Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Cheap Flight to NY/NJ Questions

Old 08-08-19, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Cheap Flight to NY/NJ Questions

So my wife and I are going to New Jersey in November for a friends wedding (the week before Thanksgiving) and we wanted to spend a day in Philadelphia and a day in New York. I figure a Friday in Philly and a Sunday in NY would do. My question is what's the best way to approach this? I'm talking a decent price on two roundtrip tickets (I don't need any special additions or first class or anything), and advice on what to do and see in those two cities. Are those days good to go? I figured NY would be less crowded (haha?) on a Sunday than a Friday.

So any advice would help. She's getting pretty stressed about when to get the tickets and such. Oh and the city where the wedding is taking place is called High Bridge. I guess it's smack dab in the middle of PA and NY. How convenient. We would also have to get to those places from NJ, so maybe a train or rent a car? I don't know. That's why I'm asking you guys.
Old 08-08-19, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Cheap Flight to NY/NJ Questions

I think the easiest, logistically, would be to fly into NYC, take a cab to your hotel, do what you want. When you're ready to leave, rent a one way car rental, scoop up your bags and head to the wedding. Then drive down to Philly and leave from there.

​Parking in NYC is expensive and shitty, but driving usually isn't really too awful, especially if it's just to leave town on a Saturday morning.

But I'm sure there is better insight to be had here. I usually do Philly first and then NYC, but I drive my own vehicle and don't have to use the airports when I visit. But then I have to deal with the expensive ass toll booths heading into NYC and $75 parking.

Last edited by RichC2; 08-09-19 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-09-19, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
I think the easiest, logistically, would be to fly into NYC, take a cab to your hotel, do what you want. When you're ready to leave, rent a one way car rental, scoop up your bags and head to the wedding. Then drive down to Philly and leave from there.
This is a good call, IMO. I would fly into Newark and take the quick train ride up to NYC. Spend your Friday there. On Saturday, head back to Newark and rent a car. It's important to go through Newark Liberty airport to rent your car. It's the easiest airport to get to as you can take a train right from Penn Station. Once you get there and get your car, you're only 45 minutes from High Bridge. Conversely, if you went from JFK or Laguardia you'd get killed with Saturday traffic out of the city.

After the wedding, take the car to Philly and spend your Sunday there. Typically, flying into one airport and flying out of another can be pricier than going through the same airport. If that's not an issue, I'd fly into Newark and out of Philly. If that is a concern, I'd do a roundtrip through Newark and after spending the day in Philly, heading back to the hotel in High Bridge and spending the night there. Then it'll be a quick trip to Newark the next morning for your car drop off and flight.
Old 08-09-19, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
This is a good call, IMO. I would fly into Newark and take the quick train ride up to NYC. Spend your Friday there. On Saturday, head back to Newark and rent a car. It's important to go through Newark Liberty airport to rent your car. It's the easiest airport to get to as you can take a train right from Penn Station. Once you get there and get your car, you're only 45 minutes from High Bridge. Conversely, if you went from JFK or Laguardia you'd get killed with Saturday traffic out of the city.

After the wedding, take the car to Philly and spend your Sunday there. Typically, flying into one airport and flying out of another can be pricier than going through the same airport. If that's not an issue, I'd fly into Newark and out of Philly. If that is a concern, I'd do a roundtrip through Newark and after spending the day in Philly, heading back to the hotel in High Bridge and spending the night there. Then it'll be a quick trip to Newark the next morning for your car drop off and flight.
I would definitely agree with all this. Don't drive to NJ from JFK. It is an absolute nightmare.
Old 08-09-19, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as what to see and do in NYC - have you been here before? If not, I would simply consider the typical tourist destinations if you're into that kind of stuff. Go to the Seaport at the very bottom of Manhattan for some good food/drink and a view of the Statue of Liberty. You can go up to the Freedom Tower from there and check out the 9/11 memorial and museum. You'll have time to check out a Broadway show too if you're into that kind of stuff. My one pro tip is to head to the Empire State Building after midnight - beautiful views of the city at night and there will be very few people there at that time. It closes at 2am.
Old 08-09-19, 10:44 AM

I'm from NJ and I vote for this as well.
Old 08-09-19, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Since you're coming from California, I assume you'll fly via LAX. You're only here for a few days so you don't want to waste a ton of time commuting around. Unless it was prohibitively expensive, I'd choose an LAX-PHL, NYC-LAX flight.*

Fly into Philly, see Philly on Friday. If you're around City Hall, Old City, etc. it will be a tiny bit more lively during a weekday. Look into restaurants as Philly is one of my favorite restaurant cities (per capita, better than NYC).

Rent a car for 24 hours from late morning Saturday (to take you to High Bridge) to late morning Sunday. Hertz is running at about $175/day picking up in PHL and dropping off in EWR, so you may get much better prices elsewhere. It will be cheaper and easier than transit for this portion of the trip and by dropping off at Newark Liberty you're avoiding the worst tolls and traffic. Remember: they don't charge you to enter NJ, just to leave.

Sunday you can spend in NYC and since you've got a westbound flight, your best (if you can) is to head out Monday morning. Since you no longer have a car, flying out of EWR or JFK works (each are easily accessible by rail from Penn Station: EWR by New Jersey Transit, JFK via Long Island Rail Road).

Good luck!

_________
*Flying into NYC on both ends means you have to deal with ~2.5 hours of vacation time lost traveling back to Philadelphia (via bus or train, counting transfers, etc.) and about $55/pp (if you buy the Amtrak tickets early enough).
Old 08-09-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Note I recommend flying back to California via NYC vs. PHL for a few reasons:

1. More flight options
2. More time spent in NYC (full day there)
3. The tourist parts of Philly will be more lively on a Friday vs. a Sunday.**

While I have not stayed at these hotels, I have heard decent things about the Pod hotels in NYC. They're ridiculously tiny (basically just a bed and a bathroom) but they're only $110/n for a queen bed and centrally located, so you can spend your money on any of the other overpriced things this fine city has to offer.

** Note on Sun, Nov 24 the Seahawks are in town playing the Eagles, if you care about that sort of thing.
Old 08-09-19, 11:15 AM

Look into flying into Trenton
Old 08-09-19, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr View Post
Look into flying into Trenton
Definitely don't do that.

Old 08-09-19, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post

​Parking in NYC is expensive and shitty, but driving usually isn't really too awful, especially if it's just to leave town on a Saturday morning.

But I'm sure there is better insight to be had here. I usually do Philly first and then NYC, but I drive my own vehicle and don't have to use the airports when I visit. But then I have to deal with the expensive ass toll booths heading into NYC and $75 parking.
And I thought parking in LA was bad at $36. Although I did just recently pay $47 to park in Seattle. It seems like we have more options flying right into JFK/LaGuardia, but she's worried about the drive back and forth. I've never done a one way rental. Are they typically more expensive?

Yeah, traffic was our primary concern. I'm assuming that NYC traffic is a whole 'nother level. I didn't even know you can fly into one airport and out of another. That shows how often I've flown. I think I have maybe three times in the last 10 years.

As far as what to see and do in NYC - have you been here before? If not, I would simply consider the typical tourist destinations if you're into that kind of stuff. Go to the Seaport at the very bottom of Manhattan for some good food/drink and a view of the Statue of Liberty. You can go up to the Freedom Tower from there and check out the 9/11 memorial and museum. You'll have time to check out a Broadway show too if you're into that kind of stuff. My one pro tip is to head to the Empire State Building after midnight - beautiful views of the city at night and there will be very few people there at that time. It closes at 2am.
We have not. We figured that we'd do the 9/11 museum, Empire State building, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, and maybe Central Park.Thought about a Broadway show, but I heard they are both hard to get and expensive as shit. I didn't think about the ESB at midnight. I assumed that a view of NYC would be better in the day. But I'll let her know night is better. Is the Statue open for tours now or is it closed? And the World Trade Center is pretty much right near the 9/11 museum, right? The museum is on the footprint of the old WTC? Can you go into that building or no? Any food we have to try while we are there? Pizza? Sushi?

As for Philly, we figured Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Rocky Stairs, and a cheesesteak

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Since you're coming from California, I assume you'll fly via LAX. You're only here for a few days so you don't want to waste a ton of time commuting around. Unless it was prohibitively expensive, I'd choose an LAX-PHL, NYC-LAX flight.*

Fly into Philly, see Philly on Friday. If you're around City Hall, Old City, etc. it will be a tiny bit more lively during a weekday. Look into restaurants as Philly is one of my favorite restaurant cities (per capita, better than NYC).

Rent a car for 24 hours from late morning Saturday (to take you to High Bridge) to late morning Sunday. Hertz is running at about $175/day picking up in PHL and dropping off in EWR, so you may get much better prices elsewhere. It will be cheaper and easier than transit for this portion of the trip and by dropping off at Newark Liberty you're avoiding the worst tolls and traffic. Remember: they don't charge you to enter NJ, just to leave.

Sunday you can spend in NYC and since you've got a westbound flight, your best (if you can) is to head out Monday morning. Since you no longer have a car, flying out of EWR or JFK works (each are easily accessible by rail from Penn Station: EWR by New Jersey Transit, JFK via Long Island Rail Road).

Good luck!

_________
*Flying into NYC on both ends means you have to deal with ~2.5 hours of vacation time lost traveling back to Philadelphia (via bus or train, counting transfers, etc.) and about $55/pp (if you buy the Amtrak tickets early enough).
I think that I don't mind a bit more expensive if it'll save us the stress of a lot more traffic. It seems some are saying fly into NYC and some fly into Philly. I can start looking at prices into Philly since I hadn't even thought of it. We even debated heading to Baltimore but I figured that's another trip since I'd just want to do DC and all that. And being in NY and not being able to go to Cooperstown is a real bummer.

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Note I recommend flying back to California via NYC vs. PHL for a few reasons:

1. More flight options
2. More time spent in NYC (full day there)
3. The tourist parts of Philly will be more lively on a Friday vs. a Sunday.**

While I have not stayed at these hotels, I have heard decent things about the Pod hotels in NYC. They're ridiculously tiny (basically just a bed and a bathroom) but they're only $110/n for a queen bed and centrally located, so you can spend your money on any of the other overpriced things this fine city has to offer.

** Note on Sun, Nov 24 the Seahawks are in town playing the Eagles, if you care about that sort of thing.
We actually did look into the sports aspect of things. The Lakers/49ers/Kings aren't playing anywhere near where we will be that weekend. But I did suggest maybe going to MSG for a Rangers game just to say I've been there. But an Eagles game might be fun. Maybe I can look for Mike Trout A buddy of mine (Jon Dorenbos) used to be the long snapper for the Eagles, so that's cool.

As for fights, what do you guys suggest? A friend said Kayak. I've checked Priceline and Hotwire. It seems it's around $330 a person for the RT tickets into Newark/NYC. That's not bad at all.
Old 08-09-19, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Try Kayak and look up a few different options:

1 - Flight in to Philadelphia and out of any NYC airport (as The Bus suggested)

2 - Flight to Newark and out of Philadelphia

3 - Round trip in and out of Newark

And then for car rentals:

1 - Pick up in Philly and drop off at the NYC airport you're flying home from.

2 - Pick up in Newark, drop off in Philly

3 - Pick up and drop off in Newark

See the price that makes the most sense for you and go from there.
Old 08-09-19, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
We have not. We figured that we'd do the 9/11 museum, Empire State building, Statue of Liberty, Times Square, and maybe Central Park.Thought about a Broadway show, but I heard they are both hard to get and expensive as shit. I didn't think about the ESB at midnight. I assumed that a view of NYC would be better in the day. But I'll let her know night is better. Is the Statue open for tours now or is it closed? And the World Trade Center is pretty much right near the 9/11 museum, right? The museum is on the footprint of the old WTC? Can you go into that building or no? Any food we have to try while we are there? Pizza? Sushi?
The 9/11 Memorial and Freedom Tower are right next to eachother. You can go to the top of the Freedom Tower (which I have not done myself) in the morning for daylight views of NYC and follow that up with a late night visit to ESB for a night time view.

For a Broadway show, you should be able to get tickets this far in advance unless you're trying to see Hamilton. Prices depend on the show you're seeing, if you're actually into the theater scene at all, you can catch a small off-Broadway show for less than $100 a pop. https://www.broadway.com/shows/tickets/

I'm actually not sure about the Statue of Liberty. I've never been to the statue itself, I've only seen it from afar. I never had much interest in going.

As for food, I'm not the best source because I never really ate anywhere around the tourist hotspots. Pizza is good anywhere but I'd avoid the places that advertise the $1.50 slice and soda deals. Those places tend to be bland. And I don't know if you'd be impressed with NY sushi coming from Southern California.
Old 08-09-19, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The 9/11 Memorial and Freedom Tower are right next to eachother. You can go to the top of the Freedom Tower (which I have not done myself) in the morning for daylight views of NYC and follow that up with a late night visit to ESB for a night time view.

For a Broadway show, you should be able to get tickets this far in advance unless you're trying to see Hamilton. Prices depend on the show you're seeing, if you're actually into the theater scene at all, you can catch a small off-Broadway show for less than $100 a pop. https://www.broadway.com/shows/tickets/

I'm actually not sure about the Statue of Liberty. I've never been to the statue itself, I've only seen it from afar. I never had much interest in going.

As for food, I'm not the best source because I never really ate anywhere around the tourist hotspots. Pizza is good anywhere but I'd avoid the places that advertise the $1.50 slice and soda deals. Those places tend to be bland. And I don't know if you'd be impressed with NY sushi coming from Southern California.
That's a great idea for the Freedom Tower (do NY'ers call it that still, isn't it 1WTC now?) and Empire State Building. Is it a big fee to go to the top? It cost us $35 each to go to the top of the Space Needle in Seattle. I've never been to any Broadway show anywhere. The wife has seen Rent and Wicked down here in LA, though. I'd love to go. What's a good place to get tickets, and what shows would you recommend? Our 15th anniversary is October 30, so this trip will be a few weeks after that. Kind of a belated anniversary trip as well as the wedding.
EDIT: I didn't even see your link
Sorry about that.
Old 08-09-19, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So apparently Open Jaw is what they call flying into and out of different airports. You learn something new everyday. I've seen prices as low as $620 for two RT tickets. of course I know about the BS baggage fees, but it's still good. I imagine one to two bags should be fine anyway.

What about staying in NYC and Philly? Airbnb? or a hotel? We aren't too picky, just want something safe and relatively not too expensive (less than $160 a night total maybe). A view of the city wouldn't hurt either. We plan to uber or take cabs around NY or both, unless there's a better option.
Old 08-09-19, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
That's a great idea for the Freedom Tower (do NY'ers call it that still, isn't it 1WTC now?) and Empire State Building. Is it a big fee to go to the top? It cost us $35 each to go to the top of the Space Needle in Seattle. I've never been to any Broadway show anywhere. The wife has seen Rent and Wicked down here in LA, though. I'd love to go. What's a good place to get tickets, and what shows would you recommend? Our 15th anniversary is October 30, so this trip will be a few weeks after that. Kind of a belated anniversary trip as well as the wedding.
EDIT: I didn't even see your link
Sorry about that.
I don't really know what we call it, honestly. When it was being built it was called the Freedom Tower so that's what I always referred to it as. But yeah it is 1WTC now. I'm on the website now and there seems to be no reference to the name Freedom Tower at all so I must be way off.

And looking at the website it looks like both ESB and 1WTC are $35.

Yep follow the link for shows and tickets, I don't go often but Broadway.com is all I've ever used. But I know you can get tickets on Stubhub too.

Like I said, I don't really go much so I can't be much help in making a recommendation. But since this is your first time, I'd say try something that's been around for awhile and is very "Broadway". Something like Lion King or Phantom of the Opera. But really, look at the list of popular shows on that website. All those shows are good and some are stories you may know and it would be cool just to see the Broadway version.