Hurricane Season 2019

Old 09-10-19, 09:26 AM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Hurricane Season 2019

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Aerial photos from the Bahamas:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-aerial-photos

Sounds like a portion of The Bahamas called the Abaco Islands got extra trashed.
Sometimes people debate whether a hurricane or earthquake causes more damage. The answer is obvious from these pictures. I've previously seen that kind of devastation only after super typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines in 2013. A typhoon is the Pacific equivalent of a hurricane, and Haiyan also had the power of a Cat 5 when it made landfall.
Old 09-10-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damage is dependent on the structures and how the entire layout of the communities are positioned in relation to seasonal winds and other weather extremes, as well as how well fortified and prioritized the utility companies have their products above ground.

One type of structure that can't be stressed enough...is round homes. Square and rectangular homes...might as well put a bulls-eye target on yourself.

Being prepared on such an island...instead of having very little integrity in the structures themselves...is just insane.

Let's promote structures that will last the next hurricane...not something half-assed.

In addition, these Deltec homes can be used anywhere there are major winds.
Old 09-10-19, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm sure they will revise building codes after this disaster to try and ensure the devastation is not as bad after they rebuild.
Old 09-10-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Psi View Post
Sometimes people debate whether a hurricane or earthquake causes more damage. The answer is obvious from these pictures. I've previously seen that kind of devastation only after super typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines in 2013. A typhoon is the Pacific equivalent of a hurricane, and Haiyan also had the power of a Cat 5 when it made landfall.
It depends.

Earthquakes can topple structures that could easily withstand a hurricane.

Hurricane damage generally seems to be more widespread than earthquakes, and there's also a lot of flooding that goes on. (Though earthquakes can also produce dangerous tsunamis that effect places that didn't even feel the earthquake that caused them.)

Old 09-10-19, 01:09 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Hurricane damage generally seems to be more widespread than earthquakes, and there's also a lot of flooding that goes on. (Though earthquakes can also produce dangerous tsunamis that effect places that didn't even feel the earthquake that caused them.)
It's the storm surge that usually causes trouble. There was no tsunami in Haiyan or Katrina but water goes far in low-lying places.
Old 09-10-19, 01:17 PM
Psi
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by jpcamb View Post
I'm sure they will revise building codes after this disaster to try and ensure the devastation is not as bad after they rebuild.
I'm afraid that you are thinking as an American. In these poorer countries, stricter building codes may apply to some public and commercial areas, but homes are built mainly for shelter and not to withstand category 5 hurricanes.
Old 09-10-19, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Damage is dependent on the structures and how the entire layout of the communities are positioned in relation to seasonal winds and other weather extremes, as well as how well fortified and prioritized the utility companies have their products above ground.

One type of structure that can't be stressed enough...is round homes. Square and rectangular homes...might as well put a bulls-eye target on yourself.

Being prepared on such an island...instead of having very little integrity in the structures themselves...is just insane.

Let's promote structures that will last the next hurricane...not something half-assed.

In addition, these Deltec homes can be used anywhere there are major winds.
One of the guys I work with has a topsiders home. I bet if the big one every hit here his house would still be standing. But I don't think it would have made a difference here because the storm surge would have swallowed up him home anyways.

https://www.topsiderhomes.com/
Old 09-10-19, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
Aerial photos from the Bahamas:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-aerial-photos

Sounds like a portion of The Bahamas called the Abaco Islands got extra trashed.
What's even worse is it seems like a lot of the ports have been destroyed or damaged so getting supplies there will be difficult for awhile. My church is collecting supplies for the Bahamas and I bought and donated a tent but it seems like such a trivial thing among such devastation.
Old 09-13-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

really sad. My kids daycare has been collecting things as well and i agree with what you said that even though its good, it feels like a pin drop of all the help needed.
Old 09-14-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Local weatherman showed a disturbance in the Atlantic. He said he probably won't happen but it could strengthen and hit the Bahamas in 10 days.
Looks like Humberto won't be a hurricane until the tropical storm passes over the Bahamas. They don't need more storms but it could be worse.