Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

It Was Fifty Years Ago Today ... One Small Step!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-20-19, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

July 20th, 1969 we (mankind) set foot on the Moon. To this day, it's still one of the most amazing accomplishments in history!

I was 13, and my dad worked on the Apollo project at Rockwell in Downey, CA. Like a lot of other people that day, I was glued to the TV.

Were you alive for the landing? What are your memories?
Old 07-20-19, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: It Was Fifty Years Ago Today ... One Small Step!

The family was also glued to the tv.
Old 07-20-19, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
To this day, it's still one of the most amazing accomplishments in history!
Iíd argue that itís the single greatest accomplishment in human history.

About 15 years ago I bumped into Buzz Aldrin at a meeting he was attending and to this day I regret not asking him for an autograph. I was too intimidated to ask him for one.
Old 07-20-19, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aldrin's a badass. He did some commentary this week during the anniversary of the launch. I'm going to watch Apollo 11 again today to celebrate it. Sad though as someone mentioned on Twitter - as we celebrate this 50th anniversary, how it now seems to be the peak of US space exploration. Maybe that will change once mein dictator is gone.

Last edited by E Unit; 07-20-19 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-20-19, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It blows my mind that we walked on the moon fifty years ago, and nothing since. 2019-1969. We're as far away from the moon landing now as they were from World War I in 1969.

And what's even more mind-boggling is that it was less than ten years since the first man went into space. Less a decade from being a completely earth-bound species to landing and walking on the moon. And in the forty-seven years since Apollo 17, we haven't gone back. Nor has anyone even attempted to land on Mars.

The last man walked on the moon before I was born, so nobody has set foot on the moon in my lifetime.

Only a dozen men have walked on the moon, and only four of them are still alive. Before long, there won't be anyone left alive who went to the moon, and it becomes ancient history.
Old 07-20-19, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post

Iíd argue that itís the single greatest accomplishment in human history.

I started writing it that way, but figured I'd tone it down a notch to avoid someone needing to argue the point.
Old 07-20-19, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by E Unit View Post
Adrin's a badass. He did some commentary this week during the anniversary of the launch. I'm going to watch Apollo 11 again today to celebrate it. Sad though as someone mentioned on Twitter - as we celebrate this 50th anniversary, how it now seems to be the peak of US space exploration. Maybe that will change once mein dictator is gone.
Funny how facts never seem to follow you around:

May 22, 2019.

https://qz.com/1625496/house-rejects...e-force-plans/

Last week, the White House submitted a late funding request for an additional $1.6 billion in spending on a proposed Artemis moon program to return astronauts to the lunar surface by 2024. Today, the House Appropriations committee left that request out of its spending plan for NASA and ignored many of the administration’s other space priorities.
In any case, if you read your history, you will find NASA and other space exploration programs have been cut dramatically, year after year...by both political parties.

Mission Impossible, indeed.
Old 07-20-19, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

From the link DP posted of the 2 month old article.

The White House is filling in the blanks on its promise to return astronauts to the lunar surface by 2024, requesting another $1.6 billion in funding (pdf) on top of the $21 billion already proposed in US president Donald Trump’s budget for the 2020 fiscal year.

But it is far from clear if Trump or the agency can win over a skeptical Congress. The administration proposes to get the money by repurposing unused funding earmarked for Pell grants, the government financial aid program for low-income college students.

A budget official told the AP that the cuts would not affect current Pell Grant recipients, but the optics of cutting the grants in a time of rising student debt may leave the ambitious moon mission dead on arrival.
Also, what was forgotten in DP's bullshit was that Trump recently fired the head of NASA because they're not moving fast enough. You know, because we want another Challenger and Columbia mishap by meeting some unrealistic deadline.
Old 07-20-19, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
It blows my mind that we walked on the moon fifty years ago, and nothing since. 2019-1969. We're as far away from the moon landing now as they were from World War I in 1969.
That's because these days we spend our time and money on more important pursuits like renaming manhole covers maintenance holes, banning straws, and bitching on twitter all day.
Old 07-20-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It does boggle my mind how man landed on the moon given how much radioactivity is out there. How the f--- they managed to counter that situation given how technology was less advanced years ago. Fascinating. Yet today technology is more advanced but it seems we have taken one small step behind when it comes to more space exploration.
Old 07-20-19, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
Funny how facts never seem to follow you around:

May 22, 2019.

https://qz.com/1625496/house-rejects...e-force-plans/

In any case, if you read your history, you will find NASA and other space exploration programs have been cut dramatically, year after year...by both political parties.

Mission Impossible, indeed.
Yeah, he also wants a Space Force. Iíve read my history since 1985.
Old 07-20-19, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Indianapolis, IN. So sorry this is happening to you.
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Tweet from William Shatner:

Old 07-20-19, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bronkster View Post
I started writing it that way, but figured I'd tone it down a notch to avoid someone needing to argue the point.
Well, with this being the internet and all, youíre damned if you do and damned if you donít.
Old 07-20-19, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Buzz is the MAN. I truly cant believe people think this could be faked and kept quiet all these years. Boggles the mind.

the version I saw on FB looped the punch a number of times. Dude is packing some heat at 89
Old 07-20-19, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Thatís why I was afraid to ask for an autograph. Iím certainly not a moon denier but still...
Old 07-20-19, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
From the link DP posted of the 2 month old article.

Also, what was forgotten in DP's bullshit was that Trump recently fired the head of NASA because they're not moving fast enough. You know, because we want another Challenger and Columbia mishap by meeting some unrealistic deadline.
The Challenger and Columbia tragedies had nothing to do with moving fast. It had everything to do with buying faulty parts. Shit happens. That's no reason to stop a program or make it crawl to a snail's pace, just because you wanna be "safe". If safety had its way into the Moon missions...it wouldn't have happened at all. Russia and China would have beaten us to the Moon, and we'd probably wouldn't even have a NASA organization today due to lack of interest because of our failures.

I don't wanna hear, "We can't do it." That's for people who want to be last. We can get to the Moon, and 2024 was perfectly reasonable, imo, but the head of NASA whined and complained and so...he got his ass booted from the program.

You think people who whined and complained back in the original plans to go to the Moon were left hanging around? I think not. We had to be edgy, we had to take risks, we had reasons to boldly go where nobody had gone before. NASA needs to be a leaner and more focused organization, instead of sending little cutie pie trinkets to Mars, and posting selfies of it on the net. That's bullshit and won't get us anywhere in reality. The Moon...should be priority. After that, we can take selfies on Mars.

The only bullshit I observe, is blaming one dude for all of the nation's, and the world's, problems. To that, I giggle uncontrollably. And you and a handful of other people continue to vomit nonsense:

Obama Admin cut NASA by 20% in 2013: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spac...administration

But like I said, both parties are responsible for NASA's under-funding and went right along with the Presidents' requests to de-fund many programs.

I guess that's MORE bullshit I guess. Better shutdown the internet.

So, how about we just stop the finger-pointing that E-Unit in his post that was outside the politics forum and just get back to what this thread was about since you and he, do not want to know about the other people that underfunded and defunded many NASA programs.

NASA has been underfunded time and time again, and in my opinion, there are reasons for it, and in some cases, no reasons at all except for it not being a priority in the nation's budget system.

I say stop all this Mars nonsense, and focus on the Moon, and dedicate all monies to the Moon and how to colonize it and set up an actual working base.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 07-20-19 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-20-19, 04:26 PM

Just got home. We went to mall in D.C. to see all of the Apollo 11 50th anniversary festivities. Lots of tents with presentations, including a moon rock brought back by Apollo 17.

The heat is bad. It is sunny, almost 100F and humid. The ice cream trucks were making a killing. We didn't bother trying to go into the Air & Space museum, the lines to get in were way too long.
Old 07-20-19, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Question for those who are interested in the Moon. And no internet searching, please.

What is the largest rocket ever made by NASA to get humans to the Moon?

(Hint: It's also a Lego set)
Old 07-20-19, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yes, it was quite an achievement. And, OP, curiously enough, my Uncle also worked for Rockwell in Long Beach during, and many years prior to the Moon landing.

Of course it is sheer folly to blame one man for the lack of impetus for continuing our space program. What's even more unbelievable is that a very, very vocal contingent has the sheer audacity to claim that it was all faked! Similar crackpots with small neural connections claim that the Holocaust was faked. They should be lined up and sent into the vacuum of outer space (along with the Anti-vaccination crackpots, by the way).

The real reason we've not gone back is that the event is "done" now. Its zeitgeist is already in the human psyche, and the impetus to repeat and repeat again is not there. There is psychological and financial inertia which is difficult to impossible to overcome. This, 50 years on, is compounded by a great percentage of people (Millennials and many Gen X'ers) who weren't alive then, so they do NOT know the sheer excitement -- and coming togther as a Nation -- the landing generated. People have become jaded about it, just as most are now about WWII and Korea. It's an old man's club, etc Sad, but true.
Old 07-20-19, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I watched it on TV. I had the Gulf Oil cardboard lunar lander hanging from the ceiling of my bedroom. I had the book We Came In Peace. I touched a moon rock at the Smithsonian.

When I became an adult when I learned that the moon mission was an exercise in Cold War implicit threats. If we can put a man on the moon, we can put unstoppable missiles on the moon. I learned that there was a second set of NASA astronauts in the same training program who didn't get any press. They were the military mission.

The cost of putting men on the moon was 4.5% of the federal budget. All we got for it was a box of rocks. Space travel is hard and so far it's been unrewarding. I'd love to see a self-sufficient base on the moon. But we can't even make a self-sufficient bio dome in Tuscon.

My grandfather told me that the Wright brothers' first flight was only a few years before he was born, and he lived to see man walk on the moon. That's an amazing story for one lifetime. But nobody is going to advance that story. My story is that the integrated circuit was invented only a few years before I was born, and I lived to see people carrying internet terminals in their pockets. It's an extraordinary story, but it isn't facing outward.
Old 07-20-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I watched it on TV. I had the Gulf Oil cardboard lunar lander hanging from the ceiling of my bedroom. I had the book We Came In Peace. I touched a moon rock at the Smithsonian.

When I became an adult when I learned that the moon mission was an exercise in Cold War implicit threats. If we can put a man on the moon, we can put unstoppable missiles on the moon. I learned that there was a second set of NASA astronauts in the same training program who didn't get any press. They were the military mission.

The cost of putting men on the moon was 4.5% of the federal budget. All we got for it was a box of rocks. Space travel is hard and so far it's been unrewarding. I'd love to see a self-sufficient base on the moon. But we can't even make a self-sufficient bio dome in Tuscon.

My grandfather told me that the Wright brothers' first flight was only a few years before he was born, and he lived to see man walk on the moon. That's an amazing story for one lifetime. But nobody is going to advance that story. My story is that the integrated circuit was invented only a few years before I was born, and I lived to see people carrying internet terminals in their pockets. It's an extraordinary story, but it isn't facing outward.
It's amazing how so much education we have in the US and how almost everyone has 4 years of college these days...and yet we're so hobbled.
Old 07-20-19, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, education isn't what it used to be... It's watered-down by grade inflation and "no child must fail" mantra. So, 4 years of college is about equivalent to 4 years of high school was 50 years ago. The average high school graduate of 1969 was more literate, had better diction & vocabulary, had better critical thinking skills, etc than the average college graduate of today. Really, now kids aren't really 'adults' until at least age 22-23, and childhood has been extended to encompass the 4-year college span, on a societal level.
Old 07-20-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
^ Thatís why I was afraid to ask for an autograph. Iím certainly not a moon denier but still...

Judging from that video he packs a mean punch.
Old 07-20-19, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Indianapolis, IN. So sorry this is happening to you.
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I had the Gulf Oil cardboard lunar lander hanging from the ceiling of my bedroom.
I had one of those too, to anyone that may not know what we are talking about, here is an example of what it looked like.

Last edited by mspmms; 07-20-19 at 06:20 PM.
Old 07-20-19, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei View Post
It's amazing how so much education we have in the US and how almost everyone has 4 years of college these days...and yet we're so hobbled.
I don't see the connection between what you highlighted and your comment.

Space travel is hard because everything has to be accelerated to a fast speed, requiring lots of energy. Everything is far away, so it takes a long time to get to any place farther than the moon. Humans require a huge amount of life support in food, water, air, shielding from high speed particles, and cubic meters of housing. All that is heavy, has to be accelerated to a fast speed, which requires much more energy, and has to be sustained for a long time.

Those are unbeatable laws of mass,energy, and velocity, and they aren't going to change if average education is improved.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.