Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Bank accidentally deposited $120,000 in a couple’s account. Couple charged with theft.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Bank accidentally deposited $120,000 in a couple’s account. Couple charged with theft.

Old 09-09-19, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Bank accidentally deposited $120,000 in a couple’s account. Couple charged with theft.

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Mingling with the commoners? if this is a checking account then lots of people.
Exactly. You shouldn't keep a ton of money in checking. I keep a bare minimum in my checking account - just enough to cover the monthly bills, and after they're paid off, I have around one thousand in my checking - my actual money is in savings, stocks, bonds, IRA, property, etc.

*edit - Hokeyboy beat me to it
Old 09-09-19, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Bank accidentally deposited $120,000 in a couple’s account. Couple charged with theft.

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
Exactly. You shouldn't keep a ton of money in checking. I keep a bare minimum in my checking account - just enough to cover the monthly bills, and after they're paid off, I have around one thousand in my checking - my actual money is in savings, stocks, bonds, IRA, property, etc.

I get paid Friday. Right now I have a whopping $45.27 in checking.
Old 09-09-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

I know a few people who just never have any money. I mean if I gave them $120k they'd still have no money. They have good jobs too .. they just choose to spend it as soon as they get it. I would stress out too much living that way but it works for them. Until there's a problem or emergency and then the take a break from posting their pictures of new cars, tv's, and stuff to talk about how they have no money for some upcoming surgery and popup one of those go fund me pages.
Old 09-09-19, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I can't recall how long it takes for an interest-accruing savings account, like Ally, to start generating interest. I assume it's payed out monthly, but if it's daily, and starts immediately, they could have had at least a couple of weeks to make a little bit. Personally, if I saw that happen, I'd be calling the bank ASAP.
Most online savings accounts start to earn interest the day they are opened based on the initial deposit. At 2% for two and a half weeks they would have made around $110 but at least they won’t be looking at prisoner time.
Old 09-09-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
OP's thread title is missing like the most crucial information: that they spent the money. Not even a ... between the two statements.
Title of the article surpassed the forum's title character limit.
Old 09-09-19, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I know a few people who just never have any money. I mean if I gave them $120k they'd still have no money. They have good jobs too .. they just choose to spend it as soon as they get it. I would stress out too much living that way but it works for them. Until there's a problem or emergency and then the take a break from posting their pictures of new cars, tv's, and stuff to talk about how they have no money for some upcoming surgery and popup one of those go fund me pages.
I have in-laws that did this. They were broke, couldn't afford medical bills (in Canada even), behind on mortgage, utilities, always on the verge of losing everything, constantly borrowing money from people otherwise, blah blah bad thing will happen. Then parents pass away a year apart, everyone got a decent inheritance, right around $100k each. Suddenly poor in-laws are taking a family vacation in the bahamas, basically living large. Then maybe 6 months later, they are back on the verge of losing their house, etc, begging family for money again.
Old 09-09-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post

OK, OK! I failed the mental comprehension exam, since I didn't realize it was just a checking account and not a savings account. Keeping lots of money in a checking account usually isn't a good idea, but it just struck me as odd they'd have such a small amount. $1100 doesn't even pay one month's rent, one car emergency breakdown repair, or one month's food -- for one person -- where I live. But, then, the minimum wage is $15 per hour, and the benefits for the indigents are very generous, things like $49 a month for Section 8 housing, etc. Hell, even a mere handyman in my city tries to charge $100 per hour. No joke! There really is a dicotomy, I'm certain the "average" per capita yearly income in my county is well over $100k per year, but then you've got "the other half" who make nothing, or close to it, to whom $1121 is a lot of money in a bank account.
Old 09-09-19, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't check out the source link, but I don't see anywhere in the story above stating that it was specifically their checking account. As far as we know, it might have been their only bank account. Not everyone has thousands of dollars in a savings account, you'd be surprised how many do not. I personally know more than one person in that situation (fortunately I am not one of them).
Old 09-09-19, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by PerryD View Post
I have in-laws that did this. They were broke, couldn't afford medical bills (in Canada even), behind on mortgage, utilities, always on the verge of losing everything, constantly borrowing money from people otherwise, blah blah bad thing will happen. Then parents pass away a year apart, everyone got a decent inheritance, right around $100k each. Suddenly poor in-laws are taking a family vacation in the bahamas, basically living large. Then maybe 6 months later, they are back on the verge of losing their house, etc, begging family for money again.
This is very common, and the exact reason why lottery winners almost always go broke.
Old 09-09-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Tons of people spend way beyond their means. If they make more money, they just spend more money. Hey, gotta keep up with the Jones, who cares about savings, look at the nice cars and boats I have in my driveway that aren't even close to being paid off.
Old 09-09-19, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Dumbasses. Years ago I was told an employee where I work got an extra $700+ on his check. Sure enough, he didn't call to check it out, spent it, and was shocked when they figured out the mistake months later and wanted the money back.

Had a friend get an extra several hundred dollars on her account and she immediately withdrew it and bought a used car. Don't know if the bank ever called her on it.
Old 09-09-19, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Shit, I've been known to give back wrong(extra) change from cashiers. That shit comes back at you if you don't fix it.
Old 09-09-19, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Dumbasses. Years ago I was told an employee where I work got an extra $700+ on his check. Sure enough, he didn't call to check it out, spent it, and was shocked when they figured out the mistake months later and wanted the money back.

Had a friend get an extra several hundred dollars on her account and she immediately withdrew it and bought a used car. Don't know if the bank ever called her on it.
I was given more than i was supposed to for a few pay checks. They asked for it back or they said they would auto deduct it from my paycheck.
Old 09-09-19, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB) View Post
I was given more than i was supposed to for a few pay checks. They asked for it back or they said they would auto deduct it from my paycheck.
When I first joined my current company, I filled out paperwork for direct deposit and such. Apparently, I was sent a paper check for my first paycheck and I didn't cash it.

Years later, I was reading the Tribune section for unclaimed property, and saw my name listed. Sure enough, my company, who I was still working for, was trying to claim my uncashed check, rather than look me up in the directory and reissue the check.
Old 09-10-19, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Shit, I've been known to give back wrong(extra) change from cashiers. That shit comes back at you if you don't fix it.
I am super vigilant about counting my change back for another, less altruistic reason: in my early twenties I worked retail as a second job and ran across more than one dishonest coworker who would shortchange customers on purpose and keep the difference.
Old 09-10-19, 02:07 PM

My first job paid $54 per week. I stood in a long line at the bank to cash my check. This was on an Army base, so the lines on the 1st and 15th involved several hundred people. The cashier handed me the cash and I stepped outside. She had given me $540 by mistake. I actually got right back in line and gave her back the money. She was so grateful, even telling me she would have been fired.

For several years, I was deep in credit card debt after two divorces in two years. Every paycheck went toward paying off my debt. I rarely had more than $30 in my checking account after paying bills.
Old 09-10-19, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
This is very common, and the exact reason why lottery winners almost always go broke.
Years ago I saw a news story about a couple who had been caught embezzling from the state. They were working for the state, and stole less than a hundred thousand dollars.

In the helicopter shot of their property, I saw a cheap mobile home on a cheap dirt lot, two giant pickup trucks, a car, a boat, and jet skis. The idiots must have thought that the money would keep rolling in forever, and made down payments on a bunch of expensive toys. It only lasted for a couple of months before they were arrested.

If $100k turned up in my checking account, I'd probably leave it there and let it accrue that 1.5% interest. The credit union might withdraw the principal and allow me to keep the interest. I'd make the argument that I should get the interest, because if I had made it difficult it would have cost them a lot more than that.
Old 09-11-19, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Title of the article surpassed the forum's title character limit.
Bank put $120k in acct, couple spent, charged with theft.

Old 09-11-19, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are so many similar stories of people who think they've struck it rich, and the first thing they do is buy a bunch of crap.

I remember a case where a family got one of those sweepstakes envelopes that said "'you have won!' (could be what you hear when you return this entry)" and thought they had won millions of dollars. So they went out and bought the usual items, big pickup trucks. When they learned they had not won, they tried to sue. The judge didn't buy it.

The envelopes now say, "You may have won!"
Old 09-11-19, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A year or two ago we switched paycheck systems at work and all stubs became online only. Payroll fucked up and switched me with another employee and neither of us noticed for about two months. After it was caught I was forced to pay the other employee like 3,000. They were confused as to why I was upset.
Old 09-11-19, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
There are so many similar stories of people who think they've struck it rich, and the first thing they do is buy a bunch of crap.

I remember a case where a family got one of those sweepstakes envelopes that said "'you have won!' (could be what you hear when you return this entry)" and thought they had won millions of dollars. So they went out and bought the usual items, big pickup trucks. When they learned they had not won, they tried to sue. The judge didn't buy it.

The envelopes now say, "You may have won!"
Even then it's not enough for some people. My mother in law got one of those, and immediately thought she had won big. She was calling everyone saying what she was going to do for them, what she was going to buy, etc. When my wife told me, I just laughed and said we'd see what the next couple of days brought. Sure enough, she hadn't won anything. Fortunately she hadn't bought anything yet.
Old 09-11-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
I am super vigilant about counting my change back for another, less altruistic reason: in my early twenties I worked retail as a second job and ran across more than one dishonest coworker who would shortchange customers on purpose and keep the difference.
Yeah, that goes on A LOT. Most people don't notice if they're being shorted a dollar or so.

Sometimes it might be an honest mistake, but it usually happens against the customer. I generally try to keep a lot of ones and fives on me so I can make exact change. A couple of weeks ago I bought something at a food truck for six dollars, paid with a ten, and they only gave me three dollars back. I brought it up, and they gave me my dollar back and apologized. That they didn't even question if I was being honest makes me suspicious.

About ten years ago I was at an outdoor festival concert, sponsored by an energy drink. I was sitting in an outdoor bar -- basically a tent where you could go buy beer and three dollar bottles of water and sit. I was sitting in there drinking free energy drinks (they had an iced barrel full of free mini cans) and watching the guy at the bar. Someone would go up, ask for a beer, the bartender would take their money (usually a ten) for a $6 cup of beer, walk away, fill up a cup, bring it back, and not give back any change. After watching him do this a couple of times, I started telling the people buying beer "Hey, man, don't forget your change!" until the bartender stopped ripping people off. The guy was looking daggers at me the whole time I was in there. The bastard was probably clearing over a hundred an hour. And the fucker probably started doing it again after I left the tent.

Old 09-11-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
A couple of weeks ago I bought something at a food truck for six dollars, paid with a ten, and they only gave me three dollars back. I brought it up, and they gave me my dollar back and apologized. That they didn't even question if I was being honest makes me suspicious.
One stupid dollar isn't worth arguing with a customer. It's easier, faster and better customer service just to give them a dollar.
Old 09-11-19, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
A year or two ago we switched paycheck systems at work and all stubs became online only. Payroll fucked up and switched me with another employee and neither of us noticed for about two months. After it was caught I was forced to pay the other employee like 3,000. They were confused as to why I was upset.
So you was receiving his salary and he was receiving yours? And if so you didn't question why you was getting more money?
Old 09-12-19, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Yeah, that goes on A LOT. Most people don't notice if they're being shorted a dollar or so.
I'm sure the 7 Eleven down the street does this. I think I was out a cumulative ten bucks fifty cents at a time by the time I realized it. Just stopped going there.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.