Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Murder on my street overnight

Old 06-09-19, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Murder on my street overnight

As many of you are aware I am a Peace Officer for the town I live in. Put simply it is one form of PT Police Officer. We have police powers while on duty but are civilians while off duty.

I worked the Fireman's Carnival last night until almost 2 in the morning. This morning I wake up and my wife tells me my phone is going off and the Police Chief is trying to get a hold of me. "It must have something to do with down the street. There are twenty cop cars on the corner." Turns out a guy shot his roommate for making too much noise. Called 911 to turn himself in. Cops showed up, he was on the porch as promised, gun unloaded as promised. I was there all day as we were blocking off all or parts of the neighborhood to keep lookyloos away and so police and ME could come and go.

Couple interesting things which destroy your hope for humanity. First Neighbors were bitching about not getting their paper because parts of the road were closed and the guy couldn't deliver. Really? You're worried about your goddamned paper? No one knew the details yet so there was no guarantee the danger was over and they were worried about the newspaper.

Secondly. I am amazed at how many people think they can just drive around a police car that is blocking the road with the lights flashing. People who lived right there we were letting them go to their house. But you still have to stop. You can't just drive around. Others cutting through the neighborhood had to take an alternate route. One guy and I had words. Apparently he had left not long before and was returning. Without even slowing down he tried driving around me. He said I should have remembered him. He was driving a generic silver POS car and he didn't slow down long enough for me to even see who he was. I told him he still needed to slow down. I can't tell who you are driving that fast. Drive a cool car and I'll recognize the car but I can't tell him that. All silver cars look alike.

Old 06-09-19, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Murder on my street overnight

Damn, thatís crazy! Did your neighbors ever get their papers?
Old 06-09-19, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The suspect gave himself up, was safely in custody, and had been removed from the area. I don't understand why it was still so dangerous that the whole neighborhood was locked down.

Last year the police had a tense situation with someone blocks from my house. I got an automated phone call saying Do Not Leave Your Homes. The police think it's good practice to lock down a thousand people so the ME has easy access to the crime scene. It looks to me like part of the continuing encroachments on citizens' freedoms.
Old 06-09-19, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Woah. Sorry that happened and glad everyone besides the murder victim is safe. I hope everyone got their papers.
Old 06-09-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Every real murder I encounter is so fucking stupid. Murder is what someone does when they run out of options. Apparently some people run out of options way easy.
Old 06-09-19, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Damn, thatís crazy! Did your neighbors ever get their papers?
This is the best.

To the OP: people are lazy, stupid, selfish, inconsiderate sons-of-bitches.
Old 06-10-19, 01:04 AM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by JimRochester View Post
Murder on my street overnight... Neighbors were bitching about not getting their paper

Old 06-10-19, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

A few years back there was a terrible murder less than a block from my home. A guy murdered his seven year old stepson, before driving to the bank and stabbing a bank teller. It took almost a week before the police caught him near Manitoba.

It was real depressing walking home at night, and seeing all the balloons and stuffed animals that were left in front of the house by the boy's classmates. It was also really creepy, because I'd be the only person walking down the street at 2 in the morning, and I could sense being watched by a couple cops parked in a car across the street, watching the house in case he came back.

The murderer received a life sentence, with no eligibility of parole for 16 years. https://www.chch.com/st-catharines-m...d-life-prison/

What was crazy was around this same time, a guy who was part of the crowd I hung out with at the local bar for a couple of years murdered his wife. Stabbed her in the head multiple times while she was sleeping, with their young children right there in the house. He also got a "life sentence", but will be eligible for parole after only 12 years.
Old 06-10-19, 04:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Never mind all this jaw flapping. Open the fucking street so the Wal-Mart guy can get to my refrigerator.

Just kidding. I have friends who are cops or sheriff's deputies and I don't know how you all keep your cool sometimes. I don't defend police brutality or anything but cops see the worst of humanity and I couldn't do it.
Old 06-10-19, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
The suspect gave himself up, was safely in custody, and had been removed from the area. I don't understand why it was still so dangerous that the whole neighborhood was locked down.

Last year the police had a tense situation with someone blocks from my house. I got an automated phone call saying Do Not Leave Your Homes. The police think it's good practice to lock down a thousand people so the ME has easy access to the crime scene. It looks to me like part of the continuing encroachments on citizens' freedoms.
I also think this lockdown is overkill. Why were 20 cop cars needed to take one willing, cooperative suspect into custody? Wouldn't 3 or 4 have sufficed? Or were you exaggerating? I get that you had to have backup there and didn't completely know what else might be involved in the situation, but man!

I'm not making light of the situation, mind you, however I think sometimes the cops do get a bit carried away in their overzealousness... Fortunately, I've never had even a token experience with anything so harrowing as a murder in my WASPy neighborhood, but I'd probably be well protected, if locked down, for hours to days if it should happen ... I guess the folks in the inner cities wouldn't be so lucky, so I'll quit my bitching and thank you for doing your civic duty in your community.

As an aside, I can actually see how this guy might have been set off. It probably wasn't the first situation with loud noise with the inconsiderate roommate, but after hundreds of incidents and lots of pressure built up, the guy just flipped. I can't *stand* asshole neighbors with their loud noise, motorcycles revving up at 6 am that you can hear half a mile away, barking dogs, and general inconsiderate ways. I wouldn't murder over it (at least, not while I was still sane), but the mind wonders and schemes a million ways to dispatch these entitled asshole neighbors, who aren't being reasonable by any stretch of truth.
Old 06-10-19, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The entire neighborhood being locked down was for a relatively short period of time. Just long enough for the paper guy to not deliver and apparently he didn't try to come back later. The original call came in at 4:30am for a murder. Even though they show up and take the apparent shooter in custody, they still went door to door to interview neighbors and to make sure he wasn't covering for someone else who was roaming. For the rest of the day just the area immediately around the house and a portion of the main road leading to it was closed. My road is a horseshoe so people could come and go freely from the eastside intersection. Anyone who lived on the portion that was closed could come and go after about 8AM. We were just keeping out sightseers and people cutting through. Everyone could get where they needed to go, just some had to take a detour instead of a shortcut. All I asked is that people who lived there stop or slow so I could see who they were, don't just try and blow by me.

It's not like TV. You don't get the warrant signed and have the suspect in prison in 44 minutes. It took hours to get the warrant written, signed and executed. Then everything pertinent in the house had to be photographed and inventoried. The Medical Examiner didn't take the body until late afternoon. The very last officer left the scene at 6:30 pm although everything had been opened up hours prior.
Old 06-10-19, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That makes a lot more sense.

I only have one experience with a crime scene. I went to the video store at 11 PM and rented some video tapes. About an hour later someone killed everyone in the store. There were five people murdered, three employees and two grandparents of an employee. When I tried to return the videos three days later, the crime scene investigation guys intercepted me an put the videos in the van.
Old 06-10-19, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My friend and neighbor killed himself in the street in front of our house a month ago. My other neighbor was calling the cops when I came out of my house a minute later. The first cop showed up within 5-10 minutes, and then about 10 more cops over the next 10 minutes. Along with them was a fire truck, ambulance, and a couple of other cars for victim's advocacy and whatnot. They blocked off the middle of my street for the better part of 4 hrs, finally covering up and collecting the body around the 3 hr mark. Why it took 4 hours to open up a street and release around 15 personnel for a suicide is beyond me.
Old 06-10-19, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ Handle the scene correctly just in case it wasnít a suicide?
Old 06-10-19, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!

Indeed, the protocols are there to minimize the kind of crap sloppy policework used to lead to. Checklists and supervisors and paperwork oh my. Thank you for your professionalism Jim.
Old 06-10-19, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We had a murder across the street from us a few years back. I was watching TV around midnight when I heard three loud pops, followed by a bunch of sirens a few minutes later. I'm not sure if they ever found the killer, but I never worried about it much because it was a habitual drug dealer who most likely pissed off the wrong person. His fellow shitty tenants bailed or were evicted, the house was completely gutted and renovated, and it's now on the market for $300K. Hooray for gentrification!
Old 06-10-19, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wonder if this guy didn't have a gun readily available, would he have stabbed his roommate to death?
Old 06-10-19, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

At this point we don't know which of the three people in the house owned the gun or how it got into his possession. So it is tough to speculate. This is a fairly rural area. Lots of farmland. Lots of hunting. The kind of area where people save vacation time for hunting season. So gun ownership is very common. Initial reports were regarding the noise the deceased was making at the time of the homicide. However there were ongoing interviews with the third roommate and neighbors so much information was being gathered. You can't just take the initiators word for it. If the guy snapped that bad because of the altercation and a baseball bat, a lamp, a hammer or a kitchen knife were handy I'm sure the result would have been the same but obviously no way of knowing. This was our first homicide in 18 years so it made the news. The big deal for me was it was on my street.
Old 06-11-19, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ View Post
Damn, that’s crazy! Did your neighbors ever get their papers?
I really love DVDtalk sometimes.

Last edited by tanman; 06-11-19 at 02:36 AM.
Old 06-11-19, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The papers were delivered Monday morning. Crisis averted. My wife went for a walk last night and naturally the neighbors are all talking about the homicide. I asked if anyone was still bitching about the newspaper but she said no.

I haven't gone back in yet cause I have taser class for two days. I'll go in later in the week to get an update.
Old 06-11-19, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to hear more about this taser class.

Is it the class where the officers all get zapped so they know what it feels like? A dealer told me that modern tasers will put someone down for 10-15 minutes, giving me lots of time to get away. Is that true? He stocked only one model that was mild enough for people to hit each other for "fun". Yes, I asked him.
Old 06-11-19, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

wow. People still subscribe to newspapers? I don't think a single house in my neighborhood has a subscription.
Old 06-11-19, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll

Old 06-11-19, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They call it going for a ride or riding the lightning. My son just did it for his class so I had to show him dad can still do it. It hits for 5 seconds and you can tell it's intense pain. A good hit will not only hurt but create NMI, neuro muscular interruption or incapacitation. Meaning you lock up. The idea is to lock up the person so they can't fight but you can still manipulate arms to get cuffs on. This is a five minute video but the last four minutes is the probe removal training.

Old 06-11-19, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
wow. People still subscribe to newspapers? I don't think a single house in my neighborhood has a subscription.
There are only five houses in my cul-de-sac, and two of them get newspapers. I'm up at 4:30 when the papers are delivered by someone driving fast. Whump. Whump.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.