Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hurricane Season 2019

Old 09-06-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Hurricane Season 2019

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Was telling VinVega exactly where the hurricane was going to go and how the media was hyping it up, and he wrote me off. I'm not even a fucking scientist wizard ego dumbshit and yet I made a calculation based on previous knowledge, and was right. Gosh, go figure. I actually use the tools available and I come up with something that's pretty fucking accurate.

Jee Whiz, maybe DVD P was right about the media and even your weather gurus predicting global destruction at the expense of paranoia and hysteria and purposely putting disinformation out in the public just for selfish means to an end.

They love this shit. They want blood. They want chaos. They don't want you to believe that common sense rules. They don't want you think, period. They want you to believe THEM...nobody else.

Look at where the hurricane is now.

Should have listened to me.
The weather people put out the worst case scenarios to help save lives. it could just as easily have been much worse for this country. And I think folks in the Bahamas might disagree with your smiley face about the storm. Plus the destruction in the Carolinas too.

Iím sure there are cops who would love to shoot someone or a firefighter who loves it when a huge fire breaks out, but most donít wish for it. Journalists and meteorologists are the same. Itís not a fun thing to cover death and destruction but itís necessary.

Iím general a positive person who believes the best in people. But I also had to go out to cover tragedy and heartbreak too and it took a serious toll on me.

Saying people like me ďlove this shitĒ is insulting.
Old 09-06-19, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

30+ people confirmed dead on the islands with still MANY missing.
Old 09-06-19, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

The weather people put out the worst case scenarios to help save lives. it could just as easily have been much worse for this country. And I think folks in the Bahamas might disagree with your smiley face about the storm. Plus the destruction in the Carolinas too.

I’m sure there are cops who would love to shoot someone or a firefighter who loves it when a huge fire breaks out, but most don’t wish for it. Journalists and meteorologists are the same. It’s not a fun thing to cover death and destruction but it’s necessary.

I’m general a positive person who believes the best in people. But I also had to go out to cover tragedy and heartbreak too and it took a serious toll on me.

Saying people like me “love this shit” is insulting.
No, being a shill for the media...is insulting.

If you really want to argue the media is only concerned about safety...how many fucking news broadcasts have to do with safety every singly day---not just during some weather event---versus baseless accusations other than not liking something or someone, coming up with shit on the fly just to prove somebody else is "wrong" or "evil" or whatever else.

But yeah, keep on tooting your media horn.
Old 09-06-19, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No, being a shill for the media...is insulting.
As opposed to a shill for...whatever your nonsense is today? I'll take the media

If you really want to argue the media is only concerned about safety...how many fucking news broadcasts have to do with safety every singly day---not just during some weather event---versus baseless accusations other than not liking something or someone, coming up with shit on the fly just to prove somebody else is "wrong" or "evil" or whatever else.
We do safety stories all the time.

But yeah, keep on tooting your media horn.
I will. You keep tooting your irrational hatred and gross generalizations.
Old 09-06-19, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I am glad Dorian stayed off the coast as a strong storm, that was the prediction for a while but there's always that chance of a shift (or just strong outer bands). Sucks the Bahamas took the brunt of it though.

My folks were in one of the early predicted zones and were worried, their house wouldn't survive a Cat 4 or 5 by any stretch, so it was a bit of an ass puckerer early on.
Old 09-06-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Draven View Post

I will. You keep tooting your irrational hatred and gross generalizations.
You're telling us that it's irrational to criticize the media and that they aren't out to exploit their viewer base. Uhhh, ok. Maybe you're a local who actually has spine, but as noted earlier most of the media is a bunch of paranoia-laying bomb throwers who can't wait to report on a tragedy.

34 or so people died on a boat off the West Coast in one day, on one boat, and I don't see any safety messages from the major networks. Nope. Hardly a mention. It's all hurricane stories and emotional clips.

P.S. How many plastic straws have washed ashore due to Dorian. Would be curious to find out.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 09-06-19 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-06-19, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You're telling us that it's irrational to criticize the media and that they aren't out to exploit their viewer base. Uhhh, ok. Maybe you're a local who actually has spine, but as noted earlier most of the media is a bunch of paranoia-laying bomb throwers who can't wait to report on a tragedy.
There is a difference between reporting on a tragedy and thinking they CAN'T WAIT to report on a tragedy. That's what you don't seem to get. Do you think all firefighters "can't wait" for a huge devastating fire that kills people?

34 or so people died on a boat off the West Coast in one day, on one boat, and I don't see any safety messages from the major networks. Nope. Hardly a mention. It's all hurricane stories and emotional clips.
Saw plenty stories about the boat (there is one on CNN's front page above the fold right now). The investigation isn't over, so I don't know what you expect them to be out there saying about safety. And of course the hurricane gets more attention. It affects far more people.
Old 09-06-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's been tons of national and local coverage about the boat fire. Hardly a mention? GTFO
Old 09-06-19, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I've seen tons of news regarding the boat fire. Some folks need to twist things to match their narrative I suppose.
Old 09-07-19, 05:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Yeah, I've seen tons of news regarding the boat fire. Some folks need to twist things to match their narrative I suppose.
Speaking of, NPR just did an article, exposing that NOAA agreed with a certain Prez about Alabama being threatened, and NOAA attempted to hide that fact.

Talk about twisting things to fit your own agenda. Here we have major weather forecasting icon...being political.

Once again, more proof that weather forecasting is now politically biased and fear-based.

I'll take a no name local weather forecaster over these jerks, thanks.
Old 09-07-19, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Speaking of, NPR just did an article, exposing that NOAA agreed with a certain Prez about Alabama being threatened, and NOAA attempted to hide that fact.

Talk about twisting things to fit your own agenda. Here we have major weather forecasting icon...being political.

Once again, more proof that weather forecasting is now politically biased and fear-based.

I'll take a no name local weather forecaster over these jerks, thanks.
The issue isnít that Alabama was never in the forecast. The issue is that Alabama was no longer in the forecast when the President took to Twitter to warn Alabama they were most likely going to be hit ďmuch harder than anticipatedĒ.

Since then, it has gone as far as the President altering a weather map with a black sharpie to make himself look right. He could have simply apologized for sending out the wrong info. Instead, your guy whipped out his sharpie.
Old 09-07-19, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Florida Man Parks Smart Car In Kitchen So Hurricane Dorian Doesnít Blow It Away

link
Old 09-07-19, 10:17 AM
Admin-Thanos

[Mod note] - Let's try to keep politics out of a weather thread please guys, or it will be split off into a different thread in Politics.
Old 09-07-19, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Youtuber(James Blackwood-Racoon Whisperer) was mentioning on one of his latest videos that he expects to get the hurricane up in NE Canada.

He had his roof blown off during a previous hurricane.

He had a woman come over from Greece during the summer and she helped feed the raccoons but she went back home about a week ago so she got out of Dodge before the storm hit. I don't know if she is coming back but it sounds like she isn't.
Old 09-07-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mspmms View Post
Florida Man Parks Smart Car In Kitchen So Hurricane Dorian Doesnít Blow It Away

link
Is that a Bird Scooter with the "Roof" option?
Old 09-07-19, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is that a Bird Scooter with the "Roof" option?
Yep and we have them in Indianapolis.

Bird Scooters with roof option
Old 09-07-19, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Florida Man Parks Smart Car In Kitchen So Hurricane Dorian Doesn’t Blow It Away
At first I thought it referred to the kitchen not blowing away
Old 09-07-19, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You're an idiot if you drive smart car in Jacksonville. Oh Florida State fan....well there you go...
Old 09-08-19, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 09-08-19, 05:02 AM

Landfall in Nova Scotia and near about 70,000 people of Bahamas could lose their houses. Just praying!!
Old 09-08-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Death toll in Bahamas will probably be in the thousands
Old 09-08-19, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by redrum View Post
Death toll in Bahamas will probably be in the thousands

44 dead is what I see reported on credible sites with 70,000 homeless (which is a lot of folks given the population size on the islands that were hit). The Bahamas were a prime vacation spot for those with money and it is jarring that this hurricane will have such a negative impact on the Bahamas. After a Cat 4/5 hurricane spends two days sandblasting your islands I suspect it will take at least a few years before things are completely back to normal.

Even more startling is how many islands/locations that were prime vacation spots (Bermuda Islands, Bahamas, Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands, etc.) have been severely impacted by direct hits from major hurricanes over the past 10 years, these are places that were prime vacation spots for decades because for the most part major hurricanes usually achieved a glancing blow if that and left them alone but yeah, folks want to keep insisting climate change that has lead to more weather events hitting these locations are fake news, sigh...such is life in these modern times.

Anyway, I can only hope more cat 4/5s are not lurking out there getting ready to wreak havoc over the next month or two (unfortunately, I am aware that hurricane season is far from over).
Old 09-09-19, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Aerial photos from the Bahamas:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...-aerial-photos

Sounds like a portion of The Bahamas called the Abaco Islands got extra trashed.
Old 09-09-19, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw the videos last night and my jaw was on the floor. Damn it does look like an atomic bomb hit. Horrible.
Old 09-09-19, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Local weatherman showed a disturbance in the Atlantic. He said he probably won't happen but it could strengthen and hit the Bahamas in 10 days.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.