Reload this Page >

I need an idea for a gift (manga).

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 06-15-19, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Since I just went to the Book forum, it was covered in dirt and cobwebs, and I needed a rope and a headlamp to get out, I might as well ask here:

My nephew (20) is nuts about manga and I want to buy him a gift, maybe some sort of collector's edition? He already owns a lot of manga but he doesn't have the $$$ to buy expensive stuff. Plus, I can always ask his mom to check on his shelves if he has a title or not (I know some of what he has but not all).

Any ideas? Or maybe I should ask on r/manga or some other specialized forum?
Old 06-15-19, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: I need an idea for a gift (manga).

maybe a year subscription to https://www.crunchyroll.com/ or something?
Old 06-15-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That looks like a streaming service? I don't know if he's a manga purist, but he only seems to be interested in books.
Old 06-15-19, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

They have both, though the samples of manga are so tiny I can't tell if they are in english or not. I'd assume so?

https://www.crunchyroll.com/comics/manga

I haven't used this service at all, I just remember hearing about it whenever people mention anime/manga. There may be other sites that specialize in just manga.
Old 06-15-19, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If he has a tablet then yeah that. If not it depends on what he's into, Manga covers a ton of genres.
Old 06-15-19, 03:21 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by eXcentris View Post
Since I just went to the Book forum, it was covered in dirt and cobwebs, and I needed a rope and a headlamp to get out, I might as well ask here:
Book Talk is dead, but Comic Book Talk is among our more active forums.

Im not into manga, but it would be hard to recommend one without knowing more of what he likes. Manga covers everything. Its like asking someone, My nephew likes music. Recommend me some music to buy him.
Old 06-15-19, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I know he read Naruto, Dragon Ball, Full Metal Alchemist, Death Note, Akira, Devilman,... And lately, I remember him reading Uzumaki because I told him I have the movie. Same with Lone Wolf and Cub. I also think we discussed Blade of the Immortal.

Anyway, I asked him what his top 5 manga are. When he replies, I'll have a better idea.
Old 06-15-19, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

The crunchyroll manga app stinks, but it does have Attack on Titan manga every month.

Also, if he has an ipad and he likes shonen jump stuff, there's a subscription that basically gets you a pretty huge vault of that:
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump

Also if he has some kind of tablet there's an excellent humble bundle on Kodansha titles:
https://www.humblebundle.com/books/m...n=tile_index_4

But yeah, it really really depends on what kind of manga he likes. I'll give some recommendations that would make for cool gifts, though he may already have them. If you tell us what kind of manga he's into I can make more specific recommendations.

That Kodansha humble bundle has Vinland Saga and that's the way to go if you just want to read it. It's an excellent "historical" manga about Vikings, but the physical volumes are gorgeous hardcover volumes that would appeal to a collector (if he doesn't already have it). It's also getting an anime soon:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vinland+saga&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vinland+saga&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Mobile Suit Gundam: the Origin also comes in really neat hardcover volumes if he likes mecha. It's a retelling of the classic Gundam series but done more like the original novels and less on selling toys/model kits:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gundam+origin&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss https://www.amazon.com/s?k=gundam+origin&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss

It's super dark but Dark Horse just came out with a deluxe volume of the fantasy/horror series Berserk. It's a long series and I have no idea if they'll ever finish it in this format but that's mainly because it might go on for a decade or so more:
https://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Deluxe-1-Kentaro-Miura/dp/1506711987/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=manga+hardcover&qid=1560628559&s=books&sr=1-1 https://www.amazon.com/Berserk-Deluxe-1-Kentaro-Miura/dp/1506711987/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=manga+hardcover&qid=1560628559&s=books&sr=1-1

I think almost every manga collector already has this on his shelf but Hisao Miyazaki's masterpiece, Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind, is also available in a hardbound set:
https://www.amazon.com/Nausica%C3%A4-Valley-Wind-Box-Set/dp/1421550644/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=manga+hardcover&qid=1560628660&s=books&sr=1-3 https://www.amazon.com/Nausica%C3%A4-Valley-Wind-Box-Set/dp/1421550644/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=manga+hardcover&qid=1560628660&s=books&sr=1-3

On the comedic side, these aren't hardcovers but I don't know anyone that wouldn't crack a smile reading Yotsuba&! (Yotsubato):
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=yotsuba&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 https://www.amazon.com/s?k=yotsuba&i=stripbooks&ref=nb_sb_noss_2
Old 06-15-19, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Thanks. Off that list, I'm pretty sure he's already read Berserk and Gundam. I'll wait for him to reply on "what are your top 5 manga" and if that doesn't help, I might just ask him what's on his wish list.
Old 06-15-19, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He essentially replied "that's an existential question because I've read a shitload".

He named these as his favorites:

1- Ravages of Time
2- Vagabond
3- Berserk

He also mentioned: death note, dorohedoro, vinland saga, ah monsters, 20th century boys.

Maybe I'll just try to find some "History of Manga" type book. Or something about Japan, he really really wants to go there.
Old 06-15-19, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok after more prodding, it looks like Nausicaa is my best bet. Being mostly into books, he doesn't know much about Miyazaki although he mentioned Spirited Away. But I listed a whole bunch of titles (including Nausicaa) and that didn't ring a bell. And that edition fujishig linked to looks beautiful. It's $72 on Amazon.ca but price history (3 x camel canada) shows it often goes under $60 (with a low of $40) so I'll set up an alert.
Old 06-16-19, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've never been a huge manga fan but really enjoyed reading Sanctuary, which delves into Japanese politics and the Yakuza lifestyle (and there is a good amount of sex and violence, which a 20 year old male might like ). Quick plot summary from Wikipedia:

Sanctuary is a story that featured two childhood friends, Akira Hojo and Chiaki Asami, who are ruthlessly struggling to set a new paradigm of living in Japan. However, the two friends took radically different paths (playing rock-paper-scissors to decide their roles): Akira chose the dark path and joined a Yakuza gang, while Chiaki strived to become the youngest member of the Japanese Diet. As survivors of the Cambodian killing fields, the two characters developed an unmatched aggression and survival instincts, helping them to achieve their common ultimate goal: making Japan their own sanctuary.
Old 06-17-19, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ok after more prodding, it looks like Nausicaa is my best bet. Being mostly into books, he doesn't know much about Miyazaki although he mentioned Spirited Away. But I listed a whole bunch of titles (including Nausicaa) and that didn't ring a bell. And that edition fujishig linked to looks beautiful. It's $72 on Amazon.ca but price history (3 x camel canada) shows it often goes under $60 (with a low of $40) so I'll set up an alert.
Nausicaa is the only long form manga Miyazaki has ever done, to my knowledge, and is a must own IMHO.

Btw he's got great taste, Vagabond is certainly up there and the only reason I didn't mention it is because it seems like it's on hiatus indefinitely.

If he likes samurai another one to try is Blade of the Immortal published by Dark Horse, though he may already have that as well. But you can't go wrong with Nausicaa.
Old 06-17-19, 12:31 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Since we have your attention and thorough advice here Fujishig, what’s your (or anyone’s) take on Attack on Titan?

I watched the first episode on Crunchyroll and enjoyed it, but wonder if it’s worth the long haul.

Same with the comics. Got like 30 volumes of it in a humble bundle, but haven’t started it yet.
Old 06-17-19, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup, Nausicaa was a great suggestion, thanks again. I hadn't thought of Miyazaki because I just think anime/movies and not manga. I think he mentioned Blade of the Immortal before, but I'm gonna stop prying because he'll know something's afoot.

It's interesting how we connect because I don't read manga, but I've seen a shitload of Asian films. After reading "Ravages of Time", he asked me if I knew a movie about the 3 Kingdoms. So I just go "Red Cliff" (although that's more of the transition right before that period), "Three Kingdoms: Resurrection of the Dragon", and there's the "Three Kingdoms" series with a whole bunch of episodes on YouTube. Same with "Vagabond" and Miyamoto Musashi. There's a boatload of movies/series about that character, including the awesome Samurai I, II, III trilogy with Toshiro Mifune. Anyway...!
Old 06-17-19, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Since we have your attention and thorough advice here Fujishig, what’s your (or anyone’s) take on Attack on Titan?

I watched the first episode on Crunchyroll and enjoyed it, but wonder if it’s worth the long haul.

Same with the comics. Got like 30 volumes of it in a humble bundle, but haven’t started it yet.
Attack on Titan is a VERY different story than it started out with. If you're fine with the anime I almost suggest just waiting for it if heyre going to continue with it so you won't get spoiled. It's definitely worth a read but the initial reaction on some of his stuff when the anime gets to it is going to be great. Also although he's improved immensely the manga artist isn't the greatest and I greatly prefer the anime designs.

If you can't wait years, jump on in. I think the current anime arc is like volume 20 or so.

About the three kingdoms, there's a actually an incredible manga about the warring states period that predates it called Kingdom that unfortunately doesn't have an official manga release here (the anime was released but it covers jut the very beginning). So not much use in this thread but just thought I'd bring it up.

Old 06-20-19, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ditto on "Nausicaa," one of the very best manga series I've ever read.

You might want to take a chance on "The Osamu Tezuka Story," a massive manga biography of the Godfather of Manga.
"A Drifting Life" by Yoshihiro Tatsumi is a manga autobiography by a lesser known manga artist who was one of Tezuka's protegees. It was made into a feature-length animated biography called TATSUMI, that's also excellent.
Old 06-21-19, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Japanese reading lessons.
Old 06-21-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My Hero Academia is pretty popular (at least at anime cons that I take my kids to, there are lots of people dressed as characters from it). I assume it has a manga version and not just an animated version. Also One Punch Man seems to be liked by lots of people.
Old 07-10-19, 01:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'll just try to find some "History of Manga" type book. Or something about Japan, he really really wants to go there.
If you want to go that route:
Amazon Amazon

I went to a Manga exhibit at the British Museum in London in May, and that is the accompanying book. Excellent exhibit, excellent book!