Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Mabuse goes South

Old 08-11-19, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Re: Mabuse goes South

Just blew an hour and fourty five minutes waiting for some sports bar waitress to bring me some fried raviolis. Fucking town is in slow motion! Missed sunset over the river.

I’m done. Can’t wait to leave.

I will admit that the popular barbecue places are run with expert efficiency, but everything else is too slow.
Old 08-11-19, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Kansas isn't part of the South but they really want to be.

I'd say that's probably true of most Midwestern rural states.
As a KU graduate, I assure you that they consider Missour historically to be of the South and Kansas wants no part of that. It's a distinction that they take very very seriously. They used to call the annual KU - MU football game The Border War before everyone got squeamish with the terminology after 9/11.
Old 08-11-19, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What’s the 9/11 correlation?
Old 08-11-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
Whatís the 9/11 correlation?
I don't really know. I guess we were sending troops to Afghanistan and Iraq and the powers that be felt a football game was too trivial a matter to call a "War" over. Either that or it was a show of National unity They changed the name to the "Border Showdown" which was WAY lamer IMO, then a few years later Mizzou bolted the Big 12 for the SEC and we all just said that they went back to embrace their Southern roots.
Old 08-11-19, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
Bird scooters is a south-only thing now?
I went down to put my hands in the muddy Mississippi for the first time and found this Southern Belle.

Old 08-12-19, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
As a KU graduate, I assure you that they consider Missour historically to be of the South and Kansas wants no part of that. It's a distinction that they take very very seriously. They used to call the annual KU - MU football game The Border War before everyone got squeamish with the terminology after 9/11.
KU Graduate? Lawrence is like the Berkley of the Midwest.

I grew up in Kansas. I still have family and acquaintances there.

I'll put it this way... there are lots of people, mostly in the rural areas, that identify with rebel flags and "Southern Pride." If popular sovereignty were held in the current political and cultural makeup of the state, it was have voted to become a slave state and joined the Confederacy if there had been a Civil War.

Old 08-12-19, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I was in Atlanta a couple of weekends ago, and got to try out a Bird scooter. It was fun, but then I got home and found out that some girl that works at the same place as me was killed in a hit & run in Atlanta while on one of those things.

Woman riding scooter in Midtown struck by car, dies from injuries - Story | WAGA

Old 08-12-19, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

How isnít it the South?

How many Bird Scooters can you find?

The city has the worst infestation Iíve ever encountered.
Who said that?
Old 08-12-19, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
I was in Atlanta a couple of weekends ago, and got to try out a Bird scooter. It was fun, but then I got home and found out that some girl that works at the same place as me was killed in a hit & run in Atlanta while on one of those things.

Woman riding scooter in Midtown struck by car, dies from injuries - Story | WAGA

There are tons of the scooter here in OKC, not Bird but green ones, and I see people all the time running through red lights/stop signs and not following many traffic laws, I am surprised there have not been more deaths.
Old 08-12-19, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wait until he gets to Nashville. It is littered with scooters too, though I think they recently moved to ban them.

Re: the KU-MU football reference, it likely had to do with referring to a game as "war". There was a lot of sensitivity now to war-like references being thrown around in the sports world (He's a warrior; what a battle these guys fought; etc.) as al the pearl clutchers felt it diminished what troops were going through in Afghanistan and later Iraq.

Mabuse, do not travel to Scotland. If you think service is slow in St. Louis, try the Highlands. It is extremely relaxed which I suspect is a cultural thing. They do not want you to feel rushed and you are expected to be able to relax and enjoy your meal. We've become too accustomed here in the U.S. to quickly complete our time at the trough and move out.
Old 08-12-19, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Most downtowns shut down pretty early on the weekend, if they're lively at all.

Nashville is a fucking blast though.
Old 08-12-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Cusm View Post
There are tons of the scooter here in OKC, not Bird but green ones, and I see people all the time running through red lights/stop signs and not following many traffic laws, I am surprised there have not been more deaths.
Iím a bit surprised, too, after seeing how much of it there actually is now.

Kinda funny story, but several months ago one of these scooter companies set up all around Auburn University. Thing is, many of these companies apparently just show up with no warning or local business license. Auburn police pretty said ďfuck youĒ and had every last one of them rounded up. They popped up on a Friday afternoon and the company was completely gone by Sunday morning.
Old 08-12-19, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post

I'll put it this way... there are lots of people, mostly in the rural areas, that identify with rebel flags and "Southern Pride." If popular sovereignty were held in the current political and cultural makeup of the state, it was have voted to become a slave state and joined the Confederacy if there had been a Civil War.
Thatís true everywhere. Even in California.
Old 08-13-19, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I spent the whole day North of Nashville meeting my wife’s extended family.

But we did sneak away to the Hermitage, Andrew Jackson’s home. This wasn’t just a President’s home, this was a full, working plantation with 150 slaves. Sad and beautiful at the same time is an unusual feeling, but one I’ve felt frequently on this trip. I guess that’s the blues, right? We’re going to hear some of that tomorrow. We’ve got the whole day and night in the city.

We rolled in at sunset today and it is a beautiful city. Growing very fast. Construction cranes everywhere. At least a dozen. Their convention center is enormous.
Old 08-14-19, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had a friend that spent some days in Nashville recently. I was envious of the photos. It looks like a very cool city.
Old 08-14-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nashville is really cool.

I’ll get the negative out of the way first. There is a grotesque amount of growth going on. You can’t get a clear view of the Ryman because the streets and sidewalk are so torn up. Ditto the Vanderbilt campus. So much construction. Couldn’t walk the fraternity row. It’s like the town that can’t get out of its own way. There’s so much construction it’s hard to get around.

But the town is cool, lively, friendly, clean, and down to party. It’s everything St Louis isn’t. There’s about 1/50th the amount of Bird scooters as St Louis. Much easier walking town. Streets are narrow and traffic is nil. We went and saw two country bands at Robert’s. Also saw the Parthenon. It’s a full scale recreation of the Greek Parthenon. Very cool.
Old 08-14-19, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Downtown St. Louis has been torn up for a few years now. When they finally get done, it should be pretty nice. The problem is EVERY attraction down there is torn up ... the Arch area, Busch Stadium area ...

Oh Mabuse ... you should see it on a weekend night when motorcycles and four wheelers are tearing around the downtown streets disobeying every traffic law known to man (and some that arenít) with no police anywhere around.

Those fucking scooters ... ugh.
Old 08-14-19, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh don’t worry. I saw some 12:00 o’clock Boys doing wheelies past the levee the night I got there. I had the authentic experience. That was right after I found the Bird scooter in the Mississippi. It was magical.

BTW, all construction around the Arch is done and it was very nice. My favorite part.
Old 08-15-19, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have entered the DEEP South

Old 08-16-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We toured Graceland yesterday. It was interesting. Kitschy and at the same time moving. I can’t fault anyone who means this much to others. It was pleasant to see so many people so happy.

I also got to see Elvis’ favorite slot car.

Last edited by Mabuse; 08-16-19 at 05:45 PM.
Old 08-16-19, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Dallas Bird Scooter report.

Scooters: 5
Handicapped: 0

Old 08-17-19, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

“I say to you today Ich bin ein Bird Scooter!”

Some people said there was a fifth Bird Scooter behind the grassy knoll.
Old 08-17-19, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If you haven't seen the South Park episode "The Scoots" you need to watch it.
Old 08-17-19, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It must be an optical illusion, but it looks like that girl is levitating in the middle of the street.
Old 08-18-19, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She’s jogging at the moment I snapped it. For those that maybe don’t get the joke that’s Dealy Plaza in Dallas. That’s the marker honoring JFK. And everyone has dumped their scooter.