Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

It's 2019: Do you have up-to-date business cards, and do you actually use them?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you have up-to-date business cards?
YES, and I hand them out all the time.
15.79%
YES, but they're dormant in a box.
26.32%
NO, I do not.
57.89%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-19, 12:34 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

I don't, but I'd feel more special if I did.
I like when people hand them to me, if I'm interested in their products or services. But I hate when they hand them to me randomly, unsolicited.

Discuss.
Old 08-30-19, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: It's 2019: Do you have up-to-date business cards, and do you actually use them?

I only accept business cards in Bone with Silian Grail lettering.
Old 08-30-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: It's 2019: Do you have up-to-date business cards, and do you actually use them?

If you're not dealing with customers or potential customers on a regular basis, their main use in life is to try to win some gift card at the local restaurant (where they'll harvest your info and do... something with it)
Old 08-30-19, 01:24 PM
Admin-Thanos

I had business cards at my last job, but I'm more behind the scenes now, so I think I might not get any at this job. Losing business cards for a promotion is a small price to pay.
Old 08-30-19, 01:51 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yes, but only when I meet with people from foreign companies, especially Asian ones. First, everyone expects a business card and second it seems that everyone who has even the slightest interaction with you comes to the meeting, so it's not unusual that you give out 10 cards at a meeting. I used to bring 5 cards but quickly learned that it was not nearly enough.
Old 08-30-19, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't, and that's fine. I work on a college campus and I get handed business cards at meetings all the time, and it makes no sense to me. We all work on campus. If I need your contact info, I'll look it up in the online directory or check your department's website. I don't need your card, and I won't keep it. It will sit on my desk for a month, then I'll throw it away.
Old 08-30-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hand out maybe ten a year now, whenever I go to a conference or have a salesperson stop by the office to try to sell me something. I handed out many more when I worked in the print industry, as the card itself was a "product demonstration" of sorts.
Old 08-30-19, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

I've been issued business cards for every job I've had since 1995. I only needed cards for the jobs I held from 95-97. The rest just sit in boxes in the back of a drawer. When I meet someone who actually hands me one, I typically either already have their information or don't need their information.
Old 08-30-19, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't. My husband has them, and he also has them from old jobs. I used to take his old ones and write on the backs for therapy, but I've discovered blank business cards on Amazon. I have those and use them for certain kinds of speech therapy where you need to create your materials on the fly.
Old 08-30-19, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yes I do. But I only really give them out when doing interviews to fill positions.
Old 08-30-19, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, I have business cards, but I only use them in the case that I do work for somebody I haven't before at my company (I work in a support capacity for a big corporation) or, occasionally, outside work if I meet someone and want them to have my cell number (which is on it) and it's someone I don't think will call the main switchboard and ask if they can be connected to that raving bitch Vibiana. so I didn't vote in the poll because none of the options really fit.
Old 08-31-19, 12:23 AM

Huge swaths of my job is networking and I routinely give out hundreds of cards each year. At my last job, I added a back that had a "Let's connect on..." with a list of my areas of administration and expertise, including a fill-in-the-blank "Other" and people really liked it. Helped them remember why we wanted to connect in the first place. Some at work got cranky my card was different than the others. Sorry for the innovation that worked well for me.
Old 08-31-19, 06:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't have or need them. I do like receiving them though for two reasons. One, I'm horrible with names. Two, I'm a designer so I like seeing well designed cards.
Old 08-31-19, 08:17 AM

YES, but they're dormant in a box and my bag.
Old 08-31-19, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

No business cards. I have calling cards with a personal email address. I'll occasionally give one to someone at social events if I want to talk with them again.
Old 08-31-19, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Yes, but only when I meet with people from foreign companies, especially Asian ones. First, everyone expects a business card and second it seems that everyone who has even the slightest interaction with you comes to the meeting, so it's not unusual that you give out 10 cards at a meeting. I used to bring 5 cards but quickly learned that it was not nearly enough.
I work for a Japanese company- business cards are basically mandatory. Since some restructuring in the past couple years, I’ve been traveling more to visit vendors and partners so I’ve gotta have them to hand out. And I’ve got a good stack from the other people too that I’ve had to go through to find somebody to help with an issue so I’d say they’re a good thing to have.
Old 08-31-19, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Been working on the same box for about 8 years. Just got a promotion and we all got new cards so I’ll have a new box to never use.

I don’t want to carry a separate business card holder and they get too thrashed in my wallet. So I never have them on me.
Old 09-01-19, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes ... but my office address is wrong. I changed locations a few years ago due to the way our mileage reimbursement is calculated.

E-mail and phone are correct, but that’s all that matters. You can’t come see me and I’m never there anyway. 95% of my time is spent in the field or driving.

I usually just keep them in the car. Most of the time I will ask somebody their e-mail address or phone number and e-mail or text my contact info on the spot. No more lost business cards plus I have their info now too. If somebody offers me a card (which I actually want), I usually take a picture of it. Again, no more searching for that lost card.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 09-01-19 at 12:28 AM.
Old 09-02-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Beeper Salesman

Visit us @@@@

www.geocities.com/Canada/beepers/4538

Check us out on MySpace!

www.myspace.com/beepbeep

Yep, still checks out.
Old 09-02-19, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Old 09-02-19, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Vibiana View Post
Yes, I have business cards, but I only use them in the case that I do work for somebody I haven't before at my company (I work in a support capacity for a big corporation) or, occasionally, outside work if I meet someone and want them to have my cell number (which is on it) and it's someone I don't think will call the main switchboard and ask if they can be connected to that raving bitch Vibiana. so I didn't vote in the poll because none of the options really fit.
Huh. I tried it. The switchboard operator huffed and asked “Which
’raving bitch Vibiana’? Smith, Johnson, or Terwilliker?”

i panicked and hung up.