Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you take anything to help you sleep?
Prescription (please specify, if want...)
35.29%
OTC (please specify, if want...)
52.94%
Home remedy (warm milk, etc.)
11.76%
Sex
5.88%
Drugs
17.65%
Other, please specify...
5.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Do you take anything to help you sleep?

Old 09-02-19, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Do you take anything to help you sleep?

I take one of those otc Benedryl sleep aid pills. It doesnít take effect too fast so I go to sleep normally, but it keeps me asleep longer. Usually through the night.
Old 09-02-19, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've saved all the threads that OldBoy has started. I just start reading through them and I'm out in no time.
Old 09-02-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by astrochimp View Post
I've saved all the threads that OldBoy has started. I just start reading through them and I'm out in no time.
Old 09-02-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-02-19, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Forget sleep. Enough to put someone in a coma.
Old 09-02-19, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I use whiskey. I have a really hard time falling asleep typically. I can’t turn off my brain. I don’t have to piss in the middle of the night, but if the cat wakes me up, it’s really difficult for me to fall asleep again.
Without the booze, I’d never sleep.
Old 09-02-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a terrible time falling asleep so I take a Ambien and a melatonin right before I go to bed.
Old 09-02-19, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Groucho: I used to take Trazadone back in the early 1990s for depression. I was living in a third-storey brownstone steam-heated apartment in midtown Kansas City in those days and one night there was a fire alarm in the hallway and my neighbors had to use their key, come in, and wake me up because that shit had me so zonked. I had my doc switch me to something else.
I worry about that myself, since sometimes it hits me pretty hard. Hopefully there is never an emergency in the middle of the night that would require me to wake up my own and/or drive.

I've tried Hydroxyzine in the past as well. The first time it completely knocked me out and I felt groggy and drugged well into the next morning. But subsequent tries had little to no effect.
Old 09-02-19, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In order: bong rips, choking the choat, chocolate, and prescription benzos when needed
Old 09-03-19, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

How can a poll that asks 'Do you take anything that helps you sleep?", not have an option for "No"?
Old 09-03-19, 06:14 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

5mg Melatonin, works well enough. I'm not taking prescription medication unless my life depends on it.
Old 09-03-19, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Does anyone here smoke marijuana to help them sleep? I heard Marijuana is good for people that have a hard time sleeping. I don't smoke it.
Yes. Both strains make me so sleepy. I'm not a fun stoner. It just makes me nap, no matter if I smoke or eat it. And it'll make me REALLY sleep if I take an edible around 5PM. To the point where I can barely wake up at 5AM. Which is a good thing.

I only ever smoked weed once before I was 34 (a year ago). I think that the numbing and sleeping effects are great.
Old 09-03-19, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

I used to be one of those "out like a light" folks, but as I entered my 40s started tossing and turning. For the past several years I've been taking a 10mg melatonin tab an hour before desired bedtime. Works pretty good!
Old 09-03-19, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I'd be curious about trying something like you mention, but am worried that feeling earbuds in my ears while trying to sleep will have a negative effect for me, not sure if I could sleep with those in.
I had been using earplugs for a while, so the earbuds weren't too much of a change. They are very small, and very soft. I do occasionally notice them, but not to the extent that they are uncomfortable. Bose returns apparently charge a 25% restocking fee, so it would make it tough to just try them out before deciding to keep them.
Old 09-03-19, 12:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
How can a poll that asks 'Do you take anything that helps you sleep?", not have an option for "No"?
Maybe he was high?
Old 09-03-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post
I use whiskey. I have a really hard time falling asleep typically. I can’t turn off my brain. I don’t have to piss in the middle of the night, but if the cat wakes me up, it’s really difficult for me to fall asleep again.
Without the booze, I’d never sleep.
I understand completely, that used to be me. The problem was it was taking more and more booze for it to work, and my quality of sleep and how I felt the next morning got shittier and shittier. I finally realized that this was not a good situation for me and would only get worse, and didn't want to use pills. So I tried cannabis, and luckily it works as far as helping me fall asleep as well as feeling rested the next morning.

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Yes. Both strains make me so sleepy. I'm not a fun stoner. It just makes me nap, no matter if I smoke or eat it. And it'll make me REALLY sleep if I take an edible around 5PM. To the point where I can barely wake up at 5AM. Which is a good thing.

I only ever smoked weed once before I was 34 (a year ago). I think that the numbing and sleeping effects are great.
Heh, that's me. I'm not a happy, giggling "stoner", I'm a relaxed, sleepy one, which is exactly what I'm looking for (and is why I only use it at night).

The only sleeping pill I ever tried was Zopiclone. It caused short term memory loss (couldn't remember conversations I had with my wife after I took the pill and before I went to bed) and everything I ate the next day had a weird metallic taste, so fuck those pills.
Old 09-03-19, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've always had a hard time falling asleep but once I did, zoommmmm... I'd never wake up until 8+ hours later. Now, I still have a hard time falling asleep, but I get up 5 times a night to go take a leak... Weed helps though, because it numbs the pain I have in my neck (herniated disk and severe "pinching" and osteoarthritis).

I had Zopiclone when I went to France and I had to take two for it to work.

I'm taking a muscle relaxant before I go to bed (cyclobenzaprine), and that does a better job at helping me sleep than zopiclone. The doctor also gave me oxy but I don't think I'm gonna take that.
Old 09-03-19, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Melatonin gummies, those work better than the pills
sometimes I drink Chamomile tea which helps me relax
Old 09-04-19, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I take this stuff a few times per week because I have late night workouts combined with PWO which forces me to stay up a few hours after. I'm usually in bed about 20-30 mins after taking this stuff.

https://steelsupplements.com/collect...sleep-recovery
Old 09-04-19, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post

I been giving it thought of smoking again. I tried it when I was in my early 20's and it made me super relax. The weed of today is stronger so it will probably knock me out.
Old 09-04-19, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I understand completely, that used to be me. The problem was it was taking more and more booze for it to work, and my quality of sleep and how I felt the next morning got shittier and shittier. I finally realized that this was not a good situation for me and would only get worse, and didn't want to use pills. So I tried cannabis, and luckily it works as far as helping me fall asleep as well as feeling rested the next morning.
:
I used to smoke weed about ten years ago. Never a lot, maybe three times a month. I quit when I started getting less relaxed and more and more paranoid. Iíve been thinking about starting again in hopes that it will help my anxiety and chronic pain.
Old 09-04-19, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I sleep maybe 5 or 6 hours but it is usually without no interruptions which is better than 12 hrs and multiple periods of waking up and then going back to sleep again
Old 09-04-19, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Toddarino View Post

I used to smoke weed about ten years ago. Never a lot, maybe three times a month. I quit when I started getting less relaxed and more and more paranoid. Iíve been thinking about starting again in hopes that it will help my anxiety and chronic pain.
I'd recommend an indica dominant 1:1 ratio THC/CBD strain. Indica is more relaxing and the CBD can help against anxiety (but of course, results can vary among individuals).
Old 09-04-19, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd recommend an indica dominant 1:1 ratio THC/CBD strain. Indica is more relaxing and the CBD can help against anxiety (but of course, results can vary among individuals).
thanks for the tip. Iíll have to do some searching.
Old 09-10-19, 02:24 PM

I used to have great difficulty falling asleep, tossing and turning for hours most nights. Then I went to see a homeopathic physician and he put me on these supplements:

Adrecor (helps with adrenal fatigue)
Phosphatidylserine
Lavender Oil (rub on wrists and neck)
Cedarwood Oil (same)

Since starting this regimen, I have never slept better. It changed my life.