Average age of cars in the U.S. has hit a new record

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 07-02-19, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How old is your car?

Maybe the car manufacturers might have a closed door meeting among competitors to make cars that don't last that long so they can sell more new cars.

The average age of cars and trucks in the U.S. has hit a record 11.8 years, as better quality and technology allows people to keep them on the road longer.The 2019 figures from data provider IHS Markit show that the rate of increase is slowing, but the average age is still expected to go over 12 years early in the next decade. The average age is up 0.1 years from 2018.People are feeling comfortable keeping vehicles longer because they're built better than in the past, said IHS Markit Director of Global Automotive Aftermarket Mark Seng."

The quality is higher, lasting longer, withstanding the weather," Seng said.Plus, original owners are keeping their vehicles longer and maintaining them better because they're financing them for longer, six or even seven years in many cases, he said."That helps improve the overall life of the vehicle," he said.

Western states have the oldest vehicles at 12.4 years, while in the Northeast the average age is only 10.9 years. That's due largely to less stop-and-start traffic that wears on a vehicle. Weather conditions also play a part.Montana has the oldest average age at 16.6 years, while the youngest is Vermont, with an average age of 9.9 years.The aging vehicles should be a boon to repair shops, which may want to change strategies to cater to owners of older vehicles who may want to spend less on parts, Seng said.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/old-c...110059001.html

Old 07-02-19, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Average age of cars in the U.S. has hit a new record

My 4Runner going strong at 13 years.
Old 07-02-19, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

1995 Saab Aero
1994 Buick Roadmaster Wagon
1995 Honda Gold Wing motorcycle
1999 Suzuki Bandit motorcycle

Reduce reuse recycle. Why buy new vehicles when the old ones still work?
Old 07-02-19, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I wonder how much the rise of companies like Carmax which make the traditional, horrible used car buying experience into a no-hassle transaction, affects this as well.
Old 07-02-19, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

New cars suck, that's why.
Old 07-02-19, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm driving a 2012 Lexus CT200h right now. I really like the car.

Wish I kept my 2002 Chevy Cavalier as a commuter car. It was running fine at 250k miles. And so simple and easy to fix.

Cars now seem to have so many computer controls and proprietary widgets it's almost impossible to do any service yourself. Everything in the Cavalier was so easy and accessible.

I once changed a headlight in my VW Golf and was like WTF. It's like they put 20x things in front of it, just so you pay $40 to have it done at the dealership.
Old 07-02-19, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Reduce reuse recycle. Why buy new vehicles when the old ones still work?
I've heard this plenty, and believe it. The carbon footprint of an older car with lesser MPG is lower than buying a new Tesla.
Old 07-02-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

13 year old Sequoia
Old 07-02-19, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2010 Impreza
2015 Frontier

I'll keep them going as long as possible. Even though I would love to have a new car to replace my Impreza, it works just fine and hasn't cost much in upkeep.
Old 07-02-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought my F150 in 1998 (it's a 1999) and have no plans to replace it.
Old 07-02-19, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
13 year old Sequoia

Old 07-02-19, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

My 1st car that I started making payments for out of my own money was a 1998 Honda Accord DX.

It went through hell and back and managed to survive 10 years and 200,000+ miles. But, the cost for repairs was piling up and eventually I sold it for $2,000

I hate car payments. Currently I have a 2018 Kia Sportage that I had no choice to get because someone crashed into my parked 2012 Kia Sorento a year ago and totaled it. That car was completely paid off and I had no plans on getting a new one. Once this Sportage is paid off, I hope to keep it for at least 7-8 years and 100,000 plus miles.

I know not everyone has piles of cash laying around for a new car or has good enough credit for it. So you have to stick with your paid off as long as possible.
Old 07-02-19, 12:43 PM

2011 CRZ w/ ~225k miles. I still hope to keep it for several more years though. Only major issue I have w/ it is the AC compressor keeps going out. It works fine, until you get into stop/go traffic then after awhile it just dies... when you need it most of course
Old 07-02-19, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler View Post
I'm driving a 2012 Lexus CT200h right now. I really like the car.
Nice! The CT200h was at the top of my list for my next vehicle... of course like every other car I like, the manufacturer discontinues it.

I think that the greatest reason why people are driving older cars has to do with the price of new cars drastically outpacing salaries. Extending the length of a loan can only do so much.

My 2007 Jeep Patriot is still going strong (sold it to my son 4 years ago), and my 2015 Patriot will be paid off in December and I plan to keep it for at least another 8 years... but Trixie's 2007 Mini Cooper will need to be replaced soon. (the CT200h was going to replace that)
Old 07-02-19, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm currently driving a 2015 Dodge Dart that will be paid off next year. After that my plan it to ride it until the wheels fall off. My wife drives a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan which she would probably like to get rid of, but it has a lifetime powertrain warranty on it that just got our transmission replaced for free, so I'm in no hurry to buy something new.
Old 07-02-19, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mrs. Danger View Post
New cars suck, that's why.
New cars offer little incentive to upgrade after a short period of time. Body styles don't change that much, and the only recent upgrades are things like Apple Carplay and larger screens for backup cameras Performance, safety features, etc. have plateaued. I have a three year old Outback, and see little realistic reason to get rid of it.

But I imagine this average is not uniform nationwide, as I often see cars from the late 90's around here, especially XJ Jeep Cherokees and WJ Grand Cherokees, not to mention the endless parade of ancient F150's. I've been in more affluent areas, and none of the cars there look to be more than five years old.
Old 07-02-19, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I drove a 20 year car until last year because I hate car payments. She finally died last spring and I bought a new car. I figured after driving such an old car for so long, I deserved the upgrade.
Old 07-02-19, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I drive a 1999 Explorer. Bought it brand new for cash day after Thanksgiving 1998. It had 5 miles on the odometer. I've done every scheduled maintanence(sp?) at the dealer and had any repair done at the dealer. I've kept every piece of paperwork concerning everything that's ever been done to it. Mechanically, it's perfect. Seats and carpet are showing some wear. Vinyl, plastic, paint and wheels won't shine up like they used to. I'm going to see just how long I can make it last.
Old 07-02-19, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I drive a 2009. Outside of regular maintenance, it's required virtually no repairs. I also demand a CD player and new models these days rarely come with a CD option.
Old 07-02-19, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, one other thing that I forgot to mention is that before I bought my Dart in 2015, I drove a Jeep Wrangler for 14 years and over 250,000 miles.
Old 07-02-19, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

For me it’s that new cars offer very little.

From 1990 to 2010 cars change and improved so much. They got safer, faster, more reliable, more mpg. It’s like the manufacturers have maxed out what they can do.

Every ten years toyota would re revamp the 4Runner. Each one would be drastically different. The latest iteration is exactly like the old one. My 2006 and the new 2019 are the same frame, same engine, same drivetrain, same 4x4 system, same dimensions, same everything. All they did was redesign the body and the interior a little. Why would I buy a new one?
Old 07-02-19, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like having no car payments, so we tend to drive our cars into the ground. One is only five years old and still running (and looking) great, but the other one is 11 years old now, and is getting close to being a money pit. Next time something major happens to it, we'll probably just get a new car instead of paying a lot to get it fixed. Hey, it's had a good run.
Old 07-02-19, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
For me it’s that new cars offer very little.

From 1990 to 2010 cars change and improved so much. They got safer, faster, more reliable, more mpg. It’s like the manufacturers have maxed out what they can do.

Every ten years toyota would re revamp the 4Runner. Each one would be drastically different. The latest iteration is exactly like the old one. My 2006 and the new 2019 are the same frame, same engine, same drivetrain, same 4x4 system, same dimensions, same everything. All they did was redesign the body and the interior a little. Why would I buy a new one?
Yes, 1990 to 2005 or so was a magical age in car innovation and design. The last 15 years or so have stagnated. Oh, you'd better believe that they *could* make drastic design improvements, but they're lazy and resting on their laurels. And companies like Ford are switching to trucks only, stifiling innovation *by design* in the name of greed. It's sickening.

The next big thing is EVs but Big Oil and their kickbacks are contributing to the glacial pace there. By 2030, things will probably be ready for prime time in that arena, as govenment mandates phase out ICEs entirely.
Old 07-02-19, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My dad had this car from the 70's and it lasted until maybe 2004 or 2005 but it never really broke down which is surprising since it was made in the U.S.

If you had to drive this car you wish it would break down since it had no AC or anti-lock brakes.

Old 07-02-19, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are there cars from the 70's and 80's that you find still on the road?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.