Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Do spelling and grammar errors in threads hear annoy you or amuse you?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics
View Poll Results: Do spelling and grammar errors in this forum annoy or amuse you?
Annoy
29.17%
Amuse
16.67%
don't care
54.17%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-12-19, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

People in this forum get crapped on for spelling and grammar errors. What do you all think?

Do you laugh in amusement when someone misspells something so simple?

Does it drive you crazy when people here compose sentences that don't make sense or are so grammatically wrong? Like misusing their vs. they're sometimes?
Old 06-12-19, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

re: Do spelling and grammar errors in threads hear annoy you or amuse you?

Typos amuse me.

People that say things like "would of", or use "loose" when they mean "lose", or talk about Stanley Kubrick's The Shinning (no Simpsons references, please) annoy the shit out of me.
Old 06-12-19, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone who uses "worse" and "worst" interchangeably should be removed from the gene pool.
Old 06-12-19, 11:55 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

A malapropism walked into a bar, looking for all intensive purposes like a wolf in cheap clothing, muttering epitaphs and casting dispersions on his magnificent other, who takes him for granite.
Old 06-12-19, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Anyone who uses "worse" and "worst" interchangeably should be removed from the gene pool.
Truely, they are the worse!
Old 06-12-19, 12:06 PM

This thread is stoopid. Your all a bunch of loosers.
Old 06-12-19, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I love it in TV Talk when some posters mention shows having a 5-7 season arch.
Old 06-12-19, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

We're reeeally runnin' outta shit to talk'bout in dis 4rum....
Old 06-12-19, 12:32 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

It doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to.

A big part of my job is technical writing, so a lot of my days are spent not just typing, but figuring out how to communicate a process clearly and concisely (fun fact: our list of Non-approved verbs is about 4x longer than our list of Approved verbs). More to the point, I have to translate Engineer-English to English that people can actually understand; if any of you have done this too, I see you. I feel you.

That's why I'm so wordy (sometimes) here... I'm letting myself loose.

I mean, shit... some of y'all are terrible typists... but you have interesting ideas. So when it comes to forum posts, I'm far more forgiving as long as I can understand the point someone is making (except when they're the type to constantly 'correct' other peoples' posts, in which case, their own posts are fair game). Do I hate 'would of' ? Absolutely. That and many other errors. But people are doing their best with what they've got.

edit: Plus, there's kind of some charm to those who type poorly. On a long-gone forum I used to post in, one guy had the worst typing. Typos all over the place. He was a nice guy (even sent me some stuff in the mail). His excuse was that he just never bothered to proofread his posts and wasn't interested in taking a typing class. Anyway, a few years on, suddenly his typing was good. Like, really good. Perfect. He took a class. And then his posts were indistinguishable from anyone else's.
Old 06-12-19, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Smartphonez and Tuch screenz have made things wurser
Old 06-12-19, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

(fun fact: our list of Non-approved verbs is about 4x longer than our list of Approved verbs)

Thank goodness I don't have to know what that means. Our SOP for writing tells us to use words which were popular in corporate-speak about twenty years ago. Impact! Forward! Synergy! I just ignore it.
Old 06-12-19, 12:49 PM
Admin-Thanos

A lot of the errors are due to people posting from their phones. Auto correct and spellcheck are not really up to snuff on phones.
Old 06-12-19, 01:19 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
(fun fact: our list of Non-approved verbs is about 4x longer than our list of Approved verbs)

Thank goodness I don't have to know what that means. Our SOP for writing tells us to use words which were popular in corporate-speak about twenty years ago. Impact! Forward! Synergy! I just ignore it.
Sounds like marketing mumbo jumbo.

I'm talking about writing technical processes or work instructions that indicate how someone should perform a routine task. So, a non-approved verb is something like... press. It can be considered too vague because, as a verb, it can mean multiple things.
'Press the OK button' would instead be 'Click the OK button.' (some words, like Click, are ONLY allowed if describing a computer process)
'Press the widget into the other widget' would instead be 'Install the widget into the other widget, using a pneumatic press.' (where press is no longer the verb)
'Install' is weird, because it's approved even though it has different meanings based on the context in which it's written; installing a device into another device vs. installing a program on a computer. The context makes it less ambiguous I guess.
The point of this is to use language that can then easily be translated to other languages. Using the non-approved verbs, the translation is at a higher risk of being incorrect.

My pet theory is that it's more about writing instructions that can be easily translated to code, for the day when the robots take over the jobs that humans are doing. This is why I sneak in little logic circles* that a normal human wouldn't notice or think about, but would cause a robot to get stuck in a loop and self-destruct.

My kid and I read Amelia Bedelia books every once in awhile. Doing the stuff I do at work, I find those books give me a nice chuckle.

*Nah, I don't... but man, that would be a fun way to go about it.
Old 06-12-19, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
A lot of the errors are due to people posting from their phones. Auto correct and spellcheck are not really up to snuff on phones.
So the rest of us are just what???

Some poster here has a list of these types of errors in their signature. So it must bother the fuck out of that person.

They can be very amusing however. In text messages it is the worst. My girlfriend texted me something that ended with that she had been raped on the corner. She obviously was trying to say something else but I couldn't get in contact with her for a bit after. You can imagine what I was going through.
Old 06-12-19, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't care one way or the other. We're not sending professional emails or letters to each other this is a dvd discussion forum. I imagine the same senior members who care about this type of inconsequential stuff are the one's who care about people wearing hats indoors or saying sir to everyone they encounter.
Old 06-12-19, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can’t stand people who use loose and lose wrong.
Old 06-12-19, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Don't care at all because I can generally understand what the person is trying to communicate.
Old 06-12-19, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Absolutely. I'm pretty sure that one can still proofread their posts when using a phone. Some people really need to give that a try, because their posts make them look borderline illiterate.

Old 06-12-19, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, it bugs me. I probably see more of it than most, considering I live in the state ranked last in education and have a bad habit of reading the comments under news stories on Facebook. If I had a dollar for every time I’ve seen someone unironically say “Your an idiot” on a political post...
Another one that annoys is canon/cannon. It seems to mostly come up in Star Wars discussions.
Old 06-12-19, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Do spelling and grammar errors in threads hear annoy you or amuse you?

It bugs me. It bugs me a LOT.

But then again, I've got a Master's degree in English and have taught English for a large part of my adult life, so it's been trained out of me to let it slide.

As the scorpion said to the frog, "I can't help myself--it's in my nature."
Old 06-12-19, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo View Post
Another one that annoys is canon/cannon. It seems to mostly come up in Star Wars discussions.
Hey, maybe they are talking about a laser cannon?

My spelling peeve is when someone types "boarder" when they mean "border". I see this ALL the time from posters in the politics forum (for obvious reasons) and the number of people who don't know the difference really surprises me.
Old 06-12-19, 04:39 PM

I took several years of journalism classes in school, so misused or misspelled words jump out when I read them. I can forgive typos. I make them myself, however when I see the same words misspelled such as loose/lose, their/there/they're among others I look at it as a learning disability. The poster didn't pay enough attention in second grade when these words were taught, so I tend to discount their opinions.
Old 06-12-19, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to say I was amused by the use of "hear" in the thread title. My spelling sucks so I probably miss as much as I catch in that regard...

there appears to be a new "no regerts" picture out for tattoos.
Old 06-12-19, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Sounds like marketing mumbo jumbo.

I'm talking about writing technical processes or work instructions that indicate how someone should perform a routine task. So, a non-approved verb is something like... press. It can be considered too vague because, as a verb, it can mean multiple things.
'Press the OK button' would instead be 'Click the OK button.' (some words, like Click, are ONLY allowed if describing a computer process)
'Press the widget into the other widget' would instead be 'Install the widget into the other widget, using a pneumatic press.' (where press is no longer the verb)
'Install' is weird, because it's approved even though it has different meanings based on the context in which it's written; installing a device into another device vs. installing a program on a computer. The context makes it less ambiguous I guess.
The point of this is to use language that can then easily be translated to other languages. Using the non-approved verbs, the translation is at a higher risk of being incorrect.

My pet theory is that it's more about writing instructions that can be easily translated to code, for the day when the robots take over the jobs that humans are doing. This is why I sneak in little logic circles* that a normal human wouldn't notice or think about, but would cause a robot to get stuck in a loop and self-destruct.

My kid and I read Amelia Bedelia books every once in awhile. Doing the stuff I do at work, I find those books give me a nice chuckle.

*Nah, I don't... but man, that would be a fun way to go about it.
Interesting (but only to me, I suspect). I do always use "click" when I write a procedure about using a mouse. But I use "press" when using a physical button. "Enter the elevator. Press the numbered button for the desired floor." I don't know a better verb.

I ran across the word "etc." in a procedure this morning, and it was used incorrectly. I never use etc., e.g., et al., and so forth in the procedures I write. I decided a long time ago that Latin phrases have no place in a technical procedure. Not everybody has a clear understanding what they mean.

I remember that Amelia Bedelia said, "You told me to draw the drapes. Here's the picture I drew."
Old 06-12-19, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It entirely depends on if the poster subscribes to the same world views as I do.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.