what they should be testing for!

According to this, there are 450 cases of people getting sick so far.
Old 09-10-19, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Mystery vaping/e-cig illness (6 deaths so far)

Why is this coming up now? Is this like relatively long term effects of vaping or something?
Old 09-10-19, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Is anyone else getting freaked out by this mystery vaping illness that's killing
Only if second hand vaping starts killing people. I thought the worst cases were linked to user modified products not the regular story bought stuff.
Old 09-10-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't smoke or vape. I haven't smoked in years. I'm glad this is surfacing that way I know what I'll be getting into when the time is right.
Old 09-10-19, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

People don't just magically start getting sick and die. Somebody put out bad product or cheapo e-cigs/vapes which makes people sick. Doesn't bother me at all, I don't do cheap shit bro.
Old 09-10-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It hasnít really given me pause thus far. I mix my own juice and am two months in to a ten month batch. The latest I read sounded like the leading theories were 1) some bad ingredient put out, 2) bad hardware that was causing people to inhale liquid droplets rather than just vapor or 3) bad hardware that was causing people to inhale metallic particles. I saw several doctors researching this said based on the data, it is absolutely something new and not just an emergence of long-term effects. I would be more concerned if I was regularly buying juice, but donít feel much need to worry as it stands.
Old 09-10-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, it's almost like breathing in nicotine-laced chemicals via an unregulated electronic device is unhealthy or something.
Old 09-10-19, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I thought I heard something about the idea of inhaling oil being a bad idea. (I know that's not exactly what's going on, but still ...)

Then again, not freaked out about it, because I don't do it, and though I don't wish ill on vapers, they tend to look idiotic sucking on those little juice boxes.
Old 09-10-19, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Wow, it's almost like breathing in nicotine-laced chemicals via an unregulated electronic device is unhealthy or something.
This.

My mom smoked for twenty years. Quit. And STILL died of COPD ... 42 years later.

My favorite brother smoked for forty-five years. Contracted lung cancer. When he got to where he couldn't stand it anymore he blew his brains out with a handgun.

The human lungs shouldn't be asked to breathe anything but air.
Old 09-10-19, 08:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly. Smoke stupid chemicals, win stupid prizes.

My biggest issue with this is that a lot of these products are marketed to teens and a lot have candy/fruity flavors that attracts younger people. I would just hope parents are doing their part in educating their kids.
Old 09-10-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I am shocked! Shocked I tell you to find out that the cigarette companies took something addictive and bad for you and replaced it with something else addictive and bad for you. Who could have possibly seen this coming except for .. everyone?
Old 09-11-19, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't believe this is even news. It had an expectancy of happening of about 100%. People are mighty dumb if they think vaping is really any less harmful than full-on smoking. Vaping is a terrible, filthy, addicting habit, and I'll even go on the record as saying that those 450 sickened and 6 dead deserve what they got. And it's only the barest tip of the iceberg, or, rather avalanche that's coming. It's almost 2020 and after 60 years of known and proven carcinogenicity, nicotine is still being hyped up into "cool" and "hip" little packages for the kids by evil, misanthropic, rapacious companies.
Old 09-11-19, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Can't believe this is even news. It had an expectancy of happening of about 100%. People are mighty dumb if they think vaping is really any less harmful than full-on smoking. Vaping is a terrible, filthy, addicting habit, and I'll even go on the record as saying that those 450 sickened and 6 dead deserve what they got. And it's only the barest tip of the iceberg, or, rather avalanche that's coming. It's almost 2020 and after 60 years of known and proven carcinogenicity, nicotine is still being hyped up into "cool" and "hip" little packages for the kids by evil, misanthropic, rapacious companies.
I mean, pretty much any doctor you speak to will tell you that vaping is significantly less harmful than smoking and I donít believe thereís a single authoritative body thatís classified nicotine as a carcinogen, but sure, wish death on people for doing something you donít like.
Old 09-11-19, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly

Really not sure why this is a surprise or even newsworthy.
Old 09-11-19, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I’d much rather hang out in a bar with a bunch of smokers than with a bunch of vapers.
Old 09-11-19, 06:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This cannot be good for the lungs.
Old 09-11-19, 06:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
Iíd much rather hang out in a bar with a bunch of smokers than with a bunch of vapers.
Monday evening I hung out at a house with a bunch of smokers for less than an hour. I was reeking when I left. I had to wash my hair before I went to bed. Does vaping smell as bad?
Old 09-11-19, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Monday evening I hung out at a house with a bunch of smokers for less than an hour. I was reeking when I left. I had to wash my hair before I went to bed. Does vaping smell as bad?
not as bad but different. When you have five or six assholes in a small bar blowing those huge clouds of fruity, minty or whatever other shitty flavors they make, it gets to be too much.
At least with cigs, unless theyíre all chain smokers, itís not a constant barrage.
This is coming from someone who has never smoked a single cigarette.
Old 09-11-19, 07:08 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I remember when all this vaping started, telling my wife that one day they'd find out that shit'll kill you just as bad as tobacco. Looks like the data is starting to materialize. Of course there'll be the deniers, I used to smoke cigarettes, I know all about denying there's a problem.

Personally, I don't see what the point of it is. All this bizarre-looking apparatus just to breathe chemical vapor into your lungs...
Old 09-11-19, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by maxfisher View Post

I mean, pretty much any doctor you speak to will tell you that vaping is significantly less harmful than smoking and I donít believe thereís a single authoritative body thatís classified nicotine as a carcinogen, but sure, wish death on people for doing something you donít like.

1: Vaping Is Less Harmful Than Traditional Smoking.

E-cigarettes heat nicotine (extracted from tobacco), flavorings and other chemicals to create a water vapor that you inhale. Regular tobacco cigarettes contain 7,000 chemicals, many of which are toxic. While we donít know exactly what chemicals are in e-cigarettes, Blaha says ďthereís almost no doubt that they expose you to fewer toxic chemicals than traditional cigarettes.Ē

2: Vaping Is Still Bad for Your Health.

Nicotine is the primary agent in both regular cigarettes and e-cigarettes, and it is highly addictive. It causes you to crave a smoke and suffer withdrawal symptoms if you ignore the craving. Nicotine is also a toxic substance. It raises your blood pressure and spikes your adrenaline, which increases your heart rate and the likelihood of having a heart attack.

Is vaping bad for you? There are many unknowns about vaping, including what chemicals make up the vapor and how they affect physical health over the long term. ďPeople need to understand that e-cigarettes are potentially dangerous to your health,Ē says Blaha. ďYouíre exposing yourself to all kinds of chemicals that we donít yet understand and that are probably not safe.Ē
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...w-about-vaping

Fewer toxic chemicals is not "less harmful" but addicts tell themselves many things
Old 09-11-19, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

question is will cogress ban vapeing product ala lawn darts before we have gun control. Give you three guesses and the first two don't count.
Old 09-11-19, 07:44 AM
Admin-Thanos

My next door neighbor is a chain smoker as is her husband. He has COPD and Lung Cancer and he's still puffing away. I would love it if they started vaping, The smoke leaks through our attached wall and kills me and my wife. This woman looks like the Crypt Keeper. It's disgusting.
Old 09-11-19, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The comments in this thread just show that this shoddy journalism is having its desired effect. Health officials have known from almost the very beginning that all of almost all of these illnesses are linked to a specific subset of THC vape cartridges containing vitamin E acetate oil. Yet I see and hear news story after news story quoting medical professionals recommending that people "stop vaping". Last night, finally, after several straight days of stories like this did my local news station finally run a story that was a bit more honest.

To say that nicotine vaping is safe would be ridiculous, most especially since we do not have long term inhalation studies on the literally hundreds of different flavoring compounds contained in various "flavors" of vape juice. Also, I certainly share the concerns about young people who do not otherwise smoke taking up the habit. However, there are mounds of medical studies going back several years that demonstrate pretty convincingly that it is much, much less harmful than smoking. So at least in terms of its use as a smoking replacement strategy, it is the very definition of a public health risk reduction tool. How many people who were vaping to try and quit smoking have gone back to cigarettes in the past week or so because of these news stories?
Old 09-11-19, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...w-about-vaping

Fewer toxic chemicals is not "less harmful" but addicts tell themselves many things
The article you posted says there may be harmful effects. Compare that to cigarettes and guess which one most doctors prefer. Additionally, there have been studies showing that inhaling a vaporized liquid doesnít cause lung tissue inflammation the way inhaling smoke from burned materials does. I know when I switched, the lung inflammation tests my allergist performs went from moderate to almost nothing. She was thrilled Iíd made the change. I donít think anyone is claiming vaping is completely safe, but generally itís tremendously less bad for your health than smoking. And nicotine itself is likely the least unhealthy aspect of either.
Old 09-11-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I suspect that vaping huge clouds of whatever will have more negative effects than just sipping a little flavored vapor, which was the original concept.

I don't let people vape in my house, because the glycerine or whatever it is sticks to everything.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.