Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you take anything to help you sleep?
Prescription (please specify, if want...)
35.29%
OTC (please specify, if want...)
52.94%
Home remedy (warm milk, etc.)
11.76%
Sex
5.88%
Drugs
17.65%
Other, please specify...
5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Do you take anything to help you sleep?

Old 09-01-19, 09:37 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Do you take anything to help you sleep?

I tried melatonin once. Hated it. Never feel asleep and gave me racing thoughts. I now stay away from any herbal, capsule, Advil pm, Zzzquil, Unisom, other OTC stuff, and vitamin type stuff.

I take a prescription called Remeron or generic Mirtazapine and sleep well with no drowsy side effects in morning. Pretty great actually. And haven’t even needed to increase too much, which sometimes you can build tolerance to certain meds.

They say that it’s primarily used as an anti-depressant, I think, but I just take it before bed and sleep pretty much through night. Dr. just gives it to me for sleep. Surprised it doesn’t present itself more as sleep-aid/inducer/whatever because at least for me, very effective as such, rather than anti-depressant. I guess if it doesn’t make me sad that’s a bonus. But have to use for sleep.

Anyone else take any thing to help you sleep? Prescription, otc, or other, like home remedies such as the warm milk and whatever else mom tried to concoct to help sleep as kid? Sex, of course, pretty good inducer as well. I guess even drugs.

Maybe make this an anonymous poll so as not to embarrass or call out. Should be anonymous, unless you feel like you want to discuss, of course, but this shouldn’t be mandatory. And I guess multiple choices might be applicable...

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-01-19 at 09:54 PM.
Old 09-01-19, 09:45 PM

Re: Do you take anything to help you sleep?

We use melatonin with the kids but I've always been able to fall asleep immediately. I will say when I had a sleep study and got a CPAP I now have the best sleep of my life.
Old 09-01-19, 09:51 PM

I take Trazodone. It truly has been a miracle drug for me in terms of getting a good night's sleep.
Old 09-01-19, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I fall asleep quickly but I have a sleep cycle with active dreams that often wakes me up after 5 to 5.5 hours of sleep, just under what I need so I often am sleep deprived. Anything over 6, I'm usually good. I've never slept more than 7 hours as an adult. I've only tried melotonin, but I can't tell if it does anything.
Old 09-01-19, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I take Trazodone. It truly has been a miracle drug for me in terms of getting a good night's sleep.
I tried that once, but did nothing. Like melatonin. Little drowsy, but did not put me to sleep at all...
Old 09-01-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A simple melatonin gummy.

Oddly, Claritin makes me sleep great too.

With both, Iíve tried them and frequent use kills the effect. I do it maybe once a week.

Thc edibles make me so sleepy too.

Sex works too.

A very dark dark room makes a big difference too. Like turn off everything. No computer monitor or anything.
Old 09-01-19, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone here smoke marijuana to help them sleep? I heard Marijuana is good for people that have a hard time sleeping. I don't smoke it.
Old 09-01-19, 10:16 PM

I don’t think it exactly makes you sleepy, but in combo with others may add effect. But wouldn’t smoke and then just fall asleep. Doesn’t do that for me. I think it does help with aforementioned...

Last edited by OldBoy; 09-02-19 at 10:07 AM.
Old 09-01-19, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
A simple melatonin gummy.

Oddly, Claritin makes me sleep great too.
Claritin is an antihistamine so it's not at all odd that it makes you sleepy. It is however a "non-sedating" one. If that makes you sleepy, more sedating antihistamines should work better.. Benedryl (diphenhyrdamine) should work way better for you in that regard (Or Tylenol PM which contains Benedryl). Zyrtec should also be more sedating than Claritin.

I don't know how well it works for adults but if I have a child in my office who can't get to sleep (usually due to ADHD medication) and meletonin doesn't help, I will write for 0.1 or 0.2mg Clonidine at bedtime. It's a blood pressure medication and a tiny dose seems to knock most out really well. I'd bet it's safer and cheaper than Trazadone.
Old 09-01-19, 10:33 PM

Yeah, I thought Claritin’s pseudoephedrine in it actually keeps you awake. Not like caffeine awake, but the D is the non-drowsy so seems odd. Benadryl, I know pharmacists recommend to help breath and sleep. And treat itchy rashes...
Old 09-01-19, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Yeah, I thought Claritin pseudoephedrine in it that actually keeps you awake. Not like caffeine awake, but it the D is non-drowsy so seems odd. Benadryl, I know pharmacists recommend to help breath and sleep.
Well Claritin D has a shit ton of pseudoephederine in it (which can be used to make Meth as we all know). That will keep you up all night. But regular Claritin doesn't have any. It's just a non-sedating antihistamine.
Old 09-01-19, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Groucho: I used to take Trazadone back in the early 1990s for depression. I was living in a third-storey brownstone steam-heated apartment in midtown Kansas City in those days and one night there was a fire alarm in the hallway and my neighbors had to use their key, come in, and wake me up because that shit had me so zonked. I had my doc switch me to something else.

I have been using a CPAP machine for about fifteen years and for me, the donning of the mask seems to be a natural sedative. If I need to, I will switch on a YouTube video of blizzard sounds or rainstorm sounds or something like that and listen to it until I drop off. Since passing fifty a few years back I don't sleep as soundly as I used to, but any drugs I've ever taken for sleeping just hit me like a sledgehammer, so I stay away from them. When I was at my dad's in Michigan in May, I'd forgotten to bring the mask and hose for my CPAP and you can't just grab one at Target, so instead I bought some OTC sleep aid. I took it and didn't wake up till noon. To be fair, my dad lives in the middle of the woods of the eastern Upper Peninsula and I *always* sleep more soundly there just because it's so quiet, but no way was I going to sleep away half my vacation, so I didn't use the pills again.
Old 09-01-19, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I usually don't take anything but on a few occasions have used melatonin with mixed results. Back when I was a kid, used to take a couple swigs of Vicks44.
Old 09-01-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Melatonin and hydroxyzine. It's an extra anxiety medication but helps with insomnia too.
Old 09-01-19, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Does anyone here smoke marijuana to help them sleep? I heard Marijuana is good for people that have a hard time sleeping. I don't smoke it.
I vape it rather than smoke it, and it works for me. It also helped me kick what was becoming a bad booze habit too. It comes with issues of its own, like everything does, but honestly I'll take it over pills or booze at this point.
Old 09-01-19, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I vape it rather than smoke it, and it works for me. It also helped me kick what was becoming a bad booze habit too. It comes with issues of its own, like everything does, but honestly I'll take it over pills or booze at this point.
That's great to hear and I couldn't agree more @pills & booze.

If they were to legalize it in NYC I would vape it as well.
Old 09-01-19, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Me too, I take one 100 mg before bed and I sleep like a baby.
Old 09-02-19, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What about eating Cherries?
Old 09-02-19, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
Melatonin and hydroxyzine. It's an extra anxiety medication but helps with insomnia too.
It's a strong antihistamine that has anxiolytic effects.
So like Benedryl but stronger. We use it for severe hives and itching
Old 09-02-19, 05:07 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Not yet.

And I hope to not have to for quite some time. I still manage a natural falling asleep at night, and a natural awakening the next day.

Clearing your mind completely before getting into bed, sleeping in a dark, quiet, cool room with a window slightly open, *without* anything in it but the comfortable bed itself, no TV or gadgets, etc also makes getting to sleep pleasant and quick for me. And, of course, only getting into that bed when I'm actually tired.

Now, not being on any meds at all during the day, I hope never to come to a point where, as a result of taking one med during the day, I will be "forced" to take a pill to get to sleep at night.
Old 09-02-19, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Milk along with some kind of "got milk" food. Cookies, cake, pie, etc. Ice cream does the trick too. Nothing works better than pizza. Must be the hot cheese. Problem I have is that I fall asleep like turning off a switch and sleep lick a rock for about five hours, then wake up rip roaring and ready to go, but it's 3am and there's nothing to do.
Old 09-02-19, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm generally a light sleeper, especially when it comes to noise. I can fall asleep easily, but staying asleep all night was tough. For quite a few years, I took melatonin, but noticed that the effect was waning. Plus, if I didn't take it, I'd be up for hours wondering if it was because of missing the dosage. I stopped it altogether, which was a rough week or two, but if there wasn't any noise, I slept a good 7 or so hours. I then tried noise machines, fans, earplugs (even custom fit), or all three. My kids, who woke up crying or screaming every night, woke me up after a few hours, and I couldn't go back to sleep.

Finally, I found the Bose Sleepbuds. They only produce white noise while passively blocking exterior sounds, although they do use your phone's alarm to play a sound through the buds. Those things have been a lifesaver. I can sleep through almost any noise now, since I have them set to the highest volume level. They are expensive, and I've had some quality issues (which Bose has immediately replaced at no cost), but I can get a full night sleep now without taking anything.

In the off chance I'm way too awake, and need to get some sleep, I'll take a Tylenol PM. One of those will get me to sleep pretty quickly, and if I only get 4-5 hrs, I don't wake up too groggy. Standard OTC sleeping pills make me all messed up for hours into the next day.
Old 09-02-19, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So do I. It helps me get to sleep, but more importantly, it keeps me asleep. Before the prescription, I could fall asleep, but would wake up several times overnight.
Old 09-02-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
That's great to hear and I couldn't agree more @pills & booze.

If they were to legalize it in NYC I would vape it as well.
Thanks, the best thing about it is that I wake up clear headed and refreshed. Whenever I used booze or pills I woke up groggy and unrested, so I don't miss that at all, it really sucked.

Friends and coworkers in NY (and NYC) tell me it's getting closer to legal there, I know a number of people that are really looking forward to that.

Originally Posted by mndtrp View Post
I'm generally a light sleeper, especially when it comes to noise. I can fall asleep easily, but staying asleep all night was tough. For quite a few years, I took melatonin, but noticed that the effect was waning. Plus, if I didn't take it, I'd be up for hours wondering if it was because of missing the dosage. I stopped it altogether, which was a rough week or two, but if there wasn't any noise, I slept a good 7 or so hours. I then tried noise machines, fans, earplugs (even custom fit), or all three. My kids, who woke up crying or screaming every night, woke me up after a few hours, and I couldn't go back to sleep.

Finally, I found the Bose Sleepbuds. They only produce white noise while passively blocking exterior sounds, although they do use your phone's alarm to play a sound through the buds. Those things have been a lifesaver. I can sleep through almost any noise now, since I have them set to the highest volume level. They are expensive, and I've had some quality issues (which Bose has immediately replaced at no cost), but I can get a full night sleep now without taking anything.
I hear you on this one (pun somewhat intended). I'm an incredibly light sleeper and have very sensitive hearing, so it doesn't take much noise to wake me up. I've been using a fan for over 30 years to give me the white noise I need to sleep (and a noise app on my phone if I'm not sleeping at home). If I don't have that, I cannot fall asleep. I'd be curious about trying something like you mention, but am worried that feeling earbuds in my ears while trying to sleep will have a negative effect for me, not sure if I could sleep with those in.
Old 09-02-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't take anything. I tried taking melatonin every night for a while, but I decided that I didn't want to risk changing my sleep hormones, because then I might be really screwed. If I'm really wound up, I'll drink half of a shot of vodka, just enough to take the edge off, but small enough a dose that it will process quickly.

When I wake up in the middle of the night and I can't get back to sleep, I watch TV in the living room until I feel drowsy again. It only happens about once or twice a month.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.