Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

If polygamy was legal in the US would you live/support it?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do you support polygamy?
Yes
57.14%
Nope
35.71%
More than one is twice the fun
3.57%
Twikoff
3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-19, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I be very honest I wouldn't mind living with two wives. When one is sick the other is healthy and vice versa. I know some guys that live with more than 2 women in the US and have many children and have no complaints.

Would you live that lifestyle or support it? Or are you against it?
Old 07-08-19, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: If polygamy was legal in the US would you live/support it?

I guess I have to answer 'yes' because I support it, but it's not for me.
Old 07-08-19, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Being married to multiple wives? No. Fucking multiple women at the same time without being married, hell yeah.
Old 07-08-19, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No, of course not. I'm not so vain, self-important, and entitled that I should have the need or "responsibility" to create multiple hellspawn with multiple wives. People who do so for "bragging rights" like that couple with 20 kids are the worst kind of self- righteous people. "We're doing God's work!" Etc, etc.

The concept smacks of cult religion, wreckless disregard for environmental stewardship, and wanton hedonism.

It's no longer 1800. People should be having fewer children (and actually are! thank goodness!).

So, I'm quite happy to keep polygamy illegal and immoral, thank you very much!
Old 07-08-19, 10:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Why So Blu? View Post
Being married to multiple wives? No. Fucking multiple women at the same time without being married, hell yeah.
For me it's a big no to both of those. One woman has been more than enough in both situations.

Not that I have anything for/against polygamy. To each his/her own.
Old 07-08-19, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not polygamy, but poly in general. Marriages of more than two people. Sort of like incorporations into tribes.
Old 07-08-19, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

If all adult parties (two husbands and one wife too, or what the fuck, three or more adults of whatever gender) are in agreement, go for it. (Especially if they can handle that shit.) As far as legality? No informed opinion.

Originally Posted by zyzzle View Post
No, of course not. I'm not so vain, self-important, and entitled that I should have the need or "responsibility" to create multiple hellspawn with multiple wives. People who do so for "bragging rights" like that couple with 20 kids are the worst kind of self- righteous people. "We're doing God's work!" Etc, etc.

The concept smacks of cult religion, wreckless disregard for environmental stewardship, and wanton hedonism.

It's no longer 1800. People should be having fewer children (and actually are! thank goodness!).

So, I'm quite happy to keep polygamy illegal and immoral, thank you very much!
Did you ever consider some might want such a relationship for, I don't know, many, many other reasons?
Old 07-08-19, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa

Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
When one is sick the other is healthy and vice versa.
Good luck with that. More like itís one more person with the flu keeping one of the toilets busy.

Last edited by majorjoe23; 07-09-19 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-09-19, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Kurt D View Post
IDid you ever consider some might want such a relationship for, I don't know, many, many other reasons
Sure, but the majority of people who get married do so for the family, kids, and other family stuff. Polygamy is marriage, so its very nature implies multiple families and many children from one virile (or so he believes, for he may just be full of himself) man.

Having multiple girlfriends / cohabits = "having a girl in every port" and usually children aren't involved in that. I view this as OK, justifiable, although hedonistic, but not as "selfish" as wanting to spread your seed to many wives, as the central theme of polygamy posits. I suppose if the man is incredibly mature, responsible, and financially secure, it might be possible. But how many is that? 0.01% of those who would make a try of it?

It seems like you'd have to be some kind of superman and micromanager extraordinaire to DEAL with the myriad problems and doubtless CONSTANT drama of having either multiple wives or girlfriends. No thanks, I'd consider water torture to be easier to deal with.
Old 07-09-19, 05:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't care if other people choose that lifestyle, but it's not for me. I love my Wife to death, but sometimes she gets on my very last nerve. I couldn't even imagine trying to make to or three wives happy. My Wife used to watch Sister Wives, and I really don't see how the husband does it. He's constantly going from one house to the next, visiting one of his Wives and the children they have together.

I think it's sad for the kids, he and his four wives are close to having twenty kids among them. You know the kids have to feel like they are being raised by a single Mom and very seldom if ever get to spend quality time from the Dad.
Old 07-09-19, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My guess is that a lot of this is going on anyway - the person (male or female) just isn't legally wed to his/her partners.
Old 07-09-19, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

As we've discussed gay marriage over the last decade, we've learned that marriage comes with a lot of powers. Multiple marriage brings up a lot of problems that would have to be sorted out one at a time.

If the husband of two wives dies without a will, whose children inherit the indivisible asset? If one partner is in the hospital and brain dead, which husband decides whether to pull the plug? If it's a V-shaped marriage (or hub and spokes), what is the legal relationship between the two ends of the V if the central person dies? Or if it's a chain marriage, what happens to all those other people if one link decides to get a divorce?

In cultures where polygamy has long been legal, and in places where a concubine is recognized by law, these sort of questions had their answers built up over time as the world got more complex. For us, gay marriage simply meant giving another group of people an existing body of rights. Legalizing polygamy would be a hard slog.

I'd support the legalization of polygamy, but I can't see it happening.

I would prefer that energy were put into removing old laws from the books that criminalize consensual sex. Adultery shouldn't be illegal, or fornication. Those laws aren't being enforced right now, but they could be in the future. BDSM is still prosecuted as assault, and consent is not a defense.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 07-09-19 at 08:05 AM.
Old 07-09-19, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I am torn. On the one hand, if consenting adults want to engage in this sort of relationship, more power to them. On the other hand, I do not support polygamy resulting from people raised in a culture of polygamy (a la Mormons) because I start to wonder if upbringing doesn't trump free will at this point.

One thing to consider is that marriage, as a legal construct, is a multi-faceted institution. There are tax codes and a whole lot of laws and precedents (inheritance, divorce, rights of visitation, etc.) that would have to be adjusted to account for legal polygamy. Sounds like a gigantic mess, to be honest.
Old 07-09-19, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by jfoobar View Post
I am torn. On the one hand, if consenting adults want to engage in this sort of relationship, more power to them. On the other hand, I do not support polygamy resulting from people raised in a culture of polygamy (a la Mormons) because I start to wonder if upbringing doesn't trump free will at this point.

One thing to consider is that marriage, as a legal construct, is a multi-faceted institution. There are tax codes and a whole lot of laws and precedents (inheritance, divorce, rights of visitation, etc.) that would have to be adjusted to account for legal polygamy. Sounds like a gigantic mess, to be honest.
The reality is, globally, free will does not exist in polygamy. In practice it is abuse and should be banned worldwide.

I am personally not interested in the pollyanna hypothetical presented here. One partner is more than enough for me.
Old 07-09-19, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I fully support the idea that human beings can love multiple partners at the same time. Whether or not the government should recognize those types of marriages, I have no idea. Maybe some kind of idea where you can "marry" as many people as you want, but the government will only officially recognize the first, so you need to take care of the legal implications of marrying the rest yourself.
Old 07-09-19, 10:55 AM
Admin-Thanos

I support it, but Nick does bring up some good points.
Old 07-09-19, 11:05 AM

As much as having multiple sex partners appeals to me, it is enough work putting up with, and keeping one woman happy.
Old 07-09-19, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

How would you dudes feel being one of multiple husbands to one woman?
Old 07-09-19, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I already openly support consenting adults in the various relationships that fall under the "poly" umbrella including multiple husbands. I would have no problem with them becoming Legal.
Old 07-09-19, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Naw...too much work.
Old 07-09-19, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does the woman have twice the libido? So that you'd be getting the same amount of sex, but only have to put up with 1/2 the attitude?
Old 07-09-19, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Marriage is a religious farce but if you want to marry 200 people I say go for it. As long as all participants are of legal age.

Can you imagine the hell of having four wives and each is on the rag at different times?
Old 07-09-19, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Shit, tons of people are in "poly" relationships and don't even know it yet. The way I see it, if a man or woman can have children by multiple partners in or outside of marriage and it not be illegal, why should marrying those same people be illegal?
Old 07-09-19, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by slop101 View Post
How would you dudes feel being one of multiple husbands to one woman?

That's just called a gangbang.
Old 07-09-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Shit, tons of people are in "poly" relationships and don't even know it yet. The way I see it, if a man or woman can have children by multiple partners in or outside of marriage and it not be illegal, why should marrying those same people be illegal?

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.