Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

FEMA Craziness!

Old 08-26-19, 08:27 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,957
FEMA Craziness!

Check out this nonsense... I have flood insurance on my home because the drainage in my neighborhood is all effed up and I'm at risk in case of a HUGE rain that might overwhelm the system and flood the basement.

I've paid the bill and have the policy, the cancelled check, and a statement showing the coverage dates. FEMA wants me to sign a letter acknowledging receipt of their receipt, effectively providing a receipt for the receipt of their receipt. And they've included a duplicate, which is supposedly MY receipt of the receipt I'm providing for the receipt of their receipt.



Yet, the duplicate alone does not necessarily prove that I provided them the requested receipt for the receipt of their receipt. That proof can only be provided if I demand that they provide me, via return mail, a receipt for what they want me to sign and send, because the duplicate receipt for the receipt I'm being asked to provide to prove receipt of their receipt is invalid unless I can prove they got it. So I am going to need a receipt upon delivery of the receipt I am providing for receipt of their receipt.

Yup. Unless I get a receipt to prove that they got the receipt they're asking me to provide, acknowledging receipt of their receipt, I can never prove that I complied with their request. Thus, I need a receipt to prove their receipt of the receipt I'm providing to confirm receipt of the original receipt.

On what plane of existence does this make ANY fucking sense at all? Lol.
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 08:35 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,957
Re: FEMA Craziness!

kenbuzz is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 08:47 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Sonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 1999
Posts: 18,038
Re: FEMA Craziness!

Sonic is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 09:04 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,492
Re: FEMA Craziness!

But, of course you expected this bureaucratic bullshit! If you didn't, the game's on you. It's just their way of trying to weasel out of it, any possible way. You don't have a receipt of a receipt, of a receipt? Sorry, no coverage. See paragraph 435. section 42, subsection 3 of the binding legal agreement that you signed.

It's all there in 3-point typed print, clear as day!
zyzzle is offline  
Old 08-26-19, 09:24 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,957
Re: FEMA Craziness!

I did a little research tonight since, as zyzzle points out, it might be that I have to prove that I signed and returned this piece of paper to prevent them from weaseling out of a potential future claim. Turns out that I'm not the only person to ask this question.... there's a FEMA Flood Insurance FAQ that devotes multiple answers just to this asinine form:

Linky: https://www.fema.gov/faqs-about-your...ation-packet#3

3. What is the Acknowledgement of Receipt form, and why is it included?

Under FIRA 2004, Congress required that the form be included in the packet. The purpose of the form is to let policyholders know that the information in the packet is important and should be reviewed and retained. When completed and returned, the form helps FEMA make sure that the packet reached the policyholder, as Congress intended.

4. What if I don’t complete and return the Acknowledgement of Receipt form?

Actually, two copies of the form are enclosed in the packet. One is to be returned to FEMA in the prepaid envelope provided; the other is for you to save for your records. However, FIRA 2004 does not require that the form be returned, and there are no consequences if you choose not to return the form.
"There are no consequences if you choose not to return the form."

Asshats

Thanks, Congress, for forcing FEMA to add a stupidly redundant unnecessary level of redundancy to this. Either trust the USPS to deliver the letter, or if you want proof of delivery send it certified mail. Requesting a non-binding receipt from the policy owner to acknowledge receipt of YOUR receipt of the transaction... I'm stopping now, it's not necessary to keep typing "receipt" over and over again. Lol
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 10:15 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,342
Re: FEMA Craziness!

Nice bargain
Mabuse is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 10:24 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Legend
 
wishbone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 20,835
Re: FEMA Craziness!

So happy that I paid off my mortgage last year and said farewell to flood insurance.

wishbone is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 12:48 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,655
Re: FEMA Craziness!

As an aside, have you read your policy carefully? The way you phrased your worries is that you are worried about flood to your home do to some particular issues at your home.

Even tho a flood policy is specific to your home, typically the coverage will only apply if there is a general condition of flooding in the area.

Example, if it rains heavy and your basement floods, but no other area suffered flooding, you might not have coverage.

“How Does the NFIP Defne a Flood?
Your NFIP food insurance policy covers direct physical losses caused by a food. In simple terms, a food is an excess of water on land that is normally dry, affecting two or more acres of land or two or more properties. For example, damage caused by a sewer backup is covered if the backup is a direct result of fooding. If the sewer backup is not caused directly by fooding, the damage is not covered.”

In addition, you seemed concerned with your basement. There could be limited coverage for damage to a basement. I’m not sure if you can increase that coverage. FEMA basically looks at a basement as a mechanical room. If you finish it out, put in a bar, pool table, media room, paneling, etc, there maybe limited coverage for those items.

Flood is not like home insurance. It is designed to assist in a catastrophic situation. But rarely will it put you back like before the loss.

“What is the area below lowest elevated foor?
These areas include basements, crawlspaces under an elevated building, enclosed areas beneath buildings elevated on full-story foundation walls (sometimes referred to as “walkout basements”), and enclosed areas under other types of elevated buildings.
Coverage tip: If you keep a couch, computer, and television in your basement and the basement foods, your food policy does not provide any coverage for those items. Those same items would be covered if above the lowest elevated floor.”

Last edited by Sdallnct; 08-27-19 at 12:55 PM.
Sdallnct is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 01:14 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 52,390
Re: FEMA Craziness!

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
But, of course you expected this bureaucratic bullshit! If you didn't, the game's on you. It's just their way of trying to weasel out of it, any possible way. You don't have a receipt of a receipt, of a receipt? Sorry, no coverage. See paragraph 435. section 42, subsection 3 of the binding legal agreement that you signed.

It's all there in 3-point typed print, clear as day!
This is exactly what they're doing.

It's painful, but go through all the hoops.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 08-27-19, 05:11 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Posts: 17,342
Re: FEMA Craziness!

Is this the 15th anniversary of Katrina thread?
Mabuse is offline  
Old 08-28-19, 01:07 AM
  #11  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
kenbuzz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 20,957
Re: FEMA Craziness!

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
As an aside, have you read your policy carefully? The way you phrased your worries is that you are worried about flood to your home do to some particular issues at your home.

Even tho a flood policy is specific to your home, typically the coverage will only apply if there is a general condition of flooding in the area.

Example, if it rains heavy and your basement floods, but no other area suffered flooding, you might not have coverage.

“How Does the NFIP Defne a Flood?
Your NFIP food insurance policy covers direct physical losses caused by a food. In simple terms, a food is an excess of water on land that is normally dry, affecting two or more acres of land or two or more properties. For example, damage caused by a sewer backup is covered if the backup is a direct result of fooding. If the sewer backup is not caused directly by fooding, the damage is not covered.”

In addition, you seemed concerned with your basement. There could be limited coverage for damage to a basement. I’m not sure if you can increase that coverage. FEMA basically looks at a basement as a mechanical room. If you finish it out, put in a bar, pool table, media room, paneling, etc, there maybe limited coverage for those items.

Flood is not like home insurance. It is designed to assist in a catastrophic situation. But rarely will it put you back like before the loss.

“What is the area below lowest elevated foor?
These areas include basements, crawlspaces under an elevated building, enclosed areas beneath buildings elevated on full-story foundation walls (sometimes referred to as “walkout basements”), and enclosed areas under other types of elevated buildings.
Coverage tip: If you keep a couch, computer, and television in your basement and the basement foods, your food policy does not provide any coverage for those items. Those same items would be covered if above the lowest elevated floor.”
Thanks, but I've got my insurance needs well-covered. I am insured to cover my risks, and I am not paying for unnecessary coverage.

The developer of my neighborhood designed the stormwater drainage system to collect the water from three 30" pipes along the roadway in front of my house, each pipe beginning at a different point, to bring it together into a single basin just beyond my property line. That basin used to drain out along a streambed that cut across my back yard, but before I moved in he installed a single 30" pipe and buried it under my backyard. When we get spectacular rain, the water going into the basin overwhelms the single pipe taking the water out (because 3 is bigger than 1), resulting in water pooling in the basin until it fills, with the excess streaming out ACROSS my backyard. I have witnessed a stream of water 4-8" deep suddenly appear across my yard, with that stream bouncing off the NE corner of my brick home as the water seeks its own route to the retention pond further downstream beyond the rear property line. It's a stupid-ass design, but one the county surveyor and stormwater board signed-off on. Over the past 14 years of living here, I have observed this happen at least 10 times. It doesn't quite happen every single year, but that it happens at all is annoying as hell.

I know you mean well, but I'm a grown up and I completely 100% absolutely understand what my money is doing. I fully-comprehend what my policy covers, and what it does not. I completely researched the matter a decade ago, consulted with the county storm water management board and surveyor, investigated the flood plain situation, I know within which FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) zone my home resides, I know specifically which coverage applies to my home's lowest level and the definition of "basement" and whether or not all four walls are above, below, or at grade, and the impact same has on the contents of the lowest level vis-a-vis what the policy covers and what it does not. The policy I have in place is the one I specifically sought after months of research, and I have precisely the coverage that I desire and require. Thanks.

Last edited by kenbuzz; 08-28-19 at 01:18 AM.
kenbuzz is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 12:59 AM
  #12  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Abob Teff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Not necessarily Formerly known as Solid Snake
Posts: 20,161
Re: FEMA Craziness!

Originally Posted by Sdallnct View Post
As an aside, have you read your policy carefully? The way you phrased your worries is that you are worried about flood to your home do to some particular issues at your home.

Even tho a flood policy is specific to your home, typically the coverage will only apply if there is a general condition of flooding in the area.

Example, if it rains heavy and your basement floods, but no other area suffered flooding, you might not have coverage.

“How Does the NFIP Defne a Flood?
Your NFIP food insurance policy covers direct physical losses caused by a food. In simple terms, a food is an excess of water on land that is normally dry, affecting two or more acres of land or two or more properties. For example, damage caused by a sewer backup is covered if the backup is a direct result of fooding. If the sewer backup is not caused directly by fooding, the damage is not covered.”

In addition, you seemed concerned with your basement. There could be limited coverage for damage to a basement. I’m not sure if you can increase that coverage. FEMA basically looks at a basement as a mechanical room. If you finish it out, put in a bar, pool table, media room, paneling, etc, there maybe limited coverage for those items.

Flood is not like home insurance. It is designed to assist in a catastrophic situation. But rarely will it put you back like before the loss.

“What is the area below lowest elevated foor?
These areas include basements, crawlspaces under an elevated building, enclosed areas beneath buildings elevated on full-story foundation walls (sometimes referred to as “walkout basements”), and enclosed areas under other types of elevated buildings.
Coverage tip: If you keep a couch, computer, and television in your basement and the basement foods, your food policy does not provide any coverage for those items. Those same items would be covered if above the lowest elevated floor.”
Oh come on, damnit! I can’t be the only one who sees it, can I?

Abob Teff is offline  
Old 09-01-19, 01:13 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Home again, Big D
Posts: 28,655
Re: FEMA Craziness!

Originally Posted by kenbuzz View Post
Thanks, but I've got my insurance needs well-covered. I am insured to cover my risks, and I am not paying for unnecessary coverage.

The developer of my neighborhood designed the stormwater drainage system to collect the water from three 30" pipes along the roadway in front of my house, each pipe beginning at a different point, to bring it together into a single basin just beyond my property line. That basin used to drain out along a streambed that cut across my back yard, but before I moved in he installed a single 30" pipe and buried it under my backyard. When we get spectacular rain, the water going into the basin overwhelms the single pipe taking the water out (because 3 is bigger than 1), resulting in water pooling in the basin until it fills, with the excess streaming out ACROSS my backyard. I have witnessed a stream of water 4-8" deep suddenly appear across my yard, with that stream bouncing off the NE corner of my brick home as the water seeks its own route to the retention pond further downstream beyond the rear property line. It's a stupid-ass design, but one the county surveyor and stormwater board signed-off on. Over the past 14 years of living here, I have observed this happen at least 10 times. It doesn't quite happen every single year, but that it happens at all is annoying as hell.

I know you mean well, but I'm a grown up and I completely 100% absolutely understand what my money is doing. I fully-comprehend what my policy covers, and what it does not. I completely researched the matter a decade ago, consulted with the county storm water management board and surveyor, investigated the flood plain situation, I know within which FEMA Flood Insurance Rate Map (FIRM) zone my home resides, I know specifically which coverage applies to my home's lowest level and the definition of "basement" and whether or not all four walls are above, below, or at grade, and the impact same has on the contents of the lowest level vis-a-vis what the policy covers and what it does not. The policy I have in place is the one I specifically sought after months of research, and I have precisely the coverage that I desire and require. Thanks.
Cool....insurance is a part of risk management. And it sounds like your very comfortable with your risk tolerance. Which is absolutely where you want to be.

Cheers.
Sdallnct is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.