Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Whatever happened to Marie Callender Frozen Dinners(price and quality).

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 09-01-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

They aren't like they used too be.

I will be checking the prices on Stouffers and Hungry Man because Marie Callender no longer are a bargain and fiber content is not the same with less vegetables or other things missing from this once proud brand name.

Didn't Salisbury Steak Dinners come with green beans and now that's been replaced by mac and cheese plus garlic bread no longer included with the Spaghetti dinners.
Old 09-01-19, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Whatever happened to Marie Callender Frozen Dinners(price and quality).

I think the problem is that you're looking for quality in frozen dinners.
If they've actually declined in quality, I can't imagine how bad they actually are now.
Old 09-01-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I still like some Marie Callenderís frozen meals on occasion. Their chicken fettuccine and pot pies are good. The roast beef meals are decent too.
Old 09-01-19, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Iíll still buy Marie Callendar pot pies from time to time. Theyíre not bad for what they are.

In my early 20s, when I was first living on my own, Hungry Man dinners kept me alive ($1 Totinos party pizzas helped too). They were probably the best frozen dinner out there. Itís been quite a few years since Iíve had one so I donít know if the quality has declined or not but in the early 2000s they werenít bad.
Old 09-01-19, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those things smelled awful
Old 09-01-19, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life View Post
They aren't like they used too be.

I will be checking the prices on Stouffers and Hungry Man because Marie Callender no longer are a bargain and fiber content is not the same with less vegetables or other things missing from this once proud brand name.

Didn't Salisbury Steak Dinners come with green beans and now that's been replaced by mac and cheese plus garlic bread no longer included with the Spaghetti dinners.
I assume that they responded to customer feedback regarding the inclusion of carbs and fat instead of vegetables. Also, I'm guessing that the garlic bread required separate reheating instead of just sticking the whole thing in the microwave and walking away.
Old 09-01-19, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Iíll still buy Marie Callendar pot pies from time to time. Theyíre not bad for what they are.

In my early 20s, when I was first living on my own, Hungry Man dinners kept me alive ($1 Totinos party pizzas helped too). They were probably the best frozen dinner out there. Itís been quite a few years since Iíve had one so I donít know if the quality has declined or not but in the early 2000s they werenít bad.
Have you seen the Totino's Pizzas lately? They're the size of a god-damned compact disc!
Old 09-01-19, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Capitalism happened.

You're paying more money for lower quality and less product. Gotta keep that profit increasing and keep the margins up..

I generally like to keep a few frozen dinners around because they're convenient to throw in the oven when I want an easy meal. The MCs were usually of pretty good quality for a frozen meal if you heated them in the oven. But sometime last year, they replaced the plastic tray with a paper one, reduced the amount of food in it by about half, and at a general lower quality, too. They're fucking horrible now. I haven't bought any since.
Old 09-01-19, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
Have you seen the Totino's Pizzas lately? They're the size of a god-damned compact disc!
That sounds almost like Pizza Hut.
Old 09-01-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I havenít had one in about 10 years. Thatís too bad. They were cheap, and at the time, about the size of a large dinner plate.

Id still consider buying them for a weekend lunch or something but if theyíve halved the size of them then I wonít bother.

I do remember theyíve always skimped on the cheese. They were still good though.
Old 09-01-19, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Those cranberry apple deserts in the TV dinners were always like lava compared to the heat the others things absorbed.

The Pot Pies from Marie Calendars are still pretty good. There's a smaller sized one.. that's not enough. The larger one is closer to what they would server in the restaurant.
Old 09-01-19, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only frozen dinners that I've found that remain (almost) as good as "back in the day" ('70s to 80s) are Stouffer's. All of the others, especially including Swanson and Hungry Man, which used to be good to great in the '70s, heated in an oven (in the included aluminum tray!) have truly gone to shit. And when I reference "back in the day," I'm comparing them also to the higher standard of Mom's home cooking as well. The Swanson chicken pot pies used to be excellent, once in a whiile, much better than the current MC ones, because they were made with real chicken fat and beef tallow.

The only cheap frozen pizza which is still any decent is the Celeste pizza for one. But, it's now more like "pizza for 1/3rd" since the amount you get -- now down to less than 5 oz -- is only enough for the barest whetting of an appetite. You need to consume 2 more to feel satisfied. Back in the '80s, those used to contain a full 9 to 10 oz per pizza pie.

All other (current 2019) frozen meals are garbage, even when compared to fast-food places like Mac's and Taco Bell.

Very soon now, we'll by paying $5 for a frozen meal which is literally just the cardboard box, with no meal inside! The bastards!
Old 09-01-19, 08:59 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Marie Callender's Pot Pies taste good but they're mostly crust; have very little filling in them. Because they taste good, my wife buys them, then makes her own filling to supplement the piss poor amount MC gives you. I used to like Swanson pot pies the best, they tasted good, had just the right amount of crust, had enough filling, and were microwaveable. We haven't been able to find them for quite awhile, and even if we did they probably wouldn't be the same as they used to be.
Old 09-01-19, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
That sounds almost like Pizza Hut.
Yeah, about ten years ago (when they were running an ANY PIZZA, ANY SIZE FOR ONLY $10 promotion) they changed up the sizes so that what was once a medium pizza was now a large, and what was once a small was now a medium. And did away with the old large size entirely. I remember when this first happened, and they actually gave me a medium pizza in a large box. I complained, but they assured me that, yes, that was actually a large pizza despite swimming in the oversized box and having only eight slices. The old larges were cut into more, either ten or twelve, so it was glaringly obvious that it was a medium.

Old 09-01-19, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I used to get the MC Swedish meatballs now and then before I worked from home, but they were loaded with calories so sometimes I got the spaghetti instead. And yes, the bread had to be heated separately.
Old 09-01-19, 10:19 PM

I think you need to look again because Totino's switched from a box to a wrapper and to a same-size rectangle shape around three years ago so they're perfect to cook in a toaster oven or cook in a regular oven as two side by side on a baking sheet. It was a phenomenal move.
Old 09-01-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't buy frozen dinners very often myself but I understand the desire to have a few on hand for those days when you come home and just want something you can fix quickly. To be honest, when I'm in that kind of mood I either make a peanut butter and honey sandwich on whole wheat bread, or maybe a grilled cheese or fried egg sandwich, or stop at the supermarket deli and get something prepared by humans rather than robots.

We ate a lot of the pot pies when I was a kid and I agree with the others who've posted that in the sixties and seventies those actually were pretty good, if not as good as homemade (but what is?).
Old 09-01-19, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It has to have been at least a decade since I've had a frozen dinner. I did like those pot pies, especially the ones with the crust on the top AND bottom because I would flip it upside down and remove the foil container.
Old 09-02-19, 05:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I miss the Hungry Man dinner that was all white meat chicken. Came with corn, mashed potatoes, and apple cobbler. Can't remember the brand but there was a Mexican dinner of six enchiladas in gravy that would really put you away. Can't find the El Charrito Mexican dinners anywhere lately. The cheapo pizza I use to buy was Jeno's. They started out about 10 inches across and shrank and shrank until you can't find then at all. They got small enough I would just fold it over and eat it like a taco instead of cutting it. I'll pick up Totino's to have around for something quick. Picked up a bunch last week for .75. FYI, they're 10.8 ounces. My main go to anymore are Hot Pockets.
Years ago I used to eat a lot of Encore frozen lasagna from Aldi's for $2.00.
Remembered brand name of the six beef enchilada dinner. PATIO

Last edited by rw2516; 09-02-19 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-02-19, 09:09 AM
RIP

Used to love Torinoís pizzas and Hungry Mans. No more though. I just got too damn fat.
Old 09-02-19, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Foods are just so expensive in this day and age...and electronics cheaper (unless itís Apple brand).
Old 09-02-19, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
ITo be honest, when I'm in that kind of mood I either make a peanut butter and honey sandwich on whole wheat bread, or maybe a grilled cheese or fried egg sandwich, or stop at the supermarket deli and get something prepared by humans rather than robots.
Me, too. Frozen dinners have been terrible for decades. Swanson dinners in the aluminum trays, cooked in a conventional oven, were "fun" as kids, but quality-wise weren't that great then, and aren't that great now. What gets my goat is that if you buy "butter chicken with rice", and it's 14 total ounces, you know it's going to be 10 ounces of rice, 3 ounces of sauce and 1 ounce of chicken. My GF, an Aldi shopper, always wonders why no one outside Amy's makes a vegetable pot pie. Hell, if they put any LESS chicken in Aldi's chicken pot pies, they'll legally be vegetarian.

Old 09-02-19, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved tv dinner night as a kid. We did it once a week, and all ate as a family in front of the tv with our special little tv dinner tables. Looking back, the dinners themselves must have sucked (but then again, so did the casseroles mom made the other 6 nights of the week). But it was fun family time.

I don't eat a lot of tv dinners now, and the few I've had have been disappointing. I'd rather freeze my own. It's not 1/5 the price, but they do have 5x the meat.
Old 09-03-19, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Have you seen the retro versions of some foods? Chef-Boy-Are-De has retro versions of Beefaroni and Ravioli. Old style label, 50% more ingredients in same size can, price is 50% more. Campbells had some retro versions of their soups with more ingredients at twice the price.
Old 09-03-19, 06:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Have you seen the retro versions of some foods? Chef-Boy-Are-De has retro versions of Beefaroni and Ravioli. Old style label, 50% more ingredients in same size can, price is 50% more. Campbells had some retro versions of their soups with more ingredients at twice the price.
Isn't that basically an admission that the new stuff is crap? "More, better quality food than the stuff we're currently putting out!"

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.