Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Arizona company piled up bodies and dismembered limbs instead of using them for research

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Arizona company piled up bodies and dismembered limbs instead of using them for research

Old 07-27-19, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The families thought they were donating the bodies of their loved ones to a company that would send them to medical researchers to help find cures for diseases like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's.
But when federal authorities raided the Arizona facility of the Biological Resource Center in January 2014, they made a horrific discovery: bodies piled atop one another, buckets full of body parts and other unsettling scenes, details that came to light recently when a former FBI agent gave a statement for a lawsuit.
Thirty-five relatives of people whose bodies were supposed to be donated for science research between 2010 and 2014 have sued officials who worked at Biological Resource Center in Maricopa County or its facility in Illinois.
The grim discoveries were detailed in a civil lawsuit which was first filed in 2015, has been amended several times and is headed for trial this fall in a Phoenix court. It alleges officials deceived relatives who donated the remains of their loved ones and the company conspired to traffic bodies and body parts for profit.

A raid unveils body parts

In January 2014, federal authorities spent a week going through the now-shuttered facility, making horrific discoveries.
In a statement given in May, Mark Cwynar, who was an assistant special agent in the FBI's Phoenix office, testified that during the raid he saw body parts stacked in all parts of the facility, including many in freezers, without any tags identifying them. He says he saw a bucket full of heads, arms and legs.
One torso had its head removed and a smaller head was attached in a " 'Frankenstein' manner," he says. The torso was hung from a wall, the lawsuit said.

The relatives suing the company allege it would "mutilate and desecrate those bodies so they could sell the bodies and body parts for profit to enrich themselves."
The lawsuit says plaintiffs checked a box on a form that said, "No, I do not authorize Biological Resource Center to use this bequest for such special non-medical projects," only to find out years later bodies were used for other purposes.
Bodies were sold to the Department of Defense, according to the lawsuit.
"These bodies were literally used as crash test dummies, which meant they were used in experiments involving exposures to destructive forces, e.g. impacts, crashes, ballistic injuries and blasts," the lawsuit says, adding the statement is based on evidence gathered for an investigation by the Arizona Attorney General.
The plaintiffs acquired the information through a public records request, the lawsuit says.
In 2016, the Army told Reuters, the military reviewed "heavily redacted forms or forms signed by an agent of BRC that indicated consent." Reuters reports it is Army policy not to use bodies if a donor didn't approve use in military research.

Plaintiff says he made his wishes clear

Troy Harp, one of the plaintiffs, told CNN he was very clear with Biological Resource Center that he wanted the remains of mother and grandmother to be used for scientific research, perhaps in a lab where students could learn from the remains.
"Not for a morbid dissect Frankenstein party," Harp said.
Now he wonders whether the company really sent him their cremated ashes.
"We don't even know who we have in our boxes. None of us do," he said.
His mother suffered from severe arthritis and was in a wheelchair for 25 years. Harp said the hospice facility she was in referred him to Biological Resource Center. She died in 2013, a year after Harp's grandmother died.
Attorney Michael Burg said the issue is people never consented to the way the bodies were allegedly used.
"This is a horrible situation where these vulnerable people are taken advantage of," he said.
CNN has attempted several times by phone to reach Stephen Gore, the former owner and operator of the company, for comment but has not yet heard back. He pleaded guilty to one count of illegal control of an enterprise in 2015, and received a sentence of four years probation, according to news reports.
Other defendants in the lawsuit include the man who operated a similar Biological Resource Center facility in Illinois, the assistant medical director at that site, and two companies that did business with Biological Resource Center.

CNN has been unable to reach any of the defendants or their lawyers for comment.
The lawsuit appears headed for resolution in the fall. Lawyers will return to court August 13 for a status conference. The trial is tentatively scheduled to begin October 21, online court records show.

Link
The former owner and operator of the company is named Stephen Gore!? Really? Is this shit fake? It just sounds way too much like a horror movie.
Old 07-27-19, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Arizona company piled up bodies and dismembered limbs instead of using them for research

A damn good horror movie, too!
But in reality just shitty.
Old 07-27-19, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Arizona company piled up bodies and dismembered limbs instead of using them for research

When I first saw this thread title, I thought it said "Amazon". It made sense...
Old 07-28-19, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
The former owner and operator of the company is named Stephen Gore!? Really? Is this shit fake? It just sounds way too much like a horror movie.
It's an inconvenient truth!
Old 07-28-19, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

When a friend's mother died, she donated the body to science. A month or two later she needed a completed death certificate to close out her mother's affairs. That was a problem. I think it was that the death certificate couldn't be completed until the body was disposed by burial or cremation. I forget the details. Anyway, it was going to be a bureaucratic nightmare because the body was not disposed, it was in a freezer at the medical school.

Then it got worse. They had lost the body. Closing her mother's affairs were at a standstill because of it. It took another month before they found the body. It had been accidentally shipped to Colorado.

At least it wasn't an emotional trauma. She had stopped talking to her mother years before. Her last words to her mother had been, "If you're going to be like this, I'm leaving. Call me when you are going to be nice." Her mother never called.
Old 07-28-19, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

If someone wants to use my body for a crash test dummy, go for it. Car safety is designed for average sized people. I'm tall and overweight. There ought to be more crash tests where the driver has the seat all the way back and his head brushes the headliner. Of course, no research tech is going to want to lift me, let alone get my legs under the steering wheel. That tech would want to work with a little old lady half my size.
Old 07-28-19, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least they bodies weren't alive.
Old 07-28-19, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
If someone wants to use my body for a crash test dummy, go for it. Car safety is designed for average sized people. I'm tall and overweight. There ought to be more crash tests where the driver has the seat all the way back and his head brushes the headliner. Of course, no research tech is going to want to lift me, let alone get my legs under the steering wheel. That tech would want to work with a little old lady half my size.
They should use convicted murders, rapists, corporate exectutives who intentionally violate laws for thier own profit when their is no doubt of their guilt as crash test dummies. If they really are to repay their debt to society, this would be the best way to do it. I know there is a ban on cruel and unusual punishments, but they should do away with that and make these aholes actually be a benefit for the rest of society.

These corporate execs that misused these bodies, like most other corporate executives that willfully and intentionally violate the law almost always just get a slap on the wrist and then they are back out doing the same thing again. Since the punishments are rarely ever severe, this kind of crap will never stop.
Old 07-31-19, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.worldstarhiphop.com/embed/139422" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

An Arizona man was distraught to learn that his mother's body was sold to the United States military for "blast testing," which involved strapping it to a chair before an explosive device was detonated underneath, an investigation revealed. She was supposedly strapped in a chair on some sort of apparatus, and a detonation took place underneath her. To basically kind of get an idea of what the human body goes through when a vehicle is hit by an IED.
Horrible. Shit just horrible.
Old 07-31-19, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

US military has an endless supply of live terrorists.

Why not use them, instead of grandma.
Old 07-31-19, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know Iím a man with a cynical sense of self worth. But Iím ok with being blown up after Iím dead. Being sent out to a test site sounds epic. Too bad I wonít be around to enjoy it.
Old 07-31-19, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Also: I once knew Mr Gore. I use my real name on here so I donít want to say much more. Never kept in touch with him during his run as a business owner. Crazy to read a story like that and reflect on the time I knew him.
Old 08-03-19, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I know Iím a man with a cynical sense of self worth. But Iím ok with being blown up after Iím dead. Being sent out to a test site sounds epic. Too bad I wonít be around to enjoy it.
Once I'm dead, what's left behind is just more stuff that has to be disposed of, like my old concert T-shirts.
Old 08-03-19, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Letís see what happens to a Pink Floyd tee in an explosion!
Old 08-03-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
When I first saw this thread title, I thought it said "Amazon". It made sense...
Delivery drone victims?
Old 08-03-19, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
At least they bodies weren't alive.
Well, they were at some point ...
Old 08-03-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

UPDATE: Dead?
Old 08-05-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
Yeah, I'm not hung up over silly superstitions about what constitutes a "proper" burial, so I'd be good with this too, it's just dead meat at that point. I'd much prefer having my body blown to smithereens rather than a bunch of medical students poking and prodding my corpse, ick!