Reload this Page >

Man gets shot after attacking another man in parking lot. Victim arrested

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 08-19-19, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To me it looks like the assaulter was not retreating, but either waiting for the guy to get up to fight or waiting until the gun wasn't pointed at him so he could regain the upper hand and assault the victim some more. The only point where I would say he was retreating was when he ran back into the store AFTER he was shot.

There's a trial starting today for this. I'm curious how this will go or why the DA's would feel like this is a case they could win. The DA's may want the notoriety for this case and likely will either want to run for a political office if they win the trial or become a special news corespondant and/or write a book about the ordeal for $$$$$$$$.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/19/us/st...ial/index.html
Old 08-19-19, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: Man gets shot after attacking another man in parking lot. Victim arrested

And although he started the argument and escalated the encounter with a gun, - CNN
Actually, the woman started it when she parked in a Handicap space and she wasn't handicapped (correct me if I'm wrong). And I don't remember video showing the man was waving the gun around or escalating the argument. The argument escalated when the woman's bf walks out and assaults the man...who then, being assaulted and afraid he's going to get assaulted again, pulls out the gun and shoots the assailant.
Old 08-19-19, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read the attached stories. The shooter is a frustrated Barney Fife type who is in the habit of confronting and harassing people. I hope they throw the book at him.
Old 08-19-19, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Who initiated physical contact first.

The big bad boyfriend.
Old 08-19-19, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

No duty to retreat.
In some countries that would be straight up murder, but not in (many parts) of America. Best be careful out there.
Old 08-19-19, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
No duty to retreat.
In some countries that would be straight up murder, but not in (many parts) of America. Best be careful out there.
In some countries you can toss men off rooftops for simply assuming they are gay. Just imagine if they had a state right to arm themselves legally and not retreat.

Everyone has a right defend themselves. A gun shouldn't make a difference if only to slant the odds in the person's favor so they live and the (more) bad person dies or stops doing what they are doing. But to some, Weapons B Bad and that's all that counts.

People should read this story from the beginning. While a verbal argument is nothing new, pushing somebody to the ground puts the argument into a whole new category....and in many states, it's a self-defense initiator.

Maybe read up on your state's laws before you go pushing people around outside convenience stores. I'm sure there will be cases that are splitting hairs, but a majority of them are not covered by the media, and it's not their intent to inform you nor educate you on the premise or reality that an armed person can defend themselves from unarmed people when assaulted and reasonably proven they believe their life is in danger, and almost all concealed weapons situations have merit for their being a confrontation.

It still amazes me we have people who initiate a physical assault in this country that is known to have weapons everywhere and concealed on a good number of people.

No duty to be smart and proactive. And that's in every state in the US.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 08-19-19 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-19-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't want to speak for Mabuse but I'm pretty sure "some countries" refers to "civilized developed nations". Nice job with the distort and avoid.
Old 08-19-19, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got no love for people who abuse the handicap space but damn.

Drejka is an asshole, a dangerous asshole, a dangerous asshole who needs locked up. He has a history of brandishing a firearm and had the citizens in any of those other situations pressed charges this tragedy might have been avoided.
Old 08-19-19, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's the key, though. Since the guy was backing away from him, you can't just shoot someone when they are no longer a threat. It's like if someone breaks into your house and you brandish a gun, they run away, you chase and kill them, well, your ass is going to jail.
Old 08-19-19, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by AGuyNamedMike View Post
I got no love for people who abuse the handicap space but damn.

Drejka is an asshole, a dangerous asshole, a dangerous asshole who needs locked up. He has a history of brandishing a firearm and had the citizens in any of those other situations pressed charges this tragedy might have been avoided.
He has a history but on that day, that is the day in question.

Wouldn't it be interesting if people were killed or imprisoned for decades...for simply being obnoxious or assholes. Some people in this country want that to be a standard rule.

What's the history of the guy who pushed Drejka? Has anyone brought that information to light or are we just looking at one person's history of being an ass.

I found a Markeis Deon Mcglockton, Florida, 33755.

One of these is a Felony.

AGGRAVATED BATTERY DOMESTIC
RESISTING ARREST W/VIOLENCE
DISORDERLY CONDUCT

Tattoos and/or writings on body: "Get It How You Live"

Also, that was just recent information, not all of it. Who knows if there is more.

----

We also don't have audio of what transpired in that 4 seconds just after he was pushed to the ground (or do we, nobody seems to have published it), which is going to determine if that was enough time for Drejka to make a mandatory retreat...or not enough time to give him a solid defense.
Old 08-19-19, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
That's the key, though. Since the guy was backing away from him, you can't just shoot someone when they are no longer a threat. It's like if someone breaks into your house and you brandish a gun, they run away, you chase and kill them, well, your ass is going to jail.
It's a fair point and certainly should be taken into consideration as we can't have people shooting everyone in the back several hours later for an argument at another location.

But just how far the guy runs away from the alleged victim and how much time expires from being threatened, is key as well.

I did read where Drejka allegedly threatened another man and used racial slurs. So, what the fuck happened with the cops not coming to arrest him? With that kind of account from a person, a police report should have easily been done and/or a 911 call. I mean, if somebody threatens my life with a gun and says racially charged things against me...I'm calling the damn cops and filing a report so that fucker, if he ever comes at me again, I will have the cops on my side.

And that incident also raises questions on why he was STILL able to have a valid permit to carry a gun.

Seems like we can trace back a killing to somebody dropping the ball on standard...operating...procedures.
Old 08-19-19, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
I don't want to speak for Mabuse but I'm pretty sure "some countries" refers to "civilized developed nations". Nice job with the distort and avoid.
Yap, of course Mabuse meant that, how could he not? I'm pretty sure that firearms are easy as shit to buy (if you have the money) in countries where people toss people off of rooftops for thinking they are gay. Try again!
Old 08-19-19, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
He only backs away several steps , then right before he was shot he moved his left foot forward toward the guy. It appears as if he was trying to go toward the left side of the shooter. To me it doesn't look like he was retreating, just repositioning himself for another attack. If he ran back in the store when the guy pulled the gun, I would say he was retreating. If he did that, he would likely still be alive today.

Confronting someone over a handicapped parking space isn't illegal. Sneaking up on someone and violently shoving them to the ground. This guy doesn't seem to have much respect for rules. Shoving people in parking lots and parking in handicapped spaces without a permit. The guy thought he was above the law. Instead he is now six feet below the ground, or in a tin can on a shelf in someone's house.

Last edited by movieguru; 08-19-19 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-19-19, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I don't see him moving forward again but he doesn't exactly turn and walk away either. I'm sure the argument will be he still thought his life was in danger - so he took the shot. And you only need 1 juror to agree. So I don't think the DA actually think they'll get a conviction here but this was quickly turned into a race case so they are probably going through with it to appease folks.. but that worked so well with the Zimmerman case didn't it?
Old 08-19-19, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by General Zod View Post
Well I don't see him moving forward again but he doesn't exactly turn and walk away either. I'm sure the argument will be he still thought his life was in danger - so he took the shot. And you only need 1 juror to agree. So I don't think the DA actually think they'll get a conviction here but this was quickly turned into a race case so they are probably going through with it to appease folks.. but that worked so well with the Zimmerman case didn't it?
From what I can tell from the video, after the gun is pulled, the bully take three steps backwards, then when he gets to the white car, His left foot went forward back towards the guy, but slightly left.

If the guy had not had a gun with him, he would likely be beaten severely or dead. The bully only backed up the three steps when he realized his victim had a gun. After shoving him to the ground, he was still going forward after the guy. He didn't appear to have any intention of letting that guy get up off the ground.

Had this been a the same situation with the only difference being the guy was a uniformed cop, it very likely would have went the same way.
Old 08-19-19, 10:30 PM

Old 08-20-19, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
He has a history but on that day, that is the day in question.
The guy thinks he is the parking lot police, and that he should enforce parking ticket infractions with deadly force.

Yes, someone else broke the law, he is the real danger to the community and needs to be stopped.
Old 08-20-19, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The thing that's hard to address is that carrying a gun puts you in a different mindset. Drejka probably would have never confronted someone over a parking space if he wasn't carrying. I know when I've got my pistol on me, I'm less careful about where I go, or what situations I allow myself to get into. Certainly not to this degree, but the effect is there.

A total asshole with a CCP is simply way more likely to be "forced" to use their gun in self-defense.
Old 08-20-19, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by GoVegan View Post
The thing that's hard to address is that carrying a gun puts you in a different mindset. Drejka probably would have never confronted someone over a parking space if he wasn't carrying.
And the other guy would not have attacked Drejka and slammed him to the ground unless he thought that he outpowered him and had the upper hand.

Old 08-20-19, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Count Dooku View Post
The guy thinks he is the parking lot police, and that he should enforce parking ticket infractions with deadly force.

Yes, someone else broke the law, he is the real danger to the community and needs to be stopped.
He wasn't enforcing a parket ticket infraction with deadly force though. He was using words to discuss the parking infraction with the entitled woman. He never pointed the gun at the woman during the discussion or even made her aware that he had a gun. He used deadly force against someone that physically attacked him and was threatening his life.
Old 08-20-19, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
He only backs away several steps , then right before he was shot he moved his left foot forward toward the guy. It appears as if he was trying to go toward the left side of the shooter. To me it doesn't look like he was retreating, just repositioning himself for another attack. If he ran back in the store when the guy pulled the gun, I would say he was retreating. If he did that, he would likely still be alive today.
His girlfriend and child were right there. In the same situation, would you have left your child and ran away from a man brandishing a firearm? While he didn't go into a full retreat, he certainly backed away. I counted three steps back toward the white car. Then, a split second before the shot, he begins to turn toward the store, I do not see any steps taken toward the shooter. The Youtube video below is what I'm going by (starts at 42 seconds).

Everyone involved is an asshole, if you ask me. The assaulter was certainly going to escalate the situation even further had the man not pulled the gun. But to me, the shooter WANTED to shoot him. The shooter could have used the gun to de-escalate the situation but instead, was looking to shoot.

Old 08-20-19, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The thread title says "victim" arrested. Before reading the article, I was wondering which would be the victim. The person who was attacked, or the person who was shot?
Old 08-20-19, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Goat3001;13595458[b
]His girlfriend and child were right there. In the same situation, would you have left your child and ran away from a man brandishing a firearm?[/b] While he didn't go into a full retreat, he certainly backed away. I counted three steps back toward the white car. Then, a split second before the shot, he begins to turn toward the store, I do not see any steps taken toward the shooter. The Youtube video below is what I'm going by (starts at 42 seconds).

Everyone involved is an asshole, if you ask me. The assaulter was certainly going to escalate the situation even further had the man not pulled the gun. But to me, the shooter WANTED to shoot him. The shooter could have used the gun to de-escalate the situation but instead, was looking to shoot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0Mjs1kyNFE
If he didn't intend to leave his girlfriend or children when the man was brandishing a gun, then he WASN"T retreating. Three steps backward and then one step forward, but just slightly to the left side of the shooter. To me it doesn't appear that he is heading towards the store, just repositioning himself so he can try and regain his advantage over the victim. You can see after he is shot when he is actually retreating toward the store, his feet are pointed towoard the store and he is moving in that direction. At this point the victim does not fire his weapon again because the guy is retreating.
Old 08-20-19, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by movieguru View Post
If he didn't intend to leave his girlfriend or children when the man was brandishing a gun, then he WASN"T retreating. Three steps backward and then one step forward, but just slightly to the left side of the shooter. To me it doesn't appear that he is heading towards the store, just repositioning himself so he can try and regain his advantage over the victim. You can see after he is shot when he is actually retreating toward the store, his feet are pointed towoard the store and he is moving in that direction. At this point the victim does not fire his weapon again because the guy is retreating.
What exactly is your definition of retreating? Because backing away is what retreating is and it's what he does. Just because he didn't do a full sprint and leave his child behind doesn't mean he wasn't retreating.

It doesn't seem that he's moving toward the shooter one bit once the gun comes out. Three steps back and one step to turn around toward the store. The video is taken from behind the assaulter and a split second before he gets shot (at 48 seconds), I can see that he has white lettering on his shirt because he's beginning to turn around toward the store. His right foot is already turned toward the store and his other foot is turning as well. The shooter did not give him a chance to fully turn away.
Old 08-20-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, in no way was that last step toward the shooter. He backed up as far as was physically possible and had his hands up in the classic "hey, don't shoot me" position. No reasonable person would assume that guy was about to rush toward the barrel of a gun.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.