Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Hurricane Season 2019

Old 09-04-19, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Hurricane Season 2019

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
I don't normally pray but I did this time and it did move away from the bad spots shortly after so I am fully to thank for this positive outcome. For a small donation (around $50m) I'll consider doing it again for the next storm. Any less than that isn't really worth my time and energy. 30 seconds might seem like a quick time to you but there's a lot of preparation and stuff that goes into that AND I make sure not to waste the contact by also wishing other things at the same time (like my cable company deciding NOT to raise rates by 3%, and for my cat to catch the fly that's been bothering me). So send those donations promptly and let's all together make this world a better place.

Otherwise you hate kittens, and puppies, and babies and stuff.
Do you take requests? Like, can I have you make a hurricane form directly above Mitch McConnell's house and never leave? If so, pls forward your PP info for immediate payment. Thx \o/
Old 09-04-19, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Climate change? Global warming? Pfff non-existent with thoughts and prayers.

Meteor the size of 1000 football fields about to hit Earth? Pfff would not even dare come close with thoughts and prayers.

Plastic in the oceans killing sea life and rain dropping micro-plastic? Thoughts and prayers will purify the oceans.

Believe. Open your wallets minds.
Old 09-04-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hurricanes happening every year for...hundreds (if not thousands) of years along the same coastlines doing about the same damage? Nah, it's climate change!

No. Wait. I'ts now a "Climate Crisis".

Climate Change was yesterday man, because people were on to the scam.

Now it's a CRISIS. A never-ending report on shit that happens all the time.
Old 09-04-19, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I don't normally pray but I did this time and it did move away from the bad spots shortly after so I am fully to thank for this positive outcome. For a small donation (around $50m) I'll consider doing it again for the next storm. Any less than that isn't really worth my time and energy. 30 seconds might seem like a quick time to you but there's a lot of preparation and stuff that goes into that AND I make sure not to waste the contact by also wishing other things at the same time (like my cable company deciding NOT to raise rates by 3%, and for my cat to catch the fly that's been bothering me). So send those donations promptly and let's all together make this world a better place.

Otherwise you hate kittens, and puppies, and babies and stuff.
Was telling VinVega exactly where the hurricane was going to go and how the media was hyping it up, and he wrote me off. I'm not even a fucking scientist wizard ego dumbshit and yet I made a calculation based on previous knowledge, and was right. Gosh, go figure. I actually use the tools available and I come up with something that's pretty fucking accurate.

Jee Whiz, maybe DVD P was right about the media and even your weather gurus predicting global destruction at the expense of paranoia and hysteria and purposely putting disinformation out in the public just for selfish means to an end.

They love this shit. They want blood. They want chaos. They don't want you to believe that common sense rules. They don't want you think, period. They want you to believe THEM...nobody else.

Look at where the hurricane is now.

Should have listened to me.
Old 09-04-19, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post

Jee Whiz, maybe DVD P was right about the media and even your weather gurus predicting global destruction at the expense of paranoia and hysteria and purposely putting disinformation out in the public just for selfish means to an end.

They love this shit. They want blood. They want chaos. They don't want you to believe that common sense rules. They don't want you think, period. They want you to believe THEM...nobody else.

What will we do without the weatherman? If not them who will save us?

Old 09-04-19, 07:52 PM
Admin-Thanos

Was telling VinVega exactly where the hurricane was going to go and how the media was hyping it up, and he wrote me off. I'm not even a fucking scientist wizard ego dumbshit and yet I made a calculation based on previous knowledge, and was right. Gosh, go figure. I actually use the tools available and I come up with something that's pretty fucking accurate.

Should have listened to me.
A broken clock is right twice a day too.
Old 09-04-19, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Orlando was more or less spared. That was a close one.
Old 09-04-19, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Orlando was more or less spared. That was a close one.
Thank Zod.

Spoiler:
- and broken clocks.
Old 09-04-19, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post

That right there is exactly what I hate about the news media. And mainly the 24 hour news media conglomerates. I've had my fair share of hurricanes. This is number 7 for me, even though I really shouldn't count it since it moved east so much. They are really serious things to deal with and crap like that is what causes people to think that ah the last hurricane was nothing I'm not going to evacuate. Each hurricane is different and the shift of the path by just a mile or two can make a huge difference. Those images of entire communities devastated by hurricanes, the path is often just a couple of miles wide, so every minute change in the path makes a big difference. Playing up the hurricane just to get viewers is atrocious behavior. I think the local news media is much less prone to that. Yeah they'll have shots of the waves on the beach but they'll also pan to show you the roads and trees and try to give you an accurate depiction of what the winds are really like.
Old 09-04-19, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Wait, now I'm confused. Are hurricanes defeated via thoughts and prayers or nukes?
Never heard the phrase "Praise the lord and pass the ammunition?"
Old 09-04-19, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You bring up a point I haven't seen in years, and that is, the local media. I'd be more inclined to trust their observations over a massive corporate monstrosity that vomits the same paranoia every single minute of every single day. In many cases the local media are sellouts (or more accurately, forceouts or comply), but I'd still rather watch a local broadcast than some cable news "readers" who wouldn't know a hurricane from water coming out of a hose at a high velocity.
Old 09-04-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post

Old 09-04-19, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^
Shame that day I didn't tune in to watch. I could have done some thoughts and prayers for the boat to flip over.
Old 09-05-19, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You bring up a point I haven't seen in years, and that is, the local media. I'd be more inclined to trust their observations over a massive corporate monstrosity that vomits the same paranoia every single minute of every single day. In many cases the local media are sellouts (or more accurately, forceouts or comply), but I'd still rather watch a local broadcast than some cable news "readers" who wouldn't know a hurricane from water coming out of a hose at a high velocity.
Of course YMMV depending on your area but at least here the local news is much better than national. Yeah they still do fluff pieces and some fear mongering but most of their "mistakes" are more innocent if that makes sense. I think part of it is that they are still a part of the community so they still have to answer to the people living in the community if they try some real BS. It's like the only place anymore where people pretty much just read the news. Not try to insert some kind of talking head that will just support their side of the story.
Old 09-05-19, 05:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Holy Shit! Dorian is predicted to still be a hurricane 3 days from now and hit Canada!

Old 09-05-19, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, it strengthened back up to a Cat 3 last night.
Old 09-05-19, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, it will still be a hurricane when it hits Nova Scotia? Can't remember the last time I saw that happen.
Old 09-05-19, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Do you take requests? Like, can I have you make a hurricane form directly above Mitch McConnell's house and never leave? If so, pls forward your PP info for immediate payment. Thx \o/
I have extremely high morals that I live by and wishing harm or bad things to happen to other people violates those morals. Having said that... depends on the payment amount. $10 goes a long way.
Old 09-05-19, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have extremely high morals that I live by and wishing harm or bad things to happen to other people violates those morals. Having said that... depends on the payment amount. $10 goes a long way.
Old 09-05-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
Damn, it will still be a hurricane when it hits Nova Scotia? Can't remember the last time I saw that happen.
Old 09-05-19, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wait...what, why are we talking about Dorian hitting Canada as it still has to hit Alabama meaning it will be quite some time before it gets to Canada. That being said, I have a relative in Florida and am happy to hear it did not wreck Florida especially after I saw what it did to the Bahamas .
Old 09-05-19, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

UPDATE: Washington and Oregon at risk
Old 09-05-19, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wishbone View Post
I know all about the Halifax explosion but I am not familiar with this reference.
Old 09-05-19, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cultshock View Post
I know all about the Halifax explosion but I am not familiar with this reference.

How about meow?
Old 09-05-19, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never seen that but I have been meaning to watch it, thanks!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.