Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Bank accidentally deposited $120,000 in a couple’s account. Couple charged with theft.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Bank accidentally deposited $120,000 in a couple’s account. Couple charged with theft.

Old 09-12-19, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Bank accidentally deposited $120,000 in a couple’s account. Couple charged with theft.

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
So you was receiving his salary and he was receiving yours? And if so you didn't question why you was getting more money?
yeah that’s what happened. I was working a shitload of overtime that summer so I figured that was it. It just so happens he was working more.
Old 09-12-19, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Bank accidentally deposited $120,000 in a couple’s account. Couple charged with theft.

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Exactly. You shouldn't keep a ton of money in checking. I keep a bare minimum in my checking account - just enough to cover the monthly bills, and after they're paid off, I have around one thousand in my checking - my actual money is in savings, stocks, bonds, IRA, property, etc.

*edit - Hokeyboy beat me to it
While I keep more than $1,000 in my checking for emergencies, I'll confess the majority of my own savings are tied up into my 401K and CDs.
Old 09-12-19, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My goal is to keep checking at $0. I leave enough to cover the non-credit card monthlies. We have a reserve in savings in case paycheck gets messed up to give us a couple of weeks for it to get fixed (it has happened). Rest is invested. I get free trades through work so hubs does a lot of trading. That includes bonds which we can buy and sell at leisure. He has a mathematical percentage he keeps in stocks and bonds All money (paychecks, etc.) gets thrown to investments and once a month we move money to checking to pay off the credit cards.
Old 09-12-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My checking account is kept to a minimum -- receives my weekly direct deposit (much of which is invested elsewhere), contains enough to pay regularly scheduled bills, credit card statements, plus a couple hundred bucks as a buffer. Generally around $1000 at any given time. Wife has a separate checking with the same principle.

Higher interest-bearing Savings account has six months salary from both my wife and myself. Liquid and instantly accessible in case of emergencies or sudden, out-of-nowhere expenses (blown AC, maintenance/repairs, etc.). Always replenished to stay at that 6 months level.

The rest is invested in several different set programs. Money sitting in a checking account is doing nothing for you.
Old 09-14-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
I hope they enjoy prison. They're truly mentally defective. Who has only $1121 in a bank account?.
More than 80% of Americans.