Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

What's the biggest risk you have ever taken?

Old 08-08-19, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: What's the biggest risk you have ever taken?

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Leaving my comfortable (but under-appreciated) position at a small pediatric group in Vegas and taking out a BIG loan to build out my own office and open a solo practice with my wife 11 years ago - - just before the recession of 2008. Walking away from a steady nice paycheck and taking on all that risk, debt and uncertainty to make it on my own. Must have been my midlife crisis.
Thanks to a LOT of hard work, hustle and dedication, the loyalty of some of my patients who followed and found me out, and a HUGE assist from my amazing wife who handles all the business stuff I suck at, I am thriving - - my practice, though still tiny is doing well, I am a department chair of my hospital and was just selected a Top Doc by Vegas Magazine. It was a scary, terrifying leap but it has paid off big time.
That's most impressive, especially in this age of the ACA, reduced physician payouts by insurance, and all the HIPPA bullshit. With your wife being your office manager (or backoffice CFO?) you dodged a HUGE bulllet and expense, and many agonizing hours of headaches.

And every pediatrician I've ever known is doing it because they love kids and want to help people, rather than for the financial renumeration. I'm glad to see a Doc making it in a small solo practice is still possible these days -- with a lot of hard work and also a lot of luck, it seems!
Old 08-08-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad to see things have worked out well for so many of you. Me, not so much. Recently widowed, I hadn't had much interaction on the dating scene in years. But then, I saw what I thought was the girl of my dreams - the perfect person to help me raise my two young daughters. I cautiously approached, first ushering the girls into the booth across her from at the local A&W. But before I was even able to introduce myself, she was gone.
Old 08-08-19, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Glad to see things have worked out well for so many of you. Me, not so much. Recently widowed, I hadn't had much interaction on the dating scene in years. But then, I saw what I thought was the girl of my dreams - the perfect person to help me raise my two young daughters. I cautiously approached, first ushering the girls into the booth across her from at the local A&W. But before I was even able to introduce myself, she was gone.
You got lucky. I heard her BIL is a tool.
Old 08-08-19, 08:50 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
risky marrying someone with virus problems.
It's in remission...
Old 08-09-19, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
That's most impressive, especially in this age of the ACA, reduced physician payouts by insurance, and all the HIPPA bullshit. With your wife being your office manager (or backoffice CFO?) you dodged a HUGE bulllet and expense, and many agonizing hours of headaches.

And every pediatrician I've ever known is doing it because they love kids and want to help people, rather than for the financial renumeration. I'm glad to see a Doc making it in a small solo practice is still possible these days -- with a lot of hard work and also a lot of luck, it seems!
Thanks z! It was a big risk and Iím glad it worked out or I could have been in bad financial straits. Signing that 7 year lease was terrifying.
Pediatrics is one of the lowest paying specialties so the greediest of physicians tend to go into more lucrative (and more competitive) fields. The more procedures you do, the more you can make, so if you go into Pediatrics itís because you like taking care of kids. It wonít get you super-rich, but I thankfully do okay and love what I do. Again if not for my wife I never would have been able to do this. Itís really a two person job (and then some ó thankfully I hired a dedicated and honest biller to keep the money coming in and keep those insurance companies from robbing me blind).
​​​​​
Old 08-09-19, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by andicus View Post
Staying with Door #2, even though Monty showed me what's behind Door #1.

I should've switched...

Signed up for a strange Internet forum once ... itís working out just fine.
Old 08-09-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
Leaving my comfortable (but under-appreciated) position at a small pediatric group in Vegas and taking out a BIG loan to build out my own office and open a solo practice with my wife 11 years ago - - just before the recession of 2008. Walking away from a steady nice paycheck and taking on all that risk, debt and uncertainty to make it on my own. Must have been my midlife crisis.
Thanks to a LOT of hard work, hustle and dedication, the loyalty of some of my patients who followed and found me out, and a HUGE assist from my amazing wife who handles all the business stuff I suck at, I am thriving - - my practice, though still tiny is doing well, I am a department chair of my hospital and was just selected a Top Doc by Vegas Magazine. It was a scary, terrifying leap but it has paid off big time.
Sorry Deck, but I did vote for Piff in that contest ...
Old 08-09-19, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Buy a house in 2010 at age 25. My parents said ďbuy now, or donít buy at allĒ. Of course, my parents meant that it was a good time to buy due to the housing market at the time.

However, I wasnít sure if I was ready or not. I was still working with an hourly wage and only did apartment renting at the time. My heart was pumping fast when I was signing those mortgage documents.

But 9 years later, everything is good and purchasing the house during the recession was perfect.

Old 08-10-19, 07:53 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Originally Posted by emanon View Post
Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
You got lucky. I heard her BIL is a tool.
This is why I can never quit DVDTalk. You all make my day more often than not.
Old 08-10-19, 08:03 AM

One time I was at a concert and to cool down I let the band's lead singer leak the water from his mouth into mine. I let go of my inhibitions or any sense of societal norms and the risk paid off. It was just so refreshing.
Old 08-10-19, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I let Topbunk move into my basement.
Old 08-10-19, 09:19 AM

I'm not a risk taker. My two biggest risks were getting married and buying a house, and neither of those were big risks. My then girlfriend and I had dated all through college and had already talked about getting married as soon as we finished school and I got a job. Getting a house also wasn't really a risk because by the time we got the house, my wife and I both had steady full time income.

I supposed learning to scuba diving could be considered a risk. But as long as you keep your equipment maintained and stay aware of your surroundings and your own limitations, scuba diving is reasonably safe.
Old 08-10-19, 09:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Hmm, not much of a risk taker here. I guess I’ll go with proposing not being entirely sure of the answer. Best 9 years of my life so far!
Old 08-10-19, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

-Quitting my job to return to college after over a decade away.

-Ending a 10 year relationship
Old 08-10-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
Sleeping with a married woman.
I'm not proud of it, but I did too. I was in a very dark place in life when we met. She lived in another state and worked in my state. It started out as flirting, but quickly escalated into sex. I really wasn't worried about getting caught (because of where she lived) but in the frame of mind I was in at the time, I didn't care. We continued this fling for about a year before we both moved on to other relationships. I often wonder if she's still married to the guy she married to when we had our affair. I'm sure I wasn't the first or the last for her.