Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Mystery vaping/e-cig illness (6 deaths so far)

Old 09-11-19, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: Mystery vaping/e-cig illness (6 deaths so far)

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
Can't believe this is even news. It had an expectancy of happening of about 100%. People are mighty dumb if they think vaping is really any less harmful than full-on smoking. Vaping is a terrible, filthy, addicting habit, and I'll even go on the record as saying that those 450 sickened and 6 dead deserve what they got. And it's only the barest tip of the iceberg, or, rather avalanche that's coming. It's almost 2020 and after 60 years of known and proven carcinogenicity, nicotine is still being hyped up into "cool" and "hip" little packages for the kids by evil, misanthropic, rapacious companies.
Only the hottest, most outrageous takes come from you.

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post

not as bad but different. When you have five or six assholes in a small bar blowing those huge clouds of fruity, minty or whatever other shitty flavors they make, it gets to be too much.
At least with cigs, unless they’re all chain smokers, it’s not a constant barrage.
This is coming from someone who has never smoked a single cigarette.
Vapers are universally bigger d-bags.
Old 09-11-19, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Funny timing; this episode of FG was on last night.

"As soon as you walk through vape smoke, you become a millennial."

Old 09-11-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
The smoke leaks through our attached wall and kills me and my wife. This woman looks like the Crypt Keeper. It's disgusting.
Hell of a way to talk about the Mrs, Vin. I had no idea second-hand smoke was so harmful!
Old 09-11-19, 11:01 AM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by bralph View Post
Hell of a way to talk about the Mrs, Vin. I had no idea second-hand smoke was so harmful!
I C wut you did there. Lulz
Old 09-11-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

6 deaths?

Shit, more people die from lightning strikes. Where's the gummerment to save them!

P.S. Inhale chemicals at your own risk, dumb e-shits.
Old 09-11-19, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Damn, there's a lot of hate for vapers on here. Just realize that us THC vaper people don't use pens that create huge plumes of smoke and aren't automatically douchy millennials. We just want to get stoned
Old 09-11-19, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by joeblow69 View Post
Damn, there's a lot of hate for vapers on here. Just realize that us THC vaper people don't use pens that create huge plumes of smoke and aren't automatically douchy millennials. We just want to get stoned
Hey, get stoned all you want. I'm not against that.

Come to Portland, OR. Most vapers are young idiots who think they're cool (along with the typical neckbeards and the latest iPhone).

If you want to be part of that group, so be it...but I would hope not.

To think that this alternative (not talking about the THC people)...is safer...is a bunch of bullshit. The chemicals they put in the oils are just as bad if not worse than the cigarette. It's a scam on the public and I'm surprised (well, not really) that these even got past the FDA and CDC.

Come to think of it, I couldn't guarantee the vaping version of THC is actually safer, either.
Old 09-11-19, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I missed the whole thing, but I think Trump just announced that they are banning flavored e-cig tanks, probably due to this issue and the huge number of kids who smoke those.
Old 09-11-19, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Preach on! But to be honest, I only vape dry cannabis flower with a top quality vaporizer, I've always been a bit suspicious about the oil cartridges, I have no idea what added chemicals are in those things, and about the cheapo made in China vapes that some people use. I've heard that there might be some issue with a type of oil often used in the carts, and how it affects the lining of the lungs. Ingesting oils is one thing, but I imagine that no type of oil is a good thing to inhale on a regular basis.
Old 09-11-19, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I missed the whole thing, but I think Trump just announced that they are banning flavored e-cig tanks, probably due to this issue and the huge number of kids who smoke those.
Trump administration plans to ban sale of flavored electronic cigarettes

The Trump administration said Wednesday it plans to ban the sale of non-tobacco-flavored electronic cigarettes amid a vaping crisis.

Trump pledged "strong rules and regulations" and said he would be report back in the next couple of weeks.

The American Vaping Association said it was disappointed in the president's decision to take direction from "anti-vaping activists," such as former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg.
In related news, vaping has suddenly surged in popularity among members of Reddit and the DVD Talk Politics forum.
Old 09-11-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by printerati View Post
Trump administration plans to ban sale of flavored electronic cigarettes

In related news, vaping has suddenly surged in popularity among members of Reddit and the DVD Talk Politics forum.
Damnit I was just about to post that. I was also going to post how Pelosi and Schumer were probably going to have a rally to protest Trump taking away one of the very foundations our country stands for - allowing people to vape whatever they want.
Old 09-11-19, 03:43 PM
Political Exile

Several people here have either attributed this to nicotine, or quoted and agreed with someone else here who attributed this to nicotine. But the article in the OP says this is happening with cannabis, not nicotine.

And regardless of whether it's cannabis or nicotine, why is this happening now when it did not happen five years ago? A lot of these people have only been vaping for a few weeks, so it's not as if this is some long expected thing that came about from the result of long term use.

As a believe in science, I want to know what the controlling factor is. Why is this happening with new users now, when it did not happen with new users five years ago?

More info from wikipedia, spoilerized for size:

Spoiler:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Safety...aping_products

2019 US outbreak of lung illness associated with vaping products

Cases involved in the outbreak of severe lung illness associated with vaping were first identified in Illinois and Wisconsin in April 2019.[235] As of September 6, 2019, over 450 possible cases of lung illness associated with the use of e-cigarette products have been reported to Centers for Disease Control and Prevention from the following 33 states and one US territory: AR, CA, CO, CT, DE, FL, GA, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, LA, MD, MI, MN, MT, NC, NE, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, SC, TN, TX, UT, VA, VT, WI, WV, and the US Virgin Islands).[22] The possible cases of severe pulmonary disease have been associated with the use of e-cigarette products such as devices, liquids, refill pods, and cartridges.[236] Six deaths were confirmed in the US, as of September 10, 2019.[237]

Based on reports from several states, symptoms typically develop over a period of days but sometimes can manifest over several weeks.[238] The US FDA stated on August 30, 2019 that in many cases, patients reported a gradual start of symptoms, including: breathing difficulty, shortness of breath, and/or chest pain before hospitalization.[239] Some cases reported mild to moderate gastrointestinal illness including: vomiting, diarrhea, other symptoms such as fevers or fatigue.[239] Patients have also acknowledged recent use of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC)-containing e-cigarette products while speaking to healthcare personnel, or in follow-up interviews by health department staff.[239]

On September 6, 2019, Dr. Dana Meaney-Delman, who is serving as the incident manager of Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's response to this outbreak, said that "Based on the clinical and laboratory evidence to date, we believe that a chemical exposure is likely associated with these illnesses. However, and I really want to stress this, more information is needed to determine which specific products or substances are involved. We are aware that some laboratories have identified Vitamin E acetate in product samples, and we have connected those laboratories with the FDA Forensic laboratories to compare results. At this time, no one device, product, or substance has been linked to all cases. Continued investigation is needed to better understand if a true relationship exists between any specific product or substance and the illnesses observed in patients. To find the answer we will need to combine information about e-cigarette use, and product sample testing and the clinical information from patients."[234]

Many of the samples tested by the states or by the US FDA as part of the 2019 investigation have been identified as vaping products containing tetrahydrocannabinol (or THC, a psychoactive component of the marijuana plant) and further, most of those samples with THC tested also contained significant amounts of vitamin E acetate.[240] Vitamin E acetate is a substance present in topical consumer products or dietary supplements, but data are limited about its effects after inhalation.[240] While the US FDA does not have enough data presently to conclude that Vitamin E acetate is the cause of the lung injury in these cases, the agency believes it is prudent to avoid inhaling this substance.[240] The US FDA stated that because consumers cannot be sure whether any THC vaping products may contain Vitamin E acetate, consumers are urged to avoid buying vaping products on the street, and to refrain from using THC oil or modifying/adding any substances to products purchased in stores.[240] At least one of the associated deaths that has been publicly disclosed appears to have been related to illicit THC vaping products.[240]

As of September 5, 2019, the New York State Department of Health reported 34 cases of severe lung ailments who were reportedly using different vaping products.[233] Tests conducted by the Wadsworth Center found exceedingly high amounts of vitamin E acetate in most of the cannabis e-cigarette products.[233] None of the nicotine-based product samples contained vitamin E acetate.[233] According to the reports from Illinois and Wisconsin, the onset of respiratory findings appeared to have occurred over several days to several weeks before hospitalization.[236] As of September 5, 2019, the Illinois Department of Public Health reported 42 cases of lung illness, seven that were still being investigated, and one death.[241] Severe lung disease among young adults and youth who used e-cigarettes required hospitalization in 11 cases in Wisconsin and others were being investigated in August 2019.[23] Symptoms were difficulty breathing, tiredness, chest pain, cough, and reduced weight.[23] Some required help to breathe.[23]

On August 9, 2019, the California Department of Public Health issued a statement regarding a cluster of seven healthy adults in Kings County, California, all of whom required hospitalization.[242] Since June 2019, at least seven cases of severe acute pulmonary disease in previously healthy adults were reported from a hospital in Kings County, CA.[242] Cases were among residents of multiple counties.[242] The patients presented with progressive respiratory distress, sometimes initially diagnosed with pneumonia or bronchitis, and some with preceding fevers and gastrointestinal symptoms.[242] All cases failed to respond to an initial course of antibiotic treatment.[242] All patients required admission to the hospital with significant respiratory support, including high-flow oxygen, bilevel positive airway pressure (BIPAP), or intubation with mechanical ventilation.[242] Diagnoses included pneumonitis and acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS).[242] Patients have improved with systemic steroids.[242] Evaluation for infectious etiologies has been negative to date in all patients.[242] All patients reported vaping in the weeks prior to hospital admission, and a reported common exposure between these patients is that they have been vaping cannabis or CBD oils.[242]

The e-cigarette industry is attributing illicit vaping liquids for the lung injuries.[243] "Each day of this crisis brings more evidence that street vapes containing THC or other illegal drugs are responsible for these illnesses, not nicotine vaping products," said Gregory Conley of the American Vaping Association, in August 2019.[243] "Like any health-related events reportedly associated with the use of vapor products, we are monitoring these reports," Juul Labs stated to Reuters in August 2019.[244] The company also stated that some news reports state that several cases of lung illness are associated with vaping THC, found in cannabis, "a Schedule 1, controlled substance that we do not sell."[244] "The legal vapes have been actively regulated by FDA since Aug 2017. FDA has conducted thousands of inspections of manufacturers and vape stores, published manufacturing guidance, sought product removals etc. These tragedies point to illegal vapes and THC," former FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb tweeted in August 2019.[245] Gottlieb was interviewed on CNBC's Squawk Box on September 9, 2019: he said "the current belief is the illnesses are linked to illegal vapes containing vitamin E oil."[246]

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo told the state health department to issue subpoenas against three sellers of thickening agents used in illicit vaping products.[247] The subpoenas are being served against Honey Cut Labs in Santa Monica, CA, for its Honey Cut product; Floraplex Terpenes in Ypsilanti, MI, for its Uber Thick product; and Mass Terpenes in Amherst, MA, for its product.[248] All three firms sell a product that is made with Vitamin E acetate, according to the Associated Press.[249]
Old 09-11-19, 03:59 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
My next door neighbor is a chain smoker as is her husband. He has COPD and Lung Cancer and he's still puffing away. I would love it if they started vaping, The smoke leaks through our attached wall and kills me and my wife. This woman looks like the Crypt Keeper. It's disgusting.
Here's a post that I made a long time ago:

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...rt-attack.html

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
My neighbor who smokes inside the apartment building just died from a heart attack.

I had actually mentioned the smoking issue to my landlord last year - when the guy was still alive. I reminded my landlord that our lease says that we're prohibited from emitting unpleasant odors that bother other tenants. But the landlord claimed that the clause was for cooking odors, not secondhand cigarette smoke. So then I asked the landlord to please either specifically ban or specifically allow smoking when he renews the leases for the next year, i.e., the spring of 2015. Such a clarification, in either direction, would be useful.

So this guy who died was a male in his 50s who lived alone. I had previously asked him to please switch to smokeless e-cigarettes, but he refused to do so, saying, "I don't know what's in those things."

There are still a few other people who smoke inside the building, but I'm patient, and I look forward to the building eventually being smoke free.

So just give it some time. Eventually, the problem will solve itself.
Old 09-11-19, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From what I've been reading, including in the article grundle quoted above, the issue may be with vitamin E acetate that some illicit THC oil cartridges may include. That stuff was never meant to be inhaled and may cause serious damage to lungs. I just received an email from a site that I bought weed from in the past, where they say that none of their cartridges contain vitamin E acetate, so I guess damage control is already beginning. Yeah, I think I'll stick with dry flower as I have been doing. Hell, I still have some old shatter that I stopped using because I honestly didn't know what chemicals were in there and didn't really want to inhale it. Glad I went with my gut instinct.
Old 09-11-19, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
From what I've been reading, including in the article grundle quoted above, the issue may be with vitamin E acetate that some illicit THC oil cartridges may include. That stuff was never meant to be inhaled and may cause serious damage to lungs. I just received an email from a site that I bought weed from in the past, where they say that none of their cartridges contain vitamin E acetate, so I guess damage control is already beginning. Yeah, I think I'll stick with dry flower as I have been doing. Hell, I still have some old shatter that I stopped using because I honestly didn't know what chemicals were in there and didn't really want to inhale it. Glad I went with my gut instinct.
Yep. These manufacturers, believe me, have NO INTEREST in helping the consumer. You're better of growing weed and smoking it yourself in your home and using discipline where you smoke...versus "everywhere with a vapor!" mentality.

These assholes ALWAYS pretend like they didn't know and only notify their consumers at the last minute. It's a shame really, that we don't have companies who actually want to make a profit...but also put the consumers' life as a priority as well.
Old 09-11-19, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm surprised that some of the bigger legal pot vape cartridge manufacturers haven't come out with a statement saying they don't use Vitamin E in their oil. It sounds like it's just the black market ones that do?

*edit* Spoke too soon, I did find this:

Old 09-11-19, 07:07 PM
Admin-Thanos

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Here's a post that I made a long time ago:

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk...rt-attack.html

So just give it some time. Eventually, the problem will solve itself.
This old lady smoking next door will live to 100, I'm sure of it. She's only 70 now. She is the one person who will be immune from the chemicals in cigarettes.
Old 09-11-19, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Id complain about the unhealthy aspects. But Im a fat person. I am well aware of the casual, normalized feeling of addiction.
Old 09-12-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Friends and relatives that know I vape weed keep sending me stories about this issue. I'm getting a little tired of telling them that I don't even vape oil so this has nothing to do with what I vape (dry flower), they either have no idea about the difference or don't read the whole story, just the headline (which face it, is very common these days, who has time to read a whole article!). Oh well, I guess it's nice to see that they care enough to worry.
Old 09-12-19, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Despite the mystery surrounding these deaths/illness, the American Vaping Association was pretty quick to blame THC products, I wonder why:

E-cigarettes, also known as vapes, have gained in popularity since they were introduced to the U.S. market. Billed as a healthier alternative to cigarettes, most of the companies that created them are now owned by Big Tobacco.

E-Cigarettes ? OpenSecrets
Now it makes sense.
Old 09-12-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh I'm not surprised at all. Big tobacco blames THC products, legal makers of THC products blame makers of illicit THC products, etc. So far the issue seems to be the vitamin E acetates in some THC cartridges, but I highly doubt the oils used in e-cigarettes are squeaky clean either. I've heard that the flavoring that some use could be harmful as well. Since the FDA barely regulates e-cigarettes I guess their users are the guinea pigs right now, and once more health issues start to appear the blame game will continue.
Old 09-12-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Friends and relatives that know I vape weed keep sending me stories about this issue. I'm getting a little tired of telling them that I don't even vape oil so this has nothing to do with what I vape (dry flower), they either have no idea about the difference or don't read the whole story, just the headline (which face it, is very common these days, who has time to read a whole article!). Oh well, I guess it's nice to see that they care enough to worry.
If they're not familiar with vaping, even if they read the whole article how do they know (without you telling them) that you're vaping dry flower and not oil?

Now if you tell them and they STILL bug you, then yeah, annoying.
Old 09-12-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It would be kind of funny if it turned out that tainted black market pot vapes was what caused the government to finally do something about candy flavored vapes targeted at kids. It's like the government said "Oh, there's a problem? Let's fix something tangentially related to it!"
Old 09-12-19, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Most non users still equate consuming cannabis with rolling huge joints that are going to stink up an entire city. Even if you say "I'm vaping weed" not rolling joints, they have no idea what that implies (vaping flower vs concentrates, etc.).
Old 09-12-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

It would be kind of funny if it turned out that tainted black market pot vapes was what caused the government to finally do something about candy flavored vapes targeted at kids. It's like the government said "Oh, there's a problem? Let's fix something tangentially related to it!"
I know it seems backwards but there are far more "black market" regular vape products than THC. Also, there are people who mix their own vape juice. We have no idea how that factors into these reports.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.