Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Fast food joint: "I can sit where I want, it's public."

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Fast food joint: "I can sit where I want, it's public."

Old 08-07-19, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Fast food joint: "I can sit where I want, it's public."

I just remembered a similar thing happened to me when I used to commute to work by train.

I would get on the train from where it starts it's departure, and since it's early in the morning - I would sleep since commuting adds about 2 hours to the work day.
At the last stop before the destination, someone who just got on the train woke me up with a tap on my shoulder asking me to taking my messenger bag off the seat next to me so he could sit there - in which I did without complaint.
And then I noticed that the train was over half empty. Even with so many seats to choose from, he felt the need to wake me up to take this unremarkable seat next to me.
Old 08-07-19, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Note that my SIL doesn't recall if all the booths were full, she said "maybe". Furthermore, that A&W also has tables for four and none were taken. So 4 seat is 4 seats, why should a booth be left for families when they can all sit together somewhere else? And when I go in a place like that alone, I'm not going to start counting how many empty booths there are and go "shoot only two left, so if I take one, there will be only one left for families!". Come on man... If the place is almost full, then yeah, otherwise... no.

She had the booth closest to the door. Maybe the guy wanted THAT booth, because he and his kids had plenty of other spots where they could have sit together.

And regardless, again, manners!
Old 08-07-19, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Note that my SIL doesn't recall if all the booths were full, she said "maybe". Furthermore, that A&W also has tables for four and none were taken. So 4 seat is 4 seats, why should a booth be left for families when they can all sit together somewhere else? And when I go in a place like that alone, I'm not going to start counting how many empty booths there are and go "shoot only two left, so if I take one, there will be only one left for families!". Come on man... If the place is almost full, then yeah, otherwise... no.

She had the booth closest to the door. Maybe the guy wanted THAT booth, because he and his kids had plenty of other spots where they could have sit together.

And regardless, again, manners!
Booths shouldn't be reserved for families, specifically. It's all first come, first serve. But each person is entitled to one spot, not an entire table.

Having said that, I didn't realize from your original post that there were other unoccupied tables. I assumed when you said that all the booths were occupied that there was at least one person at every table and the guys only option was to share. That changes my perspective and definitely makes the guy and the situation much more rude and weird.
Old 08-07-19, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My guess is that your SIL was about to be the victim of a crime. The dad, or most likely the kids while she was distracted by him, were going to snatch her purse or something from it.
Old 08-07-19, 02:06 PM

Hope Brooklyn isn't right on that one.

People are weird, glad she avoided the weirdness.
Old 08-07-19, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by grundle View Post
Every child has to be allowed to believe that their Daddy is the greatest guy in the world. No matter how much of a jerk their was father was being, you can't let them know that he's a jerk.
That's absurd! No wonder the world of parenting has gone to shit (and why I don't want to become a parent, to meet the crazy modern 'expectations' of parenting these days). Children, especially young children, are the great imitators. Parents have to behave with normal etiquette rules in mind while out in public. They don't get a free pass to act like entitled idiots just because they've got kids! Your kids aren't my problem, behave with a sense of decorum, please!
Old 08-07-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post

But he's not wrong, those seats are for all customers and the SIL was sitting alone and took up a whole booth (which I assume is seating for 4 like most fast food places). I mean, this thread easily could have been flipped around - "A woman eating alone and taking up a whole booth wouldn't let me and my daughters sit in the other seats."
1) She was there first.

2) Be a decent human being and ask either if she wouldn’t mind moving or if he and his family can sit there. My guess is she would have voluntarily moved.
Old 08-07-19, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IF IF IF it was the case that all the booths were occupied, it may have been the case that the family wanted to sit in a booth. This, despite the availability of open tables, because people like the comfort of booths, and tables are usually in the center of the dining area, and the booths are usually off to the sides.

So, he could have approached the single person taking up a booth (I DO NOT have a problem with a lone person taking a booth, you can sit wherever you want.) and asked her to move so his family could sit there.

I would suspect that the man was not some crazy person. I think he knew that his daughters wanted to sit in a booth, so he sat them down in a booth. And guess what happened? The lone diner got up and moved, which is probably just what he wanted to happen.

Admittedly this was a strange situation, but not inexplicable.
Old 08-07-19, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lone woman in this situation is going to react differently from a lone man because of socialization. Just sayin'.
Old 08-07-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Technically, yeah, you can sit wherever you want to, but it's definitely a violation of personal space.

I would never walk into a place like that and sit down at table already taken by a stranger. I wouldn't even do that if the place was full. It's just really, really fucking weird. There are some exceptions, like a lunch counter or bar, though I'd try to keep an empty space between me and anyone else. Or A food court with a lot of large capacity tables.
Old 08-07-19, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A counter situation (whether a bar or a restaurant of some sort) is a bit different in my opinion. Iíve sat next to someone in that circumstance. I try to keep a space if available but if thatís all there is then whatever.
Old 08-08-19, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
1) She was there first.

2) Be a decent human being and ask either if she wouldnít mind moving or if he and his family can sit there. My guess is she would have voluntarily moved.
1. So what? That doesn't give her the right to the entire table. If the guy had no where else to sit (which I understand isn't the case here after the OP's last comment, but for arguments sake) he's allowed to sit there.

2. I agree. Did you not read the sentence right before what you quoted?

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Technically, yeah, you can sit wherever you want to, but it's definitely a violation of personal space.
Is it? I take a train to and from work everyday. If I walked on to a train and tried to sit next to someone and they said "I prefer to sit alone" and told me about their personal space, I'd tell them to fuck right off.
Old 08-08-19, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mike86 View Post
A counter situation (whether a bar or a restaurant of some sort) is a bit different in my opinion. Iíve sat next to someone in that circumstance. I try to keep a space if available but if thatís all there is then whatever.
We sometimes sit with strangers at Costco as the seating is very limited when purchasing some of their "food" but we always ask.

It's obvious the guy knew that his action would result either in an argument (that he was ready for) or simply for the person to move.
Old 08-08-19, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it? I take a train to and from work everyday. If I walked on to a train and tried to sit next to someone and they said "I prefer to sit alone" and told me about their personal space, I'd tell them to fuck right off.
Even if half the train was empty and there were plenty of other seats?
Old 08-08-19, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This is something that I don't understand if the train/bus is not crowded. Why sit next to someone when there's open seats available? Is it to steal as Brooklyn suggests?
Old 08-08-19, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I take a train to and from work everyday. If I walked on to a train and tried to sit next to someone and they said "I prefer to sit alone" and told me about their personal space, I'd tell them to fuck right off.

"Mi scusi!"
Old 08-08-19, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would just have started singing bawdy songs to myself. Just loud enough for the kids to hear, so they can ask their Dad what things mean.
Old 08-08-19, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

You do realize how many incidents like the ones you describe end up with somebody stabbed to death, bleeding-out all over the fucking train or mass transit bus, just because some dude thought he was tougher than the little shit who looked weak and stupid sitting all alone--but the little guy had a nice sharp knife, fantasized about situations just like this every night, and dreamed some guy would want to sit next to him when he was asked politely to not sit there.

I can understand if there are no other spaces around...but if there are...I'd advise you to take them. I could be an asshole too on a train or bus, as I'm not small, but I don't. I don't assume anything nor do I tell people about their private space entitlements. I attempt to find another seat or find somebody who is much more nice.

One observation of recent events of mass killings (and those two romantic freaks in Canada) would tell you weakling males can have a nasty vicious bite and you can never assume anything.

Be safe, is all I can advise.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 08-08-19 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-08-19, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
Even if half the train was empty and there were plenty of other seats?
Originally Posted by LorenzoL View Post
This is something that I don't understand if the train/bus is not crowded. Why sit next to someone when there's open seats available? Is it to steal as Brooklyn suggests?
That's not the point I'm trying to make. If the train is empty and there are seats where there is no one else, yeah I'd take the empty seat - it would be weird (not rude, but weird) not to. The point I'm trying to make is that you can't really complain about 'personal space' when you're in that kind of setting. As a paying customer, you're allotted your space and that's all. The train I take to work has a 2x2 seating structure with an aisle down the middle. Let's say there is one person in each row on each side and the only option I have is to sit next to someone or stand. In that case, does anyone have the right to say that I can't sit next to them?
Old 08-08-19, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
You do realize how many incidents like the ones you describe end up with somebody stabbed to death, bleeding-out all over the fucking train or mass transit bus, just because some dude thought he was tougher than the little shit who looked weak and stupid sitting all alone--but the little guy had a nice sharp knife, fantasized about situations just like this every night, and dreamed some guy would want to sit next to him when he was asked politely to not sit there.

I can understand if there are no other spaces around...but if there are...I'd advise you to take them. I could be an asshole too on a train or bus, as I'm not small, but I don't. I don't assume anything nor do I tell people about their private space entitlements. I attempt to find another seat or find somebody who is much more nice.

One observation of recent events of mass killings (and those two romantic freaks in Canada) would tell you weakling males can have a nasty vicious bite and you can never assume anything.

Be safe, is all I can advise.
Yes, see the move THE INCIDENT. For exactly this situation. Made in the 1960s. New York thugs.
Old 08-08-19, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Lesson learned; avoid mass transit and fast food restaurants at all costs.
Old 08-08-19, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, I take mass transit infrequently (as I do drive my own vehicle most of the time), but to say avoid mass transit, isn't recognizing the overall problem in our society: the love of violence. We got dysfunctional people walking around, just waiting for a confrontation, only because they have no other way to act out their frustrations and they are psychologically put in that situation, thanks to our awesome media networks who predict the end of the world every single day.

Now, I'm certainly NOT saying don't defend yourself if there is no other option, but take the higher plain of enlightenment and attempt to avoid the situation before it even happens. People probably have a larger chance of getting injured in their own vehicles (road rage) than they do on mass transit.
Old 08-08-19, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Went to eat at that A&W tonight, sat by myself in that same 1st booth. Nothing of note happened. Maybe I have BO or people noticed the super soaker I had brought with me.
Old 08-08-19, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If all the young laddies were peppermint sticks, I'd peel back their wrappers, and give them some licks ... oh, roll your leg over, it's better that way.

Granddad makes cheap prophylactics, he punctures the tip with a pin,
Gramma does back room abortions, oh God how the money rolls in.

Any old port for any old storm
Life is long and love is short
Better get a woman, get a woman if you can
If you can't get a woman, get a clean old man.
Old 08-09-19, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

A lot of you are fucking weirdos. There is no acceptable times where you go and sit at a booth that someone else is in at a restaurant or fast food place. If it is those communal tables that they have in some places than sure but at a booth or a separated table and you come sit down with your kids without asking you're getting my drink dumped on your head.

I also eat out almost every single day for lunch and I've never been in a place where there wasn't another open table in the building.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.