Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

I just hooked up my old VCR to record stuff off of the dish network cable box thingy

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I just hooked up my old VCR to record stuff off of the dish network cable box thingy

Old 08-31-19, 02:05 AM

this recent Friday nigh anyway, few hours ago I dug out my old VCR and hooked it up to the dish network cable box thingy. Got all the cords in the right places and the old VCR still works.

Reason why I have it hooked up to the dish network box thingy is that im planning on recording episodes of some of the new tv shows and new movies that come on FXX and AXSHD etc. Alot of shows and stuff that I miss out on when im watching my main regular stuff such as Supernatural.

Stuff I never get to watch like Ancient Aliens off of History Channel or whatever comes. My opinion, i think its fun recording also any of the Marvel movies for VHS to pretty much save room and space. I still have two VHS recording tapes left and Im going to record certain stuff on those since some of the newer tv shows etc that i know of theyre informative stuff from History Channel or good old A&E.

Even TCM airs some old obscure stuff you would never expect to pop up on tv anymore.

Even stuff from the Svengoolie airings on METV.
Old 08-31-19, 03:16 AM

Re: I just hooked up my old VCR to record stuff off of the dish network cable box thingy

Is this to save on paying for DVR service?
Old 08-31-19, 04:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: I just hooked up my old VCR to record stuff off of the dish network cable box thingy

Originally Posted by urrutiap View Post
this recent Friday nigh anyway, few hours ago I dug out my old VCR and hooked it up to the dish network cable box thingy. Got all the cords in the right places and the old VCR still works.

Reason why I have it hooked up to the dish network box thingy is that im planning on recording episodes of some of the new tv shows and new movies that come on FXX and AXSHD etc. Alot of shows and stuff that I miss out on when im watching my main regular stuff such as Supernatural.

Stuff I never get to watch like Ancient Aliens off of History Channel or whatever comes. My opinion, i think its fun recording also any of the Marvel movies for VHS to pretty much save room and space. I still have two VHS recording tapes left and Im going to record certain stuff on those since some of the newer tv shows etc that i know of theyre informative stuff from History Channel or good old A&E.

Even TCM airs some old obscure stuff you would never expect to pop up on tv anymore.

Even stuff from the Svengoolie airings on METV.
You're my hero. I have thousands of VHS tapes that I recorded stuff on over the years. When I need to record something new, I find an old tape that I know I'm never going to watch again, esp. if it's got films I now own on DVD, and use that to tape. Endless recycling.

And, yes, in answer to Skywalker8, it's to avoid paying extra for DVR.

However, since I retired I'm able to sit at home and watch movies on TCM and the Western Channel as they air, so I feel no need to record them. So I'm taping less now.
Old 08-31-19, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I have my DVR hooked up to a SVD Recorder (via S-Video) that I use to record things I want to keep. Concerts and stuff like that. Most of it ends up on youtube now anyway, so I don't use it much since I can go to a youtube download site and get it in better quality.
Old 08-31-19, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use a DVD recorder with hard drive for stuff I want to burn to disc and keep in case there is no BD release. I wait until the episodes are available on demand without all the pop ups and local logos, record to HD, edit out ads, burn to disc. Toss them if BD becomes available. Recording Pennyworth right now just in case.
For just watching I use cable box's DVR.
Old 08-31-19, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

About a year ago, I hooked up a VCR for the first time in years. It promptly ate the first tape I tried to play. Then I remembered why I hated that fucking format.
Old 08-31-19, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

VC-what now?
Old 08-31-19, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In response to the Alan Smithee thread, I played an old home-recorded VHS tape. The video was of such low quality that I couldn't watch it. The tapes (mostly) went into the trash, and the player went into the closet with about six tapes that I couldn't part with. I don't expect to use it again.
Old 08-31-19, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's interesting how satisfied we were watching those shows on those tapes.
Old 08-31-19, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have a Magnavox DVD/VHS recorder hooked up thru my DVR as well and I'm constantly burning movies onto DVD from TCM and the other cable channels. Also certain programs on REELZ as well. Gotten a lot of hard to find, not on DVD (yet or maybe ever) stuff this way. Nice!
Old 08-31-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
I still watch lots of stuff on tape. I have tons of anime tapes that never came out in other formats, e.g. this Osamu Tezuka classic:

Old 08-31-19, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
and watching and renting movies on those things

Too bad DVD recorders are rare and not that easy to find and there are no Blu-ray recorders you can hook up to your TV
Old 08-31-19, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I find it peculiar how technology seems to continue to progress and improve, and how our perceptions of old technology change.
Old 09-01-19, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

In response to the Alan Smithee thread, I played an old home-recorded VHS tape. The video was of such low quality that I couldn't watch it.
Funny, I just dug this tape out to see what was on it, 37 years old and still plays like new:

They recorded this at SP, which I was too cheap to do, but even my EP speed recordings that I did myself look better than the average stuff that turns up on YouTube.